Double-glazing

bkk_mike

Looking at the electricity bill (most of it going on A/C) - I can't help thinking that double-glazed windows would cut it dramatically - even if we only double-glaze the bedrooms since mostly the air-con is used when we're sleeping.

However, I've never even seen double-glazing here. Is it available? (A search on google only seems to find hotels with double glazing, double-glazing for BMWs, not companies doing replacement windows).

In my house, the bedrooms were very hot, not because of the ladies, because of the sun etc, all the time got to put the air con on, but we have had the loft lined and it has cut the heat coming from the loft area, it acts the same as loft insulation in the uk, the thai equivelant keeps some of the heat out, it does help, also if you get vertical blinds on the windows which you can close in the day, they are not that expensive, the loft insulation are like big foil sheets that you put in the loft and they reflect the heat, go to a good builders merchants or pick up a thai magazine on building thats how i came across it, all the best.

How about reflective transparencies (gold/silver/black) stuck to the inside of the windows like the skyscrapers in BKK have. This would reduce the heat exchange from outside by radiation and conduction through the glass from the sun during the day. It would also take out the glare. Padded curtains during the night (as said above) will stop the 'cold' loss during the night. Shutters may also help during the day (especially with security too), but will block the light too.

Secondary glazing might be a cheaper alternative too.

The cheapest way to get it done is to just order from the local glass shop. You may need to show them when they make the first one and you probably need to import the special tape that goes between the windows. I know someone who brought in a few rolls of that tape in his luggage and had double glazed windows custom made very cheap in BKK. Having them made there and then exported to europe turned out to be cheaper than to order them there...

How about reflective transparencies (gold/silver/black) stuck to the inside of the windows like the skyscrapers in BKK have.

I think that's a good idea....Like the film on car windows... I have the mirrored type on my car, and there is only the slightest feeling of heat getting through when the sun is shining directly on it...

How about reflective transparencies (gold/silver/black) stuck to the inside of the windows like the skyscrapers in BKK have.

I think that's a good idea....Like the film on car windows... I have the mirrored type on my car, and there is only the slightest feeling of heat getting through when the sun is shining directly on it...

Only if you like "living in a cave" feeling IMHO. You block too much light with effective film. But if only the bedroom perhaps it would be ok.

Assume poster is living in a home if talking about changing windows so would start with ceiling and if that is hot get good insulation above it. Good drapes will probably be more cost effective than changing windows and cleaning the air conditioner might also be in order. If old a new model? If upstairs with high heat buildup during the day a fan to pull outside air across room and out high on wall might be useful.

Try the following:

1. Film on the windows

2. Blind outside to shade window.

3. Check existing windows fit the frames, no gaps to allow air to escape.

4. Check position of a/c compressor. If it is in direct sunlight it cannot work at maximum efficiency.

5. Make sure a/c is a modern low energy unit ( high efficiency)

6. Loft/ceiling insulation

Edited by astral

try doing secondary double glazing.if your frames wood and you have enough internal clearance around the inner framework run some square beading around the frame tack down with panel pins.if you can get it buy aroll of thin draught exluder used to put around door frames its got sticky tape on the back peel off the paper apply to the beading measure the frame buy a sheet of glass the same size or just a fraction smaller put in place then tack more beading around the glass to hold it in place.make sure the glass is clean on original window and new glass beforehand put slight pressure on glass when attaching beading to form a seal and hey presto one good looking double glaized window that you you will still be able to see through in a years time and will also reduce noise levels from outside.

try doing secondary double glazing.if your frames wood and you have enough internal clearance around the inner framework run some square beading around the frame tack down with panel pins.if you can get it buy aroll of thin draught exluder used to put around door frames its got sticky tape on the back peel off the paper apply to the beading measure the frame buy a sheet of glass the same size or just a fraction smaller put in place then tack more beading around the glass to hold it in place.make sure the glass is clean on original window and new glass beforehand put slight pressure on glass when attaching beading to form a seal and hey presto one good looking double glaized window that you you will still be able to see through in a years time and will also reduce noise levels from outside.

Don't you have to remove the air or use a gas between the panes of glass to really cut down transfer?

i did this to an old house in england in 5 years i was there never had condensation form between the panes i tried the plastic stretch way first you couldn,t really see through the windows.the secret is making a seal with the foam tape you use around the frame.i don,t know if it would work well with a/c inside extreme heat outside although the wider the beading between the panes of glass might help.would suggest try it on one frame for a few months.

Don't you have to remove the air or use a gas between the panes of glass to really cut down transfer?

My parents had secondary glazing for a LONG time. It actually works better than a lot of double-glazed units because there's generally a far larger gap (insulating layer) between the panes.

Air, so long as the gap is sealed properly, is a pretty good insulator.

Try the following:

1. Film on the windows

2. Blind outside to shade window.

3. Check existing windows fit the frames, no gaps to allow air to escape.

4. Check position of a/c compressor. If it is in direct sunlight it cannot work at maximum efficiency.

5. Make sure a/c is a modern low energy unit ( high efficiency)

6. Loft/ceiling insulation

YEEH - I wish I would have consulted you BEFORE starting to build our house :o

Are you in the business?

Fortunately we don't have to use the A/C too much but I like the idea with the blinds outside.

THX for the advice!