Buying Property In Pattaya

saorsa

Hi folks,

I am moving to Pattaya shortly and am wondering if anyone has some advice about estate agents to avoid and ones you would recommend. I'd also like to know if there are any areas that should really be avoided. My preferred area is pratumnak, but as I would rather have a house, that will probably be outside of my price range. Failing that, I was looking at S. Pattaya or E. Pattaya, but not too far away from the action. As I work offshore on roughly 6 weeks away, 3 weeks home rotation, security for when I am working is a high priority.

Any advice no matter how tongue in cheek appreciated.

cheers

jamie

Hi folks,

I am moving to Pattaya shortly and am wondering if anyone has some advice about estate agents to avoid and ones you would recommend. I'd also like to know if there are any areas that should really be avoided. My preferred area is pratumnak, but as I would rather have a house, that will probably be outside of my price range. Failing that, I was looking at S. Pattaya or E. Pattaya, but not too far away from the action. As I work offshore on roughly 6 weeks away, 3 weeks home rotation, security for when I am working is a high priority.

Any advice no matter how tongue in cheek appreciated.

cheers

jamie

I did similar look around when I first got a house in Pattaya. In the end I plumped for about 30 mins outside quite near maprachan resevoir as it suited my purposes. I work in BKK and really look forward to 3 days of quiet. Unfortunately many friends choose to head south for weekends, at the same time as me - so I am often in Pattaya at weekends. If that happens I get my driver to drive me to & from and he earns a relative fortune in OT but probably a lot less than it would cost me if I smacked my car. I have no regrets and have never been burgled but I also have full time live in maid and her husband helps out in the garden and cleans the pool etc. The reason i did that was primarily down to cost - I saw I could get a huge place on big land out at Maprachan for about 1/3rd of what they were asking in town, for smaller plots, more crowded and to be honest in for the most part nice developments that were located next door to flea pit housing. I would have no qualms with losing the pad I have if S*&t came to happen, but I would not feel so good as something that cost 3 times the price. I dont regret it and on the very rare occasion I head out alone I just sleep in one of half a dozen drive in motels I know of. never had any issue with availability at those kind of places. Must say I also have no qualms sleeping at night and have never been burgled or even an attempted burgler. Prices have risen but not so much out in this part of town and I would say its worth considering, albeit even if you need to hire a driver - makes things so much easier and never have to worry about where to park, which is a big issue these days in town.

Do your homework. Go to the Real Estate forum on ThaiVisa and you will learn foreigners can not own land in their own name. Foreigners can have a condo in their own name but total foreign ownership can not exceed 49% of the building. There are some very nice condos on Pratumnak hill.

Most of the well established agents are OK, a little research will let you know which ones have stayed the course, just search for Thai property on google and you will get the idea, the first one to come up is one of the best.

Pratumnak area has just as much crime as the rest of Pattaya city, not exactly the "beverly hills" it was once reported to be, the Thrapaya road widening project causing all sorts of problems in that area.

More and more foreigners, and a lot of long term expats, are preferring to move out of the city to the country areas where value for money in housing is far greater. The 2 main gripes about the city are the Traffic and Street crime - neither of which seem to be showing any signs of improvement.

If you want to PM me Jamie, i can give you more useful information that would otherwise be seen as advertising on this forum!!!

I lived in Pratumnuk last year (Jan 07 - Nov 07). I rented a place in an upmarket cluster (75k per month). I was burgaled 3 times and the lst time both my dogs were killed by the poison the burglars chucked to them to sedate them. After that I hired a personal security guy for the last 2 months whilst looking for another property.

Since then I have moved just a little north of Naklua and have never had any problem whatsoever. I wonder if it is all the wealth in such an easy convenient tight knit spot...? Now my house is indescript amongst a variety of other houses, some large some small. Anyway my current dogs are now much safer :o

There's a Forum sponsor who's very good and reputable. I don't think it's against Forum Rules to mention sponsors is it? Alan Bolton.

Pratumnak is a great place to live, very convenient for town yet still out of town. And still with some affordable condos available. As you say the house prices are a little high.

People complaining about the Theppraya roadworks should drive Soi Siam Country Club or Soi Nern Plubwan which have been under construction / repair for the 13 years I've lived here!!!

Edited by PattayaParent

Jamie, why not rent for 6/12 months first, get a true idea of whats hot and whats not, be very careful of information given in thailand as most is financially motivated,.there are horror stories involving real estate,get to know some friends, see where they live, how long they have lived there, what they paid and what they are worth now, there is no boom currently in pattaya and whatever you hear it is a buyers market, good luck,.

