Security Tightens At Government House To Block Anti-govt Protesters

george

• Replies 847
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guess I'll throw a completely unsubstantiated claim up as well and say that Kentucky Fried Chicken seems to be sponsoring UDD. They sent some real chow-hounds to their rallies. Samak, with his tremendous girth, will at least not go hungry when he's jailed.

Edited by sriracha john

You've got to remember that massage parlor king Chuwit is backing the PAD - he's sent lots of dollars and some da_n fine ho's along too! If Sondhi is going to be locked up again he's going to have some great company!

You should worry more about Pojaman who did just receive a 3 year sentence, same as Samak with a 2 year jail sentence and more coming up and a whole bunch of others lined up for the slammer.

How much do you get paid to post such rubbish?

You've got to remember that massage parlor king Chuwit is backing the PAD - he's sent lots of dollars and some da_n fine ho's along too! If Sondhi is going to be locked up again he's going to have some great company!

You should worry more about Pojaman who did just receive a 3 year sentence, same as Samak with a 2 year jail sentence and more coming up and a whole bunch of others lined up for the slammer.

630 baht per post!

630 baht per post!

629 baht too much.

630 baht per post!

629 baht too much.

628 baht too little.

You've got to remember that massage parlor king Chuwit is backing the PAD - he's sent lots of dollars and some da_n fine ho's along too!

Disgusting comment, even by your standards.

What evidence is there that he has any?

95% of the time he is trolling.

Edited by jackspratt

You've got to remember that massage parlor king Chuwit is backing the PAD - he's sent lots of dollars and some da_n fine ho's along too!

Disgusting comment, even by your standards.

Standards, you do mean the consistent sub-standard standard , don't you?.

Cannot understand why people waste their time in responding to such imbecilic remarks. It is possible they feel there is a need to support the ego of the poor unfortunate souls in their ramblings, this of course is counter-productive as it only encourages more of the same.

Sunrise spent his 50th birthday posting his wind up barbs on Thaivisa, couldn't stop even for a big day.

He might had legitimate reasons for his bitterness, initally, but by now his obsitnate desire to make a total ass out of himself and annoy shit out of others is entirely self-inflicted.

I'm not sure that ignoring him is going to help him to get out of this cesspit he is drowning himself in, and he NEEDS help.

Anyone?

Good Samaritans?

Jesus?

Sunrise spent his 50th birthday posting his wind up barbs on Thaivisa, couldn't stop even for a big day.

He might had legitimate reasons for his bitterness, initally, but by now his obsitnate desire to make a total ass out of himself and annoy shit out of others is entirely self-inflicted.

I'm not sure that ignoring him is going to help him to get out of this cesspit he is drowning himself in, and he NEEDS help.

Anyone?

Good Samaritans?

Jesus?

Don't worry; be happy! Cheers; sorry about your bad day! It'll get better, it always does! :o

Any light shed on Samak's desire to have the police stop folks from wearing t-shirts that say "People of Chinese Descent to Save the Country" as reported on page 1 of today's Post would be most appreciated. Why would anti-government protesters wear these shirts?

Anyone?

Good Samaritans?

Jesus?

Don't worry; be happy! Cheers; sorry about your bad day! It'll get better, it always does! :o

Any light shed on Samak's desire to have the police stop folks from wearing t-shirts that say "People of Chinese Descent to Save the Country" as reported on page 1 of today's Post would be most appreciated. Why would anti-government protesters wear these shirts?

The allusion to that slogan begs some serious media investigation. How popular are these shirts? Does the slogan represent the thinking of a sizeable portion of the PAD- or is it just a trumped up 'issue' to portray the PAD as fundamentally rascist? The story suggests that the writer acknowledges the presence of these t-shirts- yet the only time I have heard of a racial tint to the PAD was when Sonthi L claimed that his constituency was primarly the Chinese middle class.

This is a potentially and very dangerous new twist- which will probably- and perhaps reasonably- be taken to mean that those of Chinese descent will save the country- from those of NON-Chinese descent- from, in short- Thais.

Anyone?

Good Samaritans?

Jesus?

The allusion to that slogan begs some serious media investigation. How popular are these shirts? Does the slogan represent the thinking of a sizeable portion of the PAD- or is it just a trumped up 'issue' to portray the PAD as fundamentally rascist? The story suggests that the writer acknowledges the presence of these t-shirts- yet the only time I have heard of a racial tint to the PAD was when Sonthi L claimed that his constituency was primarly the Chinese middle class.

This is a potentially and very dangerous new twist- which will probably- and perhaps reasonably- be taken to mean that those of Chinese descent will save the country- from those of NON-Chinese descent- from, in short- Thais.

