Move It On Over,

So, the girlfriends in a domestic mood. Says it's time to get a suitable doghouse for my dog and her 2 "pooden". I've been drafting plans for a house of sufficient size that allows for ease of cleaning and forced ventilation. All plans thusfar shot down for one reason or another. Then it came to me, this is what she really wants:

post-25601-1211620961_thumb.jpg

Well, I'll be damned if I'm putting my dog in that solar oven; maybe the pooden.... Anyhow, anyone know a supplier of ready made doghouses in Thailand suitable for my 30 kg Pointer that provides ease of cleanliness and ventilation? Thanks.

Form follows function. What is the objective? Provide cover from sun/rain - but allow ventilation, I might suggest a fan as well? How about a simple small roof style open sided structure - almost a small beach hut in design. I would suggest getting the local bamboo person to make it as after a period of doggie habitation you might want to burn it down and provide a new one? (due to bugs etc.)

If you need to house a small dog as well - the small dogs in my experiance value a place of safety that will allow them a location to hide when 'playing' with the bigger dogs so a small access door - too small for your larger dogs to get in.

I like the the word 'doghouse'. I'm going to use that one. :o

Have you had a look at Ran Raksat already? (parking lot Robinson or in between Carrefour and Makro). They've got plenty ready made 'doghouses'. If your dog has to sleep in it at night you can put a mosquito net around it and in the winter blankets.

Nienke

They have some basic ones at the plant/pet market close to Old Chiang Mai Cultural Centre.

My Golden Retriever has one, but it is only used as a place of refuge when she sees me in the car with the engine turned on. Somewhere along the line she has learned that she should get to a safe place when this happens. :o

Well, the one I designed had a roof with piano hinges on both sides so you could open the top and sweep it out. Square widow openings on 2 sides and a rectangular entrance. I was the going to have the screen guy make me a screen door and window screens to fit. I was going to put one of those in wall round ventilation fans in the after peak. Anyway, as I say, thatplan got scuttled.

Whicher doghouse I end up with will sit under another outsude roof, but should be weatherproof enough to sit in the elements if she changes the layout of things once again.

They have some basic ones at the plant/pet market close to Old Chiang Mai Cultural Centre.

My Golden Retriever has one, but it is only used as a place of refuge when she sees me in the car with the engine turned on. Somewhere along the line she has learned that she should get to a safe place when this happens. :o

My Golden sleeps beside the house on bare concrete and when it rains he goes out and lays in the rain until he is drenched then moves back beside the house. He likes to sleep in mud holes after a hard rain. Actually I think he knows that the wife will give him a bath after he gets all muddy. He loves to have baths. I put an old blanket on his sleeping spot and he drug it out of the way. I fixed him a nice spot in the garage but he has NEVER slept there.

My Golden sleeps beside the house on bare concrete and when it rains he goes out and lays in the rain until he is drenched then moves back beside the house. He likes to sleep in mud holes after a hard rain. Actually I think he knows that the wife will give him a bath after he gets all muddy. He loves to have baths. I put an old blanket on his sleeping spot and he drug it out of the way. I fixed him a nice spot in the garage but he has NEVER slept there.

Same same but different here. My dog sleeps on a blanket on tiles. He's 12 1/2 now and the bugs bother him more than they used to, so I'd like to have him in a screen enclosure, at least at night. Funny thing about the water. He'll swim endlessly (to the point I think he'll exhaust himself and drown) in a river, creek, lake or ocean, but when he sees a hose in my hand he goes to hide behind the bushes. Absolutely detests baths.

Same same but different here. My dog sleeps on a blanket on tiles. He's 12 1/2 now and the bugs bother him more than they used to, so I'd like to have him in a screen enclosure, at least at night. Funny thing about the water. He'll swim endlessly (to the point I think he'll exhaust himself and drown) in a river, creek, lake or ocean, but when he sees a hose in my hand he goes to hide behind the bushes. Absolutely detests baths.

I think he likes it.

post-17093-1211698442_thumb.jpg

If it is in the sun, you would do well to put some of the reflective stuff under the roof - it will make it_much_cooler for pooch.

If you wish to disagree, do so after you have tried it. Works well for humans as well, but a well entrenched misinformation campaign would have you believe otherwise.

In the US doghouses are very common and shortly after acquiring my dog I set off looking for one. Like the OP, came across things that looked more like concentration-camps- for- pups than what I had in mind. Searched high and low, even braved the heat and horrors of Chatuchak with no luck but finally found exactly what I wanted (albeit in unfinished wood so I had to stain and varnish it) at a garden center with pet supply shop that was on the road leading from Chatuchak to the onramp for the RamaIX/Chengwattana tollway. There are a whole bunch odf them together, with lots of flower pots and and gren statuatory out on the pavement. The dog house comes in 2 sizes, was inexpensive, the largest would work for a 30 kg dog. Well ventilated but secure from rian and sun, made of wood. My dog and I are quite happy with it.

• 3 weeks later...