Do Expats Look Down On Tourists?

rixalex

Alot of people that one might assume are expats are technically not. Anyone that doesn't have the residency visa and is still making those annoying visa runs is technically not an expat. Hang your speedo thong on that.

I sure as <deleted> wouldn't hang with singlet wearing yob slobs back home, so why would I want to hang around them here? I didn't frequent skuzzy bordellos/bars with knuckle dragging creepazoids back home, so why would I do it here? I didn't sleep with hookers back home and I sure as hel_l am not about to do it now. I'm not alone. Many foreign tourists and expats are just like me. Maybe you don't see them because you are not where they are, but they exist in large numbers. Because we maintain our dignity and values doesn't mean we look down on anyone. Perhaps it is the tard crowd that looks up to us. :o

Edited by geriatrickid

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of people that one might assume are expats are technically not. Anyone that doesn't have the residency visa and is still making those annoying visa runs is technically not an expat. Hang your speedo thong on that.

I sure as <deleted> wouldn't hang with singlet wearing yob slobs back home, so why would I want to hang around them here? I didn't frequent skuzzy bordellos/bars with knuckle dragging creepazoids back home, so why would I do it here? I didn't sleep with hookers back home and I sure as hel_l am not about to do it now. I'm not alone. Many foreign tourists and expats are just like me. Maybe you don't see them because you are not where they are, but they exist in large numbers. Because we maintain our dignity and values doesn't mean we look down on anyone. Perhaps it is the tard crowd that looks up to us. :o

I disagree that anybody who doesn't have residency is not an ex-pat. Many of us have work permits with non-immigrant visas - this is enough for ex-pat status anywhere in the world. Before coming to Thailand I lived in Saudi and I didn't have residency there either, but nobody would doubt that I was an ex-pat. I think the fact that I live, work, raise a family, and pay tax here should meet the requirements for being an ex-pat.

Edited by garro

Expatriate (n.) "One who has taken up residence in a foreign country" (The Free Dictionary)

"Somebody who has moved abroad: a citizen who has left his or her own country to live in another, usually for a prolonged period" (Encarta)

There are other definitions of "expatriate" (e.g. one who has lost or renounced citizenship), but the above, I think, are what we are talking about. So a person who "has taken up residence" in Thailand "for a prolonged period" (2 years? 5 years? more?) would be an expatriate. To restrict the term to those who have residence visas seems a bit strict to me.

I would think one is an expat if one has been here for longer than one year and intends to stay on, working or not, and regardless of visa arrangements.

I lived in Pattaya for a year and have lived in Bangkok for over five years. Most of us were tourists once and without tourists life would be a bore. Check out the forums on TV about the lives and loves of the tourists and expats. Just try to learn from other peoples mistakes.

I am enthralled by what my friends call the “one week wonders”. Those are the holiday makers from Western Europe who come for a two week holiday with only enough money for one week. They never fail to make an impression. As primarily sex tourists they marvel at their ability to snag beautiful girls at will. No need to remain civil so binge drinking is the norm. No shirts, no shoes and seemingly no inhibitions rule the day. To impress their fellow “one week wonders” they will go to any length to be the life of the party. The best part is the second week. They have no money, they are marked up from fights with their friends or multiple Thai bouncers or just from falling down as they so often do. Realization starts to set in when those beautiful women that fell for them last week run away at the sight of them. Where clothing was optional before now they have lost their clothes. Fortunately they can try to blend in with the new arrivals that one can recognize by clean shorts, no shirts and no bruises.

If I had Bt1,000 for every time I heard, “The money will be here tomorrow”, I would be rich but I could never leave Thailand. It is too interesting a place. A special section of TV should be written for Indians, and assorted Muslims and others who stray from their belief systems while being tempted in the Kingdom. They really make it interesting. You can get a Masters Degree in bartering from observing these people who refuse to pay the going rate for anything. Several times I’ve been behind them in the checkout line at Foodland while they barter the grocery total with the cashier.

Don't hate these people! Utilize them as a form of entertainment.

:D:o

As I read this thread I realize I rarely ever see or interact with 'tourists' even though I am living in the mid-Sukhumvit area. Maybe I'm just not inclined to try to make the distinction when I see a foreigner. Besides, I'm sure I'd rather be in the company of a well mannered 'tourist' than some of the dregs of western society who live (survive) here on a permanent basis. As for the comment about speaking Thai unnecessarily ... if someone is serious about learning Thai then they probably know the only way to improve is for regular practice in real-life situations. What irks me more is when I meet long-term expats (some 20 years+) who take pride in never learning to speak Thai.

Edited by Ithailian

Expatriate (n.) "One who has taken up residence in a foreign country" (The Free Dictionary)

"Somebody who has moved abroad: a citizen who has left his or her own country to live in another, usually for a prolonged period" (Encarta)

There are other definitions of "expatriate" (e.g. one who has lost or renounced citizenship), but the above, I think, are what we are talking about. So a person who "has taken up residence" in Thailand "for a prolonged period" (2 years? 5 years? more?) would be an expatriate. To restrict the term to those who have residence visas seems a bit strict to me.

I would think one is an expat if one has been here for longer than one year and intends to stay on, working or not, and regardless of visa arrangements.

Thanks for the information. I've always been confused by the meaning of this word, especially in TV. For me it's always been related to the terms of the employment contract : expat or local.

If you don't work, you're a tourist.

I wish I could be a tourist :o ...

I have to admit I do not think I have ever herd a short term tourist say, "The money will be here tomoorow (next week)" but I have heard it many many times from expats and those staying for longer ie 3 months plus - they are the ones tend to be down on their arse - short term tourists are pissing off back home quite soon and can usually survive.

I find its nearly all expats (or the onger term stayers) who are the leeches when out drinking - if it was me and I could not keep uo with the spend of the group I was in I would go my own way and drink my own booze, food and not tuck in and try to look anonymous.

I am a tourist most times when I visit now, other times I am up on business as I cover Thailand, I have lived there while working, been a backpacker, a 2 week tourist as well as the longer term tourist ie 3+ months - I guess I nearly have the t-shirt. I thought I would even retire there some day but my current thinking is no but thhat might change.

Good and bad in all groups just like anything else.

Put on a Helmet; you have to wear one at home and there's more a chance of head trauma here.

And of course all expats wear helmets. :o

Put on a shirt; you don't shop at your Tesco top-less at home do you?

I can't honestly say I have seen many shirtless tourists shopping at Tescos on their holiday. Is it a common occurrence?

Not shirtless up here, but plenty look very weathered.

I have to admit I do not think I have ever herd a short term tourist say, "The money will be here tomoorow (next week)" but I have heard it many many times from expats and those staying for longer ie 3 months plus - they are the ones tend to be down on their arse - short term tourists are pissing off back home quite soon and can usually survive.

I find its nearly all expats (or the onger term stayers) who are the leeches when out drinking - if it was me and I could not keep uo with the spend of the group I was in I would go my own way and drink my own booze, food and not tuck in and try to look anonymous.

I am a tourist most times when I visit now, other times I am up on business as I cover Thailand, I have lived there while working, been a backpacker, a 2 week tourist as well as the longer term tourist ie 3+ months - I guess I nearly have the t-shirt. I thought I would even retire there some day but my current thinking is no but thhat might change.

I think we should agree on the terms used.

Expat = employment contract = salary (usually comfortable) = no trouble

"xxx" (to be defined) = no fix income = small time crook = trouble

tourist = tourist = fun

When I hear, "The money will be her tomorrow", it is usually from a man who has overspent on his vacation and is trying to convince a girl that his foreign bank or Western Union has messed up somehow and his cash was delayed. This is usually used in conjunction with, "My ATM card is lost or malfunctioning".

I get what you mean about expats and their money or lack of it. I think the number one rule for anyone living offshore has to do with holding on to your assets. I don't get asked for money much anymore but when I was a fresh face here I was deflecting one or two business proposals a week plus the normal requests for small short term loans. I know people who loan money and never get paid back. I'm talking millions of Baht here not just the Bt1,000 to Bt2,000 we hear about everyday. The borrower is normally from the same country as the loaner. That nationalistic bond must be very strong and judging from the non performing loans very damaging as well. I'm simply amazed at how much and for what people will loan money for.

One of my friends I really admire is wealthy by anyone's standards and never has been asked for a loan. It must be a look or a projected image that I would like to emulate.

Edited by grantbkk

The backpackers hate the package tourists, the package tourists hate the sex pats, the long term expats hate the short term expats, the non teachers hate the teachers, the teachers hate the backpackers etc.

Ok, quite a generalisation, and of course not everyone is like that, but overall I think we can safely say a lot of farang hate other farang here for the stupidest reasons.

Even on this forum you can be ridiculed for meeting your wife in a bar, or living in too small an apartment, teaching English, your choice of holiday destination (think Phangan/Pattaya), choosing to eat farang food daily instead of Thai food etc.

The farang that are generally most negative towards other farang usually do so out of some need to compete against them and/or to try to win brownie points from the Thais.

I absolutely agree with your last statement here. Spot on.

It's really a laugh. No matter what you guys do to ingratiate yourself with the Thais you will still always be an ALIEN in every sence of the word. So get off your high horses and stop talking horse s**t. With the possible exception of your wife, but having said that, as can be seen from time to time, even a married relationship won't save you.

i look down on everybody who is shorter than me.

I go down on everybody who is shorter than me.

Well, not everybody, just women.

And not all of them. Just women who are shorter than me.

And younger than me... :o

Gee... as Rodney King once infamously said... "Can't we all just get along????"

Here's what I know... I LIVE here... every day...and I'm darned happy to be here... So, I'm not too concerned what everyone else is doing...or thinking...

Like everyone else, I started as a tourist, and now I'm (something) whatever you call it.

