Own Company & Wp Vs Employment With Wp

When I first came to Thailand in 2006, I set up my own company and applied for a WP based on this.

I have been basically working from my registered office as a kind of freelance broker, paying my tax and social etc. Generally being a good boy and keeping within the rules.

Last month I was offered a permenant position with a company and took the offer on the basis that I would keep my own company and WP and work for them as a consultant, invoicing them for my salary and commissions etc. This gives me freedom, should everything go t*ts up and I suddenly find myself without a job.

However, the company's accountants/legal dept is now saying that they must employ me fully as I am based in their office and this could cause a problem, should immigration pay a visit. Is this right? I can only work from my registered office?

I admit that the thought of not having to deal with all the hassles of keeping my own company is attractive but at the same time I am concerned that the rug could be pulled out from underneath me at any time and I could find myself without a way of earning any money.

Can I suspend my company or does it have to be wound up?

Has anybody else had this experience? What choice would you make in this situation?

Many thanks

HoJo

Im no expert but this sounds weird to me. You can still own your company and just not renew the work permit until you have need of it again, right? No need to close your company over a work permit issue. IF you are not trading for a period you just indicate that in your books surely? Or employ someone at minimum wage to be a secretary and make a loss for a few months at worst?

I understand the WP specifically has the "Place of Work" stated on it and that is where you have to work to be covered by that work permit. Have also seen a post where someone suggests asking for "place of work" to be "in the city/town of...". Don't know if the Labour office are willig to give that kind of flexibilty. Anybody?

I understand the WP specifically has the "Place of Work" stated on it and that is where you have to work to be covered by that work permit. Have also seen a post where someone suggests asking for "place of work" to be "in the city/town of...". Don't know if the Labour office are willig to give that kind of flexibilty. Anybody?

How do you think consultant works? ... only from their office?

So, yes, it can be worded properly.

However, the company's accountants/legal dept is now saying that they must employ me fully as I am based in their office and this could cause a problem, should immigration pay a visit. Is this right? I can only work from my registered office?

I admit that the thought of not having to deal with all the hassles of keeping my own company is attractive but at the same time I am concerned that the rug could be pulled out from underneath me at any time and I could find myself without a way of earning any money.

As long as your work permit mentioned that you will be working at their location, or more broadly at your customers location, there should be no issue with the Labour Department.

I know someone, who transfered (as long, as the law was ok with it) his wp always from his company to his employer's co.

After they stopped this, he did transfer his company(location) in the building of his emplyoers company!

Need a "glasbox"around your office desk, a company sign at that door, should be ok"with that!