It would only be a dangerous new twist if anyone other than Sonthi was saying it. You have to consider the source. Ask any Thai if they are Thai and they will tell you they are Thai. It doesn't matter where their ancestors came from, they are Thai.

The PAD have shown again and again what an embarrassment they are. They are a desperate bunch of mainly paid to attend protesters jumping on any small issue that they can find thesedays. I feel sorry for the PAD supporters on this forum, all they have left is to make fun of other members… so sad……

Edited by Los78

The PAD have shown again and again what an embarrassment they are. They are a desperate bunch of mainly paid to attend protesters jumping on any small issue that they can find thesedays. I feel sorry for the PAD supporters on this forum, all they have left is to make fun of other members… so sad……

... and the Prime Minister ...

... and the ongoing court sagas ....

... and the proposed Stalinist changes to the constitution ...

I like the way you chose a bigger font though - it's making me think twice about clicking "Pos

Opposition grows to 'dictatorial' plan to curb street protests

A government bid to curb street protests came under fire yesterday when political activists, the parliamentary opposition, and even the head of a House Sub-committee within the constitutional amendment panel criticised the attempts at limiting political liberties.

Meanwhile, chief government whip Samart Kaewmeechai insisted that the imminent charter changes would not affect "problematic issues". Any proposed amendments involving those clauses would be postponed, he added. He said the government whips yesterday did not discuss the idea of amending the Constitution's Article 63.

A network of civic groups yesterday issued a statement opposing a government proposal to amend Article 63 on grounds that the curbing of street protests will infringe on basic rights.

"The proposed amendment goes against democratic principles and will become a tool to suppress the government's opponents," the network said.

The network includes the Coordinating Committee for Non-governmental Organisations, the Alternative Farming Network of Thailand, the Non-formal Labour Network and the Four-Region Slum Network.

Meanwhile, a sub-committee on rights, liberties and public participation within the House committee on constitutional amendments has agreed that there are no reasons to alter Article 63 of the charter, which guarantees an individual's freedom to assemble peacefully without weapons.

Gothom Arya, the Sub-committee's Chairman, said yesterday his panel found no obstacles to enforcement of the clause. "Initially, we see the clause should not be amended. But this matter will eventually rest with the committee," he said.

Gothom, who was part of the National Human Rights Commission, voiced opposition to a draft law on street protests proposed by People Power Party MP Jumpot Boonyai.

Opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday called on the ruling party to make it clear there would be no constitutional amendments over the upcoming "period of reconciliation" proposed by the government.

He said the plan for charter changes would only worsen tensions between opposing groups and revive distrust.

The government has come up with a project of "116 days of reconciliation from Mother's Day to Father's Day", which runs from Her Majesty's birthday on August 12 to His Majesty's birthday on December 5.

Suthep Thaugsuban, secretary-general of the Democrat Party, said yesterday that the Democrats were opposed to the proposed law to deal with street protests, which he said was aimed at the People's Alliance for Democracy. The PAD is holding an anti-government rally that is entering its third month.

The new-law motion was not moved up the agenda at yesterday's House of Representatives meeting. MP Jumpot said on Tuesday that he was pushing for the draft bill to be made the first subject of deliberation when the House met yesterday.

Former prime minister General Suchinda Kraprayoon yesterday voiced support for Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej's idea of amending Article 63 to allow authorities to better deal with street protests. "I don't agree with a constitution that allows protests which affect the rights and liberties of other people," he said.

Labour activist Wilaiwan Sae Tia said yesterday that the political situation would plunge into trouble if the government tried to curtail street protests, adding that the government had no justification to amend the charter or to push for a draft bill to regulate street protests.

First, the idea of curbing street protests is undemocratic, she said.

Second, the street protests, if regulated, will lead to discrimination against the minority living on the fringe of society. Third, it would be irregular for an elected House to debate a dictatorial draft. Fourth, the bill was previously rejected by the coup-appointed National Legislative Assembly. Fifth, the idea of regulating street protests is in clear violation of Article 63 and any attempts to amend this provision will cause a setback for democracy.

- The Nation

I like the way you chose a bigger font though - it's making me think twice about clicking "Pos

Stalinist Changes?????..... I think you forget the a illegal Military Junta that took over and put in their own changes..... I dont see how a democratically elected government is Stalinist.. Please explain??? Go and read your history books on Stalin. You obviously have no idea what Stalinist is... The PAD's ideas are closer to Stalinist if you have been following their ideas. I am all for a change to the constitution as it was messed up by illegal Military henchmen. It will only make Thailand more stable. If you look at any other democracy they would of cleared the bridge long time ago so I see nothing wrong with the changes. People will still have the right to protest anyway just not how it is now.