Jamie, why not rent for 6/12 months first, get a true idea of whats hot and whats not, be very careful of information given in thailand as most is financially motivated,.there are horror stories involving real estate,get to know some friends, see where they live, how long they have lived there, what they paid and what they are worth now, there is no boom currently in pattaya and whatever you hear it is a buyers market, good luck,.

You and your avatar should be banned, after 5 minutes of staring I find I am almost blind Sir :o

Nothing seems to be ideal now.the darkside(east) has many burgalries and the new highway is causing death and mayhem.Thai gangs shooting each other and many incidents on soi nerm/soi kho noi and soi khowtalo.Not for me i think.

central pattaya is more expensive but you should make a profit from your house which i doubt you will on the east side.

Rent for at least 12 months to get the feel of the place.

If your working 6/3 then your only option is a condo on a high floor with good security.

House left unoccupied for 3 weeks? Doesn't bear thinking about.

Yep, have already taken out a lease on a condo in Nova Atrium starting next month to give me some time to look around and see what is what. I have a friend who lives in Pratumnak and does similar job to me which is why I thought of there. He likes it anyway. Just need to sell my bikes and will hopefully make it over to thailand early next month for a week or so before my next job kicks off.

Out of interest, how much does a live-in maid cost Digger?

You and your avatar should be banned, after 5 minutes of staring I find I am almost blind Sir :o

Well it's an improvement on yours :D ...

BB

(P.S. Do hope you are fully recovered following reported incident)

Rent for at least 12 months to get the feel of the place.

If your working 6/3 then your only option is a condo on a high floor with good security.

House left unoccupied for 3 weeks? Doesn't bear thinking about.

6 weeks not 3 .

Yep, have already taken out a lease on a condo in Nova Atrium starting next month to give me some time to look around and see what is what. I have a friend who lives in Pratumnak and does similar job to me which is why I thought of there. He likes it anyway. Just need to sell my bikes and will hopefully make it over to thailand early next month for a week or so before my next job kicks off.

Out of interest, how much does a live-in maid cost Digger?

In a condo - no live-in maid, unless you rent a condo for her as well.

We have sparate quarters for our maid and pay her 5k per month, all found.

Before i was married I rented a studio apartment in South Pattaya and left it unoccupied while working. But I left minimum in the way of valuables in there, mainly clothing and books.

It is sufficient for a bachelor. And less to lose if you are out of work for a while and can't meet the bills.

Before i was married I rented a studio apartment in South Pattaya and left it unoccupied while working. But I left minimum in the way of valuables in there, mainly clothing and books.

It is sufficient for a bachelor. And less to lose if you are out of work for a while and can't meet the bills.

Same same but different.

I rent an apartment year-round, which is unoccupied while I'm away of course (but my land-lady takes good care of it). Not much to lose if it ever was burgaled. A friend looks after one moto, and the land-lady looks after the other (cheaper) one as well.

A house would be nice, but to leave it unattended for long periods (repeatedly) ? A live-in maid is no guarantee of security either. Might be better to get a serviced apartment on a long-term rental and save the house purchase for a time when you can be there full-time (more or less).

A house would be nice, but to leave it unattended for long periods (repeatedly) ? A live-in maid is no guarantee of security either. Might be better to get a serviced apartment on a long-term rental and save the house purchase for a time when you can be there full-time (more or less).

So long as I have to work for a living (another 20 years or so), I will never be there full time. Also 6 weeks is my shortest trip duration, most of last year I was working 8 weeks on, 2 weeks off....

I further recommend the option of renting for at least 6 months to get a better idea of where you are going to spend your money.

I had a 'reputable' estate agency recommending Pratumnak and when I pointed out the elevated house-breaking in that area, he claimed it was not possible, 'because one of the Thai Princesses has a place out there.' Honest, that was their flawed reasoning.

I have a house I am renting in Naklua that is more empty than occupied because of my work schedule. It's locked up tighter that Fort Knox when I am out and haven't had any intrusions in almost 2 years. The lawn service guy has a key for the front gate so he keeps the grass trimmed and sweeps the driveway as well as replacing any of the outside lights left burning so it has a 'lived in' look. Mind you, the properties on all 3 sides of me are occupied and the neighbor across the street knows when I am in and out so that may be something to consider when finally selecting a house.

