Visa Based On Having A Kid

had a pow wow once with a person and he told me I could obtain a long term visa based on having a kid in Thailand. Based on the suporting a Thai national being a minor rule or somethng like that. Now he told me when my son is 7 years old he can sign a declaration that I am his legal father this together with his passport and brth certificate would suffice to get me a long term visa.

Now the question is is this info true and if so how should I proceed and where to go and if nt how can I obtain a visa if not married but do have a son who will be 7 in september.

Thanks for the help.

Just did this and it's easy if number one: you're 50+, you have birth certificate with your name on it as father and tabian bahn (sp). or house papers. I also showed our marriage certificate and was asked for pictures of our family. With this type of visa, you don't have to show a monthly or yearly income. I did have copy of my bank statement showing that I received over the minimum but it is not required. It makes it easier as with the marriage one, you have to show a new paper from your Embassy that is less than one year old stating you make that money.

I tried getting a Non-O extension yesterday at Suan Plu accompanied by my 7 year old daughter and her mother (we live together but are not married). This is what I brought with me:

1. Completed TM-7 form

2. My daughters birth certificate showing me as her father

3. Copies of all passports (me, my daughter, the mother)

4. Financial documents showing my income and bank balance (apparently not required)

5. A collage of photo's showing where we live, family shots showing us all together, and various shots of us with our daughter at her school functions.

My intention was to extend under 1.17 (5) of police order 606/2549 based on much of what I've read on this site.

First of all the immigration officer we were unfortunate to get, didn't speak a single word of English. This is surprising since you would think someone working in that capacity should at least have a fundemental knowlege of more than one language.

It took the lady less than 15 seconds to reject my application. She leaf'd through my papers, didn't read a single word (she couldn't have any way, not understanding English), then said "no marriage certificate, no extension" (in Thai of coarse). I wasn't even applying on the bases of marriage!

I said "What about item 1.17 (5) of police order 606/2549". She just nodded her head and said no...no...no! Off I went with no extension.

I don't know what to think! Is 1.17 (5) a load of bunk? Is she un-aware of the police order 606/2549? Was I missing a document? Maybe she just didn't like me; apart from being visably upset I didn't confront her in any way.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to add...I'm 51 years old.

Edited by TimTang

Fortunately I still have my last entry so I have 90 days to prepare for another visit. The lady was kind enough to offer a 60 day extension for 1900 Baht, but I would rather do a border run and get 90.

I phoned Sunbelt and they were very helpful (for free! even). They informed me that I can still apply for an extension beyond the visa expiration date, based on my last 90 day stamp. I wasn't aware of that.

They also said I may need a legal document providing proof of parenthood and custody (this may not fly well with the mother!). This process is apparently expensive and takes about 6 months in the courts. This seems a little devisive for a family so I'm not really keen on taking this approach because it might appear like I'm ripping my daughter away from her mother.

The other option is to get married! Yikes! Is there a cheap low-key way of doing this, if I choose this avenue?

Financial documents are not required using 7.17(5) but it is designed to allow older folks to live with and receive care from there children in there twilight years. If used for young children there can be legal issues requiring court actions as reported in post #10. I expect information in that post is reflective of current policy.

Cheap marriage? Easy at start. No guarantee for future. You obtain paper from your Embassy saying you are eligible to marry. You translate into Thai and register at Ministry of Foreign Affairs. You and spouse visit a district office with id and register the marriage. You need two witness and perhaps someone to translate but can be anyone. Takes a few minutes. Total cost about 2,000-6,000 baht.

Marriage

Marriage Registration

Regulations

1. A couple must be of legal age (17 years) upon filing for marriage registration, otherwise permission must be granted by a court.

2. Permission from the parents is required for parties under legal age.

3. Both parties must not be registered as married to anyone else (Multiple marriage registration is prohibited).

4. The parties must not be direct blood relatives nor be sister or brother through either parent.

5. Adopting parents shall not be permitted to marry their own adopted child.

6. A widow or divorcee will be permitted to remarry not less than 310 days after the previous marriage has expired, unless

* Has given birth to a child.

* Remarrying the same person.

* Not pregnant, as certified by doctor. (in case of early remarriage)

* Approval to remarry from a court is obtained.

7. No service fee is required whatsoever.

Required Documents

1. Identification Cards of both parties.

2. The House Registration Certificates of both parties.

3. If an alien is registering to be married to a Thai citizen or another alien, he or she is required to submit following documents.

* A copy of their passport.

* A Letter of Certification, issued by an Embassy or Consulate or a Government Organization from their country, regarding the marital status of the person. The Letter must be translated, then certified by the relevant Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Procedures

1. Marriage registration can be filed at any District Office or Minor District Office nationwide regardless of the birthplace of the couple.

2. Once the marriage registration is completed, each party will be given a copy of the Marriage Registration Certificate as evidence.

3. If the marriage registration is filed at the District Office located in female's birthplace (where the name is registered on the House Registration Certificate), the title used with the forename and the last name of the female will be changed by the District Officer. The female is required to file for a new Identification Card within 60 days. A service fee of 10 baht is required. If the marriage is registered elsewhere, the female is required to contact the local District Office to change her name and last name, as well as filing for a new Identification Card.

4. If both parties are unable to file for marriage at any District Office of Minor District Office, the couple can submit a request to the Registrar to register their marriage at any location under the supervision of that District Office. The parties filing for marriage are required to provide transportation for the Registrar. A service fee of 200 baht is required.

