Spark Plugs

My car is fine when I'm giving it gas but promptly dies as soon as I am not. Needless to say this is quite a headache when driving in the city since every red light, stop sign or slow down means I have to restart the ignition.

It also shakes like crazy when in neutral (but nmot when in gear) altho that may be an unrelated problem?

From my very limited knowledge of cars and past experience I suspect the constant dying is due to the spark plugs, which have not been changed for well over 2 years of heavy inter-provincial driving.

Attempts to discuss this with the local "mechanics" result in utterly blank looks.

I have tried " sa-PARK" and pictures of same with no luck.

Questions:

1) Am I right that this is a likely cause? and

2) How do you say Spark Plug in Thai??

Appreciate advice

Spark plugs along with all the othe High Tension leads coil distributor cap ect useually breakdown under load,

Sounds like it might be the carb tickover [idle speed ] might need a tweak, or the slow running jet is blocked, or the intake manifold is sucking air,

I would have these checked first, and after 2 years it woudnt hurt to replace the spark plugs,

Cheers, Lickey..

Memorise all of these, there will be a test next week.

Car รถเก๋ง Rot Gaeng

Clutch คลัช Clut

Brake เบรค Braake

Brake Pad ผ้าเบรค Pah Braake

Brake Disc จานเบรค Jaan Braake

Brake fluid น้ำมันเบรค Nam-an Braake

Brake Light ไฟเบรค Fai Braake

Windscreen กระจกหน้า Gra-Jok Nah

Rear Windscreen กระจกหลัง Gra-Jok Lang

Engine Oil น้ำมันเครื่อง Nam-an Krueng

Gearbox Oil น้ำมันเกียร์ Nam-an Gear

Power Steering Oil น้ำมันพาวเวอร์ Nam-an Power

Radiator หม้อน้ำ Mor-Naam

Radiator Fluid น้ำในหม้อน้ำ Naan Nai Mor Naam

Engine เครื่องยนต์ Krueng Yon

Steering Wheel พวงมาลัย Phum-a-Lai

Boot/Truck ท้ายรถ Tai Rot

Air Filter ฟองอากาศ Fong Aggart

Side View Mirrors กระจกข้าง Gra-Jok Kaang

Rear View Mirror กระจกมองหลัง Gra-Jok Mong Lang

Electric Windows กระจกไฟฟ้า Gra-Jok Fai Fah

Fuel Injector หัวฉีด Hua Cheet

Bonnet/Hood ฝากระโปรงหน้า Fah Gra-Bong Nah

Stereo เครื่องเสียง Krueng Seeang

Tyre ยาง Yaang

Hand Brake เบรคมือ Braake Mue

Exhaust ท่อไอเสีย Tor

Spare Tyre ยางอะไหล่ Yaang Alai

Steering Alignment ตั้งศูนย์ Dang Soon

Front Bumper กันชนหน้า Gan Chon Nah

Rear Bumper กันชนหลัง Gan Chon Lang

Distributor จานจ่าย Jarn Jai

Spark Plugs หัวเทียน Hua Ti-en

Shock Absorber โชคอัพ Chock-Up

Seat Belt เข็มขัด Kem Kat

Timing Belt สายพานไทม์มิ่ง Sy Paan Timing

CV Boot ยางหุ้มเพรา Yang Hum Pow

Suspension Spring สปริง S-Pring

Leaf Spring แหนบ Nairb

Rear Light ไฟหลัง Fai Lang

Reverse Light ไฟถอยหลัง Fai Toi Lang

Head Light ไฟหน้า Fai Naa

Indicator/Turn Light ไฟเลี้ยว Fai Leeo

Differential ไฟท้าย Fuang Tai

Horn แตร Dae

Wipers Blades ที่ปัดน้ำฝน Tee Bat Naam Fon

Oil Filter กรองอากาศ Glong Naam-an

yes "hua tien" aka "head candle" is correct for "spark plug."

As another poster mentioned, Sheryl, I would check the idle speed controller (or whatever derivative of such your car has -- older cars as mentioned above may have to adjust the "carb tickover" but newer cars may just need a shot of Sonax through the idle speed controller.

Does your car have a rough idle (do the rpms fluctuate up and down when at idle)? Does it idle roughly and then stall at the low point? If so, I don't think it's a problem with the spark plugs, but rather a form of idle problem or distributor problem (if you have an older car).

Maybe we could better help you out if you gave us more info on the car.

apetly: there is one part not on your list that I had a hel_l of a time explaining to my mechanic what it was: control arm aka "peek nok." It took some time to get from McPherson strut which he knew to saying "ok, not McPherson" to me drawing a wishbone x 2 , using my fingers on top of one another and moving up and down and saying "race car suspension" and then finally pointing out the part on the lift. "Peek nok" haha...

I had a similar problem on my old mini in Australia. It was to do with the electic fuel pump and poor wiring to the pump. I found this problem on the start to a 300km round trip and had to keep giving in the gas at speeds up to 120 km/h. Everytime I was just cruising it would starve and would have to pump the pedal a bit. A few new wires and it was put right. What car do you have? It's hard to give advice without more information.

I had a similar problem on my old mini in Australia. It was to do with the electic fuel pump and poor wiring to the pump. I found this problem on the start to a 300km round trip and had to keep giving in the gas at speeds up to 120 km/h. Everytime I was just cruising it would starve and would have to pump the pedal a bit. A few new wires and it was put right. What car do you have? It's hard to give advice without more information.

Need to know what car, model, than maybe can help

It's a Sunny Nissan, manual transmission, very old (late 1980's I think).

And indeed, trouble was not due to the spark plugs as the two magic syllables "hua tien" did indeed achieve their replacement and the problem persists.

It makes a huge racket and shudders when in neutral. No problem when in gear.

As soon as not getting gas, regardless of whether in gear or in neutral, it dies and I have to turn the key to re-start it. As long as it's getting gas, it's fine. A little slow latley in starting up, too, but it does start.

Teej...your terminaology is a bit hard for me to follow but I think the "idle roughly and then stall at the low point" is probably the one. If by RPMs you mean the speedometer, that's at 0 when in neutral (or dropping to zero if I am just slowing down). It will hoever die even short of having come to a stop, for example when I stop giving gas and break to slow down on a sharp curve, it dies on me. Basically as soon as my foot is off the gas pedal for more than a second.

Apetley, many thanks for the vocab -- sorely needed -- can you add to it:

carb tickover

slow running jet

intake manifold

In case any of those are indeed the cause. I have to admit I am clueless as to what any of those three even are, let alone how to say them in Thai.

I live just close enough to Bangkok that every mechanic with half a brain has gone off to work there and just far enough away to have to rely on local repair shops. The quality of which defies description save to say that even I know more than they seem to, and like most women, I know next to nothing about cars.