I would also add that I found my place via a referral from some friends. I was dreading sorting through the bs that some of the agents would be holding forth and I got lucky. The OP should actively socially network while renting and some gem might come available that hasn't been placed on the market yet.

Edited by NanLaew

When you do come to buy work out the condo block you want to buy in to and then go to reception and ask for the names and numbers of all falangs selling.

In return for a small amount of baht you will get what you need and can approach the sellers direct. No real need for agents.

When you do come to buy work out the condo block you want to buy in to and then go to reception and ask for the names and numbers of all falangs selling.

In return for a small amount of baht you will get what you need and can approach the sellers direct. No real need for agents.

Good tip...never thought of doing that...

I realise that it's good to get on the property spiral as early as possible, as prices for housing are rising most of the time (just not at this time). Renting gains you nothing - after a year or two you still have nothing that is 'yours' and have paid out a chunk of money in rent.

However in Pattaya the prices of foreign-owned condos do not follow normal rules. They go up/down in quite large 'steps' every five or six years, rather than a steady increase. And the freehold will never be yours. So it's a bit of a quandry.

I would say that a house is better financially, but with maintenance you may have problems - the other week my wife phoned to tell me that some roof tiles had shifted in a high wind and the rain was pouring in. So she needed money for a roofer. If you are away and no one is in the house for six weeks, then it could get totally destroyed. In this sort of instance a condo is better. But twenty years of that life? I did it for six or seven years in Phuket when I was doing a lot of diving in my vacations, then three years in Pattaya when I got too old to enjoy long dive trips. That was enough - was married by then so rented a house, then bought one.In the end it's the better bet, but with a family.

Most of the well established agents are OK, a little research will let you know which ones have stayed the course, just search for Thai property on google and you will get the idea, the first one to come up is one of the best.

This is a joke right?

Good tip...never thought of doing that...

Keep your money in your pocket. The condo staff will be getting up to 3% from the seller for introducing a buyer. The condo staff will probably know absolutely nothing about the condo and won't be able to answer any questions you may have. Also their English will be limited. You should go to real estate agent(s) - at least they earn the 3%. As a buyer you don't pay anything unless you make an agreement with seller to share some of the transfer costs.

Sorry Saorsa Tammi's off her medications again.

The idea that a condo owner has signed a legal agreement to pay 3% commission to the Thais on reception to sell their condo is the most bizarre thing she has posted since her last post.

Also her statement that the people who WORK in the condo block know less about the condos than the agent should how insane she is.

I was not aware she was an agent but maybe her boyfriend is, or maybe she's just insane.

Speak to the people on reception, Chuck them a few baht and they will give you the contact details of all selling in the block. Common practise in Pattaya.

On the other hand if you think agents EARN their commission then by all means go through the agents.

Actually in my experience Tammi is spot on with her assessment of condo staff but at leats their 3% commission is cheaper than the agents 5+ percent. Also as they've likely neveer set foot in the condo for sale they wouldn't a clue about it whereas a proffessional agent would have at least surveyed it and taken photos and have a copy of the Chanote.

Very true! The best way to find the perfect place is to first find the area you like. Then go around to the buildings you like in that area and then ask reception about units for sale and just go from there. If they give you the owners info directly then the owner pays the commision, if there is any... it's up to the owner... if they give you a realtor number then you still negotiate what ever you think the place is worth. Commision is deducted off that... you can confirm that in the negotiation. Never pay more than you want to pay and you will be happy. Offer what ever it is worth TO YOU. It's a buyers market!

I realise that it's good to get on the property spiral as early as possible, as prices for housing are rising most of the time (just not at this time). Renting gains you nothing - after a year or two you still have nothing that is 'yours' and have paid out a chunk of money in rent.

However in Pattaya the prices of foreign-owned condos do not follow normal rules. They go up/down in quite large 'steps' every five or six years, rather than a steady increase. And the freehold will never be yours. So it's a bit of a quandry.

Yes property will eventually rise in price..history dictates

Look at the building next to the immigration office,I nearly bought there 11 months ago,went there last week,not too many sold and the (asking) price has dropped by about 40%.Still virtually empty after nearly one year.

Completly disagree about the freehold statement,nothing new about the 49% rule in a condominium with farang ownership, fully transferable to next of kin or family,children etc.

A lot better option than buying a house on a 30 year lease,or putting it in Thai name(s).IMHO