Supreme Court Sentences To Six-months In Jail Lawyer In Pastry Gate

george

apparently he's slipped out the back door of the hospital... or sumthin'...

One of three lawyers in 2 million baht case still missing

The lawyer declined to attend a sentencing on the 25th of June, citing health issues, but a review of hospital records show that Thana's name made no appearance in logs.

- ThaiNews

Feined death and escaped with a bed sheet over his head ?

Next they smuggle in a look alike to Thana's hospital room who is then found dead from "stress" the next morning letting the real Thana off the hook and prompting the release of the other 2 lawyers in prison due to compassionate grounds and the potential of death from "stress".

Anyone care to write the next chapter ?

The line between a factual News Clipping Forum thread and a Farang Pub Forum "add-to-this" thread gets more blurred....

:o

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The lawyer declined to attend a sentencing on the 25th of June, citing health issues, but a review of hospital records show that Thana's name made no appearance in logs.

- ThaiNews

Next they smuggle in a look alike to Thana's hospital room who is then found dead from "stress" the next morning letting the real Thana off the hook and prompting the release of the other 2 lawyers in prison due to compassionate grounds and the potential of death from "stress".

The line between a factual News Clipping Forum thread and a Farang Pub Forum "add-to-this" thread gets more blurred....

:o

C'mon John, you know fact is always going to outperform fiction in LOS and nobody, but nobody, could make up some of the stories that become news. Vide the man with condom on his knob and cobra in epic tussle to the death story for recent proof. The odd bit of speculation only helps to ground the story in the real world outside LOS! :D

I hope the something turns out to be ...

The hospital have declared him fit for his custodial sentence and they moved him accordingly.

Yes i know..........

I,m just hoping these tit bits of positive good news beginning to filter through aren,t going to become negative and take us back to square one again.

marshbags :o:D

Edited by marshbags

I'd post a pic of the missing desperado to assist in his apprehension and detainment, but haven't found any with either his English transliterated name or with it in Thai script. Most unusual for anyone associated with Thaksin.

Maybe he's maintaining a low profile.

After all nobody ever heard of the clown until a few days ago. Now he's supposedly in Bumringred under observation or so we're told. :o

Guest Bellini
Now he's supposedly in Bumringred under observation or so we're told. :o

I understand he is under heavy police guard at that hospital.

Now he's supposedly in Bumringred under observation or so we're told. :D

I understand he is under heavy police guard at that hospital.

PRD (gvt's propaganda staffel) has obviously another view. :o

26 june, 6 PM

The atmosphere is mostly tranquil at Bumrungrad Hospital today, without the presence of police or members of the media despite reports that lawyer to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Thana Tunsiri (ธนา ตันศิริ) is residing in the facility. Mr. Thana is one of three lawyers implicated in the 2 million baht filled dessert container delivered to the Supreme Court case and is liable to sentenced to six months in prison.

The lawyer declined to attend a sentencing on the 25th of June, citing health issues, but a review of hospital records show that Mr. Thana's name made no appearance in logs.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/newsenglish/prev...id=255106270016

After the "pastrygate", bags, chocolate, 1000 THB bills... here comes the new episode of the Saga : "The missing lawyer".

:D

Edited by cclub75

Do you seriously believe that :

-2 millions would do the trick to bribe the Supreme Court ? I mean it would be a tip. A tip for the maid !

Well, it wasn't a bribe to judge, it as a gift to a couple of court clerks, 2mil seems to be impressive enough for their salary level.

Was is a stupid move? Are you sure it was the first time? Are you sure it hasn't worked before with some other court staff?

Even a simple clerk doing photocopying can be a source of valuable information.

Okay, fair enough, this hypothesis is interesting.

However, we still have the problem of :

-the location (to give any bribe, installement, large, small whatever, in an official building... like a court... that's really a mistake. Of beginners. Or they felt so confident (because maybe it was... a tradition) that they didn't have any fear.

