Firearms Permit

Kicker

Does anyone know if the 35 year old minimum age / 1 mil in the bank requirement is strictly enforced ?

Depends where you are applying for the license.

I received my firearm license from the Phuket police department after my break-in into my house.

No papers except my passport with visa was needed but you have to know the correct people. ( as always ) :o

Does anyone know if the 35 year old minimum age / 1 mil in the bank requirement is strictly enforced ?

Depends where you are applying for the license.

I received my firearm license from the Phuket police department after my break-in into my house.

No papers except my passport with visa was needed but you have to know the correct people. ( as always ) :o

My understanding, judging from the above post that you are not Thai, is that were you to ever shoot someone with the gun and be subsequently charged by the police (or be charged with any other gun related offence such as posession) your gun license would be deemed illegal. Not a nice thought.

Don't know of many countries that issue gun permits to foreigners.

I think the best bet is to buy one, hide it and if you ever need to use it because of a break in then shoot em! when you call the cops just tell them he broke in with the gun and you took it off him and used it against him.

dont you think that would work?

Don't know of many countries that issue gun permits to foreigners.

I think the best bet is to buy one, hide it and if you ever need to use it because of a break in then shoot em! when you call the cops just tell them he broke in with the gun and you took it off him and used it against him.

dont you think that would work?

They watch C.S.I. over here....

If you trust your wife, get it in her name, its in the house or car if comes down to a time were you need to use it its there. And no one is gonna give you a hard time if its your wife's and legally registered as such. And even if they do chances are you can buy the assailant's life for 500,000 baht or less probably MUCH MUCH less.

An overview of the framework is below, though despite this plethora, the trade in illegal small arms is often acknowledged to be widespread.

• Firearms, Ammunition, Explosive Articles and Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act, B.E. 2490 (1947)
  • Munitions of War Control Act, B.E. 2530 (1987)
  • Decree on the Export Control of Armaments and Material, B.E. 2535 (1992)
  • Order of the National Administrator Reform Committee No.37 (October 1976)
  • Ministerial Regulation No.12 (1981), issued under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Firearm Equivalents Act 1947
  • Ministerial Regulation No.1 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Ministerial Regulation No.2 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Ministerial Regulation No.3 (1977), issued under the Order of the National Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Ministerial Regulation No.4 (1977), issued under the Order of the National 3
  • Administrative Reform Committee No. 37
  • Act Controlling Firearms, Ammunition, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms No.4 (1967)
  • Notification of the Ministry of Interior. Appointment of Registrars, Officers and Officials under the Firearms, Ammunitions, Explosives, Fireworks and Imitation of Firearms Act 1947

In summary, a foreigner in Thailand is unable to carry a firearm, without express permission, which is very rarely granted. For a Thai citizen, they must show themselves to be good members of the community, show cause for issuance of the licence, and I seem to recall show or pay a specific sum {see below} for a firearm licence to be provided. As in other countries the regulations specify class of weapon, including shot-guns, small bore rifles, hand guns etc..

From a report submitted by the Thai authorities to the UN, in 2005:-

Any person who desires to possess small arms (pistols) must obtain permission from the authorities concerned. In Bangkok, the Commissioner General of the Royal Thai Police is responsible for granting of permit licenses for gun possession. An inter-agency, committee, comprising agencies such as the Office of Narcotics Control Board, the Ministry of Interior, the Ministry of Defence, the Office of the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police, will be set up to verify the qualification of each applicant. Then, the persons who have authority to grant permit license are the Commissioner-General of the Royal Thai Police and provincial governors. Permit licenses can be cancelled any time when the licensee is proven to have committed a crime or to have used guns inappropriately. The person whose license was cancelled will never be granted a permit license again.

The Ministry of Interior released the ministerial order on 29 May 2003 to suspend the granting of permit licenses for all types of rifle temporarily due to the increasing number of crime cases caused by small arms and according to the government policy to suppress firearms, illegal arms, and organised crime. Such authorisation must be given by the Minister of Defence.

For a civilian who wishes to obtain a firearm possession license, he/she has to be over 35 years old and possess a saving account holding more than 1 million Baht for at least 6 months. In the case an applicant for a permit license owns a business or is a company manager, the registered capital must be at least 10 million Baht. In addition, this act states that any government officer who desires to carry government issued guns and ammunitions out of the office in a non-emergency case has to ask for permission from the head of the agency, and must have the letter of permission at hand.

The Ministry of Interior has proposed a new Amnesty Act to exempt penalties to any person possessing illegal arms in order to help reduce the number of illegal arms in the country. At present, this Act has not yet been endorsed but is in the final review process.{2005, don't recall that it happened} However, Thailand has enacted the Amnesty Acts six times in the past, namely, in 1948, 1958, 1975, 1987, 1992 and 2000.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller