Andamart

DanBlack

My wife has recently opened up a minimart near Chalong. If anyone has anything they think might sell well in the store, or want to advertise anything on the window, feel free to drop by. It is located just off Chao-Fa Rd. E. about 1/4 km S. from the Zoo Rd. Phuket Country home and Sandy's corner are on the corner. From Chao-Fa W. it is the 1st soi N. of Wat Chalong. Drop by any time, but the best time is around 6 when we are usually sitting around the beer table out in front

Been there done that, cool couple, if you want something they don't have they will have it next time you go.

Bit odd for Thailand but they seem to be customer orientated.

Sit outside have a lady pie, read a paper whilst having a beer, hits my spots!

I am working on finding Marmite. It seems pretty expensive for something you put on toast, but I guess I should not knock it until I try it. If anybody has any suggestions where to get a case or 2, for a reasonable price, please let me know as one of our goals is to try to keep prices down as much as possible.

As for "irn bru, tattie scones & haggis" I could not even google that. But if you, and hopefully a couple more want it, I will try to find it

I am working on finding Marmite. It seems pretty expensive for something you put on toast, but I guess I should not knock it until I try it. If anybody has any suggestions where to get a case or 2, for a reasonable price, please let me know as one of our goals is to try to keep prices down as much as possible.

As for "irn bru, tattie scones & haggis" I could not even google that. But if you, and hopefully a couple more want it, I will try to find it

Dan, they all google just fine for me. BTW it's iron brew, a glasgow soda drink, but irn bru does Google Ok. You might get Haggis in Thailand, but not Iron Brew or Tattie Scones (potato scones). I'm after Digestive biscuits & Oat Cake biscuits.

Redted I'm sure you know but sometimes (when it just came in and is not sold out yet) TOPS in Central has big pots of marmite! Look at the jam or the gravy/sauce section. Otherwise ask. From the ten times I asked it was always sold out but then one day they had stacks!!!!

And for the shop. Pickles would be great, dill pickles and sweet and sour ones. Good brown bread!!!Not the rye stuff or the lightweight "brown"stuff. Toothpicks, very thin ones with mintflavour. I can get you the brand name if you want it!

Good luck with the shop. I'll drop in when in neighbourhood.

Oh I think it would be great to have a good secondhand section.

Marmite is available here:

http://food.thaivisa.com/Imported-Groceries/Marmite-125g

http://food.thaivisa.com/Imported-Groceries/Marmite-250g

Marmite is available here:

http://food.thaivisa.com/Imported-Groceries/Marmite-125g

http://food.thaivisa.com/Imported-Groceries/Marmite-250g

I did check here , but for a small order plus shipping, it would come in at almost 500 Bt a jar. I may be wrong, and please let me know, but that sounds like a lot for something you spread on toast. I will try Tops today.

Redted I'm sure you know but sometimes (when it just came in and is not sold out yet) TOPS in Central has big pots of marmite! Look at the jam or the gravy/sauce section. Otherwise ask. From the ten times I asked it was always sold out but then one day they had stacks!!!!

And for the shop. Pickles would be great, dill pickles and sweet and sour ones. Good brown bread!!!Not the rye stuff or the lightweight "brown"stuff. Toothpicks, very thin ones with mintflavour. I can get you the brand name if you want it!

We have pickles. Brown bread is on the way, and we also have non-flavoured toothpicks. Looking forward to meeting you when you are in the neighbourhood

Don's in Rawai also has marmite now (or it did last time I looked).

<H1 class=sIFR-replaced>Branston</H1>The UK's best-loved sweet pickle and a firm family favourite, Branston sells more than 28 million jars every year. Over one in three UK households buy it every year!

Named after the small village near Burton, Staffs, where Crosse & Blackwell first produced Branston in 1922, this classic British brand's still made using the same secret recipe and traditional methods today - blended to perfection for that essential Branston 'tang'.

The unique combination of tanginess, sweetness, crunchiness and spiciness brings food to life, and has even gained the brand a host of famous fans like Catherine Zeta-Jones and Naomi Campbell.

Alongside Branston Original, there's also a choice of tasty variations:

Branston Small Chunk: with smaller vegetable chunks, Branston Small Chunk is perfect for sandwiches.

Branston Smooth: all the tang without the chunks, Branston Smooth is ideal for everything from chips to pizza and burgers to hot dogs.

Branston Rich & Fruity: a great-tasting tangy fruity sauce to add a kick to bacon sandwiches and cooked breakfasts. post-59607-1209805238.jpgpost-59607-1209805267.jpgpost-59607-1209805316.jpgpost-59607-1209805350.jpgpost-59607-1209805389.jpg

I know marmite is available in the larger stores in Phuket but it would be great to give my custom to the underdogs who stock the same kind of foods as they do.

Keep up the good work.

Ted.

Just a thought, I went by your place Sunday and you were closed.

Find someone that can run it when you want time off. In Thailand this is just as important as the ingredients that you are open everday in this type of business.