-the identity of the delivery boys. Again, to ask the lawyers do do the "dirty" work... that sounds strange.

My understanding from speaking to many Thais over many years is that negotiating, delivering and getting a cut of the bribes is part of the job description of a lawyer in Thailand.

In this case, I think the Shinawatra family are perfectly capable of directing negotiations, probably remotely, but the other two roles will fall to the 'lawyers'.

I know very little about how lawyers give bribes here, but let me take a shot anyway.

It wasn't really a bribe in a sense a 10% kickback is a bribe or an envelope to facilitate approval process is a bribe. It was simply testing ground procedure. The real request would have come later, and at a separate price.

I don't know why Thana chose to give it inside the court building, but I doubt he gave the money to the first clerk he met. He had certainly talked to her before and he probably was reasonably sure she wouldn't refuse. I don't know why. Maybe she accepted flowers earlier, maybe she accepted cookies before, maybe she acted as if she would accept a gift, maybe she flirted with him. I don't know why it didn't work either. Maybe there was someone else in the room this time and she couldn't behave as he expected, maybe it was one of those days.

He misread the situation and it backfired, happens all the time, especially with females.

On the other hand I doubt Thaksin really knew about it. He probably left the matter at the discretion of his lawyers, and he didn't need to give them his own money, it's their "operational expenses". They would bill him in bulk later.

In short - I don't buy the argument that it was a setup or a sting or whatever.

It's doubtful the money was meant for a clerk/receptionist. In Thailand, bribes are not always/often paid directly to the receiver. A Thai school principal once told me about one common method of bribing; place crisp bills in an envelope, put the envelope in a very nice picture book (Thais aren't avid book readers) and unceremoniously place the book on a nearby table, and say something like, "I thought your daughter might enjoy this book."

I'd be curious to know exactly what was said by the lawyers in the S.court reception area - particularly when they greeted the clerks there. It's more likely the salted box of pastries was intended for a higher up. It's hoped that a thorough investigation is going on, though my hopefulness is colored with cynicism, as I know how inept Thai investigations are. Many pertinent questions are never asked, and if they are, they're not pursued because of the constant consideration of 'losing face' that weighs on all Thai matters. Similarly, probing deep and diligently for clues and explanations is not part of Thai investigations - it's too easy to just scratch the surface, and then take a break. Where is inspector Clouseu when you need him?

The atmosphere is mostly tranquil at Bumrungrad Hospital today, without the presence of police or members of the media, despite reports that lawyer to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Thana Tunsiri, is residing in the facility.

Thana is one of three lawyers implicated in the 2 million baht filled dessert container delivered to the Supreme Court case and is liable to sentenced to six months in prison.

- ThaiNews

OK, I'll have a stab at it.

6 months later: an apparently disoriented K. Thana walks into the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur claiming he was kidnapped from his hospital bed in Bumrungrad Hospital by Muslim insurgents and held in a secret rebel camp in the jungle somewhere in Pattani but has just managed to escape.

He is hailed as a hero. Thai Airways puts on a special VIP flight to bring him back to Thailand where he is greeted at Suvarnabhumi Airport by a huge media throng, Mr. Thaksin himself the whole of the PPP cabinet and the two other lawyers who have just been recently released after being allowed to serve their sentences at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok.

K. Thana can not remember any specifics about his captivity claiming his memory is affected by stress. Further charges against all 3 lawyers are dropped in consideration of K. Thana's ordeal.

No word on the wanted fugitive Thana in this updated report...