Edited by Los78

Stalinist Changes?????..... I think you forget the a illegal Military Junta that took over and put in their own changes..... I dont see how a democratically elected government is Stalinist.. Please explain??? Go and read your history books on Stalin. You obviously have no idea what Stalinist is... The PAD's ideas are closer to Stalinist if you have been following their ideas. I am all for a change to the constitution as it was messed up by illegal Military henchmen. It will only make Thailand more stable. If you look at any other democracy they would of cleared the bridge long time ago so I see nothing wrong with the changes. People will still have the right to protest anyway just not how it is now.

Yeah, it's a winner of a change. If you want to protest against the government you've got to get permission from the

government first. Would love to see the approval process for that one. Is that seriously the governments best defense to an ongoing, non-violent protest against them?

EDITORIAL

A direct threat to basic rights

Whether this is merely a tactic to divert the attention of its opponents from the main issues of contention, the government's latest attempt to rein in street protests by amending Article 63 of the Constitution, represents a direct threat to the basic right of free expression through peaceful public gatherings. It is totally unjustified, unnecessary, and provocative.

- Bangkok Post

Is this for real?

When I first read of this I thought that it was just some random Samak-esque ramblings, and that nobody in their right mind would even consider such a thing.

A threat to basic rights? An understatement I think as this is a full out assault on basic rights.

Does Samak really think that everybody will just go home if this bill is passed?

Does he think that everybody will go home if the police get heavy handed?

Does he think that it will be forgotten about if it was no longer broadcast?

Surely he can't actually believe these things. Should this even be attempted in any democratic country in the world then full scale rioting would occur.

I do hope that this does not go through as this is coup material.

What some forget is that Thailand has a long history even tradition of street protests and that any law that tries to change this will not only be a step back in democracy but also be an attack on something that Thais from virtually every group you can think of have at some point taken advantage of. The constitutional right to demionstrate enshrined in Thai law through several constitutions is not something that belongs to either the PAD or the government to play with. It belongs to every person.

Stupid reactionary and indefensible idea that should be opposed by anyone who has even the slightest belief in Democracy and people's struggle even if they revile the PAD. One day this law if introduced could be used by a government that some that support the current lot wont like or even another Junta.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Evelyn Beatrice Hall

Thailand: Protect Opposition Rallies From Attack

(New York, July 26, 2008) Thai authorities should ensure that opposition political rallies are protected from attack by pro-government groups, Human Rights Watch said today.

Since late May 2008, pro-government groups have attacked about a dozen rallies across Thailand organized by the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD), a coalition of groups critical of the government.

"Thai authorities have failed to protect their citizens' basic right to peaceful assembly," said Elaine Pearson, Deputy Asia Director at Human Rights Watch.

"By allowing pro-government thugs free rein to unleash violence, the authorities are putting Thailand's fragile democracy at risk. Officials should investigate these attacks and hold to account those responsible for the violence, as well as any officials who failed to stop it."

Since May 25, tens of thousands of people have joined the PAD in rallies in Bangkok and across the country to express opposition for the administration of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej.

On at least 11 occasions in Bangkok, Udon Thani, Sakon Nakhon, Chiang Mai, Sisaket, Chiang Rai, Maha Sarakham, and Buriram provinces, pro-government groups that are often associated with members of parliament from the ruling party have attacked PAD supporters, causing scores of injuries and damaging public property. In one instance, at a PAD rally in Maha Sarakham province on July 23, former Senator Karun Sai-Ngarm was on the stage when he was hit in the face with a marble from a slingshot and had to be rushed to hospital.

"The government of Prime Minister Samak should uphold the right to peaceful assembly as a basic component of democracy guaranteed in the Thai Constitution," said Pearson.

- Human Rights Watch News and Reuters

Imageaspx888.jpg

Anti-PAD Group Found Guilty of Violence in Maha Sarakham

The Maha Sarakham Court has ordered a jail sentence for two suspects involved in a clash at a People's Alliance for Democracy rally, where pro-government protesters destroyed the PAD stage.

The Maha Sarakham Court ordered a jail sentence today for the two suspects involved in the rally clash that occurred in the province on July 23rd. The two were members of the pro-government Maha Sarakham Patriots.

On that day, the People's Alliance for Democracy had hosted a large rally in front of the provincial kindergarten school near the Night Bazaar. The pro-government Maha Sarakham Patriots raided the rally and destroyed the PAD stage and other assets. The clash led to many injuries.

