That Third World Feeling When Arriving In Bkk

realmadrid25

well i hate traveling to Western countries for various reasons but i love traveling to singapore, hong kong, korea and japan. when i arrive back in bangkok from these countries, i get depressed and wish i could afford (ie, made 250K USD + a year) to live comfortably in one of these places. Thailand is sabai and everything, but when you are in the taxi and you start driving to the city you get the following feelings: its insanely hot all year long, its insanely dirty, its insanely ugly, well there are alot of hot girls around, why are there so many vagrants, why are there so many disgusting dogs lying about, why are there so many people pushing around those makeshift cars collecting garbage, why are there 18,990,000 motorcycles around, why do all the people look so poor????

after a couple of days you forget about all of that and settle back into your cozy condo and then i guess you remember that there are so many hot girls around and the food is good and cheap so you dont give a dam_n, but boy it'd be nice to be able to live the life style i live here in Seoul or Hong Kong or Tokyo.

Plus, Id love to be able to dress nice without being covered in sweat by the time i make it up the BTS stairs.

Edited by realmadrid25

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try moving to the suburbs of Bangkok you might feel a little bit fresher. And there are so many things Same as Korea around here Ladprao rachida and bangkapi. Its reminds me of my house in Seoul and dae jong.. You will not have the complains as you feel in the centre

Don’t use an aircon and sweet it out. I never use one and now I feel cold just opening the window.

And I wear long sleeves jeans with boots sometimes a nice suit and I feel just fine.

I did think like you not so long ago. Thinking of trying to relocate back Seoul or even trying something new like Singapore, but then I reminded my self when I worked in Japan for 6 months and lived Seoul more then 7 years. Nice plaice to visit and enjoy with friends but a crappy plaice to stay more then a few months as its gets more Hot then here and winters are brutal.

Then I think if my business picks up I would just stay here so I have money to pass on and tell my mom and dad to stop working and travel the world.

I’m only just 26 but I finally think like that.

Jobs in Korea pay well if you are qualified with normally a free house involved. For a year.

Not just teaching English. I worked for a media company for 2 years. But I have Korean papers

But normally they supply a visa as well.

by life style i mean... eating whatever i want, doing whatever i want, having a very nice apartment in the best location, etc... we are talking a 1,000,000 baht/m2 for a similar nicely located condo in hong kong, tokyo or singapore as opposed to 150,000/m2 here...

Try moving to the suburbs of Bangkok you might feel a little bit fresher. And there are so many things Same as Korea around here Ladprao rachida and bangkapi. Its reminds me of my house in Seoul and dae jong.. You will not have the complains as you feel in the centre

Don't use an aircon and sweet it out. I never use one and now I feel cold just opening the window.

And I wear long sleeves jeans with boots sometimes a nice suit and I feel just fine.

I did think like you not so long ago. Thinking of trying to relocate back Seoul or even trying something new like Singapore, but then I reminded my self when I worked in Japan for 6 months and lived Seoul more then 7 years. Nice plaice to visit and enjoy with friends but a crappy plaice to stay more then a few months as its gets more Hot then here and winters are brutal.

Then I think if my business picks up I would just stay here so I have money to pass on and tell my mom and dad to stop working and travel the world.

I'm only just 26 but I finally think like that.

Jobs in Korea pay well if you are qualified with normally a free house involved. For a year.

Not just teaching English. I worked for a media company for 2 years. But I have Korean papers

But normally they supply a visa as well.

i have been to these suburbs and the traffic was soo heavy. i go to the mall bangkapi every now and then and the traffic is always ridiculous. i do like that area though because there are more people walking around and less farang and tons of pretty girls.

by life style i mean... eating whatever i want, doing whatever i want, having a very nice apartment in the best location, etc... we are talking a 1,000,000 baht/m2 for a similar nicely located condo in hong kong, tokyo or singapore as opposed to 150,000/m2 here...

Yeah, either you can be poor in a wealthy, large middle class, clean, up tight society, or you can be rich, in a sabai sabai country, with a smaller middle class, and a over all not so up tight country. It is as simple as that. Up to you...

Realmadrid, I took the time to have a quick look through your posts, you claim previously to be worth around $5mil US and earn $125k US a year and be from a very wealthy family you could choose to live anywhere you like with that sort of cash, tell me are you really the guy from Soi 5 Sukhumvit begging for change.

yep... any suggestions? i have been stuck in that 150-175k usd/year range forever now.

did i mention that my grandmother climbed the Nanga Parbat in 1936 without oxygen mask? :o

This guy fits in to the delusional category, at least if you are going to lie over a period of 6 months make the story simple so you can keep to it Madrid, all these figures must be hard to remember was it $125k I earn or was it the $150-$175k I said above.

well i hate traveling to Western countries for various reasons but i love traveling to singapore, hong kong, korea and japan. when i arrive back in bangkok from these countries, i get depressed and wish i could afford (ie, made 250K USD + a year) to live comfortably in one of these places. Thailand is sabai and everything, but when you are in the taxi and you start driving to the city you get the following feelings: its insanely hot all year long, its insanely dirty, its insanely ugly, well there are alot of hot girls around, why are there so many vagrants, why are there so many disgusting dogs lying about, why are there so many people pushing around those makeshift cars collecting garbage, why are there 18,990,000 motorcycles around, why do all the people look so poor????

after a couple of days you forget about all of that and settle back into your cozy condo and then i guess you remember that there are so many hot girls around and the food is good and cheap so you dont give a dam_n, but boy it'd be nice to be able to live the life style i live here in Seoul or Hong Kong or Tokyo.

