British Nationals

Neeranam

I got the following today by email. :o

Dear Sir/ Madam,

The British Embassy Bangkok encourages British Nationals travelling or living in Thailand to register their details with LOCATE, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office global online registration database.

To register please visit, http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-li...verseas/Locate/

You may email us on [email protected] for queries regarding on-line registration.

Consular Section

British Embassy Bangkok

www.britishembassy.gov.uk/thailand

Benefits of registering with LOCATE?

if a major catastrophe occurs we’ll have an instant record of your details so we can contact you to make sure you’re OK and provide advice

if family and friends need to get in touch with you we can help them to find you

We’re confident Locate will improve our ability to provide help in crisis situations and reduce delay and worry in times of stress for family and friends at home.

Benefits of registering with LOCATE?

if a major catastrophe occurs we'll have an instant record of your details so we can contact you to make sure you're OK and provide advice

if family and friends need to get in touch with you we can help them to find you

We're confident Locate will improve our ability to provide help in crisis situations and reduce delay and worry in times of stress for family and friends at home.

Thanks Neeranam.

1) If a major catastrophe occurs I'd like their help rather than their advice, but I doubt I'd get either.

2) All family and friends that I wish to contact me already have my email address and phone numbers.

3) I'm confident my family could find out details themselves ('in time of stress') far more quickly and accurately then the embassy could / would provide.

I like the idea of working with the government for mutual benefit, sorry I don't believe it. Other than a new passport I think it unlikely that they'll ever help me. I hope that I'm wrong (I have paid taxes and been a 'loyal' citizen for many years after all).

If you are registered as being outside the United Kingdom for more than 180 days a year you can have problems if medical attention, benefits etc etc is required when you go back to the UK

Also something about less than 180 days over a 3 year period makes you no longer a British resident >>?..I may be wrong about time periods but basically bottom line the UK want to Tax you…they don’t give a cr@p where you are for so called emergencies? …too many Brits leaving the place :o

I got the following today by email. :o
Dear Sir/ Madam,

The British Embassy Bangkok encourages British Nationals travelling or living in Thailand to register their details with LOCATE, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office global online registration database.

To register please visit, http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-li...verseas/Locate/

You may email us on [email protected] for queries regarding on-line registration.

Consular Section

British Embassy Bangkok

www.britishembassy.gov.uk/thailand

Would guess with the British goverments obsession with databases and Orwellian attitude towards its nationals you are already "Registered" if you have applied for a passport over the last few years while living in Thailand and have put down a Thai address.....ID cards and silicon implants on the way.....Big brother is watching...!!!

I have also heard the rumour..and stress this is only a rumour...that the muppets currently running the UK are trying for a US Tax type system, in that where ever you are living in the world you would be liable for tax reporting/tax to good old Blighty....they have to get someone to pay for all the EEC migrants and other immigrants....

I also got the same email today. But it is rather bizarre as I don't know how they got my email address.

I don't remember giving it to them even with a passport renewal. It has been a long while since I renewed my passport, so if that was the case I would have expected to have received something from them before at that address, which isn't the case.

It seems there must be some sharing of databases going on here.

Interestingly, there is a footnote on this email that says information can be shared amongst govt. databases.

But even other govt depts. don't have the email address they used, so it's a total mystery how they got hold of me using that address.

I suspect a hidden agenda, esp with "The Taxman" as PM.

Funny you should say that, as the only other establishment that has my email on record is a certain bank I use.

When they use it (as in, when they suddenly remember they should be providing customer service), I suddenly receive other messages from other financial establishments. So obviously they are more than willing to share my details with others and maybe this stretches to the UK govt too!

The problem with the British Government is that if you are out of the uk for a longtime you lose a lot of your benefits so why make it easy for them. They tax you on every pound you make in the uk on your pension or any other income but take away your rights to the benefits you pay for. It would be another crime if they change the tax system to the same as America and still enforce there unjust system of refusing you the benefits your tax pays for. I would tell the British Government as very little about myself as I can.

Regards

Scotsman

I suspect a hidden agenda, esp with "The Taxman" as PM.

Funny you should say that, as the only other establishment that has my email on record is a certain bank I use.

When they use it (as in, when they suddenly remember they should be providing customer service), I suddenly receive other messages from other financial establishments. So obviously they are more than willing to share my details with others and maybe this stretches to the UK govt too!

That would be my guess.

The problem with the British Government is that if you are out of the uk for a longtime you lose a lot of your benefits so why make it easy for them. They tax you on every pound you make in the uk on your pension or any other income but take away your rights to the benefits you pay for. It would be another crime if they change the tax system to the same as America and still enforce there unjust system of refusing you the benefits your tax pays for. I would tell the British Government as very little about myself as I can.

Regards

Scotsman

The only sensible (sane) course of action.

Regards

Scotsman

Yes, but its good to look clean. I live her now with my Thai wife and we have both registered our UK passports with the BE, it does simplify some things.

As I am Non-Resident, Not Normally Resident, a Non-Resident Landlord and get my tax form sent here every year there is no way that I can hide anything. Anyway my bank account shows, as yours may, that I ATM weekly. Having spoken to the Inland Revenue on occassions I realise that they know absolutely everything, their computers are so powerful. They certainly sorted out those UK residents with off-shore bank accounts a few months ago.

I have no desire to ever return to the UK. But you are correct its all wrong that I cannot get free NHS treatment. Our PPP International Health Care and Travel insurance cost over three thousand a year, but we have to have it.

But it's everyone to their own.

spelling edit..sorry

Edited by John45

Regards

Scotsman

Yes, but its good to look clean. I live her now with my Thai wife and we have both registered our UK passports with the BE, it does simplify some things.

As I am Non-Resident, Not Normally Resident, a Non-Resident Landlord and get my tax form sent here every year there is no way that I can hide anything. Anyway my bank account shows, as yours may, that I ATM weekly. Having spoken to the Inland Revenue on occassions I realise that they know absolutely everything, their computers are so powerful. They certainly sorted out those UK residents with off-shore bank accounts a few months ago.

I have no desire to ever return to the UK. But you are correct its all wrong that I cannot get free NHS treatment. Our PPP International Health Care and Travel insurance cost over three thousand a year, but we have to have it.

But it's everyone to their own.

spelling edit..sorry

Just wear a tinfoil hat every time you go online and you'll be safe from the omniscient powerful computers :o