The Maha Sarakham PAD leader informed the police at the Muang District police station that the pro-government group threw rocks and hard objects at PAD members, causing them injuries.

The provincial police questioned six people involved and on August 5th, two additional members of the Maha Sarakham Patriots turned themselves in at the police station. The two are 20-year-old Thongchai Tatiyasoontorn and 37-year-old Pichit Changyan. The police investigated the case before reporting the evidence to the Court.

Today the Maha Sarakham Court gave its verdict on the case and the two convicted are to be jailed for six months each. :D:o

Regarding the six others convicted, Maha Sarakham Police Deputy Superintendent Police Lieutenant Narongrit Suriya reveals that the court is to hold a hearing on August 20th. The police confirm that the investigation is to be conducted with transparency and fairness.

- Thailand Outlook

Edited by sriracha john

National Counter Corruption Commission (NCCC) Commissioner Vicha Mahakhun said a sub-committee will probably be formed next week to investigate Udon Thani Governor Supoj Laowansiri and provincial Police Chief Pol Maj-Gen Permsak Paradasak over the attack on People's Alliance for Democracy demonstrators by pro-government Khon Rak Udon supporters on July 24.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/080808_News/08Aug2008_news12.php

Virtually all modern democracies recognize citizens rights to protest.

However that right comes with some degree of responsibility. Blocking streets for weeks or months, in effect forming a blockade intended to cause prolonged public disruption, erecting structures in public places etc is not generally tolerated in advanced democracies. While the right to peaceful protest is a generally accepted principle of democracy the world over, the behaviour of PAD would not be acceptable in more advanced democracies.

PAD have abused their right to peaceful protect at the expense of the general public, and are hiding behind the literal wording of the Thai constitution.

As in all normal civilized democracies, some limitations must be put on the rights of protesters in relation to allowing other citizens to carry out their normal daily lives. No one is saying PAD shouldn't be allowed to carry on extended protests for months or years if they wish, just they should do it away from an area which inconveniences the general public. The public must also have the right to freely go about their business in a democratic society. There has to be a balance, and in Thailand that balance is ill defined and has been abused. Time for some sensible regulation.

However that right comes with some degree of responsibility. Blocking streets for weeks or months, in effect forming a blockade intended to cause prolonged public disruption, erecting structures in public places etc is not generally tolerated in advanced democracies. While the right to peaceful protest is a generally accepted principle of democracy the world over, the behaviour of PAD would not be acceptable in more advanced democracies.

PAD have abused their right to peaceful protect at the expense of the general public, and are hiding behind the literal wording of the Thai constitution.

As in all normal civilized democracies, some limitations must be put on the rights of protesters in relation to allowing other citizens to carry out their normal daily lives. No one is saying PAD shouldn't be allowed to carry on extended protests for months or years if they wish, just they should do it away from an area which inconveniences the general public. The public must also have the right to freely go about their business in a democratic society. There has to be a balance, and in Thailand that balance is ill defined and has been abused. Time for some sensible regulation.

On one hand I agree (wholeheartedly), but on the other hand we all know this is just a way for the PPP to block all demonstrations against it. This is one of those things where most will agree with it in concept, but once in place it will be too late if the PPP uses it against all demonstrators regardless of how they demonstrate,. You have to be able to trust the guys in government to use new laws correctly. Do you trust these guys to be impartial?

A decade or so ago there used to be months and months of almost semi-permanent demonstrtions against the government by farmers right outside parliament. It never seemed to be a problem for the governments to allow those to go on. Maybe if laws have to be encacted then the area outside parliamnet should be delared as a legitimate demonstration ground to continue the long running Thai tradition within the freewheeling Thai democracy.

If a new parliament is to be built then a demonstration ground could be part of the plan. then the deminstrators whoever they are get to demonsttrate right in front of those they are aiming it at and the public will not be inconvenienced.

Just a thought.

Yes some very good points made ando. PAD have abused the protest thing for too long... Its time they start a political party if they feel so strongly about their issues. What they are doing would not be tolerated in advanced democracies and the government is only trying to bring Thailand in line with other democracies. They are not turning Thailand into a dictatorship like some PAD supporters on this forum claim...... I mean blocking a bridge and causing traffic congenstion and problems for school students would not be tolerated in any democracy I have lived in. And yes people do protest in these democracies also about various issues but not the way PAD go about it. The government has every right to clear the streets for the public benefit. They have the right to protest but to take over public property is not protesting anymore. I drove past the bridge the other day and its filled with rubbish and car parts all around Im sure there are more constructive ways to demonstrate then blocking roads......

Okay here come the PAD supporter rants ---->

Edited by Los78