Snack box investigation to continue

Answers still needed on attempted bribery

Police have been asked to continue their investigation into whether former PM Thaksin had anything to do with the 2-million-baht snack box that his three lawyers passed on to a Supreme Court official, bringing the 3 a 6-month jail term. A senior police officer commented yesterday that answers were still needed on whether the lawyers were using the money to influence Thaksin's legal case. *well....Duh* :o Amnuay Nimmano, Commander of Metropolitan Police Division 1, said his subordinates would need about a month to find out if Thaksin was connected to the cash-laden snack pack given to a court official on June 10. Police are waiting for documents from the Supreme Court. Only then can they begin questioning Pichit Chuenban, Supasri Srisawat and Thana Tansiri, Thaksin's three lawyers who have been handed a 6-month jail term for contempt of court. Amnuay expects to receive the documents on Monday. He said police would have to trace back the money to its original source and find out if the payment was meant to foil a lawsuit against Thaksin as many believe. The Supreme Court's verdict on the three lawyers goes to show that the sum was offered in exchange for convenient services at the court as they had to contact the place often. Bribery needed to be proven with persuasive intentions, according to Pol Maj-Gen Amnuay. "It must be investigated further as we still need to know who was the real owner of the money. The question that now arises is whether they were offering a bribe to foil a case. It will depend on how their intention is interpreted," he said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/280608_News/28Jun2008_news08.php

======================================================================

By all means it was not intended for bribery, it was a merely a generous gift in honor of the tremendously important cultural event known as The June 10th Pastry Giveaway Day. :D

Does anyone know's who is currently the head of the police force? It might/could be as I guess Thaksin's brother in law or something

similar. If yes, we can already guess how far these investigations will go.

------

:o love your stories above, keep em up!

Edited by nomoretalksin

The story continues.....

The head of the Thai Police is appointed to head the inquiry into the source of the 2 million baht and promises a complete and unbiased investigation. After he interviews Mr. Thaksin personally he denies that family ties will have any influence on the outcome of the investigation.

Several days later the Police Chief reports that every person of interest present on the day in question is currently holidaying overseas at unknown destinations with their whole families for indefinate periods and can not be contacted. The investigation is announced completed.

A week later a rice farmer from Chiang Mai reports to Bangkok police that he found 2 million baht in a pastry container floating in his rice paddy one morning and, thankful for all the good Mr. Thaksin was doing for the poor people of the north-east, decided to donate the money to Mr. Thaksin so he could carry on with his good work on behalf of the poor Isaan people.

The farmer travelled all the way to Bangkok by water buffalo and eventually tracked down the Thaksin entourage to the Supreme Court where, in the absence of Mr. Thaksin himself, gave the package to Thaksin's driver whereby it subsequently became mistaken for the pastries by the lawyers.

The Police Chief concludes from the witness's startling statement there is no evidence of any wrongdoing and says the episode was all just an "honest mistake".

The Police Chief further concludes there is nothing suspicious about a number of court officials recently winning all expenses paid overseas holidays for themselves and their families, another winning a new Mercedes-Benz from a major telecommunications company and yet another winning a brand new house from a property developer. "Seems like there's a lot of good luck for people at the moment. Maybe the planets have a good alignment" he was quoted as saying.

The poor Chiang Mai farmer is paid a 2 million baht reward which was offered earlier by the police for information identifying the source of the 2 million baht.

Everyone lived happily ever after.

I love it when this kind of news pops up abroad, I bet his morning boiled rice turns sour over there in the UK. :o

Now, when will someone dig a little deeper into his PhD and add to what we already know? It`s about time that one is made public and shows the world the fraud that he is.

The world does not care about Thailand and Thaksin is only noticeable because of Man City.

People on this board need to realise their obsession with Thailand is particular and most other people do not care a jot about the place - even in the region never mind on the other side of the worl.

Most Americans could not place it on a map!

-the identity of the delivery boys. Again, to ask the lawyers do do the "dirty" work... that sounds strange.

Yeh, that is my take on this as well. Maybe the driver was in on it, but not the attorneys. These people aren't dumb.

They aren,t dumb, they are unprincipled and cunning in many cases, based on temptation and greedy officials.

