Air Asia: How Low Can You Go?

menostay

I'll tell you one thing your little price survey demonstates and it's this. Thai are selective on where they try to match Air Asia on price.

I thought I'd compare prices on an upcoming Bangkok-Jakarta return flight I booked recently. I paid 3,500 a couple of weeks ago with Air Asia and the current price for the same flights is 5,400 baht including extras. Now you would expect to pay more on Thai but just how much more? Super promotions don't seem to exist for Thai when talking Indonesia because the cheapest flights on the days I will be travelling total 16,325 baht and I checked 3 times because I thought I must have made a mistake. Looks like cheap fares to Chiang mai are subsidised by expensive fares to other destinations. Insurance that includes baggage coverage for 15,000 amongst other things is 210 baht for my Indonesian trip. The difference of 10,925 baht buys a lot of snacks, drinks and extra baggage allowance if required. The only thing going for Thai is they have earlier flights but Air Asia have now added an extra earlier flight which is an improvement but to save 10,000+ baht I'd still go on the flight that arrives in Jakarta close to midnight if I had to. Others agree with me because all my recent flights to Jakarta have been 90-95% full.

Express boarding according to the Air Asia website is 100 baht domestic, 200 baht international. Excess baggage is 80bt per kg. domestic, 160bt international +VAT.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thai Airways typically does not sell their cheapest international tickets online. You have to get those through a travel agent. They do sometimes have Super Deals though on their website but the selection is very limited. They have some right now as of today for 8,240 THB including all taxes from Bangkok to Jakarta and back. The same dates for Air Asia is 7,000 THB, so not a whole lot of difference there. If you added on the extras for Air Asia it would be more expensive. But on average you are correct that there will be a large difference for normal bookings. But normally the Thai Airways ticket is changeable and refundable. The Air Asia ticket is not. If you were able to get a ticket on Thai Airways through a travel agent with the same restriction I don't think you'd see that much of a price difference.

One more thing is if you fly Thai Airways or other Star Alliance airlines a lot and get a gold card you get 20 kgs additional allowance. Plus you get mileage towards a free ticket or upgrade which can be quite valuable for some. If you had a lot of luggage, let's say 45 kgs and a gold card you'd probably be fine on Thai but with Air Asia would end up paying 9,900 THB extra for the overweight charge which would eat up almost all your savings. Add on the value of your frequent flyer miles and the Thai ticket would be a better value. I know most people wouldn't be carrying that much luggage but it's just an example where for a few people even your example of a huge price difference could still mean Thai is a better value.

Edited by GeorgeW

One more way Air Asia tries to fleece it's customers for overweight luggage is by disallowing multiple passengers traveling together to pool their luggage allowance. When I went to see my friend off who was flying Air Asia there was a couple in front of him who had one large bag weighing almost 30 kg but Air Asia would only allow one of the passengers to check it in using their 15 kg limit. They didn't have any other luggage to transfer some of the contents into so they ended up having to pay a lot in overweight charges. The only other alternative for them would have been to buy another piece of luggage at the airport and do it that way. I've never seen any other airline pull this stunt. Thai Airlines definitely allows you to pool the luggage together for people traveling together.

• 2 weeks later...
Who really want to fly with these kind of airlines anyhow. They are hardly any cheaper than Thai Airways (f you take a promotion, which is subject to the same restrictions as on Air Asia or one two go, you hav inexperienced children on the plane doing a job which they cannot handle and eventually will get you killed in the case of an accident. The emergency exits are to be handled by passengers and are blocked by two seats? And that for a handful of dollars price difference... WOW! By the way why complaining about 125 baht or so in surcharge? it is nothing isn't it? The tip in the restaurant at the airport will be around the same.

Erm.. I dont fly air asia but your kidding right..

I can currently fly from phuket to BKK and Back for under 2k on Air asia.. Thai air is at best over 2k and often high 2's low 3's when you have all taxes and surcharges for one way.. Theres only a couple of flights per day at the 2100 plus price. So air asia is less than half price of Thai.

Must be stupid:

-the one who believes that Thai airways prices are the same as Air Asia

I just picked a day at random. July 1 Bangkok to Chiang Mai, return July 2.

Thai Airways Hot Deals, booked through their website: 4,380.00 THB total including taxes

Air Asia: 3,242.10 THB + 30x2 THB for 1 checked bag + 200 THB x 2 for express boarding + 430 THB x 2 overweight (15kg -> 20kg) = 4562.10 THB

Like you say, the person who said you can get a Thai Airways promotion ticket for the same price was stupid, because the Thai Airways ticket is actually cheaper. At least he's not a retard like you and the other retards who blindly think you're getting a good deal for Air Asia's crap service when actually you may be paying more than a full service airline. That Air Asia price was also a discounted ticket. If it was a full priced ticket it wouldn't even be close. The question I want to know is why there are there so many retards out there praising this piece of crap airline?

