Opera 9.5 Released

Guest Reimar

Guest Reimar

Opera, an other alternative Internet Browser, has released it latest Version 9.5 today. This latest released can be downloaded from Opera Homepage: http://www.opera.com

Interesting is that the performance from Opera 9.5 is quite a bit higher than Firefox 3 RC3. The Index for Firefox is 71/100 while for Opera 83/100.

This test everybody can do by using the following URL: http://acid3.acidtests.org/

Opera has it's own advantages while Firefox has others. Surfing on the Web is faster with Opera than with Firefox and a lot faster than with IE7 and even IE8 Beta.

May you guys give Opera a Testrun.

By the way, the size of the download is 8,8 MB, so not a big deal.

Cheers.

Great, I have been using Opera ever since I stopped using Netscape. It is sad how low the current percentage of users for Opera is. Opera has all the features while you have to search for all kinds of plugins for Firefox to even get close to the same functionality ...

Guest Reimar

Just done a test with: Opera 9.5, Firefox 3 RC3, IE7 and IE8 Beta

Acid Result:

1. Oprea 9.5 = 83/100

2. Firefox 3 RC 3 = 71/100

3. IE7 = 12/100

4. IE8 Beta = 19/100

May you do your own test's.

I will move back to Opera becaus is a lot faster as all other.

Cheers.

Guest Reimar

Acid Result:

1. Oprea 9.5 = 83/100

3. IE7 = 12/100

4. IE8 Beta = 19/100

Cheers.

I have been using Opera for 4 years already but then I was never one to follow the herd. Back then everyone used Internet Explorer by default and the same can be said about Firefox. Nowadays Firefox has become the "de facto" browser when in actuality its not "de best".

Opera was superior then and is superior now. Best of all its free and really deserves more "unblinkered" supporters

JAF

I like Firefox but it had glitches on my desktop. The strange thing is that it works well on my laptop. I have been using Firefox since the beta came out, I have not had any problems up to 3 R2. Now the glitches are back. ???? I was also using the Opera beta and have now made Opera 9.5 my default browser.

Acid Result:

1. Oprea 9.5 = 83/100

3. IE7 = 12/100

4. IE8 Beta = 19/100

Cheers.

I've done a silly experiment(bandwidth test).

According to test "Opera" gets lowest bandwith.

Safari=876-890 kbps

Forefox=872-888 kbps

I/E=872-874-905 kbps

Opera=813-835 kbps

note: I'm on maxnet indy 1mb connection.

To get above results, I did test for 5 times for each browser.

I did it out of curiosity, nothing more. :o

JC

Edited by Jumbo chilli

I've always loved Opera, especially for its being an email and browser in one. All the others have (afik) 2 separate programmes...

What I haven't found yet in Opera 9.5 is the shortcut to hide opera in the Windoze system tray. CTRL+H doesn't do the trick any longer!

Oh, and as I type this, the Opera forum solves my quest: SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+H - long sequence... :o

Guest Reimar

Acid Result:

1. Oprea 9.5 = 83/100

3. IE7 = 12/100

4. IE8 Beta = 19/100

Cheers.

I've done a silly experiment(bandwidth test).

According to test "Opera" gets lowest bandwith.

Safari=876-890 kbps

Forefox=872-888 kbps

I/E=872-874-905 kbps

Opera=813-835 kbps

note: I'm on maxnet indy 1mb connection.

To get above results, I did test for 5 times for each browser.

I did it out of curiosity, nothing more. :o

JC

ACID 3D is doing 100 different test's and the result ist how many test are passed from that 100. A single test even if is done several times didn't give you an overall figure.

Cheers.

Using Opera since ver.3 or so, best developed browser ever.

But difficult, still looking for AMD64 bit version/Ubuntu hardy...

...Happy, now the official built on Opera's download page...

Edited by siamshot

I still do not see any spell check ability as you have in Firefox or good add on as in IE. Am I missing it?

I use one called Aspell. It works well. Not quite as handy because you have to click edit and choose "check spelling". It then checks the entire document. When replying to posts, it will check ALL the words unless you highlight what you want checked.

Above was checked using add reply and right click has "check spelling" that quickly checked it. No "edit" was required. And now I have used fast reply and got the "check spelling" option on a right click this time.

I've always used Opera and just upgraded to 9.5. My main complaints with Opera is that you can't highlight text with pictures then copy and paste into a document such as Microsoft Word. The text is transferred, but no pictures and not in the website (I think HTML) format. This is easily done in IE7. I also don't like the lack of built-in spell checking, however I love the TAB feature and the ability to save multiple sessions.

Pattayadavid

After two days find can not view account data on Chase website for some reason (it a java pop up PDF page) and works in both IE7 and Firefox. PDF is working so don't know what the problem is.

Have had two total crashes today - nothing on screen would remove/close/stop the browser. Had to use task manager in Vista to end operation (supposedly was awaiting command). Both of these were when built in bittorent was active so suspect that was likely the causing factor and will not be using that again. Have never had a program lock up access on Vista before so am not impressed.

Will not go to last viewed message until all TV items are loaded and a Google add page was been down most of the day so taking forever to read each message.

Above said will continue to use as so far have liked most features.

What i have noticed a few times is. That when i click fast reply. If i then click in the box. It can SOMETIMES go to the ad belows webpage. This has only happened since my upgrade. No biggy. But you just have to be aware of it.

I also had that happen a number of times - especially when trying to re-position the courser. I have now turned it off and returned to Firefox 3 as it was taking far to long to display last unread post - at least with Firefox it loads the message immediately and you can start reading even though it has not completed downloading everything.

Opera did display immigration website pop ups correctly - Firefox requires IE mode to do it.