Why New Money 800,000 Every Year

i've heard rumors...

No comment on your rumour.

For the facts, please read this extract from the currently valid rules:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?ac...st&id=55033

--

Maestro

Where on this form does it say that it has to be NEW money 800,00 into the country every year? It only says that you should be able to show that you have had 800,000 in your Thai bank account for over the 3 months just before you re apply for say your 2nd or 3rd Retirement extention.

Example:

Say you have been living here for 4 to 5 years and over this time you have sent money in each year and it has accumulated to say 1.5 million bhat. Seeing you have had less expensers this year than years before. Where does it say that you NEED to now bring yet again a new 800,000 bhat. Does not the 1.5 million bhat that has sat in your bank acount for way over the 3 months requirement matter? Do not the officer look at your bank records to see that you have not spent all of the money that you had in before ( or do they automaticaly think you are working underhand) As you can see over the years your money will or maybe accumalate. You could have made money on the thai share market or pay your thai expenses via visa in a certain year and not use all your cash. So once again were does it say it must be NEW MONEY??

Can some one in the know enlighten me and not 2nd quess as some people seem to do on here.:o

GREAT FOR YOU TO SAY.

But if you are sitting infront of and officer that said last year that it Most be New money. Your comments will not help at the time with this said officers. Where is the Proof of your comment that is what I am looking for.

Need more COMMENTS from people that have not been asked to show this new money on there 2nd or 3rd or 4th extensions.

Thanks

Not asked for my second extension, going on a third. What office are you talking about? An officer said this to you? I remember hearing that Nong Khai has some oddball rules requiring transfer of new money annually; are they still doing this in Nong Khai? The official RULES do not require new annual money.

Edited by Jingthing

Well, I know a number of people, who have had to do renewals, and none of them have had to bring "new money" in.

The only thing I can say is that inconsistency is a way of life in these parts, so can easily believe that you may have been asked.

Well, I know a number of people, who have had to do renewals, and none of them have had to bring "new money" in.

The only thing I can say is that inconsistency is a way of life in these parts, so can easily believe that you may have been asked.

The only cases I have ever heard of with this issue are from the NONG KHAI office. Why worry about something that is NOT A PROBLEM????!!!!!

The only cases I have ever heard of with this issue are from the NONG KHAI office. Why worry about something that is NOT A PROBLEM????!!!!!

JT, I'm not worried!! :D

I am just highlighting that in these parts, different areas have differing rules on different days. :o

It was the Bangkok Imm office last year in August. I will get hopefully bring my last 800,000 this year and make sure AFTER she has stamped my passport to look her in the eyes and ask her why this new money is required every year then take her name.

keep the replies comming. Hence why do I have to re show a letter also from my bank to show the money came in this year. if it is not new money so why am I re asked to show this letter ???????

Edited by warriors

If you discount old stories about Nong Khai (still true?) then in this case, the enforcement across the entire country is VERY CONSISTENT. New 800K of money is NOT required every year. Have a pill.

Is the OP case possibly a LANGUAGE misunderstanding? Of course, a NEW LETTER is required every year. The letter only states your account balance. It is also a great idea to get a document for EACH AND EVERY international transfer into your Thai bank account, so you can prove the money all came from abroad. Especially the first batch when you get started. Some officers are asking for that (or have in the past).

Edited by Jingthing

If I need a pill is I do not want to get this thing again after sitting 5 hours and then rejected what you going to do for me then give me one of your pills??

I sincerely think you have experienced a misunderstanding. Maybe you need a visa agent. Most don't, but you sound stressed. I understand; I have been there. Another possibility is that you have a SPECIAL CASE which you have not provided the details about, so then, how could we know? I can imagine if an officer demanded you show PROOF of foreign transfers and you couldn't produce, I can imagine them saying, next year, show us that you tranferred in 800K from abroad. Have never heard of such a case, but possible I suppose. But that wouldn't be a rule. That would be a client who failed to gather the needed documentation.

Edited by Jingthing

If you discount old stories about Nong Khai (still true?) then in this case, the enforcement across the entire country is VERY CONSISTENT. New 800K of money is NOT required every year. Have a pill.

Is the OP case possibly a LANGUAGE misunderstanding? Of course, a NEW LETTER is required every year. The letter only states your account balance. It is also a great idea to get a document for EACH AND EVERY international transfer into your Thai bank account, so you can prove the money all came from abroad. Especially the first batch when you get started. Some officers are asking for that (or have in the past).

I am from New Zealand and my english spoken is not a problem ( maybe my spelling is but that is not the issue)

I don't mean you. I meant the officer. Good luck. I am going to punt on this and defer to the real visa pros on board here. I do suggest you provide much more specific info on your case, because I strongly suspect there is something unusual about your case.

this is my 4th extension and never use an agent so why start now? I am saying that last year I could see this years problem coming up and that I would have more money in Thailand that I really wanted to have hence why I asked the officer.

So thank you for your comments I will do as I said and ask here AFTER this years stamp is given :o

Please don't kill yourself people ( at least not yet ) .

