Lemsip

JuniorExPat

Everyone else in the family has got a cold but I've got man-flu, I think I'm dying and Sulidine is just not cutting it. This is one of the rare times that I crave something from 'the old country'.

Does anyone know where a miserable, self-pitying Brit can find Lemsip in town?

JxP

I always down a couple tabs of Tiffy Dey in the day, or Tiffy <deleted> in the PM if I'm ready to sleep. It's like the pill form of Robitussin we take back in the USA.

RTD,

can you get that in Chiang Mai?? Also Nyquil was really good but not available here.

TB

Dear JuniorExPat

Alas Lemsip (and Night Nurse) are not available anywhere in Chiang Mai. I too have to stock up on both items when I go back to the UK (I currently have a plentiful supply of both here in my medical cabinet!!!)

I think its a case of lobbying Boots to enhance their range of goods for us poor ferangs - particularly those with man-flu!

YL

Dear JuniorExPat

Alas Lemsip (and Night Nurse) are not available anywhere in Chiang Mai. I too have to stock up on both items when I go back to the UK (I currently have a plentiful supply of both here in my medical cabinet!!!)

I think its a case of lobbying Boots to enhance their range of goods for us poor ferangs - particularly those with man-flu!

YL

I spoke to Boots once about this and for some reason they can not stock it in Thailand - its some ingredient or other

I know people who work for the manufacturer and will try to ask them what it is.

I always down a couple tabs of Tiffy Dey in the day, or Tiffy <deleted> in the PM if I'm ready to sleep. It's like the pill form of Robitussin we take back in the USA.

Tiffy, Sulidine, they all have some benefits but it's just not Lemsip! :o

Thanks for the advice RTD.

JxP

Dear JuniorExPat

YL

Dear Yorkshire Lass

Thanks for your note of gloat - if only I had access to your medical cabinet! If what Prakanong reports is correct then it seems you could have a stash of contraband on your hands, make sure you keep that cabinet locked up.

Last night's attempt at an amber nectar style remedy totally failed, not only do I find myself home-alone with nobody to croak and growl at but I am now nursing a broken toe due to a particularly greasy patch in the road just outside the U.N. Irish pub.

Night nurses bringing Lemsip and sympathy welcomed, cash preferred!

JxP

I spoke to Boots once about this and for some reason they can not stock it in Thailand - its some ingredient or other

I know people who work for the manufacturer and will try to ask them what it is.

That's a bit of a turnaround, isn't usually Thai and other Asian pharmaceutical products that don't make the grade for export?

Anyway, I've given up now, time for a hot toddy or a Whiskey Mac . . . . where can I can get some Stone's Ginger Wine?!!

JxP

Last night's attempt at an amber nectar style remedy totally failed, not only do I find myself home-alone with nobody to croak and growl at but I am now nursing a broken toe due to a particularly greasy patch in the road just outside the U.N. Irish pub.

:o JxP i am actually gearing up to try the amber nectar style remedy tomorrow. not feeling too good right now but still got 24 hours before that happens. But i shall keep you posted on how i faired with it .. :D

Everyone else in the family has got a cold but I've got man-flu, I think I'm dying and Sulidine is just not cutting it. This is one of the rare times that I crave something from 'the old country'.

Sadly no, me old fruit :o I'm down to my last sachet, which I will take tonight, otherwise I would have gladly passed you on a few. All I can offer is to post you some next month. I realise that won't do you any good at the moment, but loads of nasty weather coming.

The reason I have had from pharmacists is that the dosage of 1000mg exceed the Thai limits :D

post-7622-1212752485_thumb.jpg

post-7622-1212752647_thumb.jpg

• 2 years later...

Sadly no, me old fruit :o I'm down to my last sachet, which I will take tonight, otherwise I would have gladly passed you on a few. All I can offer is to post you some next month. I realise that won't do you any good at the moment, but loads of nasty weather coming.

The reason I have had from pharmacists is that the dosage of 1000mg exceed the Thai limits :D

The 1000mg that you mention is for Lemsip Max. Please note that the standard Lemsip contains 650mg. Please also note that Lemsip contains aspartame for which there has certainly been a lot of controversy, particularly in regard to this ingredient in diet sodas.

As I am currently suffering from man-cold, I have been googling the likes of Tiffy to see if they have any adverse reactions. Tiffy appears ok (though I'm not 100% sure), but Apracur and Actifed both state that they should not be taken if you have blood pressure and/or thyroid problems, of which I have both.

