Brand New Fridge Has Only 2-pin Plug

junkofdavid2

My landlady gave me a brand new Hitachi fridge 2-door.

Works great! Even on the lowest setting (1) it cools really well in the fridge part and freezes well in the freezer part.

However, it only has a 2-pin plug.

Is this normal?

Is this safe?

If this isn't safe, what should I do? If I change the power cable, it could void the warranty. (Like I said, it's brand new).

Any 'simple' solution? I wouldn't wana haul my huge brand new fridge to the 'authorized' service center just to change a plug.

:o

Added Info: It's 6.7 Amperes I think is what the sticker says, but it's in Thai so I'm not exactly sure. It also 'seems' to say 1,498 Watts.

Edited by junkofdavid2

If it's double insulated it's ok. There should be a sticker somewhere on the fridge with the voltage requirement and other data. On this sticker there should be symbol for double insulation, the symbol is a small square inside a larger square.

If the plug looks like this the "Schuko" plug on this page http://www.crossy.co.uk/wiring/plugs.html you need to get an adaptor as shown on the same page for it to be safe.

If it's a 'regular' 2 pin plug then your fridge should be 'double insulated' and does not require a ground :o

Yup, I'm "electrically literate" enough to know what a Schuko plug is (thanks to Crossy for that!) and it's not such plug.

Double insulated I guess... although I did seem to sense a very mild ground when I touched it's power cable when plugged into the wall. :D

Edited by junkofdavid2

As already said two pin plug is quite normal in Thailand.

If you get a mild tingle when touching the metal frame put the plug in the socket the other way to change the “live” connection.

Alternatively If you have a known earth nearby get a length of wire and connect the frame of the fridge to it.

:o

If the fridge has the double insulated symbol it MUST NOT be connected to earth as this could be very dangerous.

Hi ZZZ.

Whilst not doubting your statement, I would be very interested in what possible failure mechanism could cause a hazard by grounding totally isolated (by the double insulation) metalwork :o

I just received a new Hitachi today also and it has the gud awful two round pin plug that most computer speakers use and no apparent instructions to ground the unit. But I have found a short green ground wire from SS chases to a screw in what appears to be in plastic drip pan? More searching after other unit repaired.

If the fridge has the double insulated symbol it MUST NOT be connected to earth as this could be very dangerous.

Hi ZZZ.

Whilst not doubting your statement, I would be very interested in what possible failure mechanism could cause a hazard by grounding totally isolated (by the double insulation) metalwork :o

I have noticed that this is normally mentioned in the manual that comes with the equipment. If the equipment is double insulated there is usually a warning that you must not connect this equipment to ground.

For a long explanation read this:

http://www.questronix.com.au/info/info_tingles.htm

Hi ZZZ.

Whilst not doubting your statement, I would be very interested in what possible failure mechanism could cause a hazard by grounding totally isolated (by the double insulation) metalwork :D

I have noticed that this is normally mentioned in the manual that comes with the equipment. If the equipment is double insulated there is usually a warning that you must not connect this equipment to ground.

For a long explanation read this:

http://www.questronix.com.au/info/info_tingles.htm

Good info there ZZZ, I particularly liked the bit about the 'totally insulated' cables, definately a ZZZap!!! :o

That said, we are talking about a fridge which is not AV kit (although they are often found in AV/OB caravans, the contents being champagne or beer depending upon the nationality of the crew), nor does it have a switching PSU with its attendant mains filter leakage. I would never ground a double insulated appliance, it most certainly does not require it (the vast majority has plastic casings anyway), but I still don't believe doing so would constitute a hazard.

I don't have a manual to hand so I can't comment on any statement found within, although I think such a statement is more intended to prevent id10ts from screwing a self-tapper into a hole somewhere in order to attach a (totally unecessary) ground :D

Edited by Crossy

I’m not a qualified electrician, so any info from me is just my limited common sense or personal experiences.

I put one of those neon mains tester screwdriver thingies on the cassis of our fridge and the neon lit up. I then took the two pin pug out of the wall socket and put it back the other way and the neon did not light any more.

To me that seemed a good idea. :D

I then did the same with the other kitchen appliances that had only a two pin pug, if the neon lit up I reversed the plug.

We also had tingling from the TV DVD and stereo unit when I went to plug in those red-yellow-white connectors. These units all had two pin plugs.

I tried reversing the plug trick but that did not work, I guess because they were all connected together. To solve this tingling I bought some of those small eyelet connectors attached them to chassis screws at the back of the units (except the TV that had no metal showing) and wired the whole lot to earth.

