Rayong Beach Houses?

dude123

Hello everyone!

I just found this forum today. My wife is Thai and we have been married for 4 years now. She is twisting my arm a little to move to Thailand and the Rayong area looks like the type of area I would like to retire too. Is there any place you could recommend for beach houses there and approx price for a decent one to buy, maybe in a secured area? I don't know about the crime rates or break ins, but I do keep hearing if one looks like a farang "me", chances are much higher that my house would get broken into. This is the one thing that has constantly discouraged me from moving to Thailand as we keep hearing in the news over here how Foreigners are always targeted, but I was really hoping most of it is BS and can really live a peaceful life there. Thanks in advance.

Edited by dude123

I can't think of any secured housing communities near the beach in Rayong. You might want to look in Ban Phe and Ban Chang, which definitely have gated communities near the beach. Rayong is great, but it's an old fishing village that has grown tremendously, and most of the new developments are on the other side of Sukhumvit.

There are many going up right now.

Targeting our Scandihooligan brethren.

Most of the Estate Agents in the region now price properties in Euro's or Krona , the parts of the ads that I can read (and thats not because I don't read Thai :o )

I seem to remember one going up called Oriental Beach or something like that.

Take a drive along the beach road from Rayon Resort (Ban Phe) to Kleang, lots and lots of development.

Its a shame really, but I guess it progress.

Cheers

Hello everyone!

I just found this forum today. My wife is Thai and we have been married for 4 years now. She is twisting my arm a little to move to Thailand and the Rayong area looks like the type of area I would like to retire too. Is there any place you could recommend for beach houses there and approx price for a decent one to buy, maybe in a secured area? I don't know about the crime rates or break ins, but I do keep hearing if one looks like a farang "me", chances are much higher that my house would get broken into. This is the one thing that has constantly discouraged me from moving to Thailand as we keep hearing in the news over here how Foreigners are always targeted, but I was really hoping most of it is BS and can really live a peaceful life there. Thanks in advance.

Get smart, rent in the area you want to settle in for say a year, get to know "the lie of the land". Get to know the rules, customs,rip offs etc. Don't make an expensive mistake. Take your time

Get smart, rent in the area you want to settle in for say a year, get to know "the lie of the land". Get to know the rules, customs,rip offs etc. Don't make an expensive mistake. Take your time

Thank you everyone for all the advice! I was just telling my wife the same thing about renting for a year first until we find a spot that really works for us. She keeps steering me away from Pattaya saying it has too much crime, so we thought Rayong may be a good choice.

There are a good few nice secure (ish) estates near the beaches at Ban Chang now, which is about 15 minutes from Rayong. I have no idea of the prices though. I too would recommend renting for a year first. I didn’t and ended up spending a lot more than I should have.

There are a good few nice secure (ish) estates near the beaches at Ban Chang now, which is about 15 minutes from Rayong. I have no idea of the prices though. I too would recommend renting for a year first. I didn't and ended up spending a lot more than I should have.

This forum is a good investment :o I was hoping I would not be so foolish as to buy right away, but when first looking at house prices compared to Canada, everything in Thailand looks ridicously cheap.

The places I've seen advertised are from 1.4 to 2.5 million baht starting prices. Obviously more if you want bigger / better finishes.

The only one that I know of that would be in walking distance of the beach is Lom Talay 1 and 2 in Ban Chang. The others I've seen tend to be along Sukhumvit.

Just as a side note---------->>>construction costs have risen about 25% or more since the first of the year. Steel prices close to 100% so by next year the average house cost to buy or build will be significantly higher. The prediction for more increase is that another 25% by year end.

The suggestion to rent for a year is for sure a smart move especially with the way prices are going. You would not want to make a big investment and find the area is not to your liking.

I currently rent in Ban Chang and will be building next year.

This area beats Pattaya all to hel_l and shopping for "my food" is just up the road a bit back to Patters. If i plan my trip in the morning no need to put up with the traffice and stuff in Patters. And once a month not so bad.

Thanks for all the tips! I called my wife and she will head that way again in 2 weeks or so and send me pictures and prices. I've only been to Bangkok and Pattaya myself, but this part of Thailand looks lovely and more relaxed. I'm not sure if I could handle living in a warm country with friendly people, cheap food, lovely beaches and a laid back lifestyle, but I will try my best to make it work :o

Edited by dude123

Dude123, houses right on the beach tend to be quite pricy. We moved out of a 3 bedroom bungalow with decent garden at Payun beach and were paying 26k a month, now paying more but a far better house and huge garden fronting right onto the beach. Looked at a 3 story villa, beach front, under Phala cliff going for 35k a month.

Dude123, houses right on the beach tend to be quite pricy. We moved out of a 3 bedroom bungalow with decent garden at Payun beach and were paying 26k a month, now paying more but a far better house and huge garden fronting right onto the beach. Looked at a 3 story villa, beach front, under Phala cliff going for 35k a month.

Compared to what one would get in Canada, that still is dirt cheap to be on the beach. Any idea how much to actually by a good quality house fronting onto a beach around there?

We got offered the one we're in now for 20million. Bit high but for a good quality one not bad. Same house where I come from in Scotland would be at least three times more.

