Kasem's

sylviex

1. I know the Kasem's grocery store in Nimmmmmmmannnnnnnehheimmmmmmannnnnnnnn Rd.

I understand this is the "second" Kasem's. If so, where is the "first" one ?

2. Could someone who is good at maps/directions please post directions for both locations ?

(Another member asked me ; I am not good at this.)

3. While we are on the topic, why not post items Kasem's are good for ?

I found lentils there.

1. I know the Kasem's grocery store in Nimmmmmmmannnnnnnehheimmmmmmannnnnnnnn Rd.

I understand this is the "second" Kasem's. If so, where is the "first" one ?

2. Could someone who is good at maps/directions please post directions for both locations ?

(Another member asked me ; I am not good at this.)

3. While we are on the topic, why not post items Kasem's are good for ?

I found lentils there.

'Grandma Kasem' is a legend in her own lunch time. The very first shop in Chiang Mai to offer western food items. Not cheap, but not outrageous either.

To find No 1, start from the east side of the moat and turn left (east) down Chang Moy Road with the original Mike's Original Burger place in front of you. Down there, round the left hand bend and over Stinking Klong Bridge. Turn left at the first traffic lights (into Ratchawong Rd, another one way street at this point) and Kasems (No 1) is about 5 shops along on your left.

Happy grazing!

Oh yes, Kasem No 2

Neimenhiemen Road, near the Rincome Junction. Go down the road towards the junction and it is on the Left Hand Side, after Soi Kasem and opposite, about Soi 5.

It is set back a bit between a spa and the pig cafe. Has a sign in English (unlike Kasem 1).

Now for Kasem 3 ..............

To find No 1, start from the east side of the moat and turn left (east) down Chang Moy Road with the original Mike's Original Burger place in front of you. Down there, round the left hand bend and over Stinking Klong Bridge. Turn left at the first traffic lights (into Ratchawong Rd, another one way street at this point) and Kasems (No 1) is about 5 shops along on your left.

That comports perfectly with the directions I would give, except for one thing: there are no traffic lights at the junction where you say to turn left.

I get my coffee beans and bananas and p1p's fantastic tomato sauce at Kasem's.

Mae Kasem has been like a mother to me for the last 23 years. She always loads me up with free stuff when I visit, and she is always ready to receive customers. It has been my pleasure to watch everyone in her family become their own great person. :o

Edited by Ajarn

Well, I will differ in respect of Ma Kasem.

I have found her to be verging on senility.

Kasem's might have been OK before the advent of Rimping and Tops etc., but ma (and her daughters) are well past their use by date.

I spoke just recently to a Thai business man (2nd generation) and he agreed Kasem's is now 3rd generation and has lost the plot.

Ma has on several occasions said I will get this or that but "she is full of hot air"

I know that my best years have gone but the posters who even remotely suggest that Kasems have got what it takes are far removed from reality.

20 years ago it was the only place in Chiangmai (the only deli) but now they are just another hole in the wall.

Kasem's might have been OK before the advent of Rimping and Tops etc., but ma (and her daughters) are well past their use by date.

I spoke just recently to a Thai business man (2nd generation) and he agreed Kasem's is now 3rd generation and has lost the plot.

Ma has on several occasions said I will get this or that but "she is full of hot air"

I know that my best years have gone but the posters who even remotely suggest that Kasems have got what it takes are far removed from reality.

20 years ago it was the only place in Chiangmai (the only deli) but now they are just another hole in the wall.

She's still a great women, and her family is tops, no matter what garbage others have to spout. :o

:o Never knew people had a use-by date. If you are indeed au fait with such calculations could you tell me mine ? I'd really like to know so as to adjust habits accordingly.

I could care less about what the businessman says.

I noted Ajarn's words carefully. I will continue to shop at Kasem's.

I doubt many of us live in Chiang Mai for the supermarkets.