LiveSteam

I forgot to mention we had a second hand sale on Sat.. I can not believe how many people came by and bought all our old junk. We will do it again this Saturday (weather permitting) So if you have anything you want to get rid of, bring it over

I forgot to mention we had a second hand sale on Sat.. I can not believe how many people came by and bought all our old junk. We will do it again this Saturday (weather permitting) So if you have anything you want to get rid of, bring it over

Great!!!!! Unfortunately I can not come this weekend , but if I where you I would make it a regular thing. I know many teachers who come here and would love a Fleemarketty kinda thing somewhere on the island.

Just a thought, I went by your place Sunday and you were closed.

Find someone that can run it when you want time off. In Thailand this is just as important as the ingredients that you are open everday in this type of business.

LiveSteam

Quite. So many small farang 'businessmen' here constantly complain about how difficult it is to succeed - and then after their initial enthusiasm, they neglect important details such as actually keeping their shop/bakery/restaurant business open during usual working hours - and all small and large Thai-run convenience stores do open Sundays. And guess what, that potential regular customer never bothers to put themselves out to go back.

Or are you just counting on the people in your soi to keep your afloat?

It was a tough decision to decide to close Sundays, but with the hours my wife is putting in, it did not leave one minute for home life or any time to look after her kid, Yes I know a new business involves sacrifices and a little hard work never killed anyone. We spent Sunday looking for new products for the store anyway. Although we are only just staying afloat, it would be pretty stupid if that was our ultimate plan. If we knew any competent, honest Thai's well enough, it would be great to leave it open, but we don't, yet.

Is this the place on the corner on the road that runs behind Wat Chalong, just in front of Phuket Country home, with a large carpenter's store/shop behind it?

Yes it is

By the way. Does anyone know where I can get Howie's pickles. I saw them in another store (I won't mention) and they look really good

Hi DanBlack,

Why don’t you stock Charlie Browns Danitas (in Bangkok has web site) corn chips, you can also get raw corn and flour tortillas from them. They have many other Thai made products you should carry too.

LiveSteam

Over the years, I've seen that place go from mini-mart to beauty shop, then back to mini-mart.

It's not really in a great location, except to serve the needs for people in Phuket Country Home if they can't be bothered to go down to the circle.

Stocking wanted items that cater to foreigners is a good idea, but, this has been done two, or, three times already, at locations closer to Hayaek circle. Each shop went bust because they were asking outrageous prices. Maybe, if you bought in bulk in Bangkok, then you could set prices that were realistic. If you are just buying stuff in Phuket and then marking prices up, then customers are just going to go where you bought them. After all, most people are going to have to use transport to get to you, so, there's no problem in going a little bit further to get a good price.

I get the idea that this is just a business to keep your missus busy and that you would be happy to break even?

If you have sundowner beers outside in the evening, I may drop by. I wish you good luck in your venture.

Edited by Sir Burr

But Sir Burr these guys are trying to make the difference between outragous farang prices and trying to build a business selling good farang and Thai food at a small mark up. it will take them time to get things right but if any small supermarket has the forsight to sell ladypies and then think how can we make them better [by selling gravy sachets] shows some forsight . Not really something Thai's are renowned for. Most places would settle for we sell lady pies.

Give this place a chance, it is only a small minimart but the owners are trying to make a difference and do something new for around here.

If you do want to have a drink there u2u me I woud like to drop a couple with you, you seem intelligent and entertaining so you would have a good chat [once you are off the ship of course]

Apologies if my post came over as a bit negative, but, there's no point fudging the truth here.

The shop is in a bad location with no walk-by trade, so, it's going to have to be word of mouth.

And what are people going to pass by word of mouth?

It has to be wanted farang food items at a decent price.

The only way I can see that happening, is to buy the goods up in Bangkok. Buying in another shop in Phuket and marking the price up again, just for the convenience factor, isn't going to work. At least three businesses have tried that in Chalong and failed.

I really do wish him the best of luck as I live close by, so, I will definitely be a customer there, if the prices are right. If not, I'll go to my usual places to get these items.

Apologies if my post came over as a bit negative, but, there's no point fudging the truth here.

The shop is in a bad location with no walk-by trade, so, it's going to have to be word of mouth.

And what are people going to pass by word of mouth?

It has to be wanted farang food items at a decent price.

The only way I can see that happening, is to buy the goods up in Bangkok. Buying in another shop in Phuket and marking the price up again, just for the convenience factor, isn't going to work. At least three businesses have tried that in Chalong and failed.

I really do wish him the best of luck as I live close by, so, I will definitely be a customer there, if the prices are right. If not, I'll go to my usual places to get these items.

I am not just trying to resurrect this thread, I thought I was subscribed, and did not see the last 5-6 comments until now.

Sir Burr, it is not just a hobby to break even, I could think of a lot of other things I would prefer doing other than making food items convenient for my neighbours. I agree there is not a lot of walk by traffic, but other than Bangla Rd. where is walk by traffic? I have spent many hours trying to track down the Farang food that people have asked for at reasonable prices, but it seems to be a very slow process, although I am making progress.

I really hope you drop by some time so I can put a face to your name. The 1st beer is on me