Cooking Show Programme Was Cancelled Because Of Attempts To Topple Me : Samak

george

Samak explains his cooking show programme was cancelled because of attempts to topple him

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Sunday said the Election Commission ordered the cancellation of his cooking show programme following complaints by his opponents that he had breached the laws concerning the premier's qualifications.

He said two opponents filed a complaint with the EC alleging him with serving as an employee for hosting the Chim Pai Bon Pai (Tasting while complaining) TV programme.

After the EC took up the complaint for an investigation, it ordered the suspense of his programme.

But Samak argued that he had consulted the legal experts and believed that he is not in status of an employee for the company but he is hired on the case-by-case basis to host the programme.

-- The Nation 2008-05-18

----

Samak abruptly cancels cooking programme shooting in Phetchabun

PHETCHABUN: -- Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej Saturday cancelled a shooting his cooking show programme in Phetchabun abruptly.

He was initially to shoot his Chim Pai Bon Pai (Complaining while tasting) programme at a fresh market in Phetchabun's Muang district but cancelled the plan and left the province.

Many vendors at the market waited in vain to him to show how to cook.

Matichon Online said the prime minister cancelled the shooting of his programme after he dropped by at a restaurant and had a pork blood soup.

-- The Nation 2008-05-17

Advertisement

Top Stories

1. Samak explains his cooking show programme was cancelled because of attempts to topple him

2. AEC to press exim case

3. Burmese children charged with illegal entry

4. Buddhists losing faith

5. Veera invites Thaksin to birthday party

6. House to convene special session from June 9 to 30

7. 200 busted a day since cellphone ban

8. Chai appointed by royal command as House speaker

9. Public prosecutors delay decision on SC Asset case

10. BMA approves Bt2 million to help Burma, China

Does anyone else find the use of the word, 'topple' in the headline misleading?

More than misleading... totally and utterly stupid... But you know the guys at Nation... Some of them should be... toppled ! :o

It's just a surreal -like often in Thailand- legal dispute.

Edited by cclub75

I think we're just days or maybe a week or two away from another coup..Hope not, but I've got a bad feeling about this. They'll try to 'justify' it by saying the Govt was attempting to 'meddle' with the constitution for self-serving interests and wasn't attending to the matters of state (both of which are probably true).

More dark days ahead I think..

Edited by thaigene2

Does anyone else find the use of the word, 'topple' in the headline misleading?

More than misleading... totally and utterly stupid... But you know the guys at Nation... Some of them should be... toppled ! :D

It's just a surreal -like often in Thailand- legal dispute.

Whether it's invisible hands, balding men, or a coup in the making..... Samak has been blaming assorted unknowns for trying to topple him for weeks...

I'm gonna start wearing a ballcap all the time from now now..... :o:D:D

and gloves... for "invisible hands"

Samak orders hunt for balding mystery man

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has instructed police to search for the ''man with the receding hairline'' who tried to sabotage the government and the royal family. Samak said during his televised programme yesterday that the man was suspected of leaking news to instigate political divisions in the country. Samak also branded news coverage of the meeting of the army's top brass with Privy Council president Gen Prem Tinsulanonda as ''inauspicious''. Rumours of a coup and such coverage of an army meeting last Wednesday was seen by Samak as ''an intent to portray political divisions''. Samak said: ''That man with receding hairline broke the news that excited the people. That person called many people, including the police chief, to meet him.''

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/12May2008_news13.php

From the guys are that are continually cracking me up with factual translations of Thai newspapers.... 2bangkok.com

P5131787.jpg

Poojadkuan, May 13, 2008 - The balding men from all over the country gather and are furious at Samak for naming them.

EC sets up committee for PMs cooking show dilemma

Secretary-General of the Election Commission (EC) Suthipol Taweechaikarn commented on the event of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej preparing to submit his credentials for review by the EC after he was accused of being unfit for his position as he is an employee on his cooking television show. :D:o*They make it sound like his primary job is the cooking show and being PM is merely a "moonlighting gig" for which he didn't have his boss's pre-authorization.....*:D

Suthipol said that the matter has been brought up before and thus the EC has established special committee to investigate the issue.

The committee has been given 15 days to conclude the matter and the EC has allowed it complete freedom to decide on the case.

The Secretary-General said that the EC does not want any cases to be delayed and he is sure this matter will be summarized in the allotted time.

- ThaiNews (today)

====================================

Additionally, a special, vice-deputy, sub-sub committee was contemplated for cclub's benefit since they are his favorite pet peeve... :D

Edited by sriracha john

Samak has been blaming assorted unknowns for trying to topple him for weeks...