Very nice list! :o

I was thinking about the following adjustments after a quick read through:

Sedan Car รถเก๋ง Rot Gaeng

Steering Wheel พวงมาลัย Phuang-Ma-Lai

Exhaust ท่อไอเสีย Tor-Ai-Sia

Differential เฟืองท้าย Fuang Tai

Oil Filter กรองน้ำมันเครื่อง Grong-Naam-Man-Kruang

Forgive me if i'm wrong! :D

/Hans

Sorry Sheryl for not clarifying. By RPMs (revolutions per minute) I meant the other dial on your dashboard right next to the speedometer. It shows how much you are "revving" (as you press harder on the accelerator, this dial will indicate a higher number). So at idle, it should be around 800 (usually the numbers shown are 1 through probably 6 (with writing somewhere that says "x1000").

So at idle, the needle should be below "1" or at least close to it. If this needle is dropping below, say 500, and coming up again, then dropping, this could be considered a "rough idle".

I suspect that the huge racket and shuddering while in Neutral is followed by the engine dying? That is because as the car idles too low, it struggles to stay on, but for some reason (the problem we are looking for) it can't and then dies. A dangerous condition especially considering that you mention it dies if you're not giving it gas on a turn -- bad situation.

Maybe another member can pinpoint what mechanism controls the idle speed in that particular vehicular make and model. However, I suspect (hope) that it's just an idle problem (which shouldn't be too costly to fix -- unless you have a SAAB :o )

Whereabouts do you live? Maybe another member can recommend a garage in your area, as it's a problem you need to get fixed asap.

I think any fairly competent mechanic should be able to sort it out for you.

Last resort: ask a Taxi driver who drives a similar make and model. I've seen some Nissan Sunny taxis. Maybe they could point you in the right direction.

Could be something wrong with sensors like oxygen sensors, etc. but I still think it's an idle control issue. If so, it should not cost you more than a couple of thousand THB to resolve.

Maybe another member can offer better advice than I can, as we have some pretty good knowledgeable members on this board and I'm no mechanic.

Good Luck :D

I know it's as easy to say as it's difficult to find, but i think you have to find someone who understands cars to have a look at your car. Otherwise i think you might end up replacing parts more or less forever... :o

Your problem might actually be corrected very easily and with very few tools and parts provided that you've found the right person. I know a guy like that in Chonburi, but maybe that would be too far?

/Hans

It's a Sunny Nissan, manual transmission, very old (late 1980's I think).

And indeed, trouble was not due to the spark plugs as the two magic syllables "hua tien" did indeed achieve their replacement and the problem persists.

It makes a huge racket and shudders when in neutral. No problem when in gear.

As soon as not getting gas, regardless of whether in gear or in neutral, it dies and I have to turn the key to re-start it. As long as it's getting gas, it's fine. A little slow latley in starting up, too, but it does start.

Teej...your terminaology is a bit hard for me to follow but I think the "idle roughly and then stall at the low point" is probably the one. If by RPMs you mean the speedometer, that's at 0 when in neutral (or dropping to zero if I am just slowing down). It will hoever die even short of having come to a stop, for example when I stop giving gas and break to slow down on a sharp curve, it dies on me. Basically as soon as my foot is off the gas pedal for more than a second.

Apetley, many thanks for the vocab -- sorely needed -- can you add to it:

carb tickover

slow running jet

intake manifold

In case any of those are indeed the cause. I have to admit I am clueless as to what any of those three even are, let alone how to say them in Thai.

I live just close enough to Bangkok that every mechanic with half a brain has gone off to work there and just far enough away to have to rely on local repair shops. The quality of which defies description save to say that even I know more than they seem to, and like most women, I know next to nothing about cars.

Sheryl, are you dipping the clutch and keeping it down allowing the engine to die on sharp curves ect? dip the clutch, change gear if you need and let the clutch up to keep the engine spinning and responsive.also if you know yove got to stop, select neutral, brake with your left foot and feather the throttle gently to keep the engine running,

The latter is a GET YOU HOME GIMMICK till you can get it repaired.

Or remove the air filter or pipe whatever is on top of the carburettor, get somebody to operate the acelerator and watch the movments at the carb, you should see a screw with a spring on it moving with the linkage, this is the tickover screw or engine idle speed screw, turn this clockwise half turn then start engine, if its ok, good, but if not turn in a little more, if you have to go over 12/1300 RPM the problem is inside carb.

Does your car have a manual choke? [probaly not} but if it does, this has the same action of raising the idle speed, to cope with the extra fuel, try pulling it out a bit then go for a run.

If this all a bit beyond you, perhaps print it off and show a falang friend,

Good luck, Lickey..

/Hans

Beat me to it :D

The final one in the full list should actually (from the Thai name) read:

Air Filter กรองอากาศ Grong Ahgaht

G

On a Nissan I owned I had nearly identical problems which turned out to be a loose plug on the side of the carburetor. The plug was part of the heat sensing system for the auto choke.

Take a look on the side of your carburetor and see if there’s an electrical plug and that it’s pushed in firm. I also found the female connectors inside the plug were loose and needed a slight squeeze for them to make contact correctly.

If that doesn’t fix the problem I’ve added some information from the Haynes 1980 thru 1991 Nissan Pickups Automotive Repair Manual that may be of help.

Troubleshooting

Engine stalls

1. Idle speed incorrect

2. Fuel filter clogged and/or water and impurities in the fuel system

3. Choke not operating properly

4. Damaged or wet distributor cap and wires

5. Emissions system components faulty

6. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs. Also check the spark plug wires

7. Vacuum leak at the carburetor, intake manifold or vacuum hoses

8. Valve clearances incorrect

This is a shortened version of the Nissan Service Manual diagnostic procedure for 1990 models.

Engine stall after deceleration

1. Check A.A.C. valve

2. Check idle adjusting screw clogging

3. Perform power balance check

4. Check ignition spark

5. Check fuel pressure

6. Check harness connections

Hope this helps

this might help with translations of engine parts into thai.

ส่วนประกอบของเครื่องยนต์

อ.เจษฎา ตัณฑเศรษฐี

บทความนี้ได้คัดลอกมาเฉพาะบางส่วนมาพอเป็นน้ำจิ้ม จากหนังสือ Internal Combustion Engine ฉบับภาษาไทยโดย อ.เจษฎา ตัณฑเศรษฐี ทาง GME เห็นว่ามีประโยชน์มาก ซึ่งปกติเรื่องราวแบบนี้ หาอ่านยากและจะมีเป็นตำราก็เฉพาะคนที่เรียนวิศวกรเครื่องกลและส่วนมากก็จะมีแต่เป็นภาษาอังกฤษเท่านั้น และไม่สามารถนำเสนอได้ทั้งหมดจึงนำมาเป็นตัวอย่างได้เฉพาะบางส่วน หากมีความสนใจอยากหาอ่านเพิ่มเติมเพื่อความรู้ความเข้าใจในเรื่องของทฤษฎีเครื่องยนต์สันดาปภายใน ก็ต้องเป็นหนังสือเล่มนี้ขอขอบคุณที่สนใจและหากต้องการอ่านมากๆกว่านี้ ท่านสามารถหาซื้อเป็นเจ้าของได้ที่ Se-ad ทุกสาขานะครับไม่ผิดหวัง

GMC-LPG/CNG Power

1 ธันวาคม 2549

ส่วนประกอบของเครื่องยนต์ (ENGINE COMPONENTS)