Plus, Id love to be able to dress nice without being covered in sweat by the time i make it up the BTS stairs.

not sure why you need to take the bts being the high roller you are

Having lived in Hong Kong and Singapore for twelve years and enjoyed bot very much, I'd say that every place has its relative advantages and disadvantages. They are both expensive places so you earn well, but boy do you consume yourself in work! In contrast Thailand is so laid back in more ways than one.

I find the squalor and poverty of Bangkok particularly distressing because it is so closely juxtaposed with the excessive wealth and glitter represented by the glossy malls and soaring condominium blocks that are everywhere.

The Third World elements that most trouble me are more abstract though... the corruption, the nepotism and the failure of the rule of law which means that the few do very well by trampling the many under foot. Those in control keep this as a cheap wage economy and make sure they continue to do very nicely out of it and nothing's going to change.

I live in Surin in the North East amidst genuine rural poverty but it is not half as bad as urban poverty. Yes, flying in to glitzy Suvanabumhi and then seeing the reality outside is depressing but strangely getting back to the village is quite comforting. It's a real community with fine traditional values.

I can't think what it is you like about Bangkok. Why not give up your comfy condo and come and live out here. I'm sure you'd love it!

Andrew

Rent a car.

Sheesh, earning 150-175k (US) per year, you should have a chauffeured limo with personal "attendants" to mop your brow and rub your weary feet, instead of having to take public transit !

Isn't it terrible having to see poor people on the streets, and worse, having to rub elbows with them on public transit ? Couldn't the city officials just round up all the "less-well-to-do" types and ship them off to a camp somewhere, so that well off foreigners won't be inconvenienced at the sight of them ?

I don't think I could stand the horror of living in a city with a population of 15 million+, seeing all those motorcycles (which would be large, gas-guzzling, even worse pollution emitting, cars and trucks in other cities), riding public transit with "common folk" (who, in other cities would probably be more than happy to rob you, knife you or both), seeing poor folk rooting through the trash for recyclables (nah, poor folks in other countries just get cash handed to them in the form of welfare or other charity. Isn't it terrible to see people trying to earn a living, even if it requires pulling items of value out of trash bins that would otherwise end up in a landfill ?).

Yep, the horror of it all. Such a shame you have to witness all that. I feel sorry for you. Not as sorry as I feel for that fly I just swatted off the corner of my dusty desk here in Afghanistan though. :o

well i hate traveling to Western countries for various reasons but i love traveling to singapore, hong kong, korea and japan. when i arrive back in bangkok from these countries, i get depressed and wish i could afford (ie, made 250K USD + a year) to live comfortably in one of these places.

Odd that you should pick a figure of $250K in that this would be an earning ratio of aproximately 5 times the earnings of your average Joe back there in the West. And this figure of '5 times' is aproximately the disparity of earnings between Average Joe West v Average Somchai Thai.

So if you were earning $250K back home, you'd enjoy similar privalages and a similar dispartity of life style above the local populace as I presume you enjoy in Thailand - Though the options for the wealthy back west are wider and more varied.

On this basis, I suspect that if you were indeed earning $250K you might not hate travelling to Western Countries so much.

But on this thread you like the outskirts -

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=171267&hl=

I think you're a teacher earning 150-175 BHT an hour, heat of the classroom can make an Ajarn delusional, only the select few are salaried on 150K-175K USD in BKK and you arent one.

how does this:

I am undecided. I like all of the following areas:

Soi Sala Daeng

Soi Lang Suan

Phrom Pong

Soi Thong Lo

And then sometimes I think I am entirely better off if I avoid buying a condo central bangkok and instead build a nice house somewhere around the Bangkapi area.

Right now, Soi Lang Suan is leading the pack because its an attractive soi where you dont mind going for a walk, is not noisy, is close to both silom and sukhumwit and siam shopping district. Keep mind I am a driver.

Where do you live and why do you like it over the other areas?

contradict my OP???? And yes, I am a driver, it does mean I don't take the bts from time to time. driving is a nightmare in bangkok.

Edited by realmadrid25

well i hate traveling to Western countries for various reasons but i love traveling to singapore, hong kong, korea and japan. when i arrive back in bangkok from these countries, i get depressed and wish i could afford (ie, made 250K USD + a year) to live comfortably in one of these places.

Odd that you should pick a figure of $250K in that this would be an earning ratio of aproximately 5 times the earnings of your average Joe back there in the West. And this figure of '5 times' is aproximately the disparity of earnings between Average Joe West v Average Somchai Thai.

So if you were earning $250K back home, you'd enjoy similar privalages and a similar dispartity of life style above the local populace as I presume you enjoy in Thailand - Though the options for the wealthy back west are wider and more varied.

On this basis, I suspect that if you were indeed earning $250K you might not hate travelling to Western Countries so much.

what in the world are you talking about? if i had a million bucks a year i would not want to live in the USA.

one can be happy with what they have but there is that reminder that others have more and its enough to make you rob a bunch of shareholders (my parents were in on the ground floor of the enron scandal).

Edited by realmadrid25

what in the world are you talking about? if i had a million bucks a year i would not want to live in the USA.

What are you talking about - There is more to 'The West' than the US of A.

-----

But I guess if you are an American you can't be entirely blamed for not knowing that to be so.

realmadrid, my old pal.

here's some friendly advice.

if you want to be taken seriously here, you really need to keep a track of your lies in the past.

the whole Walter Mitty thing isnt a good look...