Yamaha Mio

Hi

I just bought a second hand mio - its a newer model not quite 2 yrs old.

Everything seems fine apart from the maximum speed seems to be 60mph. It seems when im riding it like its capped some how. Is this correct? It is not possible to go more than 60mph?

If someone could confirm this i would be grateful.

Thanks

I think your Mio has a fault. My wife bought a 1 year old Mio 2 weeks ago and she tells me it goes very well.

My son has told me he took it out and went over 100km/hr with no problem.

I think you need to get the bike to a good mechanic and get it sorted out.

I think you have a problem unless you weigh 200kg's!

Wifeys Mio does just over 100k's with her and me onboard no problem.

Check your brakes aren't binding by spinning the wheels first.

I weigh 80kgs. It runs really well from 0-60 and then just wont go any faster. It feels like its limited somehow. I just bought it today and didnt test it over 60kph.

Bought it from the ruam chok market in chiang mai - not sure what to do now i guess ill have to take it to a garage.

Thanks for the responses - appreciated.

Yep, pretty much all those automatics should reach 80 km/h fairly fast.

At that speed the variable gear tops out at the highest ratio, so from there on further acceleration will come from revving the engine up.

At most you can expect 100-105 km/h, simply because these engines are designed to operate at around 4000 rpm, and as long as you stay under 80 km/h they can't rev higher then that 4000 rpm, making them rather lazy over time if you do try to rev higher on those occasional big road stretches...

For higher top speeds manual gears are better, since basically the engine is happy in a much wider rpm range!

Before you go hunting for a problem, which possibly isn't there, find a competant mechanic and give it a service. Yamaha would be preferable. Change the engine oil, auto drive oil (with the correct oil, not the remains of the engine oil. If you don't take it to Yamaha buy the sachet of oil from them and watch your mechanic change it), change the spark plug and clean the filters. In fact just change the air filter and clean the auto drive filter in water and dry. Important, watch your mechanic do this.

The air filter is located in front of the rear wheel, as per photo

post-38330-1212982907_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a 'mechanic' clean an air filter, even when given to him in his hand. If an engine can't breath it's gonna have problems with top end speed.

Once all this is done take it for a decent ride and open it up as much as possible, I'm fairly sure your problems will now be solved

UPDATE

Many thanks for the contributions.

This morning i filled up my bike with a full tank of fuel. After a while once the old fuel was completely out of the system the bike started to improve almost instantly. I suddenly had power at 60KPH and could run it easily up to 100KPH. I was all set to take it for a thorough servicing at the garage but im not sure i need to now. I dont know what fuel was in the tank before but i am almost certain that was the problem. The bike seems to be running fine now and i am feeling quite relieved.

Thanks again for all the help - much appreciated.

UPDATE

Many thanks for the contributions.

This morning i filled up my bike with a full tank of fuel. After a while once the old fuel was completely out of the system the bike started to improve almost instantly. I suddenly had power at 60KPH and could run it easily up to 100KPH. I was all set to take it for a thorough servicing at the garage but im not sure i need to now. I dont know what fuel was in the tank before but i am almost certain that was the problem. The bike seems to be running fine now and i am feeling quite relieved.

Thanks again for all the help - much appreciated.

Unless you've got a receipt to prove a recent service from a main dealer then I'd get it serviced anyway. It's only a couple of hundred baht and the oil in there at the moment could have been in there for ages or be very low quality.

Glad you got it sorted anyway...