Stupid Neighbour And His Dogs

Tony Clifton

The fact is many dog bites to Thai children require more medical treatment because when the doctors ask if the family to keep an eye on the dog to see if it shows sign of being rabid, the Thai family has already killed it. :o

I did read somewhere (perhaps on TV a while ago) that if you go, or take someone, to hospital for treatment of a dog bite you should take the head of the dog that did the biting with you!

They look at the brain to determine if it has rabies.

Problem is that if it is rabies, you need treatment right away. If you wait around and the dog eventually starts to show symptoms, it might be too late for the child.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4] as a last resort, exterminate the dog with Carbon Monoxide (exhaust gases from a petroleum powered vehicle). Carbon Monoxide poisoning will first put the victim to sleep & then they will die without apparently being traumatised. Exhaust gases from a diesel powered vehicle will not work.

I often wonder why they do not use this for executions. I guess they figure it takes too long and no one wants to wait around for it.

Check your history, it has been done in the past and it seemed to be rather effective.

"I went to get smokes and slowed down at the speed bump, heard a noise next to me and saw the red dog trying to take a bite out of my leg,"

Hi Tony, maybe time to quit smoking for the sake of your health :o ???

"I went to get smokes and slowed down at the speed bump, heard a noise next to me and saw the red dog trying to take a bite out of my leg,"

Hi Tony, maybe time to quit smoking for the sake of your health :D ???

I believe Tony has been smoke-free for about 5 months now. Good on him!!

I quit Dec 10 2007.

Wife went to get noodles on the motorcycle yesterday and met the three dogs making their round in the village.

I drove by and saw that he`s had a pile of sand and bricks dumped at his house. Looks like he`s about to fence the dogs in on his property.

Edited by Tony Clifton

Kill dog = Problem solved.

Its only a animal, thats life.

Ahem..."we" are animals too. Is your first name George by any chance? Does your middle name begin with W?

No need to bring something unrelated into this thread, we are not here discussing US politics or politicians, thanks

get out of there and check out the next place for dogs some places dont have them .

Some places don't have them? What part of the country is that? Dogs are everywhere 24/7, from rural locations to gated communities. A hi-rise condo might not have any, but the instant you step foot outside.... you're back in dog territory.

Actually I've found Muslim neighborhoods to be pleasantly free of street dogs(and often cleaner in general). Much easier to find if you live in the south maybe not an option in Bangkok.

Edited by YaiJung

Some places don't have them? What part of the country is that? Dogs are everywhere 24/7, from rural locations to gated communities. A hi-rise condo might not have any, but the instant you step foot outside.... you're back in dog territory.

no stray dogs in our gated community and one hardly ever sees somebody walking a dog on the street.

Good to hear that there are some places that are no-barking mutt-free zones. Unfortunately, I see them wandering around seemingly everywhere. I wasn't so much implying they're in ALL gated communities, but I have seen them in gated communities as well. They still manage to slip in. In some of the gated communities I've been in, some people do have dogs but let them wander. I see them on various steets and sois. Sometimes it seems like they're as thick as fleas, most looking for a handout or snoozing on the walks or along the curbs or even in the middle of the drives. And not just in BKK and surrounding areas, but other locations as well. Never been very far in the South, so I have no idea what its like down there.

Never been hassled by a dog, except one time in the Soi Cowboy area in the morning by a nasty-tempered nipper. It just growled at me, but nipped a lady who was out sweeping. I like dogs, but it seems to me there are just way too many of them roaming around in various places. And although I'd never want to kill or injure one, some people who own dogs just let them wander like feral strays. That can be a bit irritating IMO.

I drove by and saw that he`s had a pile of sand and bricks dumped at his house. Looks like he`s about to fence the dogs in on his property.

Wow, i'm impressed he is actually going to stop the dogs, must of been some talk with the villegehead.

Actually I've found Muslim neighborhoods to be pleasantly free of street dogs(and often cleaner in general). Much easier to find if you live in the south maybe not an option in Bangkok.

Relocate to Baghdad then. Sadr City is very clean (in general).

I'm sure you'll find the tuk-tuk drivers there a lot more amicable. While you are there, maybe you can post your interesting observations regarding law enforcement officers, surely they can't be as bad as the "scum bag" ones you have encountered on Thai soil.

I also hope while you are there that you have a lot more respect for bomb disposal officers than you do for their Thai counterparts.

Living in the Moo Ban can be quite a challenge. Rightly or wrongly, this guy's family has probably lived in or around with these dogs for hundreds of years. Many of us left our countries of birth due to social over regulation. Chosing where to live should take these kinds of things into account. Do you really want leash laws pooper scoopers?

a simaliar thing happened to me when i take my dog for his morning and evening walks on his leash and we used to get attacked by couple of dogs till i got my cricket bat out and started hitting them for six in front of the owner and now when they see me they run away and stay away same goes for the owner

Edited by steves_the_1

Poisonning the dogs, what a good idea.

Some idiot was upset with my neighbours 3 dogs barking and laid down poison near our house.

Mine was first to die in my hands.