Its very clear and not hard to understand that they want you

to show 8ook the year , its the minimum number they think you need

for 1 year , so basically if you spend 400k and still have 400k left , the

extension a year after you just need to pop up 4ook to come to 800k for the next extension .

I went with my mother a couple of months ago and they explained to me just as I wrote .

So just to get my head around this Yearly letter from the bank. I know it must say that you have in your bank 800,000 that has sat in your account for the required 3 months.

But then the officer said it must show also on this letter that it came in with in the year of THIS extension. So taking all your comments on board you are saying that the only letter this year I need to show the office is a letter that only says that I have 800,000 in my bank acount and over the 3 months as required.

Yet I better have last years extention over seas transfer papers on me also because the officer can not work it out from my bank book that I have not spent the money. I can see it but they for some reason can not see it.

So it means every year I have to have last years over seas transfer paper or the original first or 2nd deposit from over seas form and sit down with the officer and point back in my bank books here is the entry now add it up and see I did not spend it all.

THANKS

Sometimes the officers require more documentation than the bank book codes. Crazy, but there it is. I think people who have moved banks probably have this problem more often. I am not even sure the letter from the bank says anything about the money being in there for 3 months. But you need to give them a copy of your bank book going back, so they can figure it out. BTW, many reports in Jomtien is NOT enforcing the three month before rule for SUBSEQUENT extensions.

What you should have:

letter from bank showing 800K usually the day before or same day as meeting

copy of bank book

receipts from the THAI bank for all foreign transfers (most people are not asked for this last one)

Edited by Jingthing

Yep I think I wil get the bank to give them a summary of all my over seas transfers into there bank and then let them work it out.

Thanks for your input I am 105 days away from next visit to the hel_l hole and my over seas money has not arrived in my Thai Bank as yet god knows where that has also gone. Hope it arrives tomorrow:)

:o

A couple of months ago some members posted that when they applied for a repeat retirement extension they were asked for proof that the 800k for their first application came from abroad. Apparently this was asked at several immigration offices, including Suan Phlu. I seem to remember one member who said that his first application was six years ago and the bank was able to give him the necessary document.

--

Maestro

Maestro, this story was heard even before than a few months ago. And it can be a bother if you are asked for very old transfers. I think it is good advise to get the FREE receipt for ALL transfers; you never know when they might get funny again. It is always easiest to get them for this year's transfers, the banks will give for free, so why not? But I agree, the report for the first transfer is seen as the most important, so it is worth pursuing, and if you are new to this, start out right and get all the paper. The Thais love the paper.

Edited by Jingthing

Feel better now thank you again ill have all the paper work sorted even a bloody medical one just in case and then I will also ask her do I need this every year wish I had a tape recorder :o

Better safe than sorry after waiting long hours and getting a tired officer who has just had a shitty last client then takes it out on you.

With you need it come back to morrow with this medical form and wait an other bloody 4 hours.

:D

Edited by warriors

Interesting that renewals didnt need 3 months according to some posts

Has anyone actually risked this

Its tempting but if the visa renewal turned down its back to square one

Also please can anyone tell me where to get the 3 years of tax forms forpermanent residence application

As I am really retired and not allowed to work on 'O' visa how does this work

All advice welcome :o

Edited by RubbaJohnny

Interesting that renewals didnt need 3 months according to some posts

Has anyone actually risked this

Several members posted that they were told by Jomthien immigration office that next time their 800k for the retirement extension does not need to be in the account for 3 months before application. I have seen no post by a member saying that he risked it.

Also please can anyone tell me where to get the 3 years of tax forms forpermanent residence application

As I am really retired and not allowed to work on 'O' visa how does this work

It is 3 years of receipts for tax payments. The revenue department automatically gives these receipts to the tax payers. If you do not work in Thailand and thus pay no tax then you do not get these tax receipts. If you wish to work you can apply for a work permit and then get a non-B visa and subsequently annual extensions. If you are married to a Thai and entered Thailand on a non-O visa you can on this basis apply for a work permit and then get annual extensions for marriage.

--

Maestro

maybe this should be a different thread , but here goes anyway . Yesterday i visited several banks in Bangkok to open another account , not satisfied with the two i already have . Or maybe i was just bored. Each bank told me quite emphatically that I was not permitted to open a bank account without showing them a work permit. These are new central bank rules .

So , in the case of over 50s who are retired ; how can they possibly show a 'work' permit ? And without a bank account , how can they show immigration dept that they have the required 800,000 in the bank ?

Interesting

No Problems at Nong Khai 3 months ago. Normal top up 90 days months prior to the extension application, normal bank letter and normal procedure.

:o To the best of my knowledge there is no requirement for "new" money. However, I expect they want to see the account used for living expenses in Thailand. Just opening an account, and leaving the money sitting there, will make the immigration people wonder what funds you are living on. Next questions will be: Are you working in Thailand? If not how do you cover your expenses? Do you earn money in Thailand? Do you pay Thai taxes on it?

So if you have the 800,000 in a Thai bank, it would be wise to use that money to live on, and to use whatever pension or other money you have coming in from outside to top-off the funds. Then you can legitamately document a flow of money in from outside Thailand and a legitimate use of the funds as living expenses.