Question About Stolen Passport And Visa (yearly Extension)

A foreign neighbour which have spent the last 10 years in Thailand and with address here was on a holiday in Europe early this year (not to his home country) On a layover at a airport in Europe he got robbed for all his valuables included his passport.

He got a new passport from his embassy in the country where this happen. He also got a Police report about the incidence. The man is a modest and quite well off pensioner and continued his holiday. When he comes back to Thailand about a month later he contacted his bank and got a new Bankbook and credit card.

When he contacted the Thai immigration with the hope that they, which have all the information and documents regarding his visa could give him a new stamp in his new passport he get the message that he have to start it all over again. :o

Is this usual practice?

Dont know the usual practice in this rather "Rare" case

What visa did he have to enter the Kingdom on his new passport?

30 day visa free entry?

If he has any photocopies of his old passport or Documents submitted already

- I would consider it worth another try to have the "existing" visa or extension in the Old Stolen passport

transferred to the New Passport - otherwise - if he has a Retirement Visa for example

- it will require a new Non Imm visa from his home country.

Where did he try already? - Did the Officer REALLY understand the Situation?

Could the Counter in Suan Phlu "Correction of mistakes at Airport - be of any help maybe??

Seems like it should not be much different than someone losing or having their passport stolen while in Thailand. Can't they go to immigration and get their extension of stay put into their new passport in that case? Ok, a little different, since he came back into the country, but it seems like they could figure that out.

A foreign neighbour which have spent the last 10 years in Thailand and with address here was on a holiday in Europe early this year (not to his home country) On a layover at a airport in Europe he got robbed for all his valuables included his passport.

He got a new passport from his embassy in the country where this happen. He also got a Police report about the incidence. The man is a modest and quite well off pensioner and continued his holiday. When he comes back to Thailand about a month later he contacted his bank and got a new Bankbook and credit card.

When he contacted the Thai immigration with the hope that they, which have all the information and documents regarding his visa could give him a new stamp in his new passport he get the message that he have to start it all over again. :o

Is this usual practice?

I suppose he is in Thailand now on a 30 day stamp.

If he has got at least 21 days left on his period of stay and he qualifies for a retirement extension, he can apply to change his 30 day stamp into a Non-Im 90 day (change of status) after which he will be able to apply for the usual 1 year extension.

He will need the usual 800k in bank and/or income letter

Good luck

30 day visa free entry?

- I would consider it worth another try to have the "existing" visa or extension in the Old Stolen passport

transferred to the New Passport - otherwise - if he has a Retirement Visa for example

Could the Counter in Suan Phlu "Correction of mistakes at Airport - be of any help maybe??

He will NOT have to return to his home country unless he is applying for a Non-Immigrant O-A visa.

30 day visa free entry?

He will NOT have to return to his home country unless he is applying for a Non-Immigrant O-A visa.

Reckon he should also go to his embassy here in Bangkok and request the standard form letter to Immigration for a "lost passport."  The embassy might just be willing to do the letter even tho the passport was lost elsewhere.  This letter is what Immigration might be looking for, something familiar, not a "complicated" explanation.

Mac

Believe everything else is mute as he did not enter Thailand using a re-entry permit - his extension of stay died with his exit. But it is not even clear he had an extension of stay from OP. If it was just a multi entry visa there is nothing Immigration can ever do about that loss.

Will assume he was on a retirement extension of stay from the "pensioner" phrase.

He can start with a visa exempt/tourist visa/non immigrant visa.

If non immigrant after 60 days makes the normal application showing financials and 1,900 baht.

If visa exempt/tourist he converts at Immigration with 21 days or more remaining on permitted to stay stamp for cost of 2,000 baht and then applies for extension as above after 60 days.

He was on retirement extension of stay ,I come to call it yearly extension.

He have been to Suan Phlu and got told he have to go back to the immigration office where he got his extension of stay, but it is there they tell him to start it all over.

Seems unnecessary when immigration sit on the documents and all info needed for a extension of stay, but well TIT.

As I said above - he did not renter Thailand with a re-entry permit so the extension of stay is lost - the same for anyone not using a re-entry permit when on an extension of stay. If he had lost passport already in Thailand they could have transferred the stamps - but without the re-entry permit entry believe there hands are tied.

As I said above - he did not renter Thailand with a re-entry permit so the extension of stay is lost - the same for anyone not using a re-entry permit when on an extension of stay. If he had lost passport already in Thailand they could have transferred the stamps - but without the re-entry permit entry believe there hands are tied.

But what if he did have a re-entry permit? I do not see anywhere, where he says that he did not have one. I would hope that someone that has been here on extensions of stay for 10 years would know to get a re-entry permit prior to leaving.

Sure he did not come back in on it, but with the circumstances, it seems like immigration should know that he had an extension of stay, and a re-entry permit.

If a person goes back to their own country and gets a new passport, they do not make them start all over. Probably because they have the old passport to show, but being that it was stolen, seems like they could put them into his new passport. That is what they do when a passport is stolen in Thailand.

I think he needs to work his way up the chain of command.

I feel sorry for the person whose passport was stolen.

Personally every time I get a visa extensioon or change anything in my passport I scan the relevant pages so I always have a backup copy should anything like this happen to me. Of course my computer could be stolen as well but then again you can only back up so much.

I had my handbag stolen in Bangkok with my passport in it and even though I had a police report and a letter from the British embassy requesting that they (Thai immigration) re-issue the visa status I already had in my old passport (and I had copies of it) they would not do it. Apparently it is not possible to have a non-immigrant B 1 year multi entry visa issued in Thailand. I had to leave the country and re-apply for my non-immigrant B visa from the beginning. I have never had so much hassle and it cost me a fortune to get the same visa I had in my old passport.

He had e re-entry permit and a copy of his passport. But the thieves got it all plus enough Euros to live comfortable for a month in Southern Europe.Two people was behind the robbery, one woman distracted him and the second person grabbed his small shoulder bag. :o The incidence is even on video from the surveillance cameras at one of the busiest airport in Europe.

I had my handbag stolen in Bangkok with my passport in it and even though I had a police report and a letter from the British embassy requesting that they (Thai immigration) re-issue the visa status I already had in my old passport (and I had copies of it) they would not do it. Apparently it is not possible to have a non-immigrant B 1 year multi entry visa issued in Thailand. I had to leave the country and re-apply for my non-immigrant B visa from the beginning. I have never had so much hassle and it cost me a fortune to get the same visa I had in my old passport.

Not being able to reissue the visa is not that uncommon. Many countries cannot do it. I know that if you have a visa for the US, and you lose your passport or it is stolen, then you need to reapply for a new one. They cannot reissue it.