รายการส่วนประกอบที่สำคัญของเครื่องยนต์สันดาปภายในแบบลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่สลับทิศ มีดังต่อไปนี้ (ดูภาพประกอบ 1-15)เสื้อสูบ (Block) ทำจากเหล็กหล่อหรืออลูมิเนียม มีกระบอกสูบเป็นส่วนประกอบ ในเครื่องยนต์แบบเก่าบางรุ่นจะมีลิ้นและช่องลิ้นอยู่ในเสื้อสูบด้วย เสื้อสูบของเครื่องยนต์ระบายความร้อนด้วยน้ำจะมีโพรงน้ำหล่อเย็นอยู่รอบกระบอกสูบ ส่วนเครื่องยนต์ระบายความร้อนด้วยอากาศ จะมีครีบระบายความร้อนเพลาลูกเบี้ยว (Camshaft) เพลาซึ่งหมุนและกดลิ้นให้เปิดตามจังหวะทำงานของเครื่องยนต์ อาจกดโดยตรง หรือผ่านกลไก หรือผ่านกลไก หรือกลไกไฮดรอลิคก็ได้ (ก้านกระทุ้ง กระเดื่อง

image002.jpg

รูปที่ 1-15 ภาพตัดตามขวางของเครื่องยนต์จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ สี่จังหวะ A) เรือนเครื่องยนต์ ( เพลาลูกเบี้ยว © ห้องเผาไหม้ (D) ก้านสูบ (E) ห้องข้อเหวี่ยง (F) เพลาข้อเหวี่ยง (G) กระบอกสูบ (H) ท่อร่วมไอเสีย (I) ฝาสูบ (J) ท่อร่วมไอดี (K) อ่างน้ำมันเครื่อง (L) ลูกสูบ (M) แหนลูกสูบ (N) ก้านกระทุ้ง (O) หัวเทียน (P) ลิ้น, (Q) โพรงสารหล่อเย็น

ลิ้นผีเสื้อที่ต้นทางของท่อร่วมไอดี เครื่องยนต์เบนซินรุ่นใหม่บางรุ่น ให้หัวฉีดฉีดเชื้อเพลิงเข้าสู่ห้องเผาไหม้โดยตรง

ปั๊มเชื้อเพลิง (Fuel pump) สูบเชื้อเพลิงจากถังเชื้อเพลิงให้แก่เครื่องยนต์ มีทั้งแบบกลไกและแบใช้ไฟฟ้า ในรถยนต์รุ่นใหม่ส่วนมาก ใช้ปั๊มเชื้อเพลิงไฟฟ้าแช่อยู่ในถังเชื้อเพลิง เครื่องยนต์เล็กบางรุ่นและรถยนต์ยุคแรก ไม่มีปั๊มเชื้อเพลิงน้ำมันจะถูกป้อนให้แก่เครื่องยนต์โดยอาศัยแรงโน้มถ่วง

หัวเผา (Glow plug) อุปกรณ์ทำความร้อนด้วยความต้านทานกระแสไฟฟ้า สำหรับทำให้ห้องเผาไหม้ร้อนขณะติดเครื่องเย็นหัวเผาจะหยุดทำงานเมื่อเครื่องยนต์ติดแล้ว

ฝาสูบ (Head) ชิ้นส่วนที่ปิดด้านบนของกระบอกสูบ เป็นที่บรรจุปริมาตรอัดส่วนหนึ่งของห้องเผาไหม้ ทำจาเหล็กหล่อหรืออลูมิเนียม แล้วขันยึดกับเสื้อสูบ เครื่องยนต์บางแบใช้ฝาสูบเป็นชิ้นเดียวกับเสื้อสูบฝาสูบของเครื่องยนต์เบนซินจะติดตั้งหัวเทียนส่วนฝาสูบของเครื่องยนต์ดีเซลและเครื่องยนต์เบนซินยุคนี้จะติดตั้งหัวฉีดส่วนใหญ่จะมีวาล์ว และบางรุ่นจะมีเพลาลูกเบี้ยวอยู่ด้วย (OHV และ OHC)

ประเก็นฝาสูบ (Head gasket) ทำหน้าที่ป้องกันการรั่วซึม ระหว่างเสื้อสูบและฝาสูบซึ่งถูกขันยึดติดกัน โครงสร้างของประเก็นเป็นวัสดุแตกต่างกัน เช่นโลหะ และวัสดุผสมเครื่องยนต์บางรุ่นอาจใช้ประเก็นเหลวก็ได้

ท่อร่วมไอดี (Intake manifold) ระบบท่อสำหรับป้อนอากาศเข้าสู่กระบอกสูบ ทำจากโลหะหล่อ พลาสติก หรือวัสดุผสม ในเครื่องยนต์เบนซินเชื้อเพลิงจะถูกป้อนให้ผสมกับอากาศในท่อไอดีด้วยหัวฉีดหรือม็คาร์บิวเรเตอร์ ท่อไอดีบางแบบจะถูกอุ่น เพื่อช่วยให้เชื้อเพลิงระเหยได้ดี ส่วนของท่อร่วมไอดีที่แยกเข้าสู่แต่ละสูบ เราเรียกว่า "ท่อแยก" (runner)

แบริ่งหลัก (Main bearing) แบริ่งหลักอยู่ติดกับเสื้อสูบส่วนที่รองรับเพลาข้อเหวี่ยงจำนวนแบริ่งหลักจะไม่เกินจำนวนสูบบวกด้วยหนึ่ง หรือไม่เกิน จำนวนที่อยู่ระหว่างก้านสูบบวกด้วยสองที่ปลายทั้งสองด้านนั้นเอง ในเครื่องยนต์ที่ให้กำลังน้อยหรือไม่เน้นคุณภาพ จำนวนแบริ่งหลักจะน้อยกว่าจำนวนสูงสุดดังกล่าว

อ่างน้ำมันเครื่อง (Oil pan) ภาชนะบรรจุนำมันเครื่อง ยึดติดกับด้านล่างของเสื้อสูบเป็นส่วนหนึ่งของห้องข้อเหวี่ยงทำหน้าที่เป็นอ่างรองรับน้ำมันเครื่องในเครื่องยนต์ทั่วไป

ปั๊มน้ำมันเครื่อง (Oil pump) ปั๊มสำหรับสูบน้ำมันเครื่องไปยังจุดต่างๆ ที่ต้องการการหล่อลื่น ใช้โซ่หรือฟันเฟืองขับเคลื่อนโดยกำลังของเครื่องยนต์ หรืออาจใช้มอเตอร์ขับเคลื่อนในรุ่นพิเศษบางรุ่น เครื่องยนต์เล็กบางรุ่น อาจไม่มีปั๊มน้ำมันเครื่อง เพราะใช้หล่อลื่นโดยอาศัยฝอยละอองน้ำมันสาดใส่