Just yesterday my wife was sold Actifed at a local pharmacy without any mention of those problems. Good old Thailand.

Give me Lemsip any time, if it was available here.

The 1000mg that you mention is for Lemsip Max. Please note that the standard Lemsip contains 650mg. Please also note that Lemsip contains aspartame for which there has certainly been a lot of controversy, particularly in regard to this ingredient in diet sodas.

As I am currently suffering from man-cold, I have been googling the likes of Tiffy to see if they have any adverse reactions. Tiffy appears ok (though I'm not 100% sure), but Apracur and Actifed both state that they should not be taken if you have blood pressure and/or thyroid problems, of which I have both.

Just yesterday my wife was sold Actifed at a local pharmacy without any mention of those problems. Good old Thailand.

Funny that. I too stock up on Lemsip. Problem in the UK is that you can only buy two packs a time so it means multiple visits to the Pharm.

Think I'll start a Lemsipshop here in CM. Should do great business with you sick farangs!!!!!

Funny that. I too stock up on Lemsip. Problem in the UK is that you can only buy two packs a time so it means multiple visits to the Pharm.

Think I'll start a Lemsipshop here in CM. Should do great business with you sick farangs!!!!!

Sawasdee Khrup, Man-Flu Sufferers,

We'd offer you a shot from our well-aged bottle of Doi Mae Salong lao kao (distilled rice whisky) in which a poisonous centipede (Scolopendra Giganticea, Thai: Da Kaap) is emblamed in all of his near eleven inches of former glory, but we'd need power-of-attorney over your estate first.

More seriously, we're sorry to hear you are down, and, never having heard of 'Lemslip,' or 'Tiffany Dey,' or 'Tiffany <deleted>:' out of curiousity Googled the active ingredients in the Lemslip Max tablets which are listed as:

"Lemsip Max Cold & Flu Capsules. Contains: 1000mg Paracetamol, 12.2mg Phenylephrine hydrochloride, 50mg Caffeine per two capsule dose."

Phenylephrine hydrochloride is also called Neo-Synephrine elsewhere in the world.

Since paracetimol is available here (yes ?), and I'd guess you could find the other two ingredients, couldn't you whip up your own equivalent to Lemsip ?

Of course nothing will ever equal the medicine that Mum used to give you !

Hope you feel better, soon.

best, ~o:37;

p.s. weren't 'Tiffany Dey' and 'Tiffany <deleted>' winners of the Miss Thailand Kathoey contests in previous years ?

Edited by orang37

A word of caution about some cold remedies in this part of the world, where the use of meth-amphetamines (Yaa Baa) is out of control, as is the law enforcement meant to stop it.

One reason why some may be banned, or not stocked here is they can, or could, be used to produce amphetamines, the key ingredient being ephedrine used as a decongestant. I believe most modern EU/US over the counter remedies have now had ephedrine based substances replaced by, e.g. Phenylephrine as in Lemsip (which is supposedly much less effective BTW) but some of dubious origin may contain substances which would give a false positive on the BIB's urine test for Yaabaa! Also, one's motives for carrying it in luggage etc could be questioned and let's say "misinterpreted" :whistling:

In reality, it's probably not a big issue but best to be aware. TIT :o

Never seen this product in Chiang Mai or in Thailand. Same as, Andrews liver salts, Rennies indigestion tablets and so on.

I make my own cold and flu remedy medicine. It`s easy.

Pour some boiling water into a large drinking mug.

Add:

2 table spoons of pure honey.

A teaspoon of sugar.

Dissolve 2 aspirin in the boiling water.

Squeeze the juice from 4 or 5 of those small lime fruits into the tumbler. (Lemons are too expensive in Thailand, if you can get them).

And there you have it, one of the best cold relief formulas possible, just like grandma used to make.

Never seen this product in Chiang Mai or in Thailand. Same as, Andrews liver salts, Rennies indigestion tablets and so on.

I make my own cold and flu remedy medicine. It`s easy.

Pour some boiling water into a large drinking mug.

Add:

2 table spoons of pure honey.

A teaspoon of sugar.

Dissolve 2 aspirin in the boiling water.

Squeeze the juice from 4 or 5 of those small lime fruits into the tumbler. (Lemons are too expensive in Thailand, if you can get them).

And there you have it, one of the best cold relief formulas possible, just like grandma used to make.

Agreed, pretty much the same as my recipe - although maybe do not need the sugar if adding honey.

Edited by Contractor