This is Thailand after all, so let's get with the "mai pen rai" feeling...

For the ex pats who've stayed longer than me.. I envy them..and their experience...

For the tourists...I fondly recall coming here in the early days and not having a clue, and beginning to learn...

For those who can speak Thai better than me (almost everyone), just give me some time...

And for those who can eat spicier food than me... THERE IS NO ONE!!!!!

hahahahahahaha

"When I hear, "The money will be her tomorrow", it is usually from a man who has overspent on his vacation and is trying to convince a girl that his foreign bank or Western Union has messed up somehow and his cash was delayed. This is usually used in conjunction with, "My ATM card is lost or malfunctioning"."

I have heard from people overspent on their vacation too but its usually more than the two weeker you originally referred to thats all.

A good pal of mine (RIP) who had a lot of money ie ferrari, helicopter in the UK, and was obviously quite wealthy never ever got touched up for money either like your pal - I think they do project an image the skankers do not even bother trying with

... The only tourists that really irritate me (and I believe some of these might be expats too...so it might not just be the tourists...) are the ones I see picking up bar girls and like others have said, truly believing these bar girls think they are gods gift to women...

:D

So you're a mind reader too? :o

I think what you meant to say was: "The only tourists that really irritate me are the ones I see picking up bar girls".

And not fawning after you?

If we are going to define some terms here, we should be sure to make a difference from the long term expat that has only lived in Thailand, takes great pride in speaking Thai, and goes to great lengths to make sure everyone on TV knows how integrated into Thailand they are (including starting threads like this) and the ones that have worked overseas long term in many countries. The former are really wanna be immigrants, not expats.

TH

If we are going to define some terms here, we should be sure to make a difference from the long term expat that has only lived in Thailand, takes great pride in speaking Thai, and goes to great lengths to make sure everyone on TV knows how integrated into Thailand they are (including starting threads like this) and the ones that have worked overseas long term in many countries. The former are really wanna be immigrants, not expats.

TH

And so the pissing contest continues...

My initial thought when reading the OP first post was that he was jealous.Jealous of farang speaking better thai than him and also jealous that farang stay Thailand longer than him when he has to return home.And whats this "genuine article" crap,i think your getting yourself worked up over nothing.

My initial thought when reading the OP first post was that he was jealous.Jealous of farang speaking better thai than him and also jealous that farang stay Thailand longer than him when he has to return home.And whats this "genuine article" crap,i think your getting yourself worked up over nothing.

Did you manage any other thoughts after the initial one?

I do appreciate you may be worn out by now and we may have to wait until tomorrow for it.

Edited by burman

So ... What makes a person an 'Expat' ?

Naka.

I'm a Brit, have lived in East Germany since the wall came down, pay the same taxes and prices as the natives, enjoy equal treatment

in the eyes of the law and have long since severed connections with the UK.

Am I an expat?

I'm a Brit, have lived in East Germany since the wall came down, pay the same taxes and prices as the natives, enjoy equal treatment in the eyes of the law and have long since severed connections with the UK.

Am I an expat?

if you don't have german citizenship the answer is a clear "yes".

Enjoy your time in Thailand and spend less time worrying about what everyone else is doing.

Yes, i too am keen to hear what your thoughts were after the initial one.

Speaking of which, i'm neither jealous, nor worked up, and certainly not worried about what people like you are doing. I was simply stating an observation - why do you assume that to do so one has to be all the things you accuse me of?

I think there is a lot of truth in what the op is saying. I believe there is a divide between the pretentious ex-pats who are trying to show off, and the rest of us that just want to distance ourself from the 'embarrassing' tourists.

Many times I have found myself in a shop / restaurant or whatever, and been totally shocked by the way some lagered up, loudmouthed, chang tank top wearer is making a fool of himself. I will usually smile to the abused member of staff, speak in a politer than normal way, and also in Thai.

I think it is just my little way of showing the Thai person - 'hey, we are not all like this !'

Does anybody agree ?

:D Oh yes....good post.

I have seen all nationalities from Brits to Germans and (often) Americans acting like bloody fools. Not only in Thailand, but in other countries.(and I happen to have been born in the U.S.A.) I've also seen many people, even tourists, trying to act decently and respectfully toward Thais.

I once heard two obviously British "teachers" on the skytrain making jokes about the "bloody tourists" and what fools they were. They were talking about two female backpackers also riding the train. Both these guys were wearing T-shirts that the Thais would have been offended by.(such as...Thailand Home of the LBFM) and a picture of some bargirl. One of these teachers then turned away from his companion and without making attempt to cover his nose/mouth sneezed on a Thai girl, obviously on her way to work in some office by her dress. He never bothered to apologise for sneezing on her hair. The look that girl gave the guy showed that she thought he was no higher than a mud-crawlimg worm to her. He never noticed.

Just goes to show there are a--holes in all nationalities, but there are also decent courteous people in all nationalities.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG