Is "life Cheap" In Land Of Smiles

Pepe'

I can live with that, it's the sponging attitude that gets to me.

E.g. I'm buying fruit at a stall, a little girl comes along, singles out two juicy apples for herself and her friend, gives me a dazzling smile

and tells the stallholder, "Falang hai".

Or the guy on the street tags along with me, starts a conversation about how he's a victimised professor and can I stand him a beer.

Don't they know these tactics are nothing new to us farangs.

Not inexpensive. It just seems that if you are not putting something in their a Thais pocket they don't have much use for you... :o

And how much use do people in San Diego have for Thais over there?

Try going to Havana Cuba. In terms of hustling you for money it makes Bangkok and Pattaya look like an oasis of restraint. I'll bet no-one has had 6 girls fighting to open the cab door for you and then the winners grabbing your arms and sticking to you like glue in Bangkok.

E.g. I'm buying fruit at a stall, a little girl comes along, singles out two juicy apples for herself and her friend, gives me a dazzling smile

Or the guy on the street tags along with me, starts a conversation about how he's a victimised professor and can I stand him a beer.

Try India. You will realise then just how lucky you are living in Thailand and never complain again

Years and years in Thailand but have never had either of those events happen to me. :o

Try India. You will realise then just how lucky you are living in Thailand and never complain again

:o True. You get our own entourage of beggars and clouds of flies wherever you go.

Years and years in Thailand but have never had either of those events happen to me. :D

Me either! :o

Not inexpensive. It just seems that if you are not putting something in their a Thais pocket they don't have much use for you... :o

And how much use do people in San Diego have for Thais over there?

If they have money they can at least buy whatever they want. Land, house, condo, cars, no restrictions, get treated same as any other American, of whatever color or race. Can you say the same for here?

Yeah mellow, life is so unfair isnt it?

You do understand why, don't you? You do know that it is the very fact that this is a relatively low-cost developing country and that is what attracts us here in the first place and that, as such, the Thai Govt - in a bid to protect the interests of their own people - limits land ownership to their own citizens for EXACTLY that reason.

If they opened up land ownership for foreigners, us foreigners would buy it all while it's cheap and their would be a social catastrophe for the very people the Thai Government is meant to protect.

It's simple when you think about it isn't it?

PS . i can buy as many cars, condos and houses as I like. Im sorry if you feel you can't

Edited by bendix

It just seems to me that you need to change the areas that you frequent.

Forget it LooseCannon. The closest Pepe gets to Thailand is this forum. But that doesnt stop him moralising ad nauseum.