Criminal Record And Non Imm O-a Visa

First let me say i DON'T have any sort of criminal record, so, just out of interest (and in case i DO get one in the near future...see below) how fastidious are the Thai Authorities at looking at, and judging the "level of crime" commited when deciding to issue/renew a non imm o-a retirement visa. Is it just a case of seeing "something against your name" and refusing to issue one?

Reason i ask is, here in UK more and more people are getting fined and, therefore getting a criminal record for the most ridiculous things.........like dropping litter (stubbing out cigarettes by "flooring" them, then standing on them for example) or even leaving their bins out on the wrong day, or too full.

Even instances of parents being fined when their kids drop litter from their pushchairs.

Petty little things like the aforementioned might not seem a big deal, but this is happening more and more to more and more people

I would HATE to find, that, when the time comes for me to apply for a visa, i am blocked from getting it because i let my wheelie bin out too early, or some other "criminalisation" foisted on me by the powers that be here in UK

This isnt even a rant about "good old Blighty" going to the dogs, but, like i say, more a case of knowing whats what

Penkoprod

i have had a multi entry o for 5 years now and i have never been asked about my background.

NOT AS IF I HAVE BEEN CAUGHT,OOPS I MEAN HAD A RECORD FOR THAT MUCH LOL.THE ONLY PROBLEMS I HAD WAS GOING TO AWAY MATCHES WITH STOKE CITY AND WITH MY TOP ON.SEEMS THAT SOME FANS DONT LIKE US.

Edited by hanibal7

First let me say i DON'T have any sort of criminal record, so, just out of interest (and in case i DO get one in the near future...see below) how fastidious are the Thai Authorities at looking at, and judging the "level of crime" commited when deciding to issue/renew a non imm o-a retirement visa. Is it just a case of seeing "something against your name" and refusing to issue one?

Reason i ask is, here in UK more and more people are getting fined and, therefore getting a criminal record for the most ridiculous things.........like dropping litter (stubbing out cigarettes by "flooring" them, then standing on them for example) or even leaving their bins out on the wrong day, or too full.

Even instances of parents being fined when their kids drop litter from their pushchairs.

Petty little things like the aforementioned might not seem a big deal, but this is happening more and more to more and more people

I would HATE to find, that, when the time comes for me to apply for a visa, i am blocked from getting it because i let my wheelie bin out too early, or some other "criminalisation" foisted on me by the powers that be here in UK

This isnt even a rant about "good old Blighty" going to the dogs, but, like i say, more a case of knowing whats what

Penkoprod

Dont worry if Thailand wont let you in I understand it was a necessity (CR) for travel to Australia not so long ago and there seems to be plenty of work and when you go inland plenty of cheap plots (not much water) so the world is your oyster so to speak.

Penkoprod

Dont worry if Thailand wont let you in I understand it was a necessity (CR) for travel to Australia not so long ago and there seems to be plenty of work and when you go inland plenty of cheap plots (not much water) so the world is your oyster so to speak.

Nice to see concise, informative and insightful information is being given by TV posters again... :o

Just in case the OP is serious which would be a bit of a worry.

A littering fine is a very long way from a criminal conviction/time in the big house - ie a serious offense that would go on your "record".

I very much doubt the Thai government would have the ability to search this sort of information, even if it were available, and even if they did give a toss.

Besides, the ability to litter is almost a requirement in Thailand.

The kind of offenses the OP is talking about are civil offenses, not criminal. You would have to be prosecuted in court for a criminal offense.

Stand to be corrected...but think a guy in the UK ended up with a criminal record due to over filling his rubbish bin...cant remember where I read it...may have been the BBC website, but seems the UK is getting out of hand with stupid laws and fines....

Penkoprod

Nice to see concise, informative and insightful information is being given by TV posters again... :o

tomkagai thank you for the words of wisdom on my post but of course you offered nil input on the OP's actual post ??

I think the comment by guava is very appropriate Quote: Just in case the OP is serious which would be a bit of a worry.

Why do I say appropriate? Ans. Who can predict how the Thai authority (read here individual) will apply a particular rule (that is of course if there is one).

The OP also adds the additional hoop by indicating "in the future". Now come on, lets get real the question in my humble opinion is the same as asking will it rain in Thailand on Wed 29th Feb 2013 (sic).

1. The offences mentioned are not civil.

They are prosecuted in the magistrate's court and you DO get a criminal record.

2. As far as I know it is only the O-A visa issued by the embassies that requires a criminal record check.

An extension of an O visa based on retirement does not require such a check, on either the first

or subsequent extensions.

1. The offences mentioned are not civil.

They are prosecuted in the magistrate's court and you DO get a criminal record.

2. As far as I know it is only the O-A visa issued by the embassies that requires a criminal record check.

An extension of an O visa based on retirement does not require such a check, on either the first

Thanks Astral for confirming what I thought, so suppose the OP has a very valid question...

As in the UK offense never come off your record, unlike the US where they can be expunged

Stand to be corrected, but think in the UK after a certain amount of time the conviction is deemed "spent"...but is still

there on the record, so would be interesting to get an opinion whether someone who was convicted under the "stupid" laws in the UK of say leaving a dust bin out, would be penalised when applying for the O-A visa issued by an embassy or are there in fact scales of "crime" which are used to determine whether someone gets the O-A Visa or not...

Would ask posters Guava and Mijan24....Would you object to have someone moving to Thailand, who had commited the heinous crime of leaving a dust bin out on the wrong day or even the more vile crime of over filling you dustbin ?...I mean someone commiting these types of offenses must be a hard core criminal, leaving the dustbins out must only be the tip of the iceberg...what about the human trafficing, and the international money laundering that people like this must be involved with... :o

Quote: "Just in case the OP is serious which would be a bit of a worry"

Edited by Tomkagai

If you can't do the time don't do the crime! Sorry just wanted to be the first dullard to throw a D-grade cliché out there :o *looks smug* *gives self pat on back*

I find this all a little hard to believe, but even if true, I still think Thai Immigration (or whoever is responsible) would draw a reasonable line here, as would other government departments in other countries. I certainly wouldn't live my life stressing about something as obscure a risk as this. Personally I would think that conviction of serious crimes involving incarceration (most certainly including white collar crime) would be a reasonable standard.

The qualifications for applicants for the Thai Elite card include:

- Not having been sentenced by a judgment to imprisonment in any countries except for an offence committed through negligence;

- Not having been adjudicated bankrupt; and

- Not having been declared as a person of unsound mind, incompetence, or quasi-incompetence.

Maybe that's not entirely relevant to this discussion, but my guess is a similar or likely lower standard would apply. I'd be a little worried about ending up on the Official Searchable Register of Declared Quasi-Incompetents though.

Also consider the reverse situation for a minute - the risk for the average Thai citizen to be wrongly convicted, coerced to sign a confession, charged/punished way beyond the extent of the punishment warranted for the offense, AND the almost certainly more stringent requirements to get a similar visa in the UK, US, or wherever. The whole "UK is going to the dogs, political correctness gone mad etc etc" argument is not quite as convincing when you broaden your perspective a little. Well not in this instance anyway.....

The Thai Embassy in London states:

nav_bullet6.png 1.3 No criminal record of the Kingdom of Thailand, the country of national and country of permanent residence as well.

Also,

nav_bullet6.png 2.6 Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.

Not sure where that leaves someone who has "spent" convictions though.

The Thai Embassy in London states:

nav_bullet6.png 1.3 No criminal record of the Kingdom of Thailand, the country of national and country of permanent residence as well.

Also,

nav_bullet6.png 2.6 Criminal Record from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard.

Not sure where that leaves someone who has "spent" convictions though.

It seems to me that the requirements between the Thai visa card and the London embassy are quite a bit different..for the same country..!!

"Not having been sentenced by a judgment to imprisonment" - this seems a resonable requirement

"No criminal Record" - based on this wouldn;t be over filling or putting the dustbins out on the wrong day... :D

The other issue with the embassy statement..."United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from the Scotland Yard"...The UK boys in blue do not issue a police clearance, its stated on the website....you can have access/issue of your records...but they will not "clear" you...Also checked this with a cousin of mine who is an inspector in the UK...and confirms the same..

"I find this all a little hard to believe"

Guava..better believe mate...the lunatics have taken over the asylum in UK..!!! :o