What's The Best Honorary Consulate In The U.s. To Get Non O One Year

First off great site, I have been on the email list for awhile but this is my first post. My wife and I are from the U.S. and are planning on moving to Chiangmai in mid-September. Between 2001 and 2004 I spent about two and a half years in LOS and have not been back since 2004, it seems a lot has changed since then.

1. Does anybody know which honorary consulate in the U.S. would be the best to apply for the non O one year visas as I have heard some are better than others?

2. Will they issue most people the one year non O, or do you have to meet any specifics? My wife has a four year degree from a California University in Education and wants to teach in Chiangmai but in the U.S. the 4-year Bachelor's Degree in Liberal Studies (the degree that 90 percent of the teachers in the U.S. are teaching with) does not actually contain the word "education" and as she is finishing school this year she is not "already a teacher in her home country". So rather than go and be turned down under the new educational requirements for teaching she has opted to do a Master's Degree in Education online through a university back in the States. So no help there (at least for a year or two) until she has the word "education" in one of her degrees and can begin teaching. I have a small online store in the States and want to start purchasing a few odds and ends in Thailand for my online store, but again probably no help there.

3. If we can't get the one year what is the longest alternative we can get?

4. We fly out on September 15, so should we apply now for the visas or should we wait until we are closer to the departure date? And how long will it take for our passports to be returned if we have to send them out of state?

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. As you do not appear to be over age 50 it may be hard to find - I would ask in Texas first.

2. Nothing useful I see - but be aware you can not work in Thailand without a work permit.

3. 60 day tourist visa. Perhaps several entry.

4. August would be plenty of time - remember visa validity starts date approved. Two weeks should be plenty of time for issue/return (normally just a couple of days).

1. As you do not appear to be over age 50 it may be hard to find - I would ask in Texas first.

2. Nothing useful I see - but be aware you can not work in Thailand without a work permit.

4. August would be plenty of time - remember visa validity starts date approved. Two weeks should be plenty of time for issue/return (normally just a couple of days).

Houston is the go.

I always thought it had something to do with the state you live in. When living in CA you should apply in L.A. etc. Anyway, if this is not the case than I can certainly recommend Portland, OR. Check them out under www.thai-or.com

For her degree I would say that it will be ok as long as she can provide some reference letters from other schools, where she worked before. May be a legal translation of her degree with a stamp from a Thai Consulate might help too. I wouldnt be to concerned as Female Teachers are rather easier to hire.

Good luck

I always thought it had something to do with the state you live in. When living in CA you should apply in L.A. etc. Anyway, if this is not the case than I can certainly recommend Portland, OR. Check them out under www.thai-or.com

For her degree I would say that it will be ok as long as she can provide some reference letters from other schools, where she worked before. May be a legal translation of her degree with a stamp from a Thai Consulate might help too. I wouldnt be to concerned as Female Teachers are rather easier to hire.

Good luck

I will 2nd the recommendation of Portland Oregon... It has been several years ago, but I obtained 3 1 year Visa's from them in a row... Always found them to be efficient, friendly and totally cooperative.... Now on Retirement and don't need to worry about it...

Pianoman

Houston is the go.

I agree. Houston was great.

I know Houston is good for B (business) visas, if you have the necessary supporting invitation paperwork from Thailand...

But I don't recall hearing any reports about their willingness to issue O visas just for longer-term visits, absent some other normally qualifying factor, such as marriage to a Thai, etc...

Like to hear about that...if anyone has O visa experience in either Portland or Houston...

I had 2 Non-Immigrant Type O visas issued from the Honorary Thai Consulate in Denver, but last year when I needed my 3rd one they balked. I certainly don't meet any of the criteria and never have but they issued them never the less. This time they said, "we are following the rules now" and wouldn't do it.

I called 9 of the 12 other Honorary Consulates in the US and not one would issue me the N/I Type-O; although most would issue a triple entry tourist visa, which with the extensions available here would have given me nearly 9 months.

A friend from Texas couldn't get a N/I Type O from Houston two months ago. He ended up mailing his passport to a friend of his in the UK and got it from Hull without a problem.

Let us know if you have luck getting one, as it'd be good to know the 'soft touch' consulates in the US

I had 2 Non-Immigrant Type O visas issued from the Honorary Thai Consulate in Denver, but last year when I needed my 3rd one they balked. I certainly don't meet any of the criteria and never have but they issued them never the less. This time they said, "we are following the rules now" and wouldn't do it.

I called 9 of the 12 other Honorary Consulates in the US and not one would issue me the N/I Type-O; although most would issue a triple entry tourist visa, which with the extensions available here would have given me nearly 9 months.

A friend from Texas couldn't get a N/I Type O from Houston two months ago. He ended up mailing his passport to a friend of his in the UK and got it from Hull without a problem.

Let us know if you have luck getting one, as it'd be good to know the 'soft touch' consulates in the US

I also got rejected by Denver but I was able to get my NI type O from the Alabama consulate last October. I'm over 50 so I had no problem but if you aren't, I don't know how strict they are with the new limited requirements of the visa.

I also got rejected by Denver but I was able to get my NI type O from the Alabama consulate last October. I'm over 50 so I had no problem but if you aren't, I don't know how strict they are with the new limited requirements of the visa.

Hello, Everyone

I 'm new here, my first post.

I'm planning to go to Bangkok Thailand within the next few months or so.

Visa thing is all new to me. First time using US Passport.

I would like to stay as long as I can up to 90 days.

From reading your post, I can apply for visa in Denver instead of L.A. or Washington D.C.

Would you happen to have their website.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

Hello, Everyone

From reading your post, I can apply for visa in Denver instead of L.A. or Washington D.C.

A simple single-entry tourist visa will provide for 90 days... a double-entry tourist visa can be used for 180 days if you wish to be extra-cautionary. No need for the added expense of a non-immigrant visa by your plans.

The tourist visas are easily obtained, unlike the non-immigrant visas, from the embassy/consulate nearest to your location.

Edited by sriracha john

Hello, Everyone

Not aware of a web site but contact information can be found with Google.

Why applying for the O visa...when you're over 50.... A retirement visa or extension would seem a more convenient route????

For me a type O was easier in the US. No financial proof, police and medical reports. But getting a retirement extension here in LOS will be a lot easier so that's what I'll be doing next.

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL 1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200 DENVER, CO 80204 Tel : (303) 892-0118 Fax : (303) 892-0119 E-mail : [email protected] Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Donald W. RingbyThe full list of Thai consulates/honorary consulates in on the Washington D.C. Thai Embassy's web site.

fyi...I noticed today that the contact info for the Houston consulate (phone, suite and zip extension), as shown there, has changed somewhat from a year ago when I last contacted them.

ROYAL THAI CONSULATE-GENERAL 1123 AURARIA PKWY, SUITE 200 DENVER, CO 80204 Tel : (303) 892-0118 Fax : (303) 892-0119 E-mail : [email protected] Honorary Consul-General, Mr. Donald W. RingbyThe full list of Thai consulates/honorary consulates in on the Washington D.C. Thai Embassy's web site.

fyi...I noticed today that the contact info for the Houston consulate (phone, suite and zip extension), as shown there, has changed somewhat from a year ago when I last contacted them.

Thank you for the info. Stop by the office yesterday, show them my documents, everything is okay for my 90 days visa. Bought the tickets I reserved today.

Will be in BKK one month from now.

Thanks again :o:D:D

DENVER, CO 80204

Thank you for the info. Stop by the office yesterday, show them my documents, everything is okay for my 90 days visa. Bought the tickets I reserved today.

Will be in BKK one month from now.

Thanks again :o:D:D

Congrats.

As I said, a TOURIST visa is much easier to obtain from anywhere than the title of the thread.

Interesting. What info did they require you submit? Pension statement?

Since this was not an O-A visa, presumbably no medical or police statements were required?

Regarding your wife's degree and her chances of teaching in Chiang Mai: the schools here are not requiring some of the qualifications such as a B.Ed, or a BA in Liberal Studies. If your wife never gets certified in the USA as a teacher, she will still have taken the courses for education. She might get hired by one of the middle tier international schools here, but there are few openings and mid-September is poor timing. She might get picked up by a good private or EP program, but again the timing is not ideal. And going to work for a run-of-the-mill government school (most of which are very poorly managed) might be a disaster. I suggest she get a TEFL certificate (I was asked for mine at an interview today, after many years of teaching in Asia), and be very careful about accepting the first job offer. Good luck.

I have always used Portland, as they are the closest to my home. I've never had a problem, but a friend who went there recently was suddenly required to demonstrate sufficient funds for the the one year stay. Don't quiz me on the details, it wasn't that recent, but was a bit of a change from the norm there. Might check Houston first, since everyone seems to be giving them the thumbs up. Also, do not get your visa until a week or so before you plan to travel. The expiration date of the visa is exactly 365 days from the date of issuance. Once you are in Thailand, if you go on a Border run to Burma or Laos on the last few days before it expires, you get 90 more days in Thailand. Altogether, 15 months from the 1 year visa.

Cheers,

jn

edit: I have had heard good things about the Alabama consulate too.

Edited by johnnynmonic

I was refused a nonimmigrant O from Houston with my Thai marriage certificate. They told me they can't read Thai and to go get a translation and then they would consider it.

Good luck

I will 2nd the recommendation of Portland Oregon... It has been several years ago, but I obtained 3 1 year Visa's from them in a row... Always found them to be efficient, friendly and totally cooperative.... Now on Retirement and don't need to worry about it...

Pianoman

Indeed. PDX is painless. I got my 1yr non-O in Feb. $100 and 5min is all it took.

I was refused a nonimmigrant O from Houston with my Thai marriage certificate. They told me they can't read Thai and to go get a translation and then they would consider it.

Sweet!!!!

I can appreciate that. They are Honorary consuls after all. Speaking the language isn't a requirement and some probably haven't even been to LOS. Apart from the full Thai Embassy, full Consuls (there are only 3 in the US; Chicago, Los Angeles & New York) should be able to handle Thai language documents but translations are pretty much the norm so better to pack them for next time.

I had a 1-year B issued in Houston last October. Application was supported with a letter from one of my clients in Bangkok. They may have changed the policy so interested to hear if anyone has successfully obtained the same recently.

I got a one year multiple entry, non immigrant O visa from Houston just recently. I did have to get my marriage certificate translated, but once done, the visa was issued within a day.

The people in the consulate are very helpful, and as long as the paperwork is in order, will issue the visa without any problem. There is no requirement to show how much you have in a Thai bank, and once you have the marriage certificate translated, you can use it every year.

I know that I will go back there if I am in Houston again.