Anyone who has dealt with lawyers ( in many cases ) will have discovered that they lack the integrity one associates with their profession and what they are supposed to represent.

They are arrogant beyond belief, purely because they have always been allowed to be above the law, do not respect it and think they can cheat and buck the system at will.

You have to been in a position of knowing you, or someone you, know being arrogantly treated by these so called upholders of the law and the law breaking clients they represent, are highly paid to do so and giving the people they,ve cheated, the equivalent of 2 fingers, backed up by the fact that they have the authorities within their control and you aint got a chance in hel_l of getting justice and reimbursement.

They are well paid by their clients, who have always been able to bribe officials to turn a blind eye and manipulate the rule of law in their favour.

They apply a multitude of ways to tempt the officials who by and large have always been receptive of such advances.

By the way usually if something did go wrong in their efforts the employee would normally be made the scapegoat / paid scapegoat to get them off the hook.

On this occasion, they came up against judges of honour and integrity and the pastry box of 2 million temptations, along with the delivery personel / lawyers where justly and expediciously dealt with, according to the laws of Thailand.

About time to IMHO.

I,d love to have witnessed their initial reactions on the reality of what had happened and the implications of it all when it sunk in.

If only they were being tret like the common criminals they now are, like those of lesser priviledge and phoney, undeserved position.

marshbags :o

The atmosphere is mostly tranquil at Bumrungrad Hospital today, without the presence of police or members of the media, despite reports that lawyer to former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, Thana Tunsiri, is residing in the facility.

Thana is one of three lawyers implicated in the 2 million baht filled dessert container delivered to the Supreme Court case and is liable to sentenced to six months in prison.

- ThaiNews

OK, I'll have a stab at it.

6 months later: an apparently disoriented K. Thana walks into the Thai embassy in Kuala Lumpur claiming he was kidnapped from his hospital bed in Bumrungrad Hospital by Muslim insurgents and held in a secret rebel camp in the jungle somewhere in Pattani but has just managed to escape.

He is hailed as a hero. Thai Airways puts on a special VIP flight to bring him back to Thailand where he is greeted at Suvarnabhumi Airport by a huge media throng, Mr. Thaksin himself the whole of the PPP cabinet and the two other lawyers who have just been recently released after being allowed to serve their sentences at a 5 star hotel in Bangkok.

K. Thana can not remember any specifics about his captivity claiming his memory is affected by stress. Further charges against all 3 lawyers are dropped in consideration of K. Thana's ordeal.

And 2 month later the officials from the court get moved to an inactive position. These positions will be hold now by the brother of Thaksins homemaid, a classmate of Thaksins brother in law and his wifes hairdresser.

All need to attend a one month class to get their doctor degree first.

How many people are at (officially) inactive positions now?

And 2 month later the officials from the court get moved to an inactive position. These positions will be hold now by the brother of Thaksins homemaid, a classmate of Thaksins brother in law and his wifes hairdresser.

All need to attend a one month class to get their doctor degree first.

How many people are at (officially) inactive positions now?

Prime Minister Dismayed at number of inactive post holders

Prime Minister Samak voiced astonishment when he discovered that the government currently has 4,921 persons holding inactive posts within the government. He was further shocked when a reporter informed him that there are only 4,844 persons holding actual active posts within the government.

Expressing his outrage, PM Samak immediately transferred the Minister of Inactive Posts to...... an inactive post within the Agriculture Ministry.

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

*Disclaimer: the number of active post holders is subject to verification.*

So much good fodder.

Follow the money.

K. Thana was seen at the bank in the morning.

What land deal was about to be closed?

Where, When?

K. Thana is a member of Thaksin clan by marriage.

Married into Pojamin's extended family.

By Thai clan standards pretty close,

close enough to carry uncle T.s money.

Head ache ROTFLOL... stress in jail.... ROTFLOL.

They MUST keep him on ice, he is the LYNCH pin.

If he gets REALLY interrogated in 'Thai-style' he'll fold like a ragdoll.