อ่างเก็บน้ำมันเครื่อง (Oil sump) ภาชนะเก็บกักน้ำมันเครื่องสำหรับระบบหล่อลื่นเครื่องยนต์ มักเป็นส่วนหนึ่งของห้องข้อเหวี่ยง ยกเว้นเครื่องยนต์เครื่องบิน รถสปอร์ทบางรุ่น รถแข่ง ที่มีภาชนะเก็บน้ำมันเครื่องต่างหาก น้ำมันเครื่องที่ไหลกลับสู่อ่างจะถูกดูดไปเก็บในภาชนะนี้ตลอดเวลา จึงมีอ่างน้ำมันเครื่องแบนเรียบ เรียกกันว่า

"แบบอ่างแห้ง" (dry sump)

ลูกสูบ (Piston) มวลโลหะทรงกระบอกซึ่งเคลื่อนที่ไปมาในกระบอกสูบ ทำหน้าที่แปลงความดันกาซในห้องเผาไหม้เป็นแรงบิดของเพลาข้อเหวี่ยง ส่วนบนเหนือสลักลูกสูบเรียกกันว่า "หัวลูกสูบ" (piston crown) ส่วนล่างใต้สลักลูกสูบ เรียกว่า "กระโปรง ลูกสูบ หรือ ชายลูกสูบ" (piston skirt) ด้านบนของหัวลูกสูบ ทำหน้าที่เป็นผนังด้านหนึ่งของห้องเผาไหม้ อาจเรียบหรือเป็นทรงนูนเว้าก็ได้ บางรุ่นอาจเป็นหลุมทำหน้าที่ห้องเผาไหม้เกือบทั้งหมด เนื้อลูกสูบทำจากเหล็กหล่อ เหล็กกล้า หรืออลูมิเนียม ลูกสูบเหล็กหล่อและเหล็กกล้า อาจมีส่วนแหลมหรือบางได้ เพราะความแข็งแรงของวัสดุรวมทั้งมีสัมประสิทธิ์การขยายตัวต่ำ ทำให้ใช้พิกัดเผื่อแบบกระชับกับกระบอกสูบได้ส่วนลูกสูบอลูมิเนียมจะเบาและมีแรงเฉื่อยน้อยลูกสูบบางแบบอาจใช้โลหะเฉพาะส่วนหัวและใช้ส่วนอื่นทำจากโลหะผสม บางแบบอาจใช้เซรามิคทนความร้อนสูง ฉาบผิวหัวลูกสูบ

แหวนลูกสูบ (Piston rings) แหวนโลหะสวมในร่องรอบลูกสูบ ส่วนนอกเคลื่อนที่เสียดสีกับผนังกระบอกสูบ ส่วนบนสุดอย่างน้อยสองวง เป็นแหวนอัด (compression rings) ทำจากเหล็กชุบโครเมียมแข็งขัดมัน ทำหน้าที่ป้องกันกาซในห้องเผาไหม้ รั่วผ่านลงสู่ห้องข้อเหวี่ยง ใต้แหวนอัดเป็นแหวนกวาดน้ำมัน (oil ring) อย่างน้อยหนึ่งวงทำหน้าที่หล่อลื่นผนังกระบอกสูบและกวาดน้ำมันเครื่องกลับลงสู่อ่างน้ำมันเครื่องเพื่อลดความสิ้นเปลืองน้ำมันเครื่อง

ก้านกระทุ้ง (Push rods) ก้านต่อกลไกระหว่างเพลาลูกเบี้ยวและลิ้น ในเครื่องยนต์ลิ้นในฝาสูบ ที่มีเพลาลูกเบี้ยวอยู่ในเสื้อสูบ ก้านสูบส่วนใหญ่จะมีรูกลวง ให้น้ำมันเครื่องไหลไปหล่อลื่นกระเดื่องลิ้น

หม้อน้ำ (Radiator) อุปกรณ์ระบายความร้อนจากของเหลวสู่อากาศ โครงสร้างแบบรังผึ้งระบายความร้องจากน้ำหล่อเย็นสู่อากาศภายนอกหม้อน้ำของรถส่วนใหญ่ จะอยู่ด้านหน้าเพื่อรับลมปะทะโดยทั่วไปจะมีพัดลมช่วยเพิ่มอัตราไหลของอากาศผ่านหม้อน้ำหัวเทียน (Spark plug) อุปกรณ์ไฟฟ้าใช้กระตุ้นให้เกิดการสันดาปในเครื่องยนต์เบนซินโดยประกายไฟจากการคายประจุไฟฟ้าแรงเคลื่อนสูงที่เขี้ยวหัวเทียน ทำจากโลหะหุ้มด้วยฉนวนเซรามิคหัวเทียนรุ่นใหม่บางรุ่น มีเซนเซอร์วัดความดันอยู่ในตัว เพื่อส่งข้อมูลให้แก่ระบบบริหารเครื่องยนต์

อุปกรณ์คงความเร็วรถ (Cruise control, Speed control) อุปกรณ์อัตโนมัติระบบไฟฟ้าผสมกลไกใช้รักษาความเร็วรถให้คงที่ โดยการควบคุมความเร็วรอบของเครื่องยนต์

อุปกรณ์ติดเครื่อง (Srarter) มีวิธีติดเครื่องยนต์สันดาปภายในหลายวิธีด้วยกัน ส่วนใหญ่แล้วใช้มอเตอร์ไฟฟ้าหมุนฟลายวีลด้วยฟันเฟือง โดยใช้พลังงานจากแบทเตอรี่สำหรับเครื่องยนต์ขนาดใหญ่มากเช่นที่ใช้ในรถแทรคเตอร์และอุปกรณ์สำหรับงานก่อสร้างมอเตร์ไฟฟ้ามีกำลังไม่พอ จึงต้องใช้เครื่องยนต์เล็กเป็นอุปกรณ์ติดเครื่องโดยใช้มอเตอร์ไฟฟ้าหมุนเครื่องยนต์เล็กจนติด แล้วจึงใช้เครื่องยนต์เล็กขับฟลายวีลของเครื่องยนต์ใหญ่อีกต่อหนึ่ง

เครื่องยนต์ของเครื่องบินยุคก่อน มักถูกสตาร์ทโดยการใช้มือหมุนใบพัดซึ่งทำหน้าที่แทนฟลายวีลไปในตัวส่วนการติดเครื่องยนต์เล็กส่วนใหญ่ใช้เชือกพันพุลลีย์ของเพลาข้อเหวี่ยงแล้วดึงให้หมุนอย่างเร็ว

เครื่องยนต์ขนาดใหญ่บางรุ่น มีระบบอัดอากาศสำหรับสตาร์ทเครื่องยนต์ โดยเปิดลิ้นในจังหวะอัดให้อ้าไว้ให้อากาศความดันสูง ดันลูกสูบให้อากาศความดันสูง ดันลูกสูบให้เครื่องยนต์หมุนฟรีจนมีแรงเฉื่อยเพียงพอแล้วจึงให้ลิ้นทำงานตามปกติเพื่อให้เครื่องยนต์ติด

ตัวอัดบรรจุอากาศ (Supercharger) เครื่องอัดอากาศ ซึ่งใช้กำลังของเครื่องยนต์ขับให้หมุนด้วยสายพาน โซ่ หรือฟันเฟือง เพื่ออัดเพิ่มความดันของอากาศที่เข้าสู่เครื่องยนต์โดยไม่ต้องเพิ่มความจุของเครื่องยนต์

