Begging/scammers

jitagon

Yesterday, had a visit from three men all togged out in formal gear with black flak jackets and bearing the word 'soldier' in Big white lettering. They'd piled out of some SUV and spouse'd let them in :o As soon as I saw the compulsory 'little photo album' I knew they were going to ask for a ah, donation and showed them the door. :D

I've had 'rescue' people/'orphanage' people and just outright hawkers round before here in Sai Yuan, but 'soldiers'? Anyone else been bothered by these innovative scam merchants lately? Are they all over Phuket? Or just the predominantly farang areas?

Yesterday, had a visit from three men all togged out in formal gear with black flak jackets and bearing the word 'soldier' in Big white lettering. They'd piled out of some SUV and spouse'd let them in :o As soon as I saw the compulsory 'little photo album' I knew they were going to ask for a ah, donation and showed them the door. :D

I've had 'rescue' people/'orphanage' people and just outright hawkers round before here in Sai Yuan, but 'soldiers'? Anyone else been bothered by these innovative scam merchants lately? Are they all over Phuket? Or just the predominantly farang areas?

They were around my area (Karon Plaza) a few months ago. Locals were convinced they were genuine soldiers and 'donated' to avoid any trouble. Not cheap donations either, basically they were selling Buddha images at very expensive prices. The problem is that one local person buys/donates and they all have to follow suit. This was in high season so the 'soldiers' made a nice profit that day. And we have a nice lucky Buddha!

We have had them coming around our guest's apartments these past couple of months.... 3 times now. My wife thought they were quite 'menacing' and almost 'demanding' a good donation. They obviously thought this location was an easy target, and keep coming back. Tricky situation as we don't want to make an 'enemy' of officials.

We had some "soldiers" from the South a few months ago, in Paklok. My girlf went to the gate & they asked several times if they could come in. She said no repeatedly and I went out to see what was happening and eventually got rid of them.

They looked more like mafia types than soldiers and were very pushy. Did not give them any money, they were not happy.

It just took me aback a little that they were posing as soldiers to solicit funds. It did occur to me that they don't know the farang mindset very well as most of us don't give a rat's about uniforms, particularly those from the er, army. But, of course, have noticed how a lot of the locals, despite their avowed reputation as being a gang of scam artists themselves, are so taken in by their own kind!? :D Maybe it's the kraeng jai/pooyai thing :o But they soon shot off when I pointed out that they'd made a 'problem' (big No No here) between self and spouse as I rebuked spouse in front of them for letting them in. Then it was all wais and bows backing out the gate and back into their SUV :D

Interesting. I'd love to have this stunt pulled when there were real military officers around to see it. The navy can collect funds for various charitable works and it's usually the enlisted men and officer corp that get the ball rolling giving what they can. From what I have seen it's on the up and up and they do it without threats or going around soliciting like this. (They don't collect big sums and I think the PR spinoff discourages misappropriation.) They don't need con artists like this sabotaging the work they do and I reckon they'd probably beat the crap out of these people.

Not that much different than Pattaya police volunteers that get arrested for selling drugs is it? Probably "extras" and not full service personnel. Better ways for crooked military folks to make money come from stealing and selling equipment and supplies then going door to door.

Long time ago our house at Soi Naya Nai Harn was invaded by a crew of fake officials (they said retired soldiers) who were collecting for disabled soldiers. They showed a photo album but we didn't pay. It looks like the same scam.

Last week two monks showed op asking money for repairs, before they arrived at our house I had those guys see walking when I was out for buying breakfast and could see that there was something not right with them.

Its a pity that some people are so gullible or easily intimidated and therefor hand over hard earned cash to the scammers. Surely its easy to buy a soilder uniform at some of the army surplus like stores. What would happen if you the police saw them? Would they be discouraged? or would the police just enjoy a cut back? how about a call to the or-bor-tor? A friend of mine recently went to the Rawai or-bor-tor about another matter and was very impressed with the service, the way she was treated, and the quick matter in which her case was dealt with. (It was a garbage matter).

Havn't had the pleasure of seeing these guys but have had the pleasure of the Indian guy who starts out with "You are a lucky man".

Seen this guy? In the turban?

He then pulls this gag where he has numbers on crumpled pieces of paper, does a quick hand illusion trick to dupe you into thinking he is clairvoyant (mental, yes, that would be more appropriate) and then describes some day in the future when you will have a great stroke of luck.

As I got up to walk away he then says, "do you not have a donation for the great luck I have described is coming to you" ? I reached in my pocket and gave him 5 thb, and he then says "do you not have any paper money"? I just laughed and walked away.

Havn't had the pleasure of seeing these guys but have had the pleasure of the Indian guy who starts out with "You are a lucky man".

Seen this guy? In the turban?

I said 'yes, but you're not' and ignored him.. Sikh guy on Sukhumvit near the office building with fountains outside near the Landmark.

People soliciting donations for whatever cause are legally obliged to have some kind of an ID card stating for instance that they are authorized to raise money for the so and so foundation. I think I would ask to see a "bat pra jam tua", it is like a general expression for other ID cards than the normal ID card every Thai citizen has.