Small shops of long standing add something to a city. Reflect on how much more charm - and specialized service too - the boutiques, butchers, fromageries, et al of a Paris have vs the standardized and rampant supermarkets of american or increasingly, english towns. France has laws to protect these small businesses, shops and local food markets from the supermarkets - the latter being permitted only outside towns and, if inside, only in limited numbers and size.

I'm for supporting the Kasems of CM.

Edited by lotus eater

Must say I also have a very soft spot for Mae Kasem and have never found her to be anything but generous with her time and her character. My children all love her too and never leave her shop empty handed.

I recently noticed a sign advertising another Kasem at the new "Square" next to the big Siam Commercial Bank before Tesco on the road out towards Hang Dong. I haven't checked it out yet so am unsure if it is the same group.

Here is a nice story about the history of Kasem Store

Thanks for that. I've known and liked Mae Kasem for nearly two years now, but simply as the old lady in the store whom I always had fun seeking out to greet without ever knowing who she was. Now, with the picture in the article, I know who she is. :o

She's still a great women, and her family is tops, no matter what garbage others have to spout. :o

I second that one. Many people walk into the shop and she still greets them by name which she was told only once as much as twenty years ago.

Whooooaaaaaa John! Get your tin hat on. I've just been fined a jar of Marmite and had my licence endorsed just for inserting a set of traffic lights!!

Let me make amends: "Turn left where there BLOODY WELL OUGHT TO BE A SET OF TRAFFIC LIGHTS!!"

Here is a nice story about the history of Kasem Store

Thanks for that. I've known and liked Mae Kasem for nearly two years now, but simply as the old lady in the store whom I always had fun seeking out to greet without ever knowing who she was. Now, with the picture in the article, I know who she is. :o

I still go there irregularly - my main place for the types of things she sells is Rimping which is much more convenient for me. I used to laugh at the way they kept the vegemite locked up in a glass cabinet. She told me once that she had tried it and couldn't understand why or how anyone could eat it. I told her it was a cultural thing like eating unhatched ducks still in their egg. She laughed and understood.

CB

I would like to put in my 2 cents worth or now lets say 10 satang.

JBG so sorry to hear that you feel that negatively about Mae Kasem.

To me she is a very, very special lady. I like to feel , that for my part at least, we have been friends for the plus side of 20 years. For this time she has always been Kn. Gee, to me, at least to now she has never corrected me for using that name.

As others have stated, she does have a very special outlook of life and has a way of instantly making you feel good about and very comfortable in her presence. This is a very special and unique ability. She always seems able to slip you a cupcake or muffin or cookie, most of the time, at least for me, not openly or outward, but more like a hidden secret in your purchase bag.

Always willing to help, even when meeting a stranger for the 1st time. I I had friends who came for a visit about 10 years ago, who had a chance to meet her, and to this day, any email or phone call from them , comes with a request " how is Kn. Gee".

Living here for a good number of years, I have met many, many people, who I really feel the world would have been better off if they had not contributed to the 'gene pool' . I am sure we have all met people like that. But I think that the world is NOT a better place due to Kn. Gee not having children. I am sure they would have been beautiful people, just like her.

I hope she is here and is able to shower her special goodness on people, for many many years to come. Best of health and good luck to you Kn. Gee.

OMHP maybe not O , but many, at least I hope.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Yes, I was in her shop just the other day to get one of her nice apple turnovers. She asked me "what kind of bananas do you like?" (she had a small armful of two different types). I said "I like all bananas". So she gave them all to me! :o This has yet to happen to me at TOPs

Coming a bit late to this topic but I've got to agree I've always found all the staff at Kasem's helpful and if I'm with the kids they will always come away with a free snack.

It's one of those chiang mai institutions like the gymkahna or spotlight :o

I agree with the positive stuff about Kasems. Their freshly baked bread and meat pies are delicious and great value. If it wasn't for the difficulty parking outside each location, I'd visit a lot more often.

Edited by Loaded