Marriage visa where to get it

I am married to a Thai lady. I have the marriage certificate and 250,000 Bht in the bank. I do not work in Thailand but am travelling to Manila in two weeks for business. Where is the best place to apply for a type O multiple entry marriage visa? At Thai consulate in Manila or here in Thailand. If in Thailand can I apply in Mai Sai or Chiang Mai as I live in the north. What other documents do I need to have? Thanks confused.

Are you talking about multi entry visa or an extension of your stay on a yearly basis?  

If you really need a multi entry class O non immigrant visa it is normally only available at a consulate outside Thailand and Manila may not be inclined to issue a multi entry type (but worth a try).  You can obtain in your home country or Penang in Malaysia AFAIK.  You only need a copy of marriage certificate and perhaps a copy of her id card.

But If you are thinking of an extension of stay for your current visa, as that is what requires the money in the bank, you do that at your local immigration office here in Thailand.

I am currently on a 30 day visa and have been doing the monthly run to Mai Sai for almost 2 years. I have to travel for business outside the country every 3 or 4 months, so if I apply for an extension of stay on a yearly basis, does this allow me to leave and re-enter the country withoout having to again apply for the extension of stay? Thanks for your help.

dman,

You will need a re entry stamp from immigration, this will allow you to re enter Thailand without losing your current visa. The cost is 500B for one re entry or 1000B for multiple. Takes 2 hours for BKK Immigration to complete the process.

As said, you can travel freely on both if you obtain the re entry permit for extensions of stay but you are required to report address every 90 days and renew each year within a few days of the same time.

If you travel this much believe the multi entry visa would be fine.  If you can not obtain the multi entry am sure you can at least get a single entry in Manila.  With this you have the option to extend in country or travel to a consulate that will issue you a multi entry visa.

Believe you can find the various requirements on main site.

Just one more question to clarify. Can the extension of stay and the re-entry permits be processed at immigration Mai Sai or Chiang Mai? Or do I need to do this at immigration BKK?

Thanks for the help.

You can do the paperwork at local immigration but approval will come from Bangkok.  For support (extension of stay) you may have to provide financial documents in addition to just a bank account as they will be asking question about your income.  You will need to have wife with you during the application process.

But first you should have a non immigrant visa as they normally don't do this for tourist visa holders AFAIK.

I'm also about to try to get a non-immigrant visa based on my marriage to my thai wife.

The marriage took place in my home country (Sweden). I have received an extract from the database that the authourities back home register the marriages in. Got it translated into thai and will get both papers stamped by my embassy.

Thinking of bringing these papers, a letter from my wife stating that we are still married and copies of my wife's id-card/passport/family papers. Will this be enough for the Manila embassy you think?

Thanks.

Fredro

Thinking of bringing these papers, a letter from my wife stating that we are still married and copies of my wife's id-card/passport/family papers. Will this be enough for the Manila embassy you think?

I would think so but do not know if they issue multi entry type visas as a rule or not.  Believe the best place outside your home country is usually Penang.