ลิ้นผีเสื้อ (Throttle) ลิ้นควบคุมอัตราไหลของอากาศที่เข้าสู่เครื่องยนต์เบนซิน ติดตั้งอยู่ต้นทางของท่อร่วมไอดี เครื่องยนต์เล็กและเครื่องยนต์ต้นกำลังสถิตย์ที่ใช้ความเร็วรอบคงที่บางรุ่น ไม่ใช้ลิ้นปีกผีเสื้อ

เทอร์โบชาร์เจอร์ (Turbocharger) อุปกรณ์อัดอากาศแบบกังหัน ใช้พลังงานของไอเสียขับกังหันให้หมุนด้วยความเร็วสูง ใบพัดอีกชุดที่ติดอยู่อีกด้านของเพลาเดียวกันจะดูดอากาศแล้วอัดเพิ่มความดัน แล้วป้อนให้เครื่องยนต์เพื่อเพิ่มกำลัง

วาล์ว (Valves) หรือลิ้น เปิให้กาซเข้าสู่และออกจากกระบอกสูบตามจังหวะการทำงานของเครื่องยนต์ เครื่องยนต์ส่วนใหญ่ใช้ลิ้นดอกเห็ด (poppet valves) ซึ่งปิดด้วยแรงสปริงและเปิดด้วยกลไกลูกเบี้ยว ทำจากเหล็กกล้า ส่วนที่ลิ้นสัมผัสขณะปิดเรียกว่า "บ่าลิ้น" (valve seats) ทำจากเหล็กกล้า อบชุบแข็งหรือเซรามิค เครื่องยนต์บางรุ่นใช้ลิ้นหมุน หรือลิ้นโรทารี่ มีทั้งแบบจานและแบบกระบอก ส่วนเครื่องยนต์สองจังหวะใช้ช่อง (posts) ที่ผนังกระบอกสูบ แทนลิ้นแบบกลไก

ช่องน้ำเสื้อสูบ (Water jacket) ระบบทางเดินน้ำหล่อเย็นรอบกระบอกสูบ ถูกออกแบบเป็นส่วนหนึ่งของเสื้อสูบและฝาสูบ สารหล่อเย็นจะไหลผ่านช่องน้ำเสื้อสูบ เพื่อป้องกันกระบอกสูบร้อนจัด โดยทั่วไปจะใช้เอธีลีน ไกลคอล ผสมน้ำเป็นสารหล่อเย็นเพื่อป้องกันสนิมและป้องกันการแข็งตัวของน้ำ (ในประเทศเขตหนาว)

ป๊มน้ำ (Water pupm) สูบและส่งน้ำหล่อเย็น ให้หมุนเวียนผ่านเครื่องยนต์ และหม้อน้ำโดยใช้กำลังจากเครื่องยนต์

สลักลูกสูบ (Wrist pin หรือ Piston pin) สลักยึดก้านสูบกับลูกสูบ

1-6 วัฎจักรพื้นฐานของเครื่องยนต์

เครื่องยนต์สันดาปภายในเกือบทั้งหมด ทั้งแบบจุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ และแบบจุดระเบิดด้วยการอัดล้วนทำงานด้วยวัฎจักรอย่างใดอย่างหนึ่ง คือวัฎจักรสี่จังหวะ หรือวัฎจักรสองจังหวะ ยกเว้นเฉพาะบางแบบที่มีการออแบบเป็นพิเศษ เฉพาะตัวเท่านั้น

วัฎจักรเครื่องยนต์สี่จังหวะจุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ (เครื่องยนต์เบนซิน)

1. จังหวะแรก: จังหวะดูด (Intake Stroke) ลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่จากศูนย์ตายบนไปยังศูนย์ตายล่าง ขณะที่ลิ้นไอดีเปิดและลิ้นไอเสียปิด เป็นการขยายปริมาตรของห้องเผาไหม้และทำให้เกิดความดันต่ำกว่าบรรยากาศ อากาศภายนอกจึงถูกดันไหลเข้าสู่กระบอกสูบเชื้อเพลิงจากหัวฉีด หรือคาร์บิวเรเตอร์จะถูกผสมกับอากาศ ในอัตราส่วนที่เหมาะสมต่อการเผาไหม้

2. จังหวะที่สอง : จังหวะอัด (Compression Stroke) ลิ้นไอดีปิดเมื่อลูกสูบถึงศูนย์ตายล่าง ลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่กลับไปยังศูนย์ตายบน ในขณะที่ลิ้นทุกตัวปิด ไอดีจะถูกลดปริมาตรทั้งความดันและอุณหภูมิ จะสูงขึ้น เนื่องจากลิ้นไอดีไม่สามารถปิด ได้ทันที เพราะฉะนั้นการอัดไอดีจะเริ่มเมื่อลิ้นไอดีปิดสนิทหลังศูนย์ตายล่าง และเมื่อลูกสูบเคลื่อน ที่เกือบถึงศูนย์ตายบนหัวเทียนจะปล่อยประกายไฟเพื่อกระตุ้นให้เกิดการเผาไหม้

3. การเผาไหม้ การเผาไหม้ของไอดี (ส่วนผสมระหว่างเชื้อเพลิงและอากาศ) เกิด ขึ้นในช่วงเวลาสั้นมากก่อนลูกสูบถึงศูนย์ตายเล็กน้อย เป็นการเผาไหม้ในห้องเผาไหม้ปริมาตรค่อนข้างคงที่ และสิ้นสุดเมื่อลูกสูบผ่านศูนย์ตายบนไปเล็กน้อย การเผาไหม้เปลี่ยนแปลงส่วนประกอบของกาซให้กลายเป็นไอเสีย พร้อมกับเพิ่มอุณหภูมิของการให้สูงขึ้นมาก ทำให้ความดันของกาซในห้องเผาไหม้สูงมากตามไปด้วย

4. จังหวะที่สาม : จังหวะกำลัง หรือจังหวะขยายตัว (Power Stroke หรือ Expansion Stroke) ขณะที่ลิ้นทุกตัวปิด กาซความดันสูงให้ห้องเผาไหม้ จะดันลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่ลงจากศูนย์ตายล่าง เป็นจังหวะที่เครื่องยนต์ให้กำลังและงาน การขยายตัวของห้องเผาไหม้ ทำให้ความดันและอุณหภูมิลดลง

5. การระบายไอเสีย ช่วงท้ายของจังหวะกำลังลิ้นไอเสียจะเปิดเพื่อระบายไอ เสีย ความดันและอุณหภูมิของไอเสียในกระบอกสูบ ยังสูงมากอยู่เมื่อเทียบกับบรรยากาศภายนอกกระบอกสูบ ทำให้ไอเสียส่วนใหญ่ถูกคายออกจากกระบอกสูบตั้งแต่ลูกสูบยังไม่ถึง

image004.jpg

รูปที่ 1-16 วัฎจักรทำงานของเครื่องยนต์สี่จังหวะ จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ (a) จังหวะดูด อากาศและเชื้อเพลิงถูกดูดในขณะที่ลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่จากศูนย์ตายบนไปยังศูนย์ตายล่าง ( จังหวะอัด © การสันดาปขณะปริมาตรค่อนข้างคงที่ ใกล้ศูนย์ตายบน (d) จังหวะทำงานหรือจังหวะขยายตัว (e) ไอเสียถูกระบายเมื่อลิ้นเปิดในช่วงปลายของจังหวะทำงาน (f) จังหวะคายไอเสีย ไอเสียถูกไล่ออกจากปลายกระบอกสูบ ขณะลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่จากศูนย์ตายล่างไปยังศูนย์ตายล่างไปยังศูนย์ตายบน

