400k Per Year Versus 40k Per Month.

I've been banking 400,000 baht for my immigration O visa in recent years but I've decided to take out the 40,000 baht option for my next renewal. Is the 40,000 baht option the same procedure as the one year visa and how long must the monthly transfers begin prior to my visa application day.

If you have been using 400k and can continue to use it (grandfathered) you might want to continue to do so - but you must remember to have in account for the 3 months prior to application.

If you use 40k per month family income anything from overseas must be confirmed by your Embassy in a letter - there is no option to make 40k deposits into a bank account. If money is local from spouse tax payments must be presented to prove the income.

Other than the financial proof the procedures/documents are the same.

If you have been using 400k and can continue to use it (grandfathered) you might want to continue to do so - but you must remember to have in account for the 3 months prior to application.

If you use 40k per month family income anything from overseas must be confirmed by your Embassy in a letter - there is no option to make 40k deposits into a bank account. If money is local from spouse tax payments must be presented to prove the income.

Thanks lopburi 3, between my wife and myself we have no local income, all our money is transferred from Australia via my Aust bank to my Thai bank. I realise in the case of the 400k it must be in my Thai bank account at least 90 days prior to the day of my renewal application, does this same 90 day period or something similar apply to 40k monthly incomes. Thanks.

Thanks lopburi 3, between my wife and myself we have no local income, all our money is transferred from Australia via my Aust bank to my Thai bank. I realise in the case of the 400k it must be in my Thai bank account at least 90 days prior to the day of my renewal application, does this same 90 day period or something similar apply to 40k monthly incomes. Thanks.

No. If you are using the 40,000 income you will need a letter from your Embassy certifying your income.

I've been banking 400,000 baht for my immigration O visa in recent years but I've decided to take out the 40,000 baht option for my next renewal. Is the 40,000 baht option the same procedure as the one year visa and how long must the monthly transfers begin prior to my visa application day.

When I got my Multy O I showed my taxpapers from my homecountry and copy of my bankstatements and I got my Visa in 30 min.

When I got my Multy O I showed my taxpapers from my homecountry and copy of my bankstatements and I got my Visa in 30 min.

He is talking about a years extension not a Non O Visa.

Yes, if possible the OP should stick with the bank deposit route for as long as possible! Once changed to monthly income he may not be able to get back to this route if need be!

Also using the 40K monthly income from abroad requires more (expensive - charges by embassy) documentation.

opalhort

My wife is farang. We each have a retirement "O" visa, continuously, since 1996. How do we go about getting 'certified' so that we renew with a 400,000 baht bank balance each? Up to now, we had 800,000 each, but it is geting tougher and tougher, as we have been buying a couple of apartments for rental purposes. Thanks, Pat.

Retirement has no 400k option - each requires 800k. But if you have a legal marriage and live together only one has to have the retirement option (800k) and the other can extend as there spouse without financial requirement. Retirement uses section 7.21 and spouse uses section 7.19 of Police Order 606/2006.

Dont know what happened to my original post....screen just went blank then I got a system error message??

Anyway,I'm reading this topic with interest because I'm currently on a Non-Immigrant O Multi entry visa which expires in September.

I'm married to a Thai national and want to extend it as a marriage visa.I've been and had a chat with Immigration and I've only got the option of 40k per month,in a Thai bank account for 3 months,not the 400k in a bank account.

No problem with that but a question somebody might be able to help me with....

I've got to go to the British Embassy to get a letter of certification of my monthly income but also I've got to get the Embassy stamp verified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs Consular Department at Chang Wattana Road Bangkok.

Is it easy to get the Embassy stamp verified at Wattana Road ?

How long does it take to get the certification letter from the British Embassy ?

I live in Isaan,not Bangkok,so how long should I allow to get these two things sorted.....1 day,2 days ??

I'm planning to get all the paperwork,visa requirements done about one month before my visa expires and then submit my application to Immigration.