41217d1212114113-air-asia-bkk-hkt-bkk-great-deals-air_asia_sept.png

OK with the retard comments..

Show your true genuis and get me a Thai airways return flight to beat that please..

I recon they should take into account the weight of the passenger also. A petite 50kg Thai should be able to take more luggage with them than a hefty German tourist weighing in at 120kg.

A plane full of fat farang tourists might weigh a ton more than a boeing full of small Thais. It all ads up.

American airline they are looking in to it. the Op I believe is never been charged for excess weight by English low cost airline :o if he did,it would have been very happy to pay 86 Thb for 1.5 kg. :D

quote:I'll take my chances on a Thai airline, especially when the Thai roads are the alternative. unqte

Bus travel - never again! I prefer rail, late afternoon train, 2nd class lower berth - great picture widow view of the Thai scenery, ... wake up somewhat refreshed in Bkk or Cmai.

Must be stupid:

-the one who believes that Thai airways prices are the same as Air Asia

I just picked a day at random. July 1 Bangkok to Chiang Mai, return July 2.

Thai Airways Hot Deals, booked through their website: 4,380.00 THB total including taxes

Air Asia: 3,242.10 THB + 30x2 THB for 1 checked bag + 200 THB x 2 for express boarding + 430 THB x 2 overweight (15kg -> 20kg) = 4562.10 THB

Like you say, the person who said you can get a Thai Airways promotion ticket for the same price was stupid, because the Thai Airways ticket is actually cheaper. At least he's not a retard like you and the other retards who blindly think you're getting a good deal for Air Asia's crap service when actually you may be paying more than a full service airline. That Air Asia price was also a discounted ticket. If it was a full priced ticket it wouldn't even be close. The question I want to know is why there are there so many retards out there praising this piece of crap airline?

Cut and pasted from the Air Asia website a few minutes ago...

Same day, same destinations, the cheapest and the most expensive tickets are listed below... :o

Your TravelGoing Out

Bangkok (BKK) to Chiang Mai (CNX)

01 Jul 2008 FD 3238

Departs 1045 Arrives 1155

1621.05 BT

Going Out

FD 3238 - Depart BKK 10:45 AM 07/01/08

Arrive CNX 11:55 AM 07/01/08

Coming Back

Chiang Mai (CNX) to Bangkok (BKK)

02 Jul 2008 FD 3243

Departs 2050 Arrives 2155

925.55 BT

Coming Back

FD 3243 - Depart CNX 8:50 PM 07/02/08

Arrive BKK 9:55 PM 07/02/08

Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB 1 Guest @ 750.00 750.00 THB

Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 106.05 THB Fuel Surcharge 550.00 THB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming Back Total 925.55 THB Coming Back Total 925.55 THB 1 Guest @ 100.00 100.00 THB

Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 60.55 THB Fuel Surcharge 550.00 THB

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Package Price

2,546.60 THB

Your TravelGoing Out

01 Jul 2008 FD 3234

Departs 1250 Arrives 1400

1621.05 BT

Going Out

FD 3234 - Depart BKK 12:50 PM 07/01/08

Arrive CNX 2:00 PM 07/01/08

Coming Back

02 Jul 2008 FD 3241

Departs 1705 Arrives 1815

1621.05 BT

Coming Back

FD 3241 - Depart CNX 5:05 PM 07/02/08

Arrive BKK 6:15 PM 07/02/08

Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB Going Out Total 1,621.05 THB 1 Guest @ 750.00 750.00 THB

Airport Tax 100.00 THB Insurance Surcharge 50.00 THB Administration Fee 65.00 THB Value Added Tax 106.05 THB Fuel Surcharge 550.00 THB

Coming Back Total 1,621.05 THB Coming Back Total 1,621.05 THB 1 Guest @ 750.00 750.00 THB

Total Package Price

3,242.10 THB

So to make your figures stack up you had to resort to adding 400 baht for express boarding and 860 baht for extra baggage so you could bump up the fare higher than Thai Airways, conveniently ignoring the fact that not everyone has excess baggage and few pay for express boarding as well as ignoring other cheaper flights available on the same day.

Looks like a lot of people aren't reading this thread so maybe it needs repeating. This thread is about having to pay for overweight luggage. Many people do need the extra allowance given by Thai Airways and will have to pay this charge. Some will have to pay even more when Thai Airways would probably let it slide if it's over by 5kg or so. Sure you can find some Air Asia fares lower than some Thai Airways fares, but that's not the point. Express boarding is added because if you want to compare Thai Airways which allows the civilized pre-assigned seats then the express boarding is the closest you can come to that. Without the express boarding you're comparing even more different products.

