Building Permit - Valid For How Long?

I'm going to start building on my plot "one day", but I want to get the building permit sorted. Does anyone know how long the permit, once obtained, will stay valid for? Also, does the building have to be "started" before the valid-until date or "finished" by that date?

I've also just read in an old thread that if I want to apply for the building permit in my own name solely (I am not married), I will need a YELLOW HOUSE BOOK first. I'm a little confused as I won't actually have an address until the house is built (other than the one I'm renting at the moment).

Cheers.

Building permits can be renewed. I have a number of clients who are currently using 10 year old building permits to construct very large commercial buildings (greater than 10,000 sqm), but the principal should apply to you to. Ask the local government's public works department

PS old building permits can be valuable because they can often allow construction under the old higher FARs and lower OSRs (floor : area and open space ratios), which should equate to more net sellable space per rai.

In my experience the first Yellow House Book I received in Buriram Province was when I did not own a home. Just as many Thai People might be in a Blue House book, they do not all "own" the place they legally live. Hence in my opinion you can in fact obtain a yellow house book listing your address as your present rental. Every office is a little different, but this item is in a Thai Government book as I have seen the Government staff look up requirements in a book. If you look at all the posts on this subject in Thai Visa you will get an idea that you need to bring a "bushel of papers", but from my experience you will get this book.

Without the Yellow House book you will get jacked around on obtaining a building permit in your name. Good luck on your future trips to and from the Government office. You can obtain a Yellow house book in less than 24 hours. If you obtain a building permit without paying a "speed up" fee in less than 24 DAYS you are a lucky person.

Thanks for the info guys. BTW, does the permit have to be renewed while it's current i.e. before it expires, or within a certain time period after it has expired? That may sound like a silly question, but you have to let your driving license expire and take (drive to the license office with your expired license? :o ) your "EXPIRED" 1 yr temp driving license to get a new 5yr one!

kamalabob2, I've been reading your (and other's) posts and experiences concerning the "yellow book" issues with great interest. I will heed your warning about venturing into the minicipal office without the little yellow book, I'll send the GF in first the check the lie of the land though. :D

I'm in no rush to get the permit as I don't plan on starting constuction for another 9 months or so, as there is not yet electricity (or water) to the plot. I figured if I got the permit ball rolling now, even if I kept the dept. guys whistling for their tea money 'till they got bored, I may have got somewhere by March next year.

To complicate (maybe?) matters, the land is held by the limited Co. Has anyone any experience of what company paperwork needs to be supplied (and signed by whom) in order for permission to be given for a director to 1) apply for building permit in his own name and 2) build a house and take full legal possesion of the house built on the company's land? i.e. will the building permit on its own give me entitlement or should I be looking at superficies to back it up?