If I can get hold of the poisonner I will have him drink his own potion :o

If your dogs weren't tied up and were let to run loose then you and them got what you deserved. Any dog out like that who even attempts to bite someone should result in the owner being charged with attempted murder. Have you ever seen a three year old child attacked by dogs?

If your dogs were locked in your yard then I apologise; this post is not meant for you. In your case noise pollution laws would take care of it (probably not in Thailand though)

Sorry to hear all that, Tony. I've had run-ins with dog owners in Thailand before (the worst was at a Wat - I was attacked, as was another foreigner the year before; they still didn't get rid of the dogs though) so I sympathize with you.

Have you got a digital camera, one that takes movies? Might be an idea to carry it so you can start filming if you suspect trouble. These days you can fit several minutes of reasonable quality video on a 2 gb card.

Just a thought. Good luck.

---

Poisonning the dogs, what a good idea.

Some idiot was upset with my neighbours 3 dogs barking and laid down poison near our house.

Mine was first to die in my hands.

How appalling...

$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'm also a dog lover and an animal lover as well.

I'm always confused about unlimited compassion for pets, from persons that live on the carcases of all sorts of creatures that have been painfully slaughtered wholesale.

Just a thought... :o

So, the idea is to film a problem dog gnawing your leg off, or whilst it is attacking your child. The film can then be used as evidence against the owner.

Brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Happens all the time in Farangland - vicious family pet (rottweiller, bull mastiff or some other totally inappropriate breed) bites child on face.

Parents usual response - "it's never done anything like this before" or "it's always really good with children" or some other totally inane comment.

These people shouldn't be allowed to own dogs, let alone breed & have children.

One of the less desirable side effects of Thailand moving into the 20th century is the increased practice of keeping dogs as pets. This is as pets in the western manner (indoor & touchy-feely) rather than the tradional Thai style of outdoor, mangy, never-to-be-touched type of dog.

This trend seems to have taken off in recent years, possibly as a result of increased affluence & the selective aping of the farang, but has not been followed by the concept of responsible ownership. To be fair to the Thais, irresponsible owners in the west also make up a significant percentage of the total of dog owners, but poorly disciplined 'home' dogs are probably more of a menace than the 'beaten into submission' & 'tail between the legs' soi dog. At least you know where you stand with the soi dog & so do they.

Dogs & children do not mix & I don't care what breed it is.

So, the idea is to film a problem dog gnawing your leg off, or whilst it is attacking your child. The film can then be used as evidence against the owner.

actually, i don't think he would be capable of filming a dog while it was gnawing his leg off, and i would hope he wouldn't just stand there and film while it was attacking a kid. silly post, in my opinion.

i actually think filming the act, possibly from a friend from a safe distance, would go a long way in proving the danger of "said" dogs.

Agreed. There was a tragic case in New Zealand around '99 or 2000. An 8 year old boy was attacked by the family pet, an Alsatian. He survived, but needed around 70 stitches all over his body.

Yet if you go to www.dog-breed-facts.com you'll see they say "Alsatians are good with children".

---

Wow, i'm impressed he is actually going to stop the dogs, must of been some talk with the villegehead.

Maybe the Poo Yai Baan went to have a look and got nipped by one of the cuddly critters.

My family had golden retrievers as a child and also as an adult. Never did they have any hint at being any problem.

I think it really does matter what the bread is, and how the dog is raised/trained. The dog needs to know who the boss is.

Before moving to Asia, I had a golden retriever, and I used to train her when she was a pup by taking her food away in the middle of eating. If there was any growl, then she got a swat. After a little while, I could do anything and she would accept it because I was the alpha dog. And she was not beaten into submission, she was just like any other dog. She is a well trained dog. I could put a steak on the ground in front of her and tell her to leave it, and she would. I could leave and come back, and it would still be sitting there.

You've been saying for months now that you are leaving Thailand. I thought you would have left by now.

He has to posion the dog's just as he's leaving. ???? <deleted> - time to go man before you get into bigger problems :o

Living in the Moo Ban can be quite a challenge. Rightly or wrongly, this guy's family has probably lived in or around with these dogs for hundreds of years.

WOW! I had no idea dogs live that long! :o

Brilliant :D :D

(not so) Simple solution to Thailand's dog problems. Sharks and Cats!

Round up the dogs and take them on a one-way sea voyage .. replace them with cats .. preferably, neutered cats.

What - so they can start killing off the native birds and other fauna?

actually, i don't think he would be capable of filming a dog while it was gnawing his leg off, and i would hope he wouldn't just stand there and film while it was attacking a kid. silly post, in my opinion.

i actually think filming the act, possibly from a friend from a safe distance, would go a long way in proving the danger of "said" dogs.

If nothing is done I have thought of embarassing them all by filming the dogs in action from the safety of my truck nearby and record how they chase motorcycles, bicycles and scare off pedestrians. There's a perfect spot to park the truck nearby and film them in action.

Maybe the Poo Yai Baan went to have a look and got nipped by one of the cuddly critters.

AS I said before, I saw there's a pile of bricks and sand on the street next to his house but I drove by very quickly on the m'cycle yesterday and it seems work is being done inside the house, not outside. :o Seems it has nothing to do with keeping the dogs fenced in on the property. :D I haven't got an update from the village council yet.