Newborn Baby Rescued From Garbage Bin

george

Newborn baby rescued from garbage bin

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- A newborn baby was fund stuffed inside a tied-up garbage bag left in a garbage bin Saturday morning and was rescued in time.

Police said a scavenger looking for recyclable spotted the garbage bag inside a garbage bin at the mouth of Soi Kingkaew 58/1 in Bangpli district.

She was frightened and alerted people nearby to check the bag when it moved.

The baby was found alive although being bitten by ants.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital.

Police said the baby appeared healthy.

-- The Nation 2008-05-10

Newborn baby rescued from garbage bin

SAMUT PRAKAN: -- A newborn baby was fund stuffed inside a tied-up garbage bag left in a garbage bin Saturday morning and was rescued in time.

Police said a scavenger looking for recyclable spotted the garbage bag inside a garbage bin at the mouth of Soi Kingkaew 58/1 in Bangpli district.

She was frightened and alerted people nearby to check the bag when it moved.

The baby was found alive although being bitten by ants.

He was rushed to a nearby hospital.

Police said the baby appeared healthy.

-- The Nation 2008-05-10

This is absolutely horrendous. How anyone could have done this beggars belief. I hope the little one is okay and recovers from his horrible ordeal.

It's easy for a guy like me to shake my finger and say what a bad mother, but I'm not the overwhelmed mother. When you are a child having a baby, or are a junkie, or are destitute and distraught, you do not think straight and you do stupid things.

Typically, the girls, and they are girls, do this, it's an act of panic.

I know it's not an excuse, but have a look and see at the characteristics of the people that abandon newborns. A mother that does this is either in a very bad way or mentally ill, so don't judge too harshly. And yes, I know it's an awful act.

This reminds me of Baby ASEAN, who was left in a trash can near Sukhumvit during the ASEAN conference. That little one didn't make it. Hard to imagine the mindset that would make someone do this kind of thing.

Also, I wonder how often they're not found.

Perhaps the Thais could create and publicize a "baby drop off" program to reduce this problem. Maybe some good could come of this.

I have no sympathy for a mother who could do this. Abandoning a baby is one thing, but actually stuffing it in the garbage is something else. I hope this child eventually makes it into a good home.

as usual theres not a lot to go on but my instant thoughts go out to that mother. my god shes got to live with this and it will come back to haunt her most days of her life. only hope mother and baby get a better break in life.

It's easy for a guy like me to shake my finger and say what a bad mother, but I'm not the overwhelmed mother. When you are a child having a baby, or are a junkie, or are destitute and distraught, you do not think straight and you do stupid things.

Typically, the girls, and they are girls, do this, it's an act of panic.

I know it's not an excuse, but have a look and see at the characteristics of the people that abandon newborns. A mother that does this is either in a very bad way or mentally ill, so don't judge too harshly. And yes, I know it's an awful act.

very well put....

You can blame the mother, but also do not forget the situation she is in, or how she got into this situtuation

I have known a few girls in Thailand who have had a baby by a ferang, only for the ferang to turn there back on the mother and want nothing to do with the child or support it!, remember we are not the UK here, if you have a child you do not get child support from the goverment...

There is no need to blame farangs.

There are plenty of local fathers who do not acknowledge their own offspring. :o

BTW In many cases Thailand still has the extended family which is better than state support.

Might not have been the mother who threw the baby in the bin. The mother's family might have been in debt, and someone else could have taken the baby to the bin for punishment or a degree of financial relief while the mother was sleeping.

Thailand still has legal issues regarding abortion, and there's a stigma about dropping the kid off at an orphanage as brings down the face of the whole family, and this girl might have been hiding away during her nine months pregnancy to avoid other social stigmas. Kids from orphanages are often looked down upon and distrusted, usually ending up doing lowest skilled jobs for the least amount of salary, while the more lucky ones make it in the bars when they're old enough.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi

I am dying to adopt a baby,(less than a month old only!, male or female). Anybody know how please let me know.

i have always wondered about this when i hear these reports of abandoned babies being found... can you keep them?

There is no need to blame farangs.

There are plenty of local fathers who do not acknowledge their own offspring. :o

BTW In many cases Thailand still has the extended family which is better than state support.

Fully agree. And this sort of thing happens in every country - psychologists have writeen many books on it (infanticide). Also agree that Thailand's extended family (run by the women - since so many of the Thai fathers disappear) is what keeps things strong - much stronger than in the West that's for sure. As for the Farangs running away from their duties - as I said the farang fathers are saviors compared to so many of the Thai fathers who only want sanuk (gambling, mia noi, rice whiskey, etc). How many farang guys are supporting not only their thai-farang kids - but also their wife's Thai son/daughter that Sombat abandoned?? This thread would end up with a thousand entries in a few days.

As for the Farangs running away from their duties - as I said the farang fathers are saviors compared to so many of the Thai fathers who only want sanuk (gambling, mia noi, rice whiskey, etc). How many farang guys are supporting not only their thai-farang kids - but also their wife's Thai son/daughter that Sombat abandoned??

Not mention all the farangs supporting their wive's husbands and their other wives as well.

:o

I often read about how horrible Thai men are -- fathers in particular. I have contact with a number of engineers--and these are neither well to do nor poor and I live in a Moo Bahn. Most of these guys are completely devoted to their kids. They take an active interest in their kids, help with homework, play football with them and one even gets up at 5:30 every morning with his infant son and takes him for a walk before he gets ready for work.

And this isn't just talk, because I see them with their kids and it's a very warm, tender and caring relationship.

The same in my Moo Bahn. Lots of Dad's out their playing ball with the kids and doing things.

This particular case and the infant involved is an anomoly in this and every other society. Neither mom's or dad's here are bad people--they love their kids and the fact that sh*t happens in families is always sad and in the end kids will suffer.

There are definitely plenty of bad fathers here. And it's understandable that many foreigners have this opinion because they often marry or are at least involved with gals who were abandoned -or in some unfortuante cases: still involved- by these bad fathers (I dare say that in some of these cases, the gal involved was part of the problem in the dissolution of said relationship though).

That said, as you mentioned, IMO there are plenty of good and great fathers and parents in general here as well.

:o

Edited by Heng