Vaccinations

moneyshot

Anyone with some knowledge of children's vaccines?

We have a two month old son and he has already had a Tuberculosis (BCG) and Hepatitis B (HBV1) shot at birth.

At 1 month he had a second Hepatitis B (HBV2) shot.

At 2 months he had a combined shot of Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio (DTaP+P) and Haemophilus Influenzae type B (Hib1)...

Now they have these optional vaccines for Pneumococcus Conjugate Vaccine (PCV) which requires 4 doses over a year at a cost of 4,500 baht a shot so 18,000 all up.

And, Rotavirus vaccine (Rota) which requires 2 shots at a cost of 2,500 each...

Did anyone else opt for the PCV and Rota vaccines or does anyone know how necessary they are? I don't mind paying if its worth it but I would rather not just give my money away to the hospital unless it's essential.

Thanks. :o

Anyone with some knowledge of children's vaccines?

We have a two month old son and he has already had a Tuberculosis (BCG) and Hepatitis B (HBV1) shot at birth.

At 1 month he had a second Hepatitis B (HBV2) shot.

At 2 months he had a combined shot of Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Polio (DTaP+P) and Haemophilus Influenzae type B (Hib1)...

Now they have these optional vaccines for Pneumococcus Conjugate Vaccine (PCV) which requires 4 doses over a year at a cost of 4,500 baht a shot so 18,000 all up.

And, Rotavirus vaccine (Rota) which requires 2 shots at a cost of 2,500 each...

Did anyone else opt for the PCV and Rota vaccines or does anyone know how necessary they are? I don't mind paying if its worth it but I would rather not just give my money away to the hospital unless it's essential.

Thanks. :o

hmmm well there are many ... my doctor suggested the rotavirus... so we got it.... I think I am glad we did as some children up the street from us got the virus and nearly died from the water loss due to diarrhea... I have a book that shows all the vaccines we have gotten to date.... will check on the PCV... seems like I would have remembered something so expensive... so I am guessing no... but give me a day or so and I will update you on that as well...

Last Friday we went for our daughter, 2 months old, vaccines.

We were given the same choices as you, except the hospital had all vaccine packaged, ie paid one time for all vaccines until she is 12 months old.

Prices are similar to those you gave (5000 for rotavirus (2 times) and 4 shots for PCV, a bit more than 4000 / shot).

Doctor recommended rotavirus, as it is a virus which is quite common, and even if mortality/morbidity is not very high, having a sick child is a real pain.

For IPV, she said it was really up to us, now it's part of the vaccination program in the US. It prevents some form of meningitis and otitis, but she could not tell us how prevalent this virus is in Thailand. I decided to take it.

From what I later found over the internet it protects agains the pneumococcus virus, but the vaccine "has only a limited coverage of serotypes causing serious pneumococcal infections in most developing countries."

So I don't really know if it's necessary/useful in Thailand.

Maybe you can also ask the question in the medical forum.

Cheers Yeti,

I almost just had all the shots given but decided not to as the Doctor couldn't really elaborate on how necessary they were apart from the its standard in the US and most people in Thailand nowadays have them done. At almost 20,000 baht I doubt too many Thai kids would be vaccinated with PCV.

I will ask the question over in the medical forum to see if anyone knows more.

Thanks again for your input. :o

Why does a baby need a Hepatitis B vaccine at birth?

I could only think that it would be important if the mother has Hepatitis B or someone in the family maybe, but otherwise, can anyone explain how a baby can get Hepatitis B?

Last Friday we went for our daughter, 2 months old, vaccines.

We were given the same choices as you, except the hospital had all vaccine packaged, ie paid one time for all vaccines until she is 12 months old.

Prices are similar to those you gave (5000 for rotavirus (2 times) and 4 shots for PCV, a bit more than 4000 / shot).

Doctor recommended rotavirus, as it is a virus which is quite common, and even if mortality/morbidity is not very high, having a sick child is a real pain.

For IPV, she said it was really up to us, now it's part of the vaccination program in the US. It prevents some form of meningitis and otitis, but she could not tell us how prevalent this virus is in Thailand. I decided to take it.

From what I later found over the internet it protects agains the pneumococcus virus, but the vaccine "has only a limited coverage of serotypes causing serious pneumococcal infections in most developing countries."

So I don't really know if it's necessary/useful in Thailand.

Maybe you can also ask the question in the medical forum.

After asking in the medical forum, turns out the PCV would be beneficial anywhere, so a small price to pay for preventing any unnecessary illness for the little one.

Why does a baby need a Hepatitis B vaccine at birth?

I could only think that it would be important if the mother has Hepatitis B or someone in the family maybe, but otherwise, can anyone explain how a baby can get Hepatitis B?

There are three basic reasons for recommending that all infants receive hepatitis B vaccine, starting at birth.

First, babies and young children have a very high risk for developing chronic HBV infection if they become infected at a young age.

It is estimated that about 1 out of 3 of the nearly 1 million Americans with chronic HBV infection acquired their infection as infants or young children. Those with chronic HBV infection are most likely to spread the infection to others. Infants and children who become chronically infected have an increased risk of dying prematurely from liver cancer or cirrhosis.

In contrast to other vaccine-preventable diseases of childhood, HBV infection in infants and young children usually produces no symptoms. Thus, the small number of reported cases of hepatitis B among children represents the tip of the iceberg of all HBV infections in children. For every child with symptoms of hepatitis B, there are at least 100 HBV-infected children with no symptoms---hence the increased risk to spread the infection to others without knowing it.

Second, early childhood infection occurs. About 16,000 children under 10 years of age were infected with HBV every year in the United States before routine infant hepatitis B vaccination was recommended. Although these infections represented few of all HBV infections in the United States, it is estimated that 18 out of 100 people with chronic HBV infection in the United States acquired their infection during early childhood. Clearly, infections occur among unvaccinated infants born to mothers who are not HBV-infected. In addition, unvaccinated foreign-born children account for a high proportion of infections. More effort needs to be placed on vaccinating these unprotected children.

Most early childhood spread of HBV occurs in households where a person has chronic HBV infection, but the spread of HBV has also been recognized in daycare centers and schools. The most probable ways children become infected with HBV are from skin puncture (e.g., biting) or from having their mucous membranes or cuts and scratches come in contact with infectious body fluids from an HBV-infected person. HBV remains infectious for at least seven days outside the body and can be found on and spread through sharing of inanimate objects such as washcloths or toothbrushes.

Third, long-term protection following infant vaccination is expected to last for decades and will ultimately protect against acquiring infection at any age.

source: http://www.vaccineinformation.org/hepb/qandavax.asp

I work in vaccines at a comapny whose vaccines your child will have had already

I can tell you our Thai staff who work in research have had the Hib vaccine and that is from another company - they get inter-company discount somehow but still paid the 18k

The rotavirus vaccine is also a good idea - the take up here in Singapore has not been too high because parents will not pay for it but all the Dr's I know who worked on that research had their children vaccinated and paid for it.

The Thai vaccine schedule is somewhere on my PC - its the govt compulsort plus the Thai Paediatric Association reccomended list - I will try to attach it

Thai___EPI.xls

I work in vaccines at a comapny whose vaccines your child will have had already

I can tell you our Thai staff who work in research have had the Hib vaccine and that is from another company - they get inter-company discount somehow but still paid the 18k

The rotavirus vaccine is also a good idea - the take up here in Singapore has not been too high because parents will not pay for it but all the Dr's I know who worked on that research had their children vaccinated and paid for it.

The Thai vaccine schedule is somewhere on my PC - its the govt compulsort plus the Thai Paediatric Association reccomended list - I will try to attach it

Cheers mate,

That schedule is the same as in our hospital book.

• 1 month later...

My child has already got three IPV - shots at 4-5 k each. I asked the doctor if PCV was needed also, he said 'No need, same same'. He also said that Rota vaccine was not given to children aged over 9 monts.

The hospital (Aek Udon) never offered a package, but seems to (more or less) follow a list in a 'baby book' handed to us (It is in 'thinglish' and from 'Mead Johnson Nutritionals').

Any advice, please.

IPV Hib is to protect against diphteria, pertussis, polio and haemophilus influenza type B.

PCV is against pneumococcal virus, responsible for pneumonia and other disease, so no, not "same, same".

Wether you want to insist to get this virus for your child is up to you.

As for rotavirus it seems that 9 month is too old to get it. From WHO position paper on rotavirus:

"The Rotarix™ vaccine is administered orally in a 2-dose schedule to infants of approximately 2 and 4 months of age. The first dose can already be administered at the age of 6 weeks and should be given no later than at the age of 12 weeks. The interval between the 2 doses should be at least 4 weeks. The 2-dose schedule should be completed by age 16 weeks, and no later than by 24 weeks of age."

i suppose what you have to ask yourself is where you draw the line at cutting corners. i agree that the some of the payments hurt, especially the PCV, by my old GP in canada recommended it as well.

As for the rota, i dont remeber that one.

Edited by t.s

Thanks.

I've been checking the book and the net (never trust a doctor or three of them who's rotating and really don not know the child).

It turns out that the vaccine that I called IPV is written IPD in the child's book. When checking I found out that the brand is Prevnar - and this is thye PCV vaccine. The reason she was given three (not four) is because we started late.

It now seems she has got vaccines for diptheria, pertussis, tetanus, polio, hepatitis B, japanese encephalitis, (bcg & tuberculin test), measles, mumps, rubella and pneumoccal infection. Rotavirus seems to be too late, but I will give her a shot for chickenpox.

Anything I have forgotten or should do?

Thanks

• 1 month later...

I've been reading about the dangers and adverse effects of vaccination for babies and children - e.g. Autism, neurological disorders etc. Haven't done a thorough research but are all the vaccines that are recommended really necessary?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

• 1 year later...
I've been reading about the dangers and adverse effects of vaccination for babies and children - e.g. Autism, neurological disorders etc. Haven't done a thorough research but are all the vaccines that are recommended really necessary?

What are your thoughts on this matter?

Vaccination causes autism is propaganda. Google is your friend.