Why Do People......

garro

Why do people feel the need to escape the West to come live in Thailand, but when they get here constantly find fault with things because they are different from the West? :o

Why do people feel the need to escape the West to come live in Thailand, but when they get here constantly find fault with things because they are different from the West? :o

actually it's the West that has escaped Garro! :D

actually it's the West that has escaped Garro! :D

When all is said and done, there is probably a lot of truth in what you say.

Loads of things piss me off in Thailand and the same in UK, are we just supposed to pretend what a wonderful place Thailand is just because we live here?

No, I just think it is funny is all.

When we come here first people often talk about how they admire the laid back attitude of the Thais.

After a few years though, we often want to kill Mr Somchai (or at least get him fired) because he is two minutes late delivering our Pizza.

And why do people have to think about what others do? lol....

Because my internet is too slow tonight to watch a video.

good point, but however you can always get busy with a escape game like this one http://www.escapetheroomgames.net/view/77/...s-Fun-House.htm

lol

editing this to say that the game wont keep you busy for more than 3 minutes, boooooooooooring one. :o

Edited by pop_corn

Loads of things piss me off in Thailand and the same in UK, are we just supposed to pretend what a wonderful place Thailand is just because we live here?

Because everyone has dreams the grass is greener on the other side. I think lots of people take the leap to live abroad but they are not 100% ready when they do. I think you need to come to peace with your country before leaving it. I love Thailand everyway. I love Australia as well but just a tinny little less.

When I am better off financially im moving my ass to singapor.

Let’s be honest, it’s the English who moan and, much as it galls me to admit that an Australian could be right about anything, there's an awful lot of truth in the stereotype of the whinging pom. Whinging is just a national habit, a reflex reaction to being alive.

Let’s be honest, it’s the English who moan and, much as it galls me to admit that an Australian could be right about anything, there's an awful lot of truth in the stereotype of the whinging pom. Whinging is just a national habit, a reflex reaction to being alive.

explain jingthing

its a good question

those who whinge about their old country

will whinge about this one - and the next...

its their nature

unhappy with themsleves wherever they go and blaming it on everyone/everywhere else

[they will whinge about this comment as well]

you can change locations

but you cant run away from yourself

you are always there, waiting

a trip back to the old country is a good tonic

check your smile when you get your passport back with that thai visa in it

what flashes thru your mind then - beaches, bars, warm nights, girls, food, smiles,

then see how much you complain

nowhere is perfect

no-one either

be thankful youre one of the lucky few who can get on a plane

and go live in another country

I don't know the answer to your question, but a lot of people come here with very unrealistic expectations of a millionaire lifestyle - then they feel cheated when expected to pay 10b for a bus ride.

the racism of bahtbus drivers is unbearable! :o

explain jingthing

Yes, fair enough - he is obviously a planet-sized hole in what I wrote. Though, in my defence, I think anyone who could explain jingthing would be up for some kind of international prize.

I don't know the answer to your question, but a lot of people come here with very unrealistic expectations of a millionaire lifestyle - then they feel cheated when expected to pay 10b for a bus ride.

:o

love this post.

I don't go finding faults - I discovered that faults tend to find me !

Seriously, no where is perfect. Why do I choose to prefer Thailand over my home country of England:-

1. Climate

2. It is cheaper - a cracking Thai meal for 2 with drinks 350 Baht.

3. Sex - there are not too many plaes where I can enjoy this pastime with someone 20 years younger than me.

4. My pension will go about 5 times further in Thailand.

Perm any one from four and it beats the UK hands down.

and your vision and discription of the stereotype of the citizen of the usa is???????????????????????????

Roygsd :o:D:D:D

They should always remember to wire their millions over before they arrive to avoid this problem with the bus ride.

[
Let's be honest, it's the English who moan and, much as it galls me to admit that an Australian could be right about anything, there's an awful lot of truth in the stereotype of the whinging pom. Whinging is just a national habit, a reflex reaction to being alive.

and your vision and discription of the stereotype of the citizen of the usa is?

Yep us ex-convicts are fully mindfull of our heritage but the DISCRIPTION of usa citizens seems to allude me at this moment....although i have visions!!

It doesn't make much sense to whine about the place you don't live at anymore. You have problems in front of you, so you complain about those. When it takes 6 months to get a license plate for your car, or someone almost runs over you because you stop at a red light. You obviously make comments about these irritations. Should I love the mosquitoes because they're Thai too?

Just a different place with different problems, more benefits but still plagued.

I complain because I have the intelligence to see disparity in things..

I complain because I routinely see interactions in this country that strike me as oxymoronic, idiosyncratic or on occasion a rare combination of both.

I complain because I am American. As the unofficially designated; 'keepers of the free world'; with that illustrious title comes the right to complain. (I think we also get a lapel pin too.)

I complain therefore I am.

Just so we've got our words straight;

whining: to complain with or as if with a whine (always whining about the weather)

whinging or whingeing: British : to complain fretfully

winging: to do or perform without preparation, to improvise (winging it)

It would seem the word 'winging' is out as far as 'whining', 'whinging' or 'whingeing' about things in the glorious "Land 'O Thais".

Great answer. I feel the same. Plenty of stuff back home I don't like, proabaly more than here, or I would be living back there. I am not going to follow everything like a sheep just because someone says its tradition.

Because cost of living in the 'West' is shit compared to Thailand, people from the West would make money and go to Thailand to build their own homes, start business or w/e because it's cheaper exchange rate, where else if they do it back home, they have to pay a lot of land tax, tax, rent or w/e. For example: You can build a house in Thailand for around $80,000 AUD or less in Thailand, where $80,000 would just give you a deposit on a 3 bedroom average house that is worth $350,000.