What Are You Paying For Health Insurance?

I'll be moving to Thailand to live within the next six months and was wondering about health insurance. I got an online quote from BUPA that came out at over $8000 a year (I'm 65) and thought that seemed pretty excessive. Anyone recommend something cheaper than that?

I'll be moving to Thailand to live within the next six months and was wondering about health insurance. I got an online quote from BUPA that came out at over $8000 a year (I'm 65) and thought that seemed pretty excessive. Anyone recommend something cheaper than that?

Dennis

Why not try Thai Visa Insurance ?

http://insurance.thaivisa.com/quote-form

Hi Dennis

I'm with BUPA here in Thailand and don't pay anywhere near that amount. Did you get your quote from www.bupathailand.com?

Westerner

Dennis

I don't think Thai Visa insurance is available after 60 unless you are already a member.

Dennis

I don't think Thai Visa insurance is available after 60 unless you are already a member.

Thai Visa Insurance can offer products for people of any age - again, please ask :

Hi Dennis

I'm with BUPA here in Thailand and don't pay anywhere near that amount. Did you get your quote from www.bupathailand.com?

Westerner

Thanks. No I didn't try that website. I just entered BUPA into Google and tried whatever site came up. I'll give bupathailand a try.

If you are 65 or older you can't get BUPA Thailand insurance. Nor can you qualify for TV insurance through THI. Actually, you don't have many options here. But, TV can place you with LMG.

I'm 62 and have BUPA hospitalization/Major Medical insurance at the "Emerald" level. Paid B26,000 for this past year. The term you used was "health insurance," which may be more comprehensive. If you add Outpatient care to my policy, the premium would rise by about B15,000 per annum and the limitations on the use of outpatient coverage mean that most people would not recover the additional cost in a typical year, especially if you exclude anything that can be remotely considered "pre-existing conditions." I do get a rebate, I think 10%, each year that I don't make any claims.

I started coverage before I was 60. Starting at 65 may be impossible with the local BUPA.

Thai visa is a good option. You can also try Good Health

I pay about USD 100 / month, and they even cover pre-existing condition after 2 years

I assume Good Health is foreign based? If so, do Thai hospitals recognize it or do you pay upfront and then submit claims after the fact? Is the coverage only for in-patient care?

Thanks.

With foreign insurance companies you have to pay up front for treatment then send all the paperwork to them for the claim.

However we have managed in the past to help a client where he had foreign insurance and was due to have a (very) expensive operation by getting the insurance company to agree to pay the hospital direct – the difficult part was persuading the Thai hospital to agree to that !

We use PPP Internetional, one reason was because we had PPP Private Health care in the UK. I am 62 and my wife is 53. It is combined with International Travel insurance. Covers everywhere except USA and Canada, for obvious reasons.

Its quite expensive, but compehensive, about 3500 english pounds. no out patient cover, last year we got value for money! They will pay many hospitals eg BNH direct.