Protests Scare Tourists Away

george

Protests scare tourists away

BANGKOK: -- A huge number of tourists, particularly from Asia, have cancelled trips to Thailand in the wake of the increased political confrontation, with Malaysia issuing a travel warning yesterday and Indonesia planning a similar move.

Apichart Sankary, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), said tourists from Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia had cancelled their plans to visit due to their fear of violence. Most Asian countries are sensitive to political uncertainty and cancellations are expected to increase in the next 10 days, he added.

"Malaysia yesterday issued a travel warning about safety while visiting Bangkok, and now the Indonesian government is considering giving the same advice," said Apichart. Apichart said if political issues were not solved very soon, the Japanese market, which is the biggest market, could be hit as tour operators in Japan could offer their clients other destinations.

ATTA met its inbound operator members days ago and is still worried about the situation. The association is demanding all parties seek a solution as soon as possible. If unable to do so, the tourism industry would be damaged. "We have witnessed the pain many times, so we don't want to see it again," he said.

However, tourists from emerging countries like the Middle East and Russia are growing at a rapid rate.

ATTA also speculated that tourists from Europe as well as Australia would revise their plans to visit Thailand, which is now in the low season for Western markets.

According to Apichart, domestic travel operators are suffering because local people have stopped travelling due to concerns about the political situation as well as the higher cost of transport.

Gerd Steeb, president of Centara Hotels and Resorts, said the chain had seen bookings from individual tourists rise. But he admitted a number of people who planned to attend the 91st Lions Club International Convention in Bangkok late this month had not yet confirmed their bookings.

Other official hotels for the event have also not received confirmations from many delegates.

While the inbound market is falling, the number of domestic travellers is also expected to drop.

Maiyarat Pirayakoset, president of the Association of Domestic Travel, said local people were cancelling vacation plans because the cost of travel had increased by more than 15 per cent.

"Higher oil prices and political uncertainty are forcing people to save money and stay at home. This is not good for the travel business," said Maiyarat.

--The Nation 2008-06-03

I've changed my mind. PAD should stay! At least this scum is contributing in some way to a better life!

Are you saying that it is good that the tourists are going else where and that is good for Thailand or is it just good for you. Ridiculous!

post-35173-1212509217_thumb.jpg

Does anyone really want to see this side of the land of smile?

Cheers, Rick

It isn't just the higher cost of air fares from Europe and the US. People come to a country once and if they like it they return. Europeans are starting to realise that there are better 'exotic' places to spend their Euro's.

The Gov here is just like the small businessman, no concept of repeat business, just what can we get today.

They think it is ok that as one market gets peed off another opens but the russian market is even harder, they give no-one a second chance.

Starting to get a bit worried? Here is the solution.

Sort out the crime.

Stop trying to rip people off because they are tourist.

Give a proper 21st Century service.

Give a proper infrastructure and get of the tuk tuk mafia, they are cute in other countires, here they are a pain.

Give metered taxi's everywhere.

One price for all.

Get a reliable internet service at real world costs.

STOP THINKING THIS IS THAILAND WE ARE GREAT. It's a big world and people with money to spend know that.

It isn't just the higher cost of air fares from Europe and the US. People come to a country once and if they like it they return. Europeans are starting to realise that there are better 'exotic' places to spend their Euro's.

The Gov here is just like the small businessman, no concept of repeat business, just what can we get today.

They think it is ok that as one market gets peed off another opens but the russian market is even harder, they give no-one a second chance.

Sort out the crime.

Give a proper infrastructure and get of the tuk tuk mafia, they are cute in other countires, here they are a pain.

One price for all.

STOP THINKING THIS IS THAILAND WE ARE GREAT. It's a big world and people with money to spend know that.

I agree the violence against tourists must stop.

Cheers Rick

I wonder if Apichart was paid to to say that peaceful protests are the cause of this or maybe he's just one more incompetent official put in place for who he knows?

What about the group closely related to this very government that was responsible for planting bombs on New Year's Eve that killed and injured a few, what their own hired violent mobs that have acted on many occasions?

What about the daily violence down in Pattani, Yala, Narathiwat?

What about the extremely dangerous roads and drivers?

What about the senile Prime Minister who's a dynamite stick himself?

What about the many murders and violent acts often involving even police, rapes, kidnappings etc.

What about the tsunami still fresh in many minds?

What about the recent ranking of 2nd most corrupt country?

What about a looming global crisis on the horizon and skyrocketing fuel prices?

What about the ridiculously high death toll year after year on Songkran and year round?

What about those who get screwed the moment they set foot outside the airport?

You can't remain top tourist destination with all these things going on year after year without the tourism industry and tourists taking notice. It also seems they have no intention of correcting many of the situations mentioned above anywhere in the near future as well.

I wonder if Apichart was paid to to say that peaceful protests are the cause of this or maybe he's just one more incompetent official put in place for who he knows?

What about the group closely related to this very government that was responsible for planting bombs on New Year's Eve that killed and injured a few, what their own hired violent mobs that have acted on many occasions?

What about the many murders and violent acts often involving even police, rapes, kidnappings etc.

What about the ridiculously high death toll year after year on Songkran and year round?

You can't remain top tourist destination with all these things going on year after year without the tourism industry and tourists taking notice. It also seems they have no intention of correcting many of the situations mentioned above anywhere in the near future as well.

My opinion is no one will take notice

I've changed my mind. PAD should stay! At least this scum is contributing in some way to a better life!

Why do you keep referring to the PAD protesters as 'scum'?

I've met up with many of them over the last couple of years and have found them to be very civil and friendly towards me - a foreigner.

They're decent, law abidding citizens who care about justice and due process.

