Drive From Bangkok To Phuket

ok need some help...

we are landing in bangkok in aug and want to hire a car from the airport and drive down to phuket and drop the car off at that airport ( yes may sound crazy to some but hey) :o

one point to mention is we are staying for 12 months, and will be staying in phuket.

1) will my boyfriend have to leave his passport at the car hire place example hertz? given the fact that we are staying long term and will be dropping the car off at phuket?

2) I have read a web blog of a guy who did drive from bkk to phuket, and he mentioned police and army checkpoints....silly question but what exactly happens, what can we expect...is it a case of going straight past, do we stop what do we need to show them? he didnt really mention this in detail...and we dont want to look stupid :D

3) re the checkpoints how far apart do these tend to be? is there a map anywhere online marking these so we know when to expect them and when??

Thanks for any help

Hi There,

The drive is easy- but make sure you get a good set of directions and a map first - some of the road signs can be confusing, especially around Bangkok and the Tollways (for me, anyhow!).

Checkpoints - most towns have them, but usuually are not manned - just lots of traffic cones filtering you into one lane. For those that are manned, just slow down, and youare normally waved through.If you are stopped they may ask for license or a fine.... normally negotiable!

Hire car - for major cmpanies you will not need to leave your passport, just an impression of your credit card and copy of your passport / driving license. However, if you are dropping off in Phuket, you can not get the imprint backor watch them destroy it when you drop the car off... I would worry about that!

Hope this helps....

Matt

1) will my boyfriend have to leave his passport at the car hire place example hertz?
No - you will keep your passport.

You will need to provide payment, open credit card slip for the deposit (recovery of that slip is an issue as mention above). Driving licence - suggest you bring your national & an International Driving Permit.

Strictly speaking as you are staying for one year you should convert your IDP to a Thai national driving licence. An IDP is accepted as vailid for three months while you are in Thailand - but I very much doubt you will encounter a problem even towards the end of your stay. Licence checks are very basic and a glance from the inspecting officer is normally all that happens. (Details for getting a Thai driving licence is well covered in this forum - it will cost about 200 Baht and take 2-3 hours at a Transport Office. Do it if you are bored one day.)

If you both drive I suggest ensuring that you both have IDP licences and are listed as the rented drivers for the car you get.

2) I have read a web blog of a guy who did drive from bkk to phuket, and he mentioned police and army checkpoints....silly question but what exactly happens,
There are very few army check points, normally you will encounter these near border crossings or in areas where there is trouble; the Far South, border with Burma, along the Cambodian border. As tourists in a rented car you are unlikely to be stopped at an Army check point unless there is a reason that you should not venture into that area. I have encountered such an Army check point within a few Km of the Burmese border in the far North of Thailand a few years ago, very pleasent people a little bored due to nothing going on all day. But they suggested that there had been cross border incidents in the past week and it was unwise for us to venture futher into that mountain range. As I was a tourist at the time we posed for pictures with the army sentries and turned round. All very easy no hassles. Army check points generally do not ask for licences etc.

There are a few different forms of police check points on the roads within Thailand, please do not be alarmed this is all very normal and generally not a hassle. Their prime target is illegal immigrants and lorries/trucks.

There will be sections of road that are coned off to slow traffic down to a single file, then police along the single file traffic will either wave you through or stop you and ask something through your open window.

Generally the first question is where are you going? Maybe where have you come from?

If they ask for your licence show the IDP, it is an offence not to have either a Thai or IDP to drive in Thailand.

They might ask for your Passport, they would want to see what country you are from and if you have overstayed your visa permitted until date.

Sometimes they might ask you to pull over to the side of the road while they have this conversation with you.

You do not need to wai the police in this situation - just be polite and smile. Unless there is a violation in terms of car taxation or something like that it is very very unlikely to be asked for a fine at a check point like this, I have never encountered such a situation.

I suggest that you do not speak any Thai - make them do the work.

Sometimes you are just being stopped to allow them to practice their English, a passing knowledge of current football players names can be ice breakers or mild distractions.

I have had my car searched (for drugs) on one occasion, but it would appear that this is very very rare, again this was up in the Burma region. Police polite and curtious.

Speed traps, there are no fixed Gatso cameras in Thailand. There are a few road side hand held guns and similar but the most common police speed trap is simply by the judgement of a traffic cop standing by the side of a long stretch of road.

Most Highways (motorways) have a upper limit of 120 kph, main roads similar to UK dual carriage ways have a limit of 90 kph. Urban roads will be about 45-60 kph. Generally only main roads carry random police speed traps. Also note, driving in the right hand lane when the left hand lane is empty is an offence in Thailand.

Offending traffic will be waved over to stop, depending on the officer and his mood a number of things may happen:

- You will be advised of the speed limit and told to drive more carefully.

- You will be written up for a formal ticket and your licence endorsed, a moving traffic voilation will incur a fine starting at 400 Baht and need to be paid at the local police station.

or something else might happen.

