Can I Register Another Company?

Hi,

I'm a director and shareholder of a small company in Thailand. I hold a work permit here, but it expires every 3 months. I can't get a 1 year work permit as I do not have more than 4 thai employees in my company.

Now I would like to register another company, with myself as director. I'll be roping in other Thai people to be the other directors/shareholders.

Can I register another company if I already am the director of the first company? Will there be any problems with my work permit?

Thanks a bunch.

Surely, "you" can. First of all, despite the odeur of the title 'managing director', you aren't but a measly employee in "your" company. Next, it won't be YOU that are registering a company - it'll be a group of seven shareholders. So, although it might be yours all of the money that's put into the new company - you aren't but a shareholder and certainly - one person can be shareholder in as many companies as he can afford.

Edited by Cyberstar

...I hold a work permit here, but it expires every 3 months. I can't get a 1 year work permit as I do not have more than 4 thai employees in my company...Will there be any problems with my work permit?

Depending on the province where you apply for work permit you may in future be required to have at least 4 Thai employees to get the work permit. Sunbelt Asia mentioned in another thread that the Bangkok labour office started this requirement in February of this year.

--

Maestro

Hi,

I'm a director and shareholder of a small company in Thailand. I hold a work permit here, but it expires every 3 months. I can't get a 1 year work permit as I do not have more than 4 thai employees in my company.

Now I would like to register another company, with myself as director. I'll be roping in other Thai people to be the other directors/shareholders.

Can I register another company if I already am the director of the first company? Will there be any problems with my work permit?

Thanks a bunch.

question 1 - yes

question 2 - No

Have a friend of mine who is a director in 3 separate companies and his work permit is through one of the companies, (obviously the one with the most Thai employees to get the extension of stay granted)

But I can only get salary from the company that is registered in my work permit right?

Because I remember someone told me that I'm not supposed to do any work that is not stated in the work permit.

In that case, how do I go about doing "work" legally for the new company?