Ouch :o A little too much for me. My wife just called and said less than 100 metres from the beach there is some bank repos on brand new 2 storey quality houses for 2.5 mil. I told her to get it if she can as that is within what I can afford without sweating. 20mil baht is getting close to some of the houses on the beach in Florida with their depressed market right now on many of their forclosers, so that does not sound like a good deal to me anymore. conmsidering it is Thailand. Looks like beachfront in any country is never going to be cheap.

Edited by dude123

In Bang Sare they're selling beach front land overpriced at 2.5 million a Rai and you could build yourself a fantastic house for 10 million Baht so 20 million in Ban Chang does sound a bit OTT.

There is very little beach front land in Bang Sare.

Most of it has a road between the beach and the property.

Cheers

In Bang Sare they're selling beach front land overpriced at 2.5 million a Rai and you could build yourself a fantastic house for 10 million Baht so 20 million in Ban Chang does sound a bit OTT.

There is very little beach front land in Bang Sare.

Most of it has a road between the beach and the property.

Cheers

But less than 0.5m from the road is the beach.

Empty, beach front, land next to us is for sale at 20m a rai.

$666,000.00 CDN dollars is a lot of money for beachfront land in Thailand isn't it? They must be catering to North Americans and Europeans with those prices. My wife is Thai and when a Falang gives a price of lets say 10 mil, she gets the scoop and the real price is 3 mil. I'm still learning all this!

I currently rent a house right on the beach in pala, ban chang for 9k. It was offered to me to buy for 6 mil, what everyone fails to tell you is that 50m from the high tide mark belongs to the thai navy. If you own access to that area of beach you can build something there as most people do, but the navy can reposses it if they want. They never have ,but it's still dodgy. There are really nice housing estates around this area and definately worth a look as it sounds like what your looking for. P.M me if you would like some more info.

There is very little beach front land in Bang Sare. Most of it has a road between the beach and the property.

Cheers

Just had a look at some pics of Bang Sare and the beach is a little on the thrifty side.

Yeah, the beach is a bit small but if you walk farther along to Sunset Beach it's OK.

This morngin saw that overpriced 2.5 million baht land now priced at 3.9 million!!!!

Empty, beach front, land next to us is for sale at 20m a rai.

$666,000.00 CDN dollars is a lot of money for beachfront land in Thailand isn't it? They must be catering to North Americans and Europeans with those prices. My wife is Thai and when a Falang gives a price of lets say 10 mil, she gets the scoop and the real price is 3 mil. I'm still learning all this!

Yeah, there's so many people adding their percentage onto land and house sales it's ridiculous. You need to find the actual owner of the land and deal direct with them.

20m a rai is a joke!

belongs to the thai navy. If you own access to that area of beach you can build something there as most people do, but the navy can reposses it if they want. They never have ,but it's still dodgy.

Along Hat MaeRamPheung it is the same. The beach area is owned by the Navy but allows the Beach Businesses access to temporary structures, but as yet nothing permanent is allowed.

They keep threatening to move them on, but haven't actually gone through with it yet, like you say sounds a little dodgy to me.

Moss

I too am considering moving to the Eastern Seabord and the two places I would be looking at first are Bang Sare and Ban Chang. I have not been to these places lately and would appreciate comments about them from those of you who live there, pros and cons please.

I have just retired and I am also married to a Thai and I know the Pattaya area quite well since I have been doing business with the Royal Thai Navy for well over twenty years and for most of the times I camped out at the Dusit, we had a very good corporate rate there, since the navy hotel in Sattahip is not to my liking.

To you dude123 I would like to apologise for borrowing your thread by posting my own questions here. From your posting I assume you are unfamiliar with way businesses are conducted in Thailand and buying a house, or a piece of land for that matter, is indeed a very serious business, and if it is done incorrectly it could cost you. What I specifically like you to pay attention to is the legal aspects and before committing yourself hire a good and independent lawyer.

There are many of my Swedish countrymen who have signed very poor contracts, the "you buy we sell you have all obligations we have all rights" kind of contracts, for their resort homes in Thailand. When they later discovered that the builder wasn't delivering they found themselves in a rather poor situation and many have hence lost a considerable amount of money.

Yeah, the beach is a bit small but if you walk farther along to Sunset Beach it's OK.

This morngin saw that overpriced 2.5 million baht land now priced at 3.9 million!!!!

I noticed a lot of that going on everywhere in Thailand. Now I understand why everyone here tells me to rent for 6 months and ask many questions.

belongs to the thai navy. If you own access to that area of beach you can build something there as most people do, but the navy can reposses it if they want. They never have ,but it's still dodgy.

Along Hat MaeRamPheung it is the same. The beach area is owned by the Navy but allows the Beach Businesses access to temporary structures, but as yet nothing permanent is allowed.

They keep threatening to move them on, but haven't actually gone through with it yet, like you say sounds a little dodgy to me.

Moss

Well that is a little discouraging! Thanks all for that info as it may sway me to look at other parts of Thailand if that is the case. According to Murphy's law, chances are I will buy a property there and lose it to the Navy soon after!

Edited by dude123