Tot Adsl Sme Results - Worst Speed And Service

Parker123

• 1 month later...

hi, had the same expierience here in phuket, november december arround 200 kb

now january its around 50-80 kb

i call 1100 they say there is no problem, i call adsl phuket they say send technition

i mention them its not problem with me, its everyone

see http://www.live-access.com/PhuketInternet....etInternet.aspx

they act like they not here, finaly when i show technition, he say TOT not garantee international speed

I think internet IS something international

i pay for high speed and get modem 56 k speed

unacceptable

can we do something ?

The reason your currently having issues guys is due to the See ME We 3 and 4 lines between asia and europe being damaged again. this happened in early December. the repair was supposed to be completed at the end of the year.

I haven't found any updates on the internet concerning this, but i'll assume that its been fixed and ToT hasn't yet bothered to re route the data away from America back through SeeMeWe3 to the middle east.

The current path the internet is taking from Thailand to Europe is via Singapore to the USA to Europe. hel_l of a long way around , more than double the distance, plus all those lines that would normally have half the traffic flowing through them (east bound lines) now have west bound traffic to contend with.

A map to illustrate

post-5979-1232379453_thumb.jpg

Greg

Edited by griser

Speeds to USA today have been so bad that some sites hosted in USA won't even load (narrowed it down to Houston area). Also experiencing 50% packet loss most of the time... useless

I am using TOT Crapstar, but I am experiencing no problems with asian hosted sites and getting the usual speeds.. :o

Totster :D

What speedtest.net does not show you, is the packetloss. Currently around 20% in the morning (5am-6am) and over 40% in the daytime. And that's on TOT's network.

TOT is f#cking up somehow, and they are the only ones that don't know it......

Edited by Prasert

My ITuner is unable to maintain a connection today at even 24 kbs. Slowest and most intermittent service I have seen in two years. I hope the problems (international and domestic) get fixed soon. Am sure my problem is pretty insignificant when compared with those that rely on the internet for their profession.

If you take for example most the UK ISP's they came across the hurdle of bandwidth hogging and 90% of the ISP's there on the basic packges such as 512/256 etc they have a limit per month of 10-20gb of usage. The more expensive / business products from the ISP's offer unlimited data usage or 50gb+ per month.

Looking at Thailand the ISP's are selling all packages with unlimited bandwidth per month - which MUST be contributing to the slowness of the internet from thailand - bearing in mind the net infrastructure out of the country. (If the UK ISP bandwidth couldnt cope with it i am dam_n sure the Thai ISP's cannot!)

Therefore I think Thai ISP's need to take a long hard look at their packages and limit the basic packages per month and only the premium 2000THB+ packages get unlimited bandwidth. I am sure if this was the case the quality / speed would double over night.

Edited by dekka007

• 2 weeks later...

ok, first of all we should make sure that there is a difference between MegaBytes (MB) and MegaBits (Mbit). 1 Byte equal 8 Bits, so a 2MB connection would be 16Mbits and so on...

a TOT technician i know personally confirmed that their international gateway has been on it's knees for 19 months now, so in peak times there are connections around 10 or 20 Kbits/sec, means 1 to 3 KB per second, sometimes NOTHING. i agree, totally dissatisfying for a 2Mbit connection. average outside Thailand is 200-300Kbit/s down and 120-200Kbit/s upstream. that means 10% to 15% of the bandwidth you pay for.

if you check the servers in BKK it's all fine, full throttle down and up. but the problem is the intl' gateway. this means everything outside Thailand is very slow.

ok, what to do ? don't expect the TOT customer support to do anything. of 72 emails we sent to [email protected] (the official support email they give you) a total of 0 (zero) were replied to. we tried all emails we found - still no replies. what kind of customer care is that ?

ok, call center. the operators are friendly but mostly supposed to repell customers in need. all they say is "we check for you, we send report, we will call you back". but unfortunately they don't. you can try and ask for a supervisor, but in 200 calls at different times and weekdays there NEVER was any supervisor available. funny...

bottom line :

no support, no service, bad intl' bandwidth, no interest in solving problems on their side.

Hi :o

For REAL speed tests, install uTorrent, go to a public torrent site, grab a well seeded and leeched (!) torrent and start downloading. Watch the speed! Once you have completed the download, keep it seeding (= uploading) and watch that speed.

Why? because going to one single server does NOT give accurate results, NEVER. Because that very server could be slow! But using torrents you are connected to multiple machines around the globe at once.

I got this information from ISSP where my office leased line comes from. Supposedly 1 Mb/s i tested it with various "speed test" destinations around the world right after it was installed and also got merely 300 Kb/s up and 200Kb/s up. I called to complain (that <deleted> cost 32k Baht per month!) and was advised to try with torrents.

Lo and behold, using uTorrent, i get my 1Mb/s down and up speeds, 24/7.

At home (True ADSL, 1.5M/512K) i get EXACTLY the advertised speeds, again only when using torrents - "speed test" sites showing anything they want.

Best regards.....

Thanh

Lo and behold, using uTorrent, i get my 1Mb/s down and up speeds, 24/7.

At home (True ADSL, 1.5M/512K) i get EXACTLY the advertised speeds, again only when using torrents - "speed test" sites showing anything they want.

Thanh

That's my experience as well. Just upgraded to a 2MB True connection and on popular torrents I get 250-260kBs downloads i.e. 2MBs as advertised.  :o