Hel-l Or hel_l

coventry

I'm at a loss as to why people keep writing hel_l as Hel-l on this forum ? Is it a new way of spelling the word ? We all know that Hel-l is hel_l when it's put in that context so why not just write hel_l ? We are all adults on this forum so why do we behave like children and not say it as it is ?

It's probably all down to watching Thai TV in that we know the person on the screen is drinking whiskey but it's opaqued out.

My spelling of hel_l has been automatically edited so please bear with it.

Edited by coventry

I'm at a loss as to why people keep writing hel_l as Hel-l on this forum ? Is it a new way of spelling the word ? We all know that Hel-l is hel_l when it's put in that context so why not just write hel_l ? We are all adults on this forum so why do we behave like children and not say it as it is ?

It's probably all down to watching Thai TV in that we know the person on the screen is drinking whiskey but it's opaqued out.

My spelling of hel_l has been automatically edited so please bear with it.

It's just a part of the forum filtering software that automatically amends certain words. Used to be they would be replaced with ####. I imagine enough people were typing h3ll to get around the #### that the software was adjusted.

It is a bit discriminatory though. We can type Heaven, but not hel_l. Dam, but not dam_n. We can type daleyboy, but not "shirt-lifting pillow biter". Oh wait, we can type that ! :o

We are all adults on this forum so why do we behave like children and not say it as it is ?

Whilst probably largely true it is not necessarily 100% so. Who is to say board member's sons and daughters don't occasionaly take a peek and I also do remember a BM a while back whom I am led to believe was quite young.

Besides that we adults all have different tolerance levels and different sensitivities to language and what is okay to one is offensive to another.

A little irritating it is but only in a minor way. Better that than have a free for all regarding the more colourful aspects of our communications which is liable to drive away some of the members losing some of the depth of knowledge of the forum.

I agree that the "censoring" of hel_l and dam_n is a bit patronising but it is, as Kerryd pointed out, the forum software that does it and probably just way too much trouble to try and change it. What makes it even more irritating is that the use of, say, <deleted> is accepted even though everyone know it is not a reference to French Connection UK. :o

There was another thread about this some time ago and the reason I gave was that it was because of "Google rankings". If a website has a lot of bad words - as defined by Google - then they reduce the ranking of the website. So the forum software automatically changes these bad words into something else. I'm just glad they leave "bugger" alone.

I don't know know who uses these "rankings" or why they are so important, but apparently they are.

Maybe I should Google "website rankings", but can't be buggered. :o