For All You Advanced Thai Speakers

kankaroo

I just thought of this today. Normally when I am speaking Thai, people will generally understand but have a wee laugh & giggle at my pronunciation etc. I wondered what reaction you guys (who speak perfect Thai) get when dealing with a Thai who has a smaller vocabulary than yourself.

Maybe vocabulary is not the right word, perhaps intelligence. What I am trying to say is what is the reaction when you use a sophisticated word in Thai, to a Thai person that they don't understand the meaning of ? Has it happened ? What was the reaction ?

I am reading a book at the moment about the evolution of the species and am humbled that I will come across words that I don't know the meaning of. I will then have to look it up in the dictionary.

Interesting......

I just thought of this today. Normally when I am speaking Thai, people will generally understand but have a wee laugh & giggle at my pronunciation etc. I wondered what reaction you guys (who speak perfect Thai) get when dealing with a Thai who has a smaller vocabulary than yourself.
Maybe vocabulary is not the right word
, perhaps intelligence. What I am trying to say is what is the reaction when you use a sophisticated word in Thai, to a Thai person that they don't understand the meaning of ? Has it happened ? What was the reaction ?

I am reading a book at the moment about the evolution of the species and am humbled that I will come across words that I don't know the meaning of. I will then have to look it up in the dictionary.

Interesting......

Is there a prize for sentences like this?

(I spotted it first! :o )

Edited by himachal

Ok, I just noticed it too :o Had a heavy night last night and that is my excuse !

Before this turns into a thread about making a fool of the technicalities of my post, could anybody address the point that I less than eloquently tried to make ?

I'm pretty sure Meadish Sweetball has come across this type of situation before. His aptitude for the Thai language seems to be excellent !