Thanks for any information.

Who told you that? When did they tell you that? Where did they tell you that?

That was a rumor from Pattaya last year but do not believe it is currently a requirement anywhere.

Edit: I am talking about the MFA stamp - sorry if that was not clear.

Who told you that? When did they tell you that? Where did they tell you that?

That was a rumor from Pattaya last year but do not believe it is currently a requirement anywhere.

Edit: I am talking about the MFA stamp - sorry if that was not clear.

lopburi3,

I did my 90 day visa run at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai on Wednesday (11th June).

On the way back to Udon I called in at the Immigration Office at Nong Khai and asked if they had a list of the requirements for a Marriage visa.

They have given me a typed list of the requirements....no.4 out of 10 requirements is the letter of certification from the Embassy whose stamp needs to be verified bythe MFA.

The staff were very friendly and I did query this point with them.They told me that the MFA bit was a requirement.....it is typed up in black and white.

I should maybe point out that I will not be working in Thailand but have made arrangements for a monthly sum to be transferred to my Thai bank account if that makes a difference.

I'm 54 years old and have been married to my Thai wife for nearly 4 years.In that period we've split our time between Thailand and the UK but now want to make the move to Thailand permanent.

We got married in Thailand and,am I right in thinking,that had to be verified at the MFA a few years back ?

Cheers.

The do seem to play to there own drummer in Nong Khai. Wonder if they also require for retirement? It is a big additional requirement and for those outside Bangkok it seem very draconian.

Yes,going to the Embassy is bad enough but this is another hurdle.

Can you just turn up at the Embassy and get your letter of verification the same day ?

I'm just wondering if I'll need to allow a couple of days to get these two things sorted......including a night in Bangkok ?

The do seem to play to there own drummer in Nong Khai. Wonder if they also require for retirement? It is a big additional requirement and for those outside Bangkok it seem very draconian.

Yes.indeed,this MFA stamp of verification is a new request from Imm.Nong Khai.Was never asked the last 5 years!

Hope for info from other posters.BTW,mylast extension was in January :o

Nong Khai immigration always change the rules and their requirements...It's a MESS over there. Korat is more objective, even if I heard some "rumors"... nobody is perfect and I can't confirm anything.

Korat immigration has moved last year.

They are now about 6 km AFTER the bridge near Sima Thani Hotel (if you are coming front Khon Kaen) of the main intersection on the road nr. 2 to Bangkok (left side).

From 'The Mall', it will be 10 km. They are in the TOT building, first floor.

North Eastern Region Immigration Center

TOT Public Co. Ltd. Office

118 Moo 10, Mitraphap Road,

Tambon Khok Kruat,

Amphoe Muang,

Nakhon Ratchasima 30280

Thailand

New phone number: 044465342

Why don't you can them, verify who you talk to, ask the requirements and chose where to do it... I don't think you need the stamp for the MFA... :o But I might be wrong on that. They change often the rules.

Nong Khai immigration always change the rules and their requirements...It's a MESS over there. Korat is more objective, even if I heard some "rumors"... nobody is perfect and I can't confirm anything.

Korat immigration has moved last year.

They are now about 6 km AFTER the bridge near Sima Thani Hotel (if you are coming front Khon Kaen) of the main intersection on the road nr. 2 to Bangkok (left side).

From 'The Mall', it will be 10 km. They are in the TOT building, first floor.

North Eastern Region Immigration Center

TOT Public Co. Ltd. Office

118 Moo 10, Mitraphap Road,

Tambon Khok Kruat,

Amphoe Muang,

Nakhon Ratchasima 30280

Thailand

New phone number: 044465342

Why don't you can them, verify who you talk to, ask the requirements and chose where to do it... I don't think you need the stamp for the MFA... :o But I might be wrong on that. They change often the rules.

OK,thanks for the info on Korat.I'll give them a call.

The Korat office is an option as my wife was born there and we go from time to time.