No more tingling. :D

“Crossy”

Great web page with good information. I particularly like the Power Boards example, so easy to think you have a three pin connection. Being the skeptic that I am these days I still check the earth connection between the socket on the board with the plug pin either with one of those neon circuit testers or by taking the board apart before use. :o

:D

We also had tingling from the TV DVD and stereo unit when I went to plug in those red-yellow-white connectors. These units all had two pin plugs.

I tried reversing the plug trick but that did not work, I guess because they were all connected together. To solve this tingling I bought some of those small eyelet connectors attached them to chassis screws at the back of the units (except the TV that had no metal showing) and wired the whole lot to earth.

That's exactly the issue referred to in ZZZ's link, lots of small leakages building up into something that bites. Grounding your AV can do no harm but may introduce hum (both audio and video). In the days before AV kit had two pin plugs getting rid of ground-introduced hum was a major headache, try a Google on 'ground loops' :o

I've never yet come across a normal domestic frig that is double insulated. If it has a metal chassis (metal clad), it will require an earth. My UK friend in Klaeng had a "metal clad" frig that came with the standard Thai "speaker wire" lead & 2 pin plug. He & his family started to get "zapped" from the frig. Strangely, I did tell him over 1 year ago (when I rewired his house) that this frig needed to be earthed. He chose to ignore me & to cite that "why would a frig need to be "earthed" if it came with a 2 pin plug"?

He has since changed his mind & is now listening to reason.

I can add one for you,,,,,,,,,,,not a fridge but a Victor water cooler/dispenser for the 5 gallon drinking water bottles.

When I bought the unit it comes with the typical 2 bladed plug(non-polarized) and hanging from the rear metal chassis is a green wire about 1 meter long. The manual in Thai indicates the unit should be earthed using the green wire,,,,,,,,,,??!!

So what do you think most Thais or anyone else would do?

My guess is just plug in the unit and ignore the green wire.

Some folks will actually put a screw into the cement wall next to the unit and wrap the bare end of the wire to the screw,,,,,,,,,!!!

If the manufacturer spends the baht to put the green wire there why not just add a 3 wire plug and be done with it?

Simple,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,most people will not have a earthed receptacle and just cut off the earth pin!!

So they hope the green wire will be used I suppose.

The Mitsubishi fridge in my rental also has the typical 2 wire (non polarized plug) zip wire for the power. No ground wires available like the water cooler.

I think this plug is pretty standard for fridges here in LOS

One of the most annoying & futile things is the fact that the Thai Industrial Standards Institute waste their time with such things as applying mandatory standards for;

A.C. electric fans: safety requirements (TIS 934-2533 (1990)).

Ballast for fluorescent lamps (TIS 23-2521 (1978)).

Electric fryers : safety requirement (TIS 1509-2547 (2004))

Electric irons: safety requirement (TIS 366-2547 (2004))

Electric rice-cookers : safety requirements (TIS 1039-2547 (2004))

Electric stoves; open type heating elements: safety requirements (TIS 870-2532 (1989))

Electric thermopots : safety requirements (TIS 2062-2543 (2000))

Electrical switches (TIS 824-2531 (1988)),

when there is/are no apparent standard(s) for domestic electrical wiring. I have searched high & low for such standards & have been unable to find any as such. Maybe somebody else has had better luck?

One may say, "At least they are starting somewhere"...but the "where" is the problem. It's no good applying mandatory standards to cookers, irons etc unless the electrical supply is up to a minimum standard that supports the safety of the devices/appliances.

http://www.tisi.go.th/

http://library.tisi.go.th/E/fulltext_e/Tis...itle_e/P1_e.htm

If you get a mild tingle when touching the metal frame put the plug in the socket the other way to change the “live” connection.

Is the tingling dangerous?

I actually like the tingling when I'm in the mood for it. :o

The 'tingle' is an indication that there is leakage between the mains and the casework. In itself it's not likely to be hazardous (at least until the leak becomes a full blown short, then you die), BUT it is a definate sign that your appliance is NOT double-insulated and a ground is required for electrical safety.

Reversing the plug may give relief from the tickle but it won't make the device safe, only a proper ground will do that.

Our new Toshiba fridge-freezer has a Schuko plug (yes it's plugged into the correct outlet), although I must admit I've not checked if the ground connection actually goes to the casework (not something I'm likely to do in the West).

Edited by Crossy