Singapore Tourist Visa Experience

Just got a tourist visa in Singapore. About 50% of all people applying were turned away from the counter and had to go get either a return ticket (e.g. return from Thailand -> Singapore, which I didn't have, this being a visa run to sg...), or SGD 1000 in cash. Or a bank statement showing a balance over $1000.

I think most people just got SGD 1000 in cash out to show at the embassy - easiest to do. I was lucky because the Citibank ATM just happened to print my US american bank balance, and that was good enough. Other ATMs I had used didn't print the balance for either my Thai or U.S. debit cards so I guess it's depends on whether the bank has access to that information. Of course if you have a Sg bank account or Citibank/HSBC/Standard Ch or any other of the banks that have a presence in Sg, no problem.

Feel free to delete this post if this is widely known. But I certainly didn't know about it, and most visa applicants in the Thai embassy in Sg seemed unaware too, judging by the percentage turned back. If I had gotten there a little later I would have run out of time and lost a day, change flights, book one more night in the hotel, etc. Lots of hassle.

Embassy staff very friendly of course - this is Singapore where I think good service was invented - but firm in the requirement.

That is the first time I have heard of that in Singapore so its news to me.

It may be just me but I do not think I can print my DBS balance at an ATM machine - display but not print - i will have to double check that. I can of course print out a statement online.

Below is the basic requirement for a Tourist visa issued by any Consulate; but many people are not aware of it as it is seldom asked for in home country.

Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

Just got a tourist visa in Singapore. About 50% of all people applying were turned away from the counter and had to go get either a return ticket (e.g. return from Thailand -> Singapore, which I didn't have, this being a visa run to sg...),

So, does that mean they would accept a return ticket to Singapore three months hence, for your next visa run? :o

Just got a tourist visa in Singapore. About 50% of all people applying were turned away from the counter and had to go get either a return ticket (e.g. return from Thailand -> Singapore, which I didn't have, this being a visa run to sg...),

So, does that mean they would accept a return ticket to Singapore three months hence, for your next visa run? :o

A bog normal tourist visa is just 60 days but they would definitely accept the ticket for the next visa run.

If only I had any idea what I am going to be doing a week from now, let alone in 60 days... :D

• 3 weeks later...

I was just reading about the required documents for tourist visa on the Thai Embassy in Singapore website. It states that you need one of the following:

# Company employee must prepare letter from company.

# Self-employed applicant must prepare business registration/license.

# Student must prepare guarantee letter from school/university or student card.

Since I've just graduated from Uni and am traveling before settling down to work I am officially unemployed :o Has anyone been asked to show this letter? There must be many travelers in the same boat as me...

It's no problem to show the $ and/or flight.

Cheers!

Just got a tourist visa in Singapore. About 50% of all people applying were turned away from the counter and had to go get either a return ticket (e.g. return from Thailand -> Singapore, which I didn't have, this being a visa run to sg...), or SGD 1000 in cash.

Just curious, would the equivalent Thai baht amount in cash been accepted as proof of funds, too?

Singapore is well known as a father state and regulations are extreme - this is not normally required from foreigners but Singapore is currently not the Consulate of choice for any visa activity.

Just got a tourist visa in Singapore. About 50% of all people applying were turned away from the counter and had to go get either a return ticket (e.g. return from Thailand -> Singapore, which I didn't have, this being a visa run to sg...), or SGD 1000 in cash.

Just curious, would the equivalent Thai baht amount in cash been accepted as proof of funds, too?

20,000 baht should be accepted as that is the MFA requirement for single person visa entry.

Hi,

I have just returned from the Embassey in Singapore

This is a bit strange, as the above is True, but seems to be only for certain people from certain countries

IE, the man in front of me needed to show his Ticket from Singpore to Bangkok and also the above total amount of Money, and alot of people where refused.

But with myself and another English in the Line, as soon as the person at the Desk saw we had British Passports, there was no questions asked, no need to see the flight ticket and no question of funds available!

Strange... but worked out ok for me :o

i didnt see any of that, i just got a non-imm B visa, i showed my company invitation letter, company documents, my air asia flight iteniary from bkk to sg, and back to bkk and that was it. no cash nothing.

i'm australian... so not some indian or malaysian trying to migrate to work... could be what the cash is about...

Edited by foxxx

• 1 month later...
I think I'm going to attempt to get a TV in Singapore next Monday. How long does it take for them to process the visa? 24 hours?

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Open Monday - Friday except on public holidays (Thailand and Singapore)

Office Hours of the Visa Section.

09:15am - 11:30am. (application submission only)

02:00pm - 4:30pm. (collecting only)

Minimum visa processing time (2 working days)

• 1 month later...
i just got a non-imm B visa, i showed my company invitation letter, company documents, my air asia flight iteniary from bkk to sg, and back to bkk and that was it. no cash nothing. i'm australian...

1) i'm reading the Thai Embassy in Singapore website and it says one of the required documents for a non-imm B visa is - "5. Recommendation letter from a company in Singapore (Original in the company’s letter head)". Foxxx - sounds like you didn't have or need this. Has anyone had any problems on this account?

2) Is the minimum visa processing time (2 working days) also a reliable maximum for a non-imm B visa? Can I confidently book the (required) flight iteniary so I can submit the application at 9am Monday, collect at 2pm Wednesday and make it to the airport to fly SIN-HKT at 6.30pm?

I'm a kiwi if that makes much diff. Cheers

i just got a non-imm B visa, i showed my company invitation letter, company documents, my air asia flight iteniary from bkk to sg, and back to bkk and that was it. no cash nothing. i'm australian...
1) i'm reading the Thai Embassy in Singapore website and it says one of the required documents for a non-imm B visa is - "5. Recommendation letter from a company in Singapore (Original in the company's letter head)". Foxxx - sounds like you didn't have or need this. Has anyone had any problems on this account?

2) Is the minimum visa processing time (2 working days) also a reliable maximum for a non-imm B visa? Can I confidently book the (required) flight iteniary so I can submit the application at 9am Monday, collect at 2pm Wednesday and make it to the airport to fly SIN-HKT at 6.30pm?

I'm a kiwi if that makes much diff. Cheers

Singapore looks more favorably on residents for some visa categories.

1) MFA Required documents: Ministry of Foreign Affairs - non immigrant category B visa

2) Yes

• 6 months later...

I'm Australian and went to get a Tourist Visa in Singapore today. They were giving 60 days only, "because visas are free right now ". Although I had an air ticket into the country, I was turned away by the rather irritable Malay lady at the counter because I did not have an air ticket OUT of the country. No mention was made of showing them funds. I told her I was leaving Thailand by bus or train, to Laos. She told me I could buy a bus ticket at the Golden Mile complex in Singapore, going from somewhere in Thailand to out of Thailand. However when I went there to the one company there that dealt with Thai buses, they couldn't sell me one, and said I could possibly do it online.

I bit the bullet and bought an air ticket out.

I just hope the petty, small-minded bureaucrats who occasionally condescend to give out visas there don't give me grief tomorrow when I return, or I'll have to pay MORE money to re-book my ticket into the country. GREAT way to encourage tourism in Thailand !

( WARNING, NASTY COMMENT APPROACHING ).............Or maybe just forget about it and go somewhere where people are GENUINELY nice, like Taiwan.

Two days normally means submit morning day one and return afternoon day two.