Wood Fired Ovens

Somtamnication

We want to build one in our place. If you know of any reputable builders, please let me know.

Tks!

There is a company that advertises pretty regularly in the Phuket Gazette classifieds. If you search their classifieds about 60 days, you should see the ad.

Ok, tks.

found it:

Artisan wood-fired Pizza ovens with refractory bricks. Built in 7 days, any size and style for pizzeria or restaurant. Prices start at 120,000 baht. Email for details: [email protected] Show oven for viewing in Rawai. Call to view. Tel: 084-0603477. We speak Italian, English and Thai.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/classifieds/d...6037&Cat=21

'

120,000 Baht sounds a bit steep to me.

I'd be Googling "Brick Pizza Ovens- How To Make"

The first one I came across looks great :-

http://www.fornobravo.com/pompeii_oven/pompeii_oven.html

Lots more if you delve deeper.

Cheers & Good Luck

P.S. A couple of Thai guys built one for the local Pizza restaurant here at Nai Yang and I bet they didn't pay 120,000. I could check it out when they return from holidays in a month or 2 if you are still interested

That price must be for a commerical oven, I have seen domestic plans on the web in the recent past - even printed out and talked through with a Thai builder would I expect to be in the range of 10,000 Baht or so.

• 9 months later...

Used in making ceramics. Siam Cement has a line and operates a store in Lampang with everything you need from bricks to motar. Most of the ovens that are seen in Thailand are made from regular fireplace brick. Not a bad substitute.

I can't remember how I found them but I think it was a google search for siam refractory.

While I love the wood fired ovens they are not the most efficient way to make pizza. I have 2 ovens and if I had to do it over I would make it so the fire was under the brick floor and the fire was vented to the cooking chamber and then out through the flue. A little more complicated but a 100 times more efficient.

The sites listed above give good advice on building oven and you can buy books on the subject from Amazon.

I believe my ovens cost me some where in the ballpark of 60,000 to 70,000 Baht each. Both are different styles and made completely different. When building a big oven outside with refractory brick and regular brick and cement and no ceramic blanket you can do it for 30,000 Baht without labor. Do not expect that the local labor force will be able to build it for you. It is a hands on job with grunt helpers. The second oven was with a steel frame, all refractory brick and a ceramic blanket wrapped with chicken wire and a thin coat of cement. This one is inside and does still get a little hot. I could have wrapped it again.