ศูนย์ตายล่าง เป็นไอเสียที่ยังมีปริมาณแอนธาลพีอยู่สูงทำให้ประสิทธิภาพของวัฎจักรลดลงการเปิดลิ้นไอเสียก่อนลูกสูบถึงศูนย์ล่าง ทำให้งานที่เครื่องยนต์ลดน้อยลง แต่เป็นความจำเป็น เพราะการระบายไอเสียออกต้องใช้เวลา

6. จังหวะที่สี่: จังหวะคายไอเสีย (Eshaust Stroke) ขณะที่ลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่ถึงศูนย์ตายล่าง ในกระบอกสูบยังเต็มไปด้วยไอเสียความดันต่ำ ใกล้เคียงกับความดันบรรยากาศลูกสูบเคลื่อนตัวขึ้นจากศูนย์ตายล่างในขณะที่ลิ้น

ไอเสียยังเปิดอยู่ ไอเสียจะถูกไล่ออกจากกระบอกสูบ จนเหลือตกค้างเพียงปริมาตรอัด (clearance volume) เมื่อลูกสูบจากกระบอกสูบ จนเหลือตกค้างเพียงปริมาตรอัด (clearance volume) เมื่อลูกสูบถึงศูนย์ตายบน ก่อนลูกสูบจะถึงศูนย์ตายบนลิ้นไอดีจะเริ่มเปิด และเปิดสุดที่หลังศูนย์ตายบน เป็นการเริ่มต้นจังหวะแรกของวัฎจักรต่อไป ส่วนลิ้นไอเสียจะเริ่มปิดก่อนศูนย์ตายบน และปิดสนิทหลังศูนย์ตายบนเล็กน้อย ช่วงก่อนและหลังศูนย์ตายบนเล็กน้อยในช่วงสุดท้ายของจังหวะคายไอเสีย และช่วงเริ่มต้นของจังหวะดูด จึงเป็นช่วงที่ลิ้นไอดีและไอเสียเปิดอยู่ด้วยกัน เราเรียกช่วงนี้ว่า มุมลิ้นซ้อนเหลื่อม (valve overlap)

วัฎจักรเครื่องยนต์สี่จังหวะจุดระเบิดด้วยการอัด (เครื่องยนต์ดีเซล)

1. จังหวะแรก : จังหวะดูด เช่นเดียวกับเครื่องยนต์จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟยกเว้นตรงที่เป็นการดูดแต่อากาศเท่านั้น ไม่มีการผสมเชื้อเพลิง

2. จังหวะที่สอง : จังหวะอัดเช่นเดียวกับเครื่องยนต์จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ แต่เป็นการอัดที่ความดัน และอุณหภูมิสูงกว่า ในช่วงสุดท้ายของจังหวะนี้ เชื้อเพลิงจะถูกฉีดเป็นฝอยตรงเข้าห้องเผาไหม้ และผสมกับอากาศร้อนจัด เชื้อเพลิง จะถูกฉีดเป็นฝอยตรงเข้าห้องเผาไหม้ และผสมกับความร้อนจัด เชื้อเพลิงจะระเหยอย่างรวดเร็ว และลุกไหม้ขึ้นเอง เป็นการเริ่มต้นการเผาไหม้

3. การเผาไหม้ การเผาไหม้เกิดขึ้นเต็มที่ที่ศูนย์ตายบน เป็นการเผาไหม้ที่ความดันคงที่อย่างต่อเนื่อง จนกระทั่งสิ้นสุดการฉีดเชื้อเพลิง และลูกสูบเริ่มเคลื่อนที่ลงสู่ศูนย์ตายล่าง

4. จังหวะที่สาม : จังหวะกำลัง เริ่มเมื่อการเผาไหม้สิ้นสุด และลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่ไปยังศูนย์ตายล่าง

5. การระบายไอเสีย เช่นเดียวกับเครื่องยนต์จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ

6. จังหวะที่สี่ : จังหวะคายไอเสีย เช่นเดียวกับเครื่องยนต์จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ

image006.jpg

รูปที่ 1 –17 วัฎจักรการทำงานของเครื่องยนต์สองจังหวะจุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟโดยใช้ความดันในห้องข้องเหวี่ยง (a) จังหวะทำงานหรือจังหวะขยายตัว กาวความดันสูงดันลูกสูบจากศูนย์ตายบน ลงสู่ศูนย์ตายล่างในขณะที่ช่องทั้งหมดยังปิดอยู่ กาซในห้องข้อเหวี่ยงจะถูกอัดโดยลูกสูบที่เคลื่อนที่ลง ( ไอเสียถูกระบายเมื่อช่องไอเสียเปิด ในช่วงปลายของจังหวะทำงาน © ไอดีซึ่งถูกอัดเข้าสู่กระบอกสูบเมื่อช่องไอดีเปิด จะไล่ไอเสียส่วนที่เหลือออกทางช่องไอเสีย จนกระทั่งลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่ขึ้นจากศูนย์ตายล่าง และช่องทั้งสองถูกเปิด (d) จังหวะ ลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่ขึ้นสู่ศูนย์ตายบน ไอดีถูกดูดเข้าสู่ห้องข้อเหวี่ยง เกิดประกายไฟจุดระเบิดในช่วงปลายของจังหวะอัด (e) การสันดาปแบบปริมาตรค่อนข้างคงที่ใกล้ศูนย์ตายบน

วัฎจักรเครื่องยนต์สองจังหวะ จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ

(ภาพประกอบ 1-17 )

1. การเผาไหม้ เกิดการเผาไหม้อย่างรวดเร็วที่ศูนย์ตายบน อุณหภูมิและความดันจะเริ่มขึ้นสูงมาที่ปริมาตรค่อนข้างคงที่

2. จังหวะแรก: จังหวะกำลังหรือจังหวะขยายตัว กาซความดันสูงจาการเผาไหม้ ดันลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่ลง การเพิ่มปริมาตรทำให้ความดันและอุณหภูมิลงในขณะที่ลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่สู่ศูนย์ตายล่าง

3. การระบายไอเสีย ประมาณ 75 องศา ก่อนศูนย์ตายล่าง ลิ้นไอเสียจะเปิดและการระบายไอเสียเริ่มขึ้น ลิ้นไอเสียอาจเป็นลิ้นดอกเห็นในฝาสูบ หรืออาจเป็นช่องที่ผนังกระบอกสูบก็ได้ และจะเริ่มเปิดเต็มที่เมื่อลูกสูบใกล้ศูนย์ตายล่าง หลังการระบายไอเสีย จะเหลือไอเสียความดันต่ำค้างอยู่ในกระบอกสูบ