No evidence or speed camera photo will be produced, the rate of a 400 Baht fine might be mentioned and the dangerous speed or driving in the wrong lane will be discussed. At this point when the officer stops talking ask clearly the following, " Is there a way that we could pay the fine here? "

[ This is very different from offering a bribe straight away - there are straight cops in Thailand, I am aware of one person that was arrested for offering a bribe for a minor speeding offence - but again this is very rare. ]

If the cop says that it would be possible to pay an on the spot fine you know two things; the cop will accept a bribe and that he is open to negotiation on that price. The opening price is 400 Baht - locals will pay 100 baht so if you aim for 200 Baht you are doing OK.

With this in mind keep a few 100s close to hand - silly to open a wallet with 1,000s exposed when you have knocked the price down to 200 Baht. Hand the the money to the officer low down just below the line of the open window so that others can not see what is happening.

Sometimes cops have more senior police checking on road side spped traps and check points and may consider such open bribery a problem. Likewise don't leave money with your licence when you hand it over first time round. Take things slowly and step by step. The first time it happens will feel strange but this process works very well.

If oncoming traffic flashes their headlights at you - it is tip that there are police ahead.

Driving at night. Thai police have yet to understand that standing at the side of the road waving normal white torches at oncoming 120 kph traffic makes about much sense as it sounds - yet they still do it. Thai police's color is red flashing lights, often suplimented with 4 foot floursence tubes in an inverted V formation. You will see illuminated check points like this during your travels.

....what can we expect...is it a case of going straight past, do we stop what do we need to show them? he didnt really mention this in detail
Any questions?
...and we dont want to look stupid.
No, do not think like this - looking stupid is fine. I was stopped driving a car I know had an expired road tax sticker once - everytime the officer asked me to explain why this was the case I offered my passport. After three attempts I was waved on - it is easier for them for you to go away than expose their poor English skills to their co-workers. You will learn about Thai face.
3) re the checkpoints how far apart do these tend to be? is there a map anywhere online marking these so we know when to expect them and when??
No maps, generally check points are in established locations (next to the police's road side 'station'.), as it saves them having to move the lights and cones too much. After driving here some time you get to know their favorite spots for random speed traps, amoung trees at the bottom of long gentle sloping hill is a high risk area as is the 5-10 km just outside a large town, they know that traffic wants to make up time lost during the slow traffic in town and being close the town the police don't have to go far. :o
The drive is easy- but make sure you get a good set of directions and a map first - some of the road signs can be confusing, especially around Bangkok and the Tollways (for me, anyhow!).
Agreed - although more complex for the first time driver, generally the important road direction signs are in English, others are understandable where simple graphics are used. On your map identify the major towns that you will be driving past - use these are 'what way to go' indicators. From Bangkok airport i would suggest follow the main exit road (elevated) to Highway 7 - turn left towards Bangkok city centre - after a few minutes take the left exit slip road to the Southern ring road Highway 9, sign posted towards Samut Prakan then Samut Songkham aim for Higway 4 and Phetcha-Buri and Hua Hin. On the leg of Thailand toward The South there is only one road (Hwy 4) to follow. Frequent refueling stops and places for food etc. Maybe aim to spend a night/day at Hua Hin or Cha am.

There are a few longs posts on Thai Visa about driving down this road South. I wrote one of them, PM me if you wish to read it but can not find it.

Some of the roads across Phuket can be a challenge to the novice driver, I am thinking of one between Patpong and the shopping complex (Central Festival?), I saw a few accidents there during the rains.

There is a police check point just as you drive onto the island after the bridge, I was never stopped there.

Edited by Cuban

thanks sooo much this is very helpfull :o

ok so best sort out IDP before we go then - i didnt know that it was an offence lucky i did ask these questions.

Cuban - I will certainly have a look for your post now, and as mentioned if no joy I will pm you - thanks so much again !

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to ask you why you guys want to drive from Bangkok to Phuket? Its pretty long run, for the first timer will take 10-11 hours for sure, plus few tanks of gasoline that gone mad lately. So you wasting your time driving, losing one day driving and sleeping after and paying gas that will be more expensive than air tickets. I did drive BKK-Phuket in the past and I'm not doing it anymore, too much trouble.

Just wanted to ask you why you guys want to drive from Bangkok to Phuket? Its pretty long run, for the first timer will take 10-11 hours for sure, plus few tanks of gasoline that gone mad lately. So you wasting your time driving, losing one day driving and sleeping after and paying gas that will be more expensive than air tickets. I did drive BKK-Phuket in the past and I'm not doing it anymore, too much trouble.

More expensive than air tickets ?? I don't think so..... Drive down most months in the Truck Isusu, just got the new 'Gold Series' and last week was the 1st trip in this truck. I live 50km North of BKK, drove to Phuket drove around the Island for 4 days and drove back, filled up 1x only so total cost using B5 fuel 2,000baht each way..... 2x air tickets are more than 2,000baht.

Stop off at Chumpon on the way, normal 380baht for the room...... but found 2km before out in the sticks a nice place, very good food cheap [had BEEF yes BEEF steak with veg, diet pepsi and 5 fish patties = 130baht] very nice large rooms, all on one floor Hotel 600baht.

