After 50 Years, It Happened!

I've been cycling for almost 50 years and today, it happened - my back wheel was clipped by a bus! Slight graze to right elbow and knee, bruising to left flank and KO'd for a few minutes! Yes, I have been to hospital and everything is alright.

The bike did not do as well as I! I am now sporting a new type of wheel - 10 spokes in one quadrant! Both dropouts bent, rear mech in pieces and drive side chainstay bent.

Other damage includes, smashed helmet (only 4 days old!) Old Fart jersey with a hole in on one pocket (First time on!) and ATC camera mount. Police and insurance reports completed and I'm claiming a new bike as the bike is only one month old. Have to visit the insurance company on Friday.

Don't worry about me, I'll be cycling in a few days!

Hi there hope it all goes well , i bet you got a bit of a shock . I know the feeling i ride a bike all the time but mostly in australia and i am just waiting for the day a get a little touch which sends me flying .

cheers.

Glad to hear you are OK Mr_H

Was it the Trek 3900 or the road bike?

How did it happen?

Neither, it was the Trek 7200 hybrid - bought on 4 April 2008 and had only 545.4kms on it! I was just past ChokChai4 on Lat Phrao Road, I remember overtaking a bus at a bus stop and then nothing! The bus driver said that he passed me and when he was pulling out and clipped my back wheel. He has admitted liability and has been fined by the Police.

727-1.jpg

UPDATE:- Mrs Hippo & I took the old bike to the insurance company this morning. I was expecting a 'debate' with them but I was pleasantly surprised! They paid full value for the bike and accessories so we went to ProBike for the replacement - a black & silver Trek 7200, slightly different from the 'old' one; it has different handlebars and 'twist grip' gears. My injuries have all healed and I am looking forward to taking it out tomorrow.