Finally

Sidris

Fault lines under Chiang Mai confirmed by university study

Buildings over 15 metres tall at risk of collapse

Saksit Meesubkwang

A recent study and underground oil survey carried out by academics and researchers from the Earth Science Institute at Chiang Mai University has confirmed the existence of two horizontal fault lines running underneath the city at a depth of approximately 4-6 kilometres in the areas of Chiang Saen, Mae Chan, Chiang Khon, Fang, Mae Ai, Sansai, and Hang Dong districts, extending into Mae Hong Son province.

n3-Earthquakes.jpg
Prof. Dr. Samphan Singharajwarapan, Director of the Earth Science Institute.

Minor tremors in the area are quite common, particularly in Hang Dong and Mae Rim districts, the last being a 4.6 magnitude quake which occurred last year, the epicentre of which was under Maejo University in Sansai.

As a result, local authorities have been warned that, if an earthquake occurs, buildings over 15 metres tall, including schools and hospitals, may be, depending on their construction, at serious risk of collapse. Local administration authorities and the provincial office of public works are being warned that they should strictly enforce legal requirements for taller buildings under construction or at the planning stages.

I live just outside Maejo. I'm looking forward to another quake as it may scare the pigeons, lofting in my roof, to pi55 off and stop waking me up at 5am by cooing and walking around above my bedroom ceiling. failing an earthquake, does anyone have a gun so that I can shoo.. sorry scare the little angels away?

yeah i have a few nice pellets guns i brought over last trip you can borrow when i get back in a few months ..... i am in maejo as well near the golf club..

been doing away with a vew rats tookays etc myself....

Fault lines under Chiang Mai confirmed by university study

Buildings over 15 metres tall at risk of collapse

Saksit Meesubkwang

A recent study and underground oil survey carried out by academics and researchers from the Earth Science Institute at Chiang Mai University has confirmed the existence of two horizontal fault lines running underneath the city at a depth of approximately 4-6 kilometres in the areas of Chiang Saen, Mae Chan, Chiang Khon, Fang, Mae Ai, Sansai, and Hang Dong districts, extending into Mae Hong Son province.

n3-Earthquakes.jpg
Prof. Dr. Samphan Singharajwarapan, Director of the Earth Science Institute.

Minor tremors in the area are quite common, particularly in Hang Dong and Mae Rim districts, the last being a 4.6 magnitude quake which occurred last year, the epicentre of which was under Maejo University in Sansai.

As a result, local authorities have been warned that, if an earthquake occurs, buildings over 15 metres tall, including schools and hospitals, may be, depending on their construction, at serious risk of collapse. Local administration authorities and the provincial office of public works are being warned that they should strictly enforce legal requirements for taller buildings under construction or at the planning stages.

when posting news articles please be sure to cite a news source, thanks :o

This is an odd OP with a nonsensical topic heading. It should at the very least be retitled. And what is the point of it?

There is nothing unusual about earthquake activity in the general neighborhood. The first earthquake tremor I have ever experienced was in Mae Jo one sunny afternoon last year. Everyone knew to steer clear of loose roof tiles.

Generally, as one poster has noted previously, pigeons are probably more of a nuisance, as are soi dogs.

The OP got his story from the Chiang Mai Mail, which will never cause an earthquake in the news business. It seems to get incrementally better, but it basically feeds off news releases, "cheap charlie" local reportorial follow-ups and ego photos like the one in this story.

On the other hand, there are very, very fundamental problems in Chiang Mai with building codes and construction standards. Basically, unless you actually deliver a written complaint about "building code" problems to City Hall, the city will not sign off on or inspect building projects. So, shoddy construction may well be a problem, especially with masonry construction as practiced in Thailand.

...well what's new is that now professionals are saying that many schools and government buildings in ChiangMai are at "serious risk of collaspe" when an earthquake occurs.

It's the same building technique as in China that just killed 70,000 plus last month.

Concrete post and beam with non-reinforced masonry infill, hollow cement floor panels with no steel or shear transfers. It is the same disaster waiting to happen to ChiangMai.

If you chose to ignore the warnings is one thing, but to mock them is something else entirely.

May God have mercy on you and your family.

...well what's new is that now professionals are saying that many schools and government buildings in ChiangMai are at "serious risk of collaspe" when an earthquake occurs.

It's the same building technique as in China that just killed 70,000 plus last month.