Take care from Hua Hin to Chumpon as always many accidents, this trip 7. Check points are not a problem, just have your Drivers license and car papers handy, there not interested in your passport. paid 100baht once last year, and have been stopped many many times.

I have to go Chumpon - Ranong as have 2 stops to make that way going down, up and down over the mountains and best to do this part in the day time.

They wont getting diesel on their rented car i think, and it will take them 2 full tanks to get to Phuketx2000 baht each. But anyways, its more about safety and time lost then money saved/wasted. The want to drop the car in Phuket airport, that means they not gonna use it on the island anyway.

More expensive than air tickets ?? I don't think so..... Drive down most months in the Truck Isusu, just got the new 'Gold Series' and last week was the 1st trip in this truck. I live 50km North of BKK, drove to Phuket drove around the Island for 4 days and drove back, filled up 1x only so total cost using B5 fuel 2,000baht each way..... 2x air tickets are more than 2,000baht.

Stop off at Chumpon on the way, normal 380baht for the room...... but found 2km before out in the sticks a nice place, very good food cheap [had BEEF yes BEEF steak with veg, diet pepsi and 5 fish patties = 130baht] very nice large rooms, all on one floor Hotel 600baht.

Take care from Hua Hin to Chumpon as always many accidents, this trip 7. Check points are not a problem, just have your Drivers license and car papers handy, there not interested in your passport. paid 100baht once last year, and have been stopped many many times.

I have to go Chumpon - Ranong as have 2 stops to make that way going down, up and down over the mountains and best to do this part in the day time.

quote]

An IDP is accepted as vailid for three months while you are in Thailand.

Their prime target is illegal immigrants and lorries/trucks.

I suggest that you do not speak any Thai - make them do the work.

With this in mind keep a few 100s close to hand

If oncoming traffic flashes their headlights at you - it is tip that there are police ahead.

I believe that an International Driving Permit is valid for 1 year. (At least mine was.) You can get one in the USA at any AAA office. It generally takes about 10 minutes and if I recall it cost me about $10 3 or 4 years ago.

I always felt their prime target was anyone who could cough up a few baht for a brewski... :o

I agree, don't speak any Thai whatsoever even if you are a fluent speaker. I have played dumb before (not knowing any Thai, and most TV posters would think on more occasions than that) and it has gotten me let go without any fine at all.

Very good point on keeping a few 100 baht notes within reach. I have my stash area dedicated for this reason. Although I have it lined with 20 and 50 baht notes as the most I have ever had to pay is 100 baht. And I have been stopped at least 8 times in the past few years. (Mostly in Surin providence.)

As for 'flashing light', this is also the warning to keep out of my way....

Have a safe journey..... :D

I believe that an International Driving Permit is valid for 1 year. (At least mine was.) You can get one in the USA at any AAA office. It generally takes about 10 minutes and if I recall it cost me about $10 3 or 4 years ago.

An IDP is valid for 1 year as you say, but strictly speaking you can only use it in Thailand for 3 months from date of entry. If you leave the country then come back, that 3 months resets from scratch (as long as the IDP itself is still valid). In practice though I doubt it really matters much. :o

They wont getting diesel on their rented car i think, and it will take them 2 full tanks to get to Phuketx2000 baht each

Friday a guy on here has a 'new' Jazz and said he was getting 15.4km per lt, so if they hired a Jazz it would be around the same price as diesel to get there or cheaper..

Sometimes police checkpoints on Ranong's southern border though. If you decide to go via Surat Thani, ie carry on south past Chumpon. Be careful in Surat, the speed cops are always out there, so stick to 100KPH to be on the safe side

Dont forget rule 34 " keep left unless overtaking, the highway police love this one, except the left lane is usually crap and torn up by trucks.

I'll be driving down this Thursday to Phuket this way myself for the Thaivisa Party in Phuket at Friendship Beach Resort in Chalong.

so stick to 100KPH to be on the safe side

With the price of fuel driving between 80 - 100 saves a lot, and only takes an hour longer..

That time of the month again so off down there tomorrow for a week to 10days

Edited by ignis

so stick to 100KPH to be on the safe side

With the price of fuel driving between 80 - 100 saves a lot, and only takes an hour longer..

That time of the month again so off down there tomorrow for a week to 10days

On distances i get around 13l/100km at 90-100, at 120-140 i get around 10-11l/100km :o

• 2 weeks later...

Just back and did Phuket - Pattaya in 12 hours with about 1 hour torrential rain, down to 40kmh at stages.

Only stopped at a regular check point on the way back and they wanted to see what was in the foam box on the back seat, never asked for license, same on the way down, just stopped once asked where we were going, then on our way.

Averaged 8l/100km there and back, first tank on the way back got 6l/100km coming thru to Surat Thani from Phuket via Phang Nga.

The # 9 lower ring road cuts heaps of time out of the trip now, just hooks 35 and 7 up nicely.