Thanks for the info. lopburi3!

I've got to run now, but will pop back later. Hopefully others will contribute they're experiences in this matter.

I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with this issue (7.17-5).

I did go in first to try the Marriage way but when I didn't have a current statement from the US Embassy stating how much I receive per month, the older lady taking care of it, refused it and sent me to her higher up and then that's when she told me about the Thai support visa, everything went well after that.

Edited by SnakeBite

- have legal firm such as Sunbelt help you.

Thats funny....I went to sunbelt after my visa hassles, just to see if they could do anything as I was hitting a brickwall for the first time. They took a copy of everything, said they would call me the next day with recommendations.

Never heard from them.

And here is a customer that usually never uses a visa service, but was willing to lay out some cash to get it doen and zip, nuttin, nahda.

I presume the replies in here are mostly from guys over 50 that are either getting or thinking to get the 'thai child support' visa ?

This is not about a visa - it is an extension of stay - and it is not about support - there is none required.

There are links to two English translations and the original Thai from useful information pinned items at the top of this visa section. Download Police Order 606/2006

So how does this paragraph relate to an extension of stay for section/case 7.17

Transitory Provisions

13. If an alien who has entered Thailand before this Order came into force and has been

continuously granted temporary stay is found to lack the qualifications as prescribed in this

Order, the Commissioner of the Immigration Bureau or competent official shall consider

and decide on the particular case based on the prevailing reasons and circumstances within 1

year from the effective date hereof.

Fortunately I still have my last entry so I have 90 days to prepare for another visit. The lady was kind enough to offer a 60 day extension for 1900 Baht, but I would rather do a border run and get 90.

I phoned Sunbelt and they were very helpful (for free! even). They informed me that I can still apply for an extension beyond the visa expiration date, based on my last 90 day stamp. I wasn't aware of that.

They also said I may need a legal document providing proof of parenthood and custody (this may not fly well with the mother!). This process is apparently expensive and takes about 6 months in the courts. This seems a little devisive for a family so I'm not really keen on taking this approach because it might appear like I'm ripping my daughter away from her mother.

The other option is to get married! Yikes! Is there a cheap low-key way of doing this, if I choose this avenue?

If your child is under 7 years old and you don't have a marriage certificate then you need a court order for the court to sign on the child’s behalf that you are the father.

In your case easier to wait till Sept. when your child turns 7 years old and then get the paperwork at the regional office stating that you are the father.

And here is a customer that usually never uses a visa service, but was willing to lay out some cash to get it doen and zip, nuttin, nahda.

I saw Josh followed up and you said it was him. That is "funny" as you said, as Josh is 100% client service oriented. Perhaps it was a typo on the tel #, e-mail caught in the filter but I will get to the bottom of it because as I said its not our standard of service.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com

So are we saying if you are over 50, have a thai child whose under 7 with your thai partner and you are not married you have to go to court to prove you are the father even though you have a thai and english birth certificate nameing you as the father and a british passport (In my case) for my thai born daughter to get your extension of stay?

Yes. It appears that under the requirement “proof of family relationship” most immgration offices currently accept a child’s signed affirmation that you are the father if the child is at least 7 years old. Below that age, other proof is needed in addition to the birth certificate and Sunbelt’s post was undoubtedly on the basis of experience in cases his law firm handled.

--

Maestro

I just got married. 1500 for the Notarized declaration of ability to marry, 500 to translate it, to certify at Thai Foreign Affairs??? I forget...either 400 or 800 for the exedited process ( a couple of hours) so lets say 800.... so far 2800. Then the wedding.... 30 baht for the paperwork extra for iced coffee and kanom for the ladies in the office and a little extra for my new wifes new ID card. No witnesses. No fuss. 2830 baht. That was at the village district office.

Yes. It appears that under the requirement "proof of family relationship" most immgration offices currently accept a child's signed affirmation that you are the father if the child is at least 7 years old. Below that age, other proof is needed in addition to the birth certificate and Sunbelt's post was undoubtedly on the basis of experience in cases his law firm handled.

--

Maestro

What if as in my case, I am married to a Thai and have a child who has her British & Thai birth certs she is 14 months old. I am 57 and will return to Thailand soon with wife and child from Spain can I now stay in Thailand without haveing to show cash in the bank?

Yes. It appears that under the requirement "proof of family relationship" most immgration offices currently accept a child's signed affirmation that you are the father if the child is at least 7 years old. Below that age, other proof is needed in addition to the birth certificate and Sunbelt's post was undoubtedly on the basis of experience in cases his law firm handled.

--

Maestro

What if as in my case, I am married to a Thai and have a child who has her British & Thai birth certs she is 14 months old. I am 57 and will return to Thailand soon with wife and child from Spain can I now stay in Thailand without haveing to show cash in the bank?

Yes, looks as though you can as you have all the requirements. Over 50, Married and a Thai Child!

I miss out because we're not married, but have all the other attributes. I would have to go the court route, wait 6 months and pay some bucks (Not sure how much)

Edited by jflundy

Politely ask for person to check - show them the Thai version (you can download from link in pinned items) - have legal firm such as Sunbelt help you.

Hi , lopburi3

I was told by Sunbelt when I enquired about this that I needed to be married can you confirm please if I need to be

Also never see anything about being 7 years old before maybe I misread

Read post #21 from Sunbelt. If not married and child under 7 it will require court paperwork.

If your child is under 7 years old and you don't have a marriage certificate then you need a court order for the court to sign on the child’s behalf that you are the father.