I'm an assorted unknown, but I haven't toppled for a long time now, I may need to start with a tipple first, just as a warm up.

I do make a very good beef stew and dumplings though...... even with Thai beef .... haven't tried it with pigs nose yet ..... still, there's always one more box to tick.

I feel so hopeless you know.

Such a clown in charge of a country.

When asking the people in my office about him they tell: Yes him good and talk very simple, easy to understand.

I guess they get what they deserve.

soon a coup my wife things.

Here in my office everone means, as earlier a coup as better for Thailand...

Translation, please! (Sonthi, is that you?)

And let me guess - everyone in your office can speak English, comes from upper middle class background, has a sister-in-law or brother or whatever in some sort of business which has left them unusually rich - far more than you, and they have a cousin with an officer's rank in the civil service (this Dept or that) who seemed to be doing fine in the old patronage way of doing things til these TRT/PPP guys came along! And Thaksin's Chinese too - how dare he!!!

Go on - ASK THEM!! This is what it's all about Pal. Loss of access by one priviledged group to the spoils which they felt was their birthright (since General Grand-dad had explained it anyway), now they are being usurped by another that hasn't "paid their dues" to society or THE ESTABLISHMENT - but be careful, pointing this out too closely, you could end up on the "watch list" for such a suggestion - that "Watch List" is getting hysterically exagerated!!!! Things are staring to crumble and they're freaking out..THEY'RE SCARED - and that's dangerous.

soon a coup my wife things.

Here in my office everone means, as earlier a coup as better for Thailand...

Translation, please! (Sonthi, is that you?)

And let me guess - everyone in your office can speak English, comes from upper middle class background, has a sister-in-law or brother or whatever in some sort of business which has left them unusually rich - far more than you, and they have a cousin with an officer's rank in the civil service (this Dept or that) who seemed to be doing fine in the old patronage way of doing things til these TRT/PPP guys came along! And Thaksin's Chinese too - how dare he!!!

Go on - ASK THEM!! This is what it's all about Pal. Loss of access by one priviledged group to the spoils which they felt was their birthright (since General Grand-dad had explained it anyway), now they are being usurped by another that hasn't "paid their dues" to society or THE ESTABLISHMENT - but be careful, pointing this out too closely, you could end up on the "watch list" for such a suggestion - that "Watch List" is getting hysterically exagerated!!!! Things are staring to crumble and they're freaking out..THEY'RE SCARED - and that's dangerous.

Seems a reasonable analysis, which probably shouldnt move further than this point on this board.

I'd just like to point out there are however Thai-Chinese on both sides of the whose gonna control everything power struggle as there are old Thai power groups.

Overall, it doesnt portend well for the next few years.

But it does ignore the fact that Thaksin's position was created under the so called patronage 'system', his grandfather was a rentier, his father too, with a political spin, and he as a bag-man and ultimately benefited from a non competitive issuance of the originally monopolistic licence for gsm telephony {and hardware supply}. When in power he had no wish to change the system, simply integrate it into his perceived power base, whilst dispensing largess {from taxes collected} to the populous {sotto voice "I'm taking from Bangkokians and giving to you"} and targeted actions within the hierarchy.

The ultimate irony is that he would probably still be PM if he had announced on the day that his children sold the company that he was setting up some suitably named and headed foundation with one of those oversized cardboard cheques for, say half the tax liability if the transaction had not been, questionably, through the SET. After all AIS had been on the block for years but no one wanted the rest of the rubbish within the group.

Where he failed was in delivering anything meaningful to the country as a whole, whilst encouraging divisiveness.

Regards

But it does ignore the fact that Thaksin's position was created under the so called patronage 'system', his grandfather was a rentier, his father too, with a political spin, and he as a bag-man and ultimately benefited from a non competitive issuance of the originally monopolistic licence for gsm telephony {and hardware supply}. When in power he had no wish to change the system, simply integrate it into his perceived power base, whilst dispensing largess {from taxes collected} to the populous {sotto voice "I'm taking from Bangkokians and giving to you"} and targeted actions within the hierarchy.

The ultimate irony is that he would probably still be PM if he had announced on the day that his children sold the company that he was setting up some suitably named and headed foundation with one of those oversized cardboard cheques for, say half the tax liability if the transaction had not been, questionably, through the SET. After all AIS had been on the block for years but no one wanted the rest of the rubbish within the group.

Where he failed was in delivering anything meaningful to the country as a whole, whilst encouraging divisiveness.

