Thai Beaches Named Most Favorite Asian Destination For Swedish Tourists

george

Thai Beaches Named Most Favorite Asian Destination for Swedish Tourists

Thailand has been named as the most favorite Asian vacation destination among Scandinavian visitors, according to the Thai Tourism Authority office in Sweden.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand’s Stockholm Office Director Manit Boonchim said that Swedish tourists have voted for this country as their most favorite place in Asia.

This is according to an impressively high number of Swedish tourists to Thailand during the first four months of this year, when around 190,000 people have flown into the kingdom to escape the cold winter to the sun, sea, and sand here.

Manit said the TAT believes that the number will rise further as the Swedes are keen to look for new exotic destinations while vacationing.

He also stated that one of Sweden’s leading tour companies, Apollo Travel, has reported that it has been receiving an increasing demand for holidays on the beaches as well as eco-tourism in Thailand from its Swedish clients these days.

It is now looking for new tourist destinations in the country for family holidays to cope with the rising demand.

-- thailandoutlook.tv 2008-06-20

He also stated that one of Sweden's leading tour companies, Apollo Travel, has reported that it has been receiving an increasing demand for holidays on the beaches as well as eco-tourism in Thailand from its Swedish clients these days.

Not just the Swedes, but I think it's something favoured by a lot of the older and younger visitors from the west and Japan. The thing is that there are not too many eco tourist providers that are capable of providing an experience on par with what the folks in Cost Rica do. It's the biggest growth segment of worldwide tourism and one of the most lucrative because people are willing to pay a little more if they can see the benefit of the activity. Kenya and South Africa realized this a decade ago. The question then is why hasn't the Tourism Authority put some more effort into it? Wouldn't it be more profitable to attract a few thousand more of the people that have an eco interest than cheap junket types from the middle east and India?

He also stated that one of Sweden's leading tour companies, Apollo Travel, has reported that it has been receiving an increasing demand for holidays on the beaches as well as eco-tourism in Thailand from its Swedish clients these days.

Not just the Swedes, but I think it's something favoured by a lot of the older and younger visitors from the west and Japan. The thing is that there are not too many eco tourist providers that are capable of providing an experience on par with what the folks in Cost Rica do. It's the biggest growth segment of worldwide tourism and one of the most lucrative because people are willing to pay a little more if they can see the benefit of the activity. Kenya and South Africa realized this a decade ago. The question then is why hasn't the Tourism Authority put some more effort into it? Wouldn't it be more profitable to attract a few thousand more of the people that have an eco interest than cheap junket types from the middle east and India?

Maybe because there is in fact no real "eco" left here anymore...

C'mon over, Sweden. Thai beaches await you...

The Eastern seaboard has become a garbage dump in many places. These were taken yesterday on pristine :o Bang Saen beach. Only a few places remain clean down the coast, Koh Chang and it`s rooms/tourist boats dumping human waste directly in the water was quite disgusting. Quite a challenge to snorkel and come back up for air while avoiding clouds of dissolving human feces and plastic bags.

Pics from yesterday in bang Saen. The pictures don`t do justice to the amount of garbage floating and washed up ashore. A lot of it may come from all the heavy boat and barge traffic and lots from Koh Si Chang right across. I can`t even imagine what chemicals can be found in a water sample there.

I would have strictly told my children not to even dip as much as a toe in there.

gallery_16522_431_127909.jpg

I counted at least two condoms on this picture.

gallery_16522_431_170716.jpg

Here`s a small section of the beach where the entire lenght was covered with garbage, mostly plastic and rubber. I am actuallyconvinced you could find every article available at Tesco there, as long as it floats.

gallery_16522_431_157919.jpg

Totaly disgusting and getting worse by the week.As many people said,the thais are making thailand a dumping bin of the world.

Please do something about this tat or else my wish will come true.No more tourist for Pattaya more space for me.

........there are not too many eco tourist providers that are capable of providing an experience on par with what the folks in Cost Rica do. It's the biggest growth segment of worldwide tourism and one of the most lucrative because people are willing to pay a little more if they can see the benefit of the activity. Kenya and South Africa realized this a decade ago. The question then is why hasn't the Tourism Authority put some more effort into it? Wouldn't it be more profitable to attract a few thousand more of the people that have an eco interest than cheap junket types from the middle east and India?