I'm sure many notice, maybe not all but some of it and never come back.

As a resident, I have noticed and am almost done packing. I can't be the only one.

Truck and house for sale. :o

Ouch! Sometimes the truth hurts.

Thailand's reputation as a sugar-coated 'land of amazing smiles' is based - in the main - on myths. Though - having said - I have found the majority of Thais to be accomodating and friendly.

Yes and no.

Japanese and Korean tourists despite living next door to the brewing psycotic killing spree in the making called North Korea put a premium upon safety and modern convenience. Vietnam has caught their fancy. Their numbers are increasing in a country that isn't even set up to welcome them. Imagine what will happen once the beach resort plans are finished.

The tourist killer for Malaysians, Europeans and North Americans is simply the cost of everything. Airfares have doubled and have achieved in a matter of months what years of crime, uncontrolled development and an absence of concern for meeting the needs of tourists over the past decade couldn't touch.

Thailand's reputation as a sugar-coated 'land of amazing smiles' is based - in the main - on myths.

So very true. As well, there are some things the typical tourist is blissfully unaware of or doesn't care about such as politics, the odd protest, corruption and lack of social responsibility. They still want the magic. Don't we all? If folks were worried about civil unrest, there would have been a mass exodus long ago, but there wasn't.

Then there are folks like the Swedes and the Norwegians, that take it as a national goal to urge the world to exercise social conscience etc.when making purchase decisions. They give some of the most moving speeches at NGO luncheons and UN agency meetings. Brings a tear to my eye when they give an emotional missive. And yet they come in droves. Of all the Europeans, the Swedes are probably the most important repeat customers and the most loyal too. (They are also the ideal tourist- responsible, fairly well behaved and big spenders.) This year will be the turning point: If the Swedish numbers fall off, it will be the cost of travel that's the culprit, not the protests, not the crime and not the social conditions.

As the government mouthpiece says, there are loads of Russians and middle easterners to replace everyone else. The question that remains unanswered is whether or not they'll respect local customs and religion, or spend as much money as the tourists they will replace. It's going to get rough over the next 2 years as the oil shortage kicks in and prices are pushed higher.

peacefull protests, a lot art, music etc etc...does not scare anyone.

Samak scared the people......

With his cooking or oratory? :o

I don't how his cooking is. Always sad when people can't do the job they would like to do and they are talented for. So due to unlucky circumstance they must work in a different job.

As a resident, I have noticed and am almost done packing. I can't be the only one.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out! Bon Voyage!

Is there a source for this, or is it just your personal ranking? The nearest thing to an "official" ranking, by Transparency International ( http://www.transparency.org/policy_researc...ndices/cpi/2007 ), places Thailand in the better half of the world's countries. That means something like 40-50 places better than e.g. Vietnam or the Philippines, about 60 places better than Indonesia and 100 better than Myanmar (Burma), just to stay within ASEAN :o

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

Sort out the crime.

One price for all.

Very well put!

Definately less value for the tourist dollar these days.

Bye! But really, all countries have issues. Thailand is 1 for toursists. Good luck on the house/ truck sale :D

It's hard to believe a relatively small, peaceful protest like this could scare away the South Koreans. They have huge street protests all the time, over everything. They recently had 40,000 people protesting over American beef imports, and it was broken up by riot police and water cannons.

I'd think the PAD protest has almost nothing to do with tourism in Thailand...regardness of tourist nationality.

BKK is so big, you could be staying almost anywhere as a tourist and have no idea anything was going on... Apart from BKK, the many many tourist folks headed for Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai, etc. could care less....

Depending on which tourism segment/nationality you're talking about, the past deals with "no alcohol sales" during election and other times probably did more to tick off some tourist folks, than any PAD activity. (I won't mention any particular nationalities here... :o )

But more realistically, the rising airfare prices probably are going to have a far more significant impact across the board... A year or two ago, I was buying US-BKK air tickets for $800 to $1000 RT, depending on the season. Later this month I'm going back to the States for a short trip, and my RT ticket cost a bit more than $1400.

When I was a tourist in the past, I was coming here 3-4 times a year. If I was still living in the U.S., the current airfare prices would certainly have made keeping that kind of frequency pretty tough.... Or, if I did still come so much, then I'd really be a Cheap Charlie on arrival! :D

I too think PAD are scum, as an organization, though in reality if tourists stay away it's more to do with the Euro 2008 footy championship.. Mostly Europeans travel in the summer holiday months, but now they have better things to do: Watch football. :o Probably in July there will be a lot more people coming in.

I too think PAD are scum, as an organization, though in reality if tourists stay away it's more to do with the Euro 2008 footy championship.. Mostly Europeans travel in the summer holiday months, but now they have better things to do: Watch football. :o Probably in July there will be a lot more people coming in.

Well, Jefferson or Wellington, whichever handle you prefer with your pro sexpat rants on another forum - if it wasn't for the PAD 'scum' as you call them, the scum calling themselves the government would get a free and clear passage to loot this country much more swiftly, besides which they're an embarrassment.

At least there is some intelligent (which you seem to know nothing about) debate going on at the moment, which there most certainly would NOT be if the PAD were not raising some very important issues. asshol_e.

Edited by tamsin

Well, Jefferson or Wellington, whichever handle you prefer with your pro sexpat rants on another forum - if it wasn't for the PAD 'scum' as you call them, the scum calling themselves the government would get a free and clear passage to loot this country much more swiftly, besides which they're an embarrassment.

At least there is some intelligent (which you seem to know nothing about) debate going on at the moment, which there most certainly would NOT be if the PAD were not raising some very important issues. asshol_e.

Name one issue that the scumbag PAD is raising that more human participants aren't discussing elsewhere?