Concrete post and beam with non-reinforced masonry infill, hollow cement floor panels with no steel or shear transfers. It is the same disaster waiting to happen to ChiangMai.

If you chose to ignore the warnings is one thing, but to mock them is something else entirely.

May God have mercy on you and your family.

Whose God are you referring to?

Didn't some other dill start a thread along these lines a year or 2 ago?

Must be the Christian one, they're the only ones who beseech God to have mercy on other people.

But they don't really mean it though, it all comes down to an eye for an eye. (exodus 21:23-21:27)

Sceadugenga in religious mode.

Didn't some other dill start a thread along these lines a year or 2 ago?

Who you calling a dill?

Quit jerkin your gherkin and say something useful.

I am referring to the dill, aka drongo who started another inane thread along the same lines as this one a year or 2 ago.

I shall continue to jerk the pickled cucumber and say useless things until I find something less than inane in your posts.

This is an odd OP with a nonsensical topic heading. It should at the very least be retitled. And what is the point of it?

There is nothing unusual about earthquake activity in the general neighborhood. The first earthquake tremor I have ever experienced was in Mae Jo one sunny afternoon last year. Everyone knew to steer clear of loose roof tiles.

Generally, as one poster has noted previously, pigeons are probably more of a nuisance, as are soi dogs.

The OP got his story from the Chiang Mai Mail, which will never cause an earthquake in the news business. It seems to get incrementally better, but it basically feeds off news releases, "cheap charlie" local reportorial follow-ups and ego photos like the one in this story.

On the other hand, there are very, very fundamental problems in Chiang Mai with building codes and construction standards. Basically, unless you actually deliver a written complaint about "building code" problems to City Hall, the city will not sign off on or inspect building projects. So, shoddy construction may well be a problem, especially with masonry construction as practiced in Thailand.

Agree on all points, particularly 'CM Mail' which belatedly and very slowly does show some small signs of improvement.

All your points except, just in this case, the 'ego photo' phrase. I know the Thai professor concerned and he is extremely serious minded, knowledgeable and well intentioned.

Not long after the tsunami he gave an excellent explanatory talk at the Informal Northern Thai Group (are they still going?) which was reported in a different local publication. I recall vividly that he said our 2 largest reservoirs north of the city, Mae Kuang and Mae Ngat, BOTH had faults running under them! The latter has a fault under the backwater (farthest from the wall), the former has a fault running right under one of the 3 big walls!

If that baby ever blows it's Goodbye Sansai!!

My words, not his, of course.

After his talk he said quietly that he had been to Bangkok specifically to draw the attention of appropriate government departments to these facts, but "no-one was interested. In Thailand we are very good at reacting AFTER disasters," he said.

Minor earth tremors in northern areas on the increase

Training simulation of major earthquake disaster held

CMM Reporters

A number of minor earth tremors shook the Thai/Myanmar border regions recently, with epicentres north-west of Mae Hong Son and adjacent to the Chiang Rai border area. Although no damage was sustained, it has been noted that the incidence of such tremors is rising at present.

Between June 3 and 22, there have been reports of 8 small earthquakes in the areas of Chiang Rai, Mae Hong Son and Chiang Mai, with the 4 which occurred in Chiang Rai involving both the Mae Ta fault and the Sakang fault in Myanmar. As a result, the situation is being monitored closely by the Thai Department of Meteorology. In Chiang Rai itself, the municipality and local administration authorities recently organised tall building evacuation drills for students at Damrongrat School; other occupants of high-rise buildings will also receive training.

Meanwhile, as a result of both the massive recent earthquake in China and a 5.1 earthquake in Mae Rim in 2006, the Public Disaster Prevention Centre at Lampang held a simulation of a 6.7 richter scale earthquake near Phol Suksa, Chiang Mai, aimed at finding ways of assisting the public and moving them to safe locations. The scenario included aftershocks, electricity power outages, lack of communication facilities and many deaths and injuries. Six disaster prevention organizations from Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Chiang Rai, Phayao and Mae Hong Son participated in and observed the simulation.

In the event of a severe earthquake, Maharaj Hospital in Chiang Mai will be the centre for the wounded, according to Dr Narand Chotisaniramit of Chiang Mai University. The simulation has helped to provide essential information regarding the time scale of a major search and rescue operation. Further disaster simulations are planned for Chiang Mai, including a plane crash.

from CMMail

(Does that last line suggest they're having a little more fun with this than is strictly necessary ?)

Edited by sylviex