4. การดูดไอดีและการไล่ไอเสีย เมื่อการระบายไอเสียใกล้สิ้นสุดที่ปริมาณ 50 องศาก่อนศูนย์ตายล่าง หัวลูกสูบจะเริ่มพ้นขอบช่องไอดี ไอดีในห้องข้องเหวี่ยงซึ่งถูกลูกสูบเพิ่มความดันขณะเคลื่อนที่ลงจะไหลเข้ากระบอกสูบพร้อมกับไล่ไอเสียที่ตกค้างออไปทางช่องไอเสียเป็นการขับไล่ไอเสีย(scavenging) ลูกสูบเคลื่อนที่ขึ้นจากศูนย์ตายล่าง พร้อมับปิดช่องไอดี และช่องไอเสียตามลำดับ (หรือลิ้นไอเสียปิดถ้าใช้ลิ้นดอกเห็ด) ไอดีความดันสูงจะถูกป้อนเข้ากระบอกสูบได้สองวิธีด้วยกันคือใช้ตัวอัดบรรจุอากาศ (supercharger) ในเครื่องยนต์ขนาดใหญ่ หรือใช้ไอดีจากห้องข้อเหวี่ยงในเครื่องยนต์ขนาดเล็ก โดยให้ห้องข้อเหวี่ยงและลูกสูบทำหน้าที่ปั๊มอัดไอดีไปในตัว

5. จังหวะที่สอง: จังหวะอัด ในช่วงที่ลิ้นหรือช่องไอดีและไอเสียปิดหมด และลูกสูบกำลังเคลื่อนที่สู่ศูนย์ตายบน พร้อมกับไอดีถูกอัดเพิ่มความดันและอุณหภูมิหัวเทียนจะปล่อยประกายไฟก่อนสิ้นสุดจังหวะอัดการเผาไหม้จะเริ่มที่ใกล้ศูนย์ตายบนและเข้าสู่วัฎจักรถัดไป

วัฎจักรเครื่องยนต์สองจังหวะ จุดระเบิดด้วยการอัด (เครื่องยนต์ดีเซล)

วัฏจักรสองจังหวะของเครื่องยนต์ดีเซลเหมือนกับเครื่องยนต์ ยกเว้นข้อแตกต่างสองประการคือ เป็นการอัดอากาศที่เข้าสู่เครื่องยนต์โดยไม่มีเชื้อเพลิงผสม ไม่มีหัวเทียนแต่ติดตั้งหัวฉัดเชื้อเพลิงแทน ในช่วงปลายของจังหวะอัด เชื้อเพลิงจะถูกฉีดสู่อากาศความดันและอุณหภูมิสูงในห้องเผาไหม้ และลุกไหม้ขึ้นเอง

image008.jpg

รูปที่ 1-18 เครื่องยนต์ วี – 6สูบ ของเจเนอรัล มอเตอร์ส รุ่น แอล 67 ซีรีส์ 2 4 จังหวะ จุดระเบิดด้วยประกายไฟ ลิ้นเหนือฝาสูบ ความจุ 3.8 ลิตร 2 ลิ้นต่อสูบ ใช้คอมเพรสเชอร์ประจุอากาศ ให้กำลัง 140 แรงม้าที่ 5200 รอบต่อนาที แรงบิด 280 ปอนด์-ฟุต ที่ 3,600 รอบต่อนาที พิมพ์โดยได้รับอนุญาตจาก General Motors Corp.

ประชาสัมพันธ์

www.gmcworkshop.com

3 พฤศจิกายน 2549

carb tickover

slow running jet

intake manifold

Edited by taxexile

Do all Japanese cars have tachometers that show engine speed? My 1997 Nissan NV does not. And we can assume a late 1980's car has no fuel injection, and not many computerized engine controls.

Ever since they went to electronic ignition in the 1960's and did away with distributors with contact points, spark plugs seem to last far longer. Still, they should be replaced, along with the plug wires, every few years. When we bought the NV used, that was a standard repair to get it running well.

Carburetors - I hate them. Like a rich Texan :o I traded in my CBR150R for a new one when I couldn't solve my carb problems.

Sorry Sheryl for not clarifying. By RPMs (revolutions per minute) I meant the other dial on your dashboard right next to the speedometer. It shows how much you are "revving" (as you press harder on the accelerator, this dial will indicate a higher number). So at idle, it should be around 800 (usually the numbers shown are 1 through probably 6 (with writing somewhere that says "x1000").

So at idle, the needle should be below "1" or at least close to it. If this needle is dropping below, say 500, and coming up again, then dropping, this could be considered a "rough idle".

I suspect that the huge racket and shuddering while in Neutral is followed by the engine dying? That is because as the car idles too low, it struggles to stay on, but for some reason (the problem we are looking for) it can't and then dies. A dangerous condition especially considering that you mention it dies if you're not giving it gas on a turn -- bad situation.

The only dials next to my speedometer are the fuel gauage (left) and the temperatire (right), I don't see any dial such as you describe.

Yes, the huge racket and shuddering is followed by the engine dying.

I live in Prachinburi. I realize I need to find a decent mechanis and if anyone can recommend one in prachinburi I'll be eternally grateful.

The thing about travelling far afield, aside from the time and inconvenience is that it is hard then to go back if things go wrong and there is less accountability when they know you live far away. I had my clutch replaced in Nakhon Pathom once only to have them call me when I was 2/3 the way home to say they had "forgotten" something (turned out to be a major costly part for whicvh i had already paid) and would I just "frop by" for them to correct it, which of course I couldn;t so I ended up paying twice for the sasme part and labor.

the local folks while (a) a few sanwiches short of a picnic and (:o very hard to communicate with, at least know me and know they have to live with me and that I'll be back bothering them in a flash if they rip me off or otherwise grossly screw up.

How to say "idle speed" in Thai?

Thanks!

Sheryl, have you tried taking it to the local Nissan dealer? It may end up cheaper than making numerous visits to the local backyard mechanics.

Yes, that might cost a bit more but might also save you lots of headaches:)

It depends if Thai or English is the reference point, of course, but i think air filter was in the list already, wasn't it?

/Hans

/Hans

Beat me to it :D

The final one in the full list should actually (from the Thai name) read:

Air Filter กรองอากาศ Grong Ahgaht

G

No! Please do _not_ suggest anyone to drive an automatic car with both two feet! It can easily turn into a disaster!

I don't believe in breaking a manual car with the left foot either, of course... :o

/Hans

Sheryl, are you dipping the clutch and keeping it down allowing the engine to die on sharp curves ect? dip the clutch, change gear if you need and let the clutch up to keep the engine spinning and responsive.also if you know yove got to stop, select neutral, brake with your left foot and feather the throttle gently to keep the engine running,

The latter is a GET YOU HOME GIMMICK till you can get it repaired.

Or remove the air filter or pipe whatever is on top of the carburettor, get somebody to operate the acelerator and watch the movments at the carb, you should see a screw with a spring on it moving with the linkage, this is the tickover screw or engine idle speed screw, turn this clockwise half turn then start engine, if its ok, good, but if not turn in a little more, if you have to go over 12/1300 RPM the problem is inside carb.

