Uk Visitors Proposals

Cynic that I am I suspect that some of these proposals could not be legally enforced, politicians often make statements knowing full well that they are talking about is likely to fail in either the uk or european courts.

This sounds like a sensible step inthe right direction and if it comes into force may reduce the number of overstayers,but I suspect that

this proposed legislation will not stop, and could infact make life much easier for people smugglers in the long run.

I fear that the proposed penalty of £5000, firstly will not be a madatory amount and like other financial penalties imposed by the Courts will be based upon the ability to pay, indeed I suspect the Courts are legally obliged to adhere to that system.

The reality is that people smugglers will simply see this " fine" as just another business expense to be absorbed and passed on to the

"client", as no doubt will be the cost of paying a person to sponsor the application.

There is much truth in the expression " you can pick your friends but not your relatives".

Whilst the proposal to impose a penalty on the sponsor may appease the masses I suspect in reality the proposal to impose a financial penalty, never mind a prison sentence on a person who clearly has not done anything wrong is likely to fail as it goes against the principal of natural justice and also I suspect, uk and european law.

Many of you will have seen the political spin in the form of publishing the name of business's and its Directors who have been caught and fined for employing illegal workers, looks good but none of these business's got the maximum fine in fact the amounts they had to pay were substantially lower.

Many of these workplaces were restaurants or takeaways although some factories employed quite a high number of illegal workers, if the government/Courts were to impose the maximum fine directly on to the directors/partners of the company personally (or the proprietors of the business if a non Ltd Company) for each illegal worker they employ and tripling the fines for repeat offenders the majority of employers would not take the risk.

If employment was not as readily available in the uk as it is at present this would make a much less atractive destination for economic migrants. the knock on benefit to the public purse would be huge.

All the time people find the benefits of employing illegal workers outweigh the risk of gettng caught and having heavy fines imposed

on them personally this problem will continue.

If Directors of Companies continue to flout the law, ban them from acting as Directors or the running of business's for 5 years or so.

Illegal workers are often exploited, and often do not contribute to our tax system, the situation is simply unsustainable in the long term.

I am sure my views may not be well recieved by some and it would be interesting to here alternative proposals to resolve what is a very serious problem worldwide.

Roy gsd

So is this effectively making it easier for my thai wife (whos never applied for any visa) to come to the UK for a holiday with little problem ??

I'm not sure it does make it easier. They seem to be implying that if you want to sponsor a "family visit", you have to be licensed - so, another application and another fee even before the visa itself is applied for? All visits except some tour group arrangements will still be allowed up to 6 months, so the only advantage of having a family visit visa is the right of appeal, which is not a lot of use if the appeal date is months after the intended visit.

A lot of the statement is spin and recycling of the status quo, in my opinion.

Border and Immigration Minister Liam Byrne said:

"We want the UK to stay open and attractive for both business and visitors. But at the same time we are determined to deliver a system of border security which is among the most secure in the world."

:o:D:D:D:D:D:DB):D ............., most secure in the world....., its easier to get somebody into this country illegally than it is by going the legal route!!!!! Probably cheaper too, haha.

Most secure in the world......., he's got one hope :burp: . Still, when did a politician ever let reality get in the way of a good sound bite.