Regards

I think you are totally right to point this out. The current power struggle is one between two elite groups who have different visions of where their country should go/be. It certainly isnt about the rise of a grassroots movement, revolutionary movement, or even middle class movement. All analysis of the situation has to be based on it being a struggle between powerful groups who believe in top down systems but whose interests rely on different courses. This kind of struggle is also not unique to Thailand. The histories of many countries show similar ones.

You are also probably right about his being able to stay in power if he had set up a charitable foundation at the time. Funny that this is exactly what he now talks of doing.

As to delivering anything meaningful to the country, that was probably not his direct aim anyway although in some ways it can be argued that by politicising the poor and ironically the middle class (who previously used to stay clear of poltics and were usually a low turn out group in elections) he has in a way set Thailand on the path for more democratic change in the future. This was also probably not his aim when he started out. As for the divisiveness, it may be that he focused it and that he brought it out, but the there has always been a divide between so many groups in Thailand. Before it was just kept under the surface so well at most times. Now it is probably going to be nigh on impossible to calm it down again without addressing the issues, and this could be painful. Maybe without Thaksin it would have stayed under the surface a while longer but I think sooner or later it would have come out. Maybe at some later date an analysis of Thaksin will be that he casued certain things to start to change but he himself will be seen more as a false hope - someone who could have delivered so much but didnt really change anything and what he did set in motion was more by chance than by plan, a kind of catalyst. Lets just hope the changes are of the evolutionary and peaceful kind as time ticks by.

The current power struggle is one between two elite groups who have different visions of where their country should go/be. It certainly isnt about the rise of a grassroots movement, revolutionary movement, or even middle class movement. All analysis of the situation has to be based on it being a struggle between powerful groups who believe in top down systems but whose interests rely on different courses.

You're both right - except that there are factions within the TRT camp that were supporters of this grass-roots movement. They were a coalition of sorts..the true believes I guess you could call them. But many were put off by the blatant manipulation that followed Thaksin's rise. Whatever the reality of TRT/PPP, the rural grassroots and lower working classes still see them as "their" party. That's why I also agree with you that this does not portend well at all..

To remove the working-rural-class's popularly elected party yet again by PAD demos could really light the fuse...

ML what-his-name in the Post today is suggesting a counter-coup by PPP to headoff a coup - in other words the PPP-friendly military factions take power and arrest the PAD guys - perhaps after a 'staged' violent event.

It really does not look good does it.

... As for the divisiveness, it may be that he focused it and that he brought it out, but the there has always been a divide between so many groups in Thailand.

He was the first politician to play on those divisions and draw clear lines between "us" and "them" and he turned these groups into archrival protagonists. He also forced people with no agenda to be identified with one of the two camps. In this climate any attempts to create any neutral grouping are doomed to fail.

... As for the divisiveness, it may be that he focused it and that he brought it out, but the there has always been a divide between so many groups in Thailand.

He was the first politician to play on those divisions and draw clear lines between "us" and "them" and he turned these groups into archrival protagonists. He also forced people with no agenda to be identified with one of the two camps. In this climate any attempts to create any neutral grouping are doomed to fail.

That is the worst thing about this whole situation. Alternative views are just not tolerated.

The rush to push through a new constitution is plainly to neutralise the AEC and render all its investigations 'illegal'.

But Thaksin has always maintained his innocence, so why fear them? And he can afford the best lawyers available.

The courts must do their work, verdicts must be seen to be transparent, and then Thailand can move on.

If Thaksin is guilty then he must face the consequences or flee to Man City, providing the fans have not renamed him Frankenstein.

If he's innocent then obviously he can come back.

All his actions suggest however he's got a lot to hide, and now he's turned his back on his fawning sycophant, 'Eepen' who revealed a little too much with his speech to the foreign journalists.

The AEC must be annihilated along with all the other rubbish left over from the military coup. The military must learn a lesson; the people must speak! Then, and only then, should all the past politicians be held accountable.

The AEC must be annihilated along with all the other rubbish left over from the military coup. The military must learn a lesson; the people must speak! Then, and only then, should all the past politicians be held accountable.

What do you know about the members of the AEC to call them rubbish? Have you met Mr Sak or Kaeowsan? Or are you showing your usual ignorance?

What do you know about the members of the AEC to call them rubbish? Have you met Mr Sak or Kaeowsan? Or are you showing your usual ignorance?

I see, anyone who puts forth an opinion different than your own is ignorant. Seems a bit fascist, doesn't it Mr. Militarist?