The thing with Nong Khai is its convenience from Udon,only 40 minutes by car and a bit of a day out drinking an ice cool Lao beer by the Mekhong. :D

But if I'm gonna have to spend extra time in Bangkok chasing around just to meet their requirements it might not be worth it.

I'll weigh up the available options.....cheers.

No. If you are using the 40,000 income you will need a letter from your Embassy certifying your income.

Don't forget for marriage visa you can use both money in the bank and income from abroad.

example:

THB. 200,000 in the bank and and yearly income of THB 280,000 will suffice.

or THB 100,000 in bank and THB 380,000 income,

As long as both come to THB 480,000 i.e. - THB 40,000 x 12 months = THB 480,000

This isn't a PM but glad to try and help. It is really up to you as once over age 50 you are free to use the retirement option if you wish but if you are not going to be in Thailand for more than a few weeks it would probably not make good sense.

Assuming you are a married couple you will have a choice to obtain an OA and O in London (assume you only want to use one 800k or 65k financial?) or just obtain non immigrant O for both and do the extension of stay for retirement/spouse after you arrive in Thailand.

Don't forget for marriage visa you can use both money in the bank and income from abroad.

example:

I do not think that is correct.

According to the police order 606/2549.

If he does not have the family income he / they must have 400,000 in the bank.

For those Grandfathered.

7.17 (6)

example:

For those Grandfathered.

7.17 (6)

iam planning to marry my thai gf. So what is needed now? Is it a 400k baht in bank AND a monthly 40,000 baht income?

Opps i read it, it is 400k baht OR monthly 40,000 baht income of both party :o

Edited by Bkkthebest

You may find if you are earning income here and its under a work permit, Immigration may ask you for the minimum monthly salary for a person from your country working here, 50,000 (depends which country you are from) rather than the 40,000 per month.

example:

For those Grandfathered.

7.17 (6)

Hi Lite Beer,

Its quite correct, I used to show THB 200,000 until the amount changed I now have a choice:

show THB 400,000 in bank, show THB 40,000 a month or a combination of. Forget the grandfathering there is no such thing anymore. At the moment I show pension and a small amount in bank.

Anyone marrying a Thai now and wants to live in Thailand will have the same choice.

Also as of this month Thailand is starting to implement that you go to your local immigration to renew your visa.

example:

For those Grandfathered.

7.17 (6)

Hi Lite Beer,

Its quite correct, I used to show THB 200,000 until the amount changed I now have a choice:

show THB 400,000 in bank, show THB 40,000 a month or a combination of. Forget the grandfathering there is no such thing anymore. At the moment I show pension and a small amount in bank.

Anyone marrying a Thai now and wants to live in Thailand will have the same choice.

Also as of this month Thailand is starting to implement that you go to your local immigration to renew your visa.

I do not know where you get your extensions but that is not the rule.

Everyone in the system before October 2006 are grandfathered and will continue to be the way things stand at the moment.

The requirement for family extension of stay is 40k per month family income. There is no change if you are working here - it is still 40k. The change would be if you obtained extension of stay on the basis of work (which you do not want to do in most cases) and that would require the income of nationality.

400k in bank account has been grandfathered to those who have been using it and continues to be.

The requirement for family extension of stay is 40k per month family income. There is no change if you are working here - it is still 40k. The change would be if you obtained extension of stay on the basis of work (which you do not want to do in most cases) and that would require the income of nationality.

400k in bank account has been grandfathered to those who have been using it and continues to be.

Thanks for that. Maybe a case of a local maverick office making up their own rules.

example:

For those Grandfathered.

7.17 (6)

Hi Lite Beer,

I do not know where you get your extensions but that is not the rule.

Everyone in the system before October 2006 are grandfathered and will continue to be the way things stand at the moment.

I've been here since 1995, and I still say the above is correct, because that's what I use every Year, in Pattaya, Chiang Mai and May Sot. May Sot being the easiest and friendliest office.