Does your car have a manual choke? [probaly not} but if it does, this has the same action of raising the idle speed, to cope with the extra fuel, try pulling it out a bit then go for a run.

If this all a bit beyond you, perhaps print it off and show a falang friend,

Good luck, Lickey..

It depends if Thai or English is the reference point, of course, but i think air filter was in the list already, wasn't it?

/Hans

The Thai name was my reference for that one - sorry, didn't notice the other. So is it ฟอง, which according to my dictionary means either a bubble, or is the classifier for eggs, or กรอง, one of the meanings of which is 'percolate'? กรอง seems more appropriate I think.

I suggest we go for กรอง as long as people haven't started jumping up and down about it. :o

/Hans

/Hans

The Thai name was my reference for that one - sorry, didn't notice the other. So is it ฟอง, which according to my dictionary means either a bubble, or is the classifier for eggs, or กรอง, one of the meanings of which is 'percolate'? กรอง seems more appropriate I think.

Sheryl, please give us an update when you have the vehicle looked at.

I can't speak for anyone else but, I'm on the edge of my seat. :o

Hard to say from the general symptoms, could be anything from a

vacuum leak to losing power on a cylinder. Take the beast to the shop.

Will do but alas, very close friend required major surgery and as she speaks neither Thai nor English I have had to be with her 24/7 for all the appointm,ents, work-ups and then the surgery...ther first 2 parts of which involved daily travel of 500 km :o

Don't worry, I have giotten quite adept at managing the clutch and brake tricks (and it's a manual, not an automatic, Hans!). But I will indeed get ot looked at as soon as I can, Knock on wood my friend will be discharged tomorrow and once we've weathered the drive back to Prachin I'll have time to get the car looked at.......

Will let you all know trhe results

Memorise all of these, there will be a test next week.

Car รถเก๋ง Rot Gaeng

Clutch คลัช Clut

Brake เบรค Braake

Brake Pad ผ้าเบรค Pah Braake

Brake Disc จานเบรค Jaan Braake

Brake fluid น้ำมันเบรค Nam-an Braake

Brake Light ไฟเบรค Fai Braake

Windscreen กระจกหน้า Gra-Jok Nah

Rear Windscreen กระจกหลัง Gra-Jok Lang

Engine Oil น้ำมันเครื่อง Nam-an Krueng

Gearbox Oil น้ำมันเกียร์ Nam-an Gear

Power Steering Oil น้ำมันพาวเวอร์ Nam-an Power

Radiator หม้อน้ำ Mor-Naam

Radiator Fluid น้ำในหม้อน้ำ Naan Nai Mor Naam

Engine เครื่องยนต์ Krueng Yon

Steering Wheel พวงมาลัย Phum-a-Lai

Boot/Truck ท้ายรถ Tai Rot

Air Filter ฟองอากาศ Fong Aggart

Side View Mirrors กระจกข้าง Gra-Jok Kaang

Rear View Mirror กระจกมองหลัง Gra-Jok Mong Lang

Electric Windows กระจกไฟฟ้า Gra-Jok Fai Fah

Fuel Injector หัวฉีด Hua Cheet

Bonnet/Hood ฝากระโปรงหน้า Fah Gra-Bong Nah

Stereo เครื่องเสียง Krueng Seeang

Tyre ยาง Yaang

Hand Brake เบรคมือ Braake Mue

Exhaust ท่อไอเสีย Tor

Spare Tyre ยางอะไหล่ Yaang Alai

Steering Alignment ตั้งศูนย์ Dang Soon

Front Bumper กันชนหน้า Gan Chon Nah

Rear Bumper กันชนหลัง Gan Chon Lang

Distributor จานจ่าย Jarn Jai

Spark Plugs หัวเทียน Hua Ti-en

Shock Absorber โชคอัพ Chock-Up

Seat Belt เข็มขัด Kem Kat

Timing Belt สายพานไทม์มิ่ง Sy Paan Timing

CV Boot ยางหุ้มเพรา Yang Hum Pow

Suspension Spring สปริง S-Pring

Leaf Spring แหนบ Nairb

Rear Light ไฟหลัง Fai Lang

Reverse Light ไฟถอยหลัง Fai Toi Lang

Head Light ไฟหน้า Fai Naa

Indicator/Turn Light ไฟเลี้ยว Fai Leeo

Differential ไฟท้าย Fuang Tai

Horn แตร Dae

Wipers Blades ที่ปัดน้ำฝน Tee Bat Naam Fon

Oil Filter กรองอากาศ Glong Naam-an

Hi Apetley

With some apologies to you and Hans I have taken your list and sliced and diced it into excel and 3 columns

English, sounds like, Thai

and hopefully attached it here.

Cheers

Car_parts_in_Thai.xls

OK, finally back home and ready to deal with this only to find that the problem -- which had gone on for several weeks -- has suddenly vanished. the car still shudders in neutral but no more dying either in idle or on deceleration.

The things which preceded this "spontaneous recovery" were a change of spark plugs, with no immediate improvement noticeable, followed by extensive high speed highway driving daily for about 4 days.

??? make sense to anyone????

Sheryl, I'll hazard a guess that since your ride is nearly 20 years old, you

might be having carburetor/mixture problems. Sometimes even emmissions

control gadgets will fail allowing more air into the system. One cheap way to

tell is to remove the air cleaner lid and cup your hands over the mouth of

the carburetor. By modulating the opening, you form an artificial choke and

if it suddenly smooths out and starts to idle smoothly, you know why.

Sometimes a little highway driving will clean-out the system a little and cause

temporary improvement but I suspect the patient will relapse after another

month of city driving. Probably could just really use a comprehensive tune-up,

and I suppose finding a garage you feel comfortable with is the challenge here,

I would also not want to drop my car off with a blank check for repair unless I

new the people well, so it helps to have a relationship with the local shop.

Sheryl, I'll hazard a guess that since your ride is nearly 20 years old, you

might be having carburetor/mixture problems. Sometimes even emmissions

control gadgets will fail allowing more air into the system. One cheap way to

tell is to remove the air cleaner lid and cup your hands over the mouth of

the carburetor. By modulating the opening, you form an artificial choke and

if it suddenly smooths out and starts to idle smoothly, you know why.

Sometimes a little highway driving will clean-out the system a little and cause

temporary improvement but I suspect the patient will relapse after another

month of city driving. Probably could just really use a comprehensive tune-up,

and I suppose finding a garage you feel comfortable with is the challenge here,

I would also not want to drop my car off with a blank check for repair unless I

new the people well, so it helps to have a relationship with the local shop.

Thanks, you are probably right. I'll try that.

One other thought that just occurred to me is that, due to being in and oput of Bangkok, all of my last 3-4 fill-ups were there. I don't know if there's any truth to it but I've been told that out here in the Boondocks the petrol is sometimes adulterated in ways that will cause engine problems. Could that be true? I usually fill up at the local Catex, and assumed these stories were nonsense and that 91 at one brand name filling station was identical to any other. But could it be???