Well, they are doing a pretty good Job, the Thai way, LIP SERVICE, painting it all pink and put up gigantic billboards eveyrwhere which read: ":AMAZING THAILAND" and they are all proud of it and keep smiling!!

Happy Family - one hand clap!

Hey and: "why the Farangs have to take everything so serious?"

"Mai Mee Sanook!"

See in the (above) pictures and in many places in the country, amidst all this garbage, smiling faces, nobody complains! :o

Also some sort of specially tailored and customized ECO-Tourism for Thais/Asians... may should offer trips to the garbage Tips of Cairo, Mexico City, Djakarta, Kolkatta, Mumbay.... Swedes and others like Eco-Tourism and clean, white dream beaches with Cristal clear waters... the folks here may be exited viewing garbage dumps... and billowing black exhaust fumes from not maintained diesel engines....and white noise levels around 120 db with the thumping of 1000 over tuned car stereo systems on full blow and the observers screaming away at full throttle, in sheer excitement!

Who really knows...?

Much, way too much is being talked about and one meeting follows the next business brunch with a lot of important people, making impressive statements, "Green Bags" and Posters...yes, yes, yes...every year one

P.S.

besides as a member of this board I feel very sorry about your last line.... "cheap junket types from the middle east and India?" :D

I think it is BBB (bear,babes,beach in that order) that atracks the swedes (and others).

Well anywhere where alcohol is cheap is favorite. Take the ferry one time between Germany and Sweden and you know what is the most important. And if you can add cheap woman all the better.

If something is bad for tourism it is the early closing times. Many not even see the beach because it is already dark when they wake up. :o

I think it is BBB (bear,babes,beach in that order) that atracks the swedes (and others).

Well anywhere where alcohol is cheap is favorite. Take the ferry one time between Germany and Sweden and you know what is the most important. And if you can add cheap woman all the better.

If something is bad for tourism it is the early closing times. Many not even see the beach because it is already dark when they wake up. :o

You are obviously not Swedish and, equally obviously, have no clue about Thailand-bound tourism from Sweden. In Sweden, Thailand is seen primarily as a destination for family tourism. Its beaches, weather, friendly people, good food, positive attitude to children and (comparatively) low prices are the main attractions. The main destinations are on the Andaman Sea, e.g. Phuket, Krabi and Khao Lak, and there are very few opportunities to book a package tour to places like Pattaya.

Every year between 4-5% of the total population of Sweden visit Thailand (the highest percentage of any country). That seems ridiculously high for the kind of "tourism" that you seem to be thinking of.

BTW, where does one find the bear(s)?

/ Priceless

Edited by Priceless

You are obviously not Swedish and, equally obviously, have no clue about Thailand-bound tourism from Sweden. In Sweden, Thailand is seen primarily as a destination for family tourism. Its beaches, weather, friendly people, good food, positive attitude to children and (comparatively) low prices are the main attractions. The main destinations are on the Andaman Sea, e.g. Phuket, Krabi and Khao Lak, and there are very few opportunities to book a package tour to places like Pattaya.

Every year between 4-5% of the total population of Sweden visit Thailand (the highest percentage of any country). That seems ridiculously high for the kind of "tourism" that you seem to be thinking of.

/ Priceless

Are those the extremely stoic blond people that stare at each other at resort restaurants and never talk? The man are usually wearing socks with sandals but never the white ones?

/ Priceless

Are those the extremely stoic blond people that stare at each other at resort restaurants and never talk? The man are usually wearing socks with sandals but never the white ones?

You may be right, I've never seen a Swedish male in Thailand wear white sandals.

/ Priceless

many have red noses though.

Somehow me thinks Khao Lak wont be on the Swedes most favorite places to visit.

I can only think of one reason why it wouldn't be: The large number of Swedes killed at Khao Lak by the tsunami. Swedes are not very superstitious, however, and don't believe in ghosts.

I did a quick check of two of Sweden's largest tour operators, "Apollo" and "Fritidsresor". They each had 14 different hotels at Khao Lak on offer for the coming high season! I think you can safely say that Khao Lak is still (again?) very popular among Swedish charter tourists. This has also been confirmed by newspaper articles during the last few years.

As for Khun Jean's comment about red noses: Blond Scandinavians have a tendency to first turn red from the sun, only later will they (if they're lucky...) turn brown. Red noses due to "liquid sunshine" is more frequently a trait of other nationalities.

/ Priceless