Not cut out for this level of stress...

He is the link between Uncle T. and the deal.

The other two, ooh the stress in jail...whoo ha!

Like EVERYBODY ELSE doesn't get stress in jail...

Right, but the're 'special'. The're not used to living so lo so.

Certainly this can be used to slow the Rachadpisek case a notch.

But it's pretty close, a good judge can speed up the new lawyers,

or better yet 'court appointed lawyers'.

Like Thaksin doesn't have a DOZEN or two lawyers discussing

his cases in chambers around a giant desk daily...

These were just the expendable point men lawyers.

Rachadapisek is likely Thakin's Waterloo,

it is clear cut and on paper, a very public transaction,

and clearly breaking a relatively clear law.

This is likely the end game he fears most.

Big sentence possible, he certainly would be an example to be made.

So many flattened toes in his past.

I am only surprised that ONLY 2 mil was involved.

This may have been for a simple paper pusher

to lose something critical to prosecution,

but I doubt that's possible at this stage.

He isn't talking publicly except through proxies,

so we aren't seeing the jumble of stress induced paranoia

he showed just before he left office.

Might explain his lack of public talks right now.

Amazing Thailand for sure.

So much good fodder.

Follow the money.

K. Thana was seen at the bank in the morning.

What land deal was about to be closed?

Where, When?

K. Thana is a member of Thaksin clan by marriage.

Married into Pojamin's extended family.

By Thai clan standards pretty close,

close enough to carry uncle T.s money.

Head ache ROTFLOL... stress in jail.... ROTFLOL.

They MUST keep him on ice, he is the LYNCH pin.

If he gets REALLY interrogated in 'Thai-style' he'll fold like a ragdoll.

Not cut out for this level of stress...

He is the link between Uncle T. and the deal.

The other two, ooh the stress in jail...whoo ha!

Like EVERYBODY ELSE doesn't get stress in jail...

Right, but the're 'special'. The're not used to living so lo so.

Certainly this can be used to slow the Rachadpisek case a notch.

But it's pretty close, a good judge can speed up the new lawyers,

or better yet 'court appointed lawyers'.

Like Thaksin doesn't have a DOZEN or two lawyers discussing

his cases in chambers around a giant desk daily...

These were just the expendable point men lawyers.

Rachadapisek is likely Thakin's Waterloo,

it is clear cut and on paper, a very public transaction,

and clearly breaking a relatively clear law.

This is likely the end game he fears most.

Big sentence possible, he certainly would be an example to be made.

So many flattened toes in his past.

I am only surprised that ONLY 2 mil was involved.

This may have been for a simple paper pusher

to lose something critical to prosecution,

but I doubt that's possible at this stage.

And maybe soon old Noppadol will be looking for a new bit of employment

Give it a few days and he will personally announce the creation of a new foundation for this or that.

I love it when this kind of news pops up abroad, I bet his morning boiled rice turns sour over there in the UK. :o

Now, when will someone dig a little deeper into his PhD and add to what we already know? It`s about time that one is made public and shows the world the fraud that he is.

The world does not care about Thailand and Thaksin is only noticeable because of Man City.

People on this board need to realise their obsession with Thailand is particular and most other people do not care a jot about the place - even in the region never mind on the other side of the worl.

Most Americans could not place it on a map!

I have to disagree with you, at least regarding Europeans, there's been a lot of tourists to Thailand the last 20 years, many farangs have married Thais, their families have visited Thailand, quite a few keep an eye open for news about Thailand.

Incidentally what are you doing spending so much time on a Thai related forum? Is Singapore visa.com too dull, or is Singapore itself too boring to occupy one's time?

What is fascinating about Thailand politically at the moment is the attempts to form a working democracy with all the attendant growing pains that entails. And some of the characters involved really beggar belief, the last few years would be dismissed as too improbable if they'd been created in a novel.