For one more example, try checking the prices for a one-way tomorrow, Bangkok to Chiang Mai. Air Asia's cheapest without any express board, any checked luggage, or overweight charges is 1942.05 THB total. Thai Airways is 2,190.00 THB total. A difference of only 247.95 THB. That's very little difference and the Air Asia flight won't give you any free drink or snack.

I agree that for some people who can book the absolute cheapest fares on Air Asia and have no checked in luggage and don't eat or drink on the plane and don't care about their boarding process, etc. they sometimes can save a lot. Other times they will save almost nothing and sometimes they will likely pay more. Add on the extras though and the savings are little at best. Clearly though the blanket statement that Air Asia is always cheaper than Thai Airways is absolutely false.

"One more way Air Asia tries to fleece it's customers for overweight luggage is by disallowing multiple passengers traveling together to pool their luggage allowance."

That's clearly stated in their terms and conditions (along with the 15kg weight limit) so I hardly see that as "fleecing it's customers".

AirAsia is fine for what it is (and markets itself as) a 'no frills' budget carrier. If you need to carry 45kg of baggage and want in-flight services it's really not for you. If you're happy to do without, as many are especially on short internal flights, it's a great and cost effective choice.

OK so I'm retarded and/or blind but to me AirAsia makes perfect sense

One more way Air Asia tries to fleece it's customers for overweight luggage is by disallowing multiple passengers traveling together to pool their luggage allowance. When I went to see my friend off who was flying Air Asia there was a couple in front of him who had one large bag weighing almost 30 kg but Air Asia would only allow one of the passengers to check it in using their 15 kg limit. They didn't have any other luggage to transfer some of the contents into so they ended up having to pay a lot in overweight charges. The only other alternative for them would have been to buy another piece of luggage at the airport and do it that way. I've never seen any other airline pull this stunt. Thai Airlines definitely allows you to pool the luggage together for people traveling together.

I am not a great fan of AirAsia after some bad experiences in the past.However they did allow us to pool our baggage allowance .I recently flew with my partner and baby to Bangkok and on to Vietnam,we had one bag for the three of us and experienced no problems at any of our checkins. I have looked at the airasia terms and conditions and it does indeed say you cannot pool baggage even if you are on the same booking. Is this a very recent change or did we just get lucky?

jitenshaman,

I won't bother to requote that post. My point is that sometimes Air Asia is cheaper than Thai Air. Sometimes Thai Air is cheaper than Air Asia. Sometimes they are the same price. For people who travel light and book well in advance they will likely be able to save money on average by flying Air Asia, but it is not a definite that they will always. You highlighted quotes that show a cheaper Air Asia price but I pointed out other flights where the cost is almost the same or more expensive on Air Asia. I don't see your point. Nobody is saying that all Air Asia flights are the same price as Thai Air. We are only saying that some are. It is up to each individual to check based on their travel needs to see what is the price for each and make a decision which is the better value.

Many people blindly think that Air Asia is always cheaper than Thai Air and call people stupid who think it is possible that for some they are about the same price. My 'retard' comment is directed to that individual who didn't even bother to check what is the real situation.

I am not a great fan of AirAsia after some bad experiences in the past.However they did allow us to pool our baggage allowance .I recently flew with my partner and baby to Bangkok and on to Vietnam,we had one bag for the three of us and experienced no problems at any of our checkins. I have looked at the airasia terms and conditions and it does indeed say you cannot pool baggage even if you are on the same booking. Is this a very recent change or did we just get lucky?

I have no idea how common it is for them to disallow pooling of luggage. I don't fly them but was flying on Singapore Airlines the same day as my friend was flying Air Asia so went together to the Air Asia check-in counter. That was in March of this year. I would imagine though that as all airlines are being squeezed due to the high fuel prices that they will be looking more and more to get money from you any way they can. So don't bet on your luck holding out in the future.

One more comment about the debate on pricing of Air Asia vs. Thai Air, or any LCC vs. full-service carrier. As fuel prices rise, the fuel cost as a percent of total operating costs rises. Already it is about 40% of the operating cost for many airlines. The LCC's reduce their prices because they reduce their non-fuel operating costs. There is very little any airline can do to reduce their fuel costs other than flying fuel-efficient aircraft. So as fuel prices rise the LCC's price advantage dimishes. The whole LCC business model is being severly challenged these days on both the fuel cost angle as well as by many full-service carriers adopting some of the LCC strategies to save on non-fuel related operating costs.