It's All What You Get Used To ...

Jingthing

So I live in Pattaya, and am visiting the USA. A friend dragged me to the Eagle on naughty night and the bar is filled with men mostly over 40 up, almost nobody under 30. And they are cruising EACH OTHER. I found it bizarre, depressing, and not fun. Like if all the young Thai men left Pattaya and only the old farangs were left to select each other. A bar in Thailand with a crowd like that wouldn't sell drink one, but this place was packed.

I guess you can't go home again (and see it the same way).

Edited by Jingthing

So I live in Pattaya, and am visiting the USA. A friend dragged me to the Eagle on naughty night and the bar is filled with men mostly over 40 up, almost nobody under 30. And they are cruising EACH OTHER. I found it bizarre, depressing, and not fun. Like if all the young Thai men left Pattaya and only the old farangs were left to select each other. A bar in Thailand with a crowd like that wouldn't sell drink one, but this place was packed.

its much the same for the older straight guys visiting a bar " back home ",the girls are either young and wouldnt look twice or old women that you wouldnt want, thank god for thailand ! :o

Mature guys can be fun! They know where and what and who they are, there's no angst, there's no drama, and they know a heckuva lot better what they're doing. Plus they're usually employed and so forth. I like younger guys, too- the cuteness is nice- but they can be sooo much more work and high-maintenance attention-wise.

Mature guys can be fun! They know where and what and who they are, there's no angst, there's no drama, and they know a heckuva lot better what they're doing. Plus they're usually employed and so forth. I like younger guys, too- the cuteness is nice- but they can be sooo much more work and high-maintenance attention-wise.

I second that. Not all of us here are into "young and slim". Best for me are over 35 yrs.

So this is good news. The Eagle in L.A.? I'll stop by.

You have to take each "scene " for what it is . Young guys aren't as great as they seem and older men aren't as bad as they look , often what pleases our eye is not so satisfying to the touch.

Maybe it's the Eagle Fort Lauderdale . fond memories.

You also come home with all your clothes smelling of cigarettes. So very glamorous. Looking forward to returning to Thailand soon!

I also had fond memories of these kinds of places, but the reality of them after living in Thailand does not match up to the memories ...

I am only noting as an expat your attitude tends to get adjusted. Not that I am trashing America or the west. Some things are better in the west, some things worse.

Edited by Jingthing

Even here in Thailand, I find a whole lot of the older guys to be great. First of all, they tend to look a lot younger than they are--if your looking for youth, second, they are much more mature and finally, you can actually end up with a friendship.

Youth and beauty are of course, hard to resist, but sometimes there is so much immaturity and unrealistic expectations that it just isn't really workable.

When I saw the title of this thread, it reminded me of the country and western gay bar to which my Vietnamese boyfriend dragged me in Houston. I was nearly the only non-Asian in the building. The comments here also remind me of the young Guamanian waiter that I flirted with at a restaurant, who said "The older men are, the better they are!"

Well I think its great to have a bar full of mature guys out picking each other up and not getting hung up on having to be with a 20 year old chimpie..Good on them I say and I bet they have a hel_l of a good time without the stress. 40+ :o

Edited by bluemanna

I once went to a gay disco in Hong Kong and was cruised by an older Air Canada pilot. He wasn't at all interested in the cute young Chinese guys - just little old me! Couldn't believe it - never happened before.

I noticed the same phenomenem on a trip to UK a few months back. Only older guys in the bars - the one's with an ingrained closet/Gay village mentality.

It seems the newly liberated younger generation no longer feel the need to restrict themselves to gay bars. These days they're more likely to be found in some straight disco bar with their fag hag friends arguing over who is the cutest straight, (or maybe?) guy there. And its a vicious circle: young western guys aren't going to go to a gay bar packed with older guys leering at them (unless they are Rommanians looking for tricks :o ).

So the purpose of the gay bar has changed - you don't need them to find sex anymore if you have an internet connection!

Regardless of the number of replies here where you guys are saying 'I'm into older men ... etc'; I strongly suspect that you are very much in the minority in Thailand.

Where are the replies from the Thailand young guy seekers? ... they're too busy with their young friends or throwing up their breakfasts after reading this thread.

Kek, your probably right, but there are guys who are into older men. I know a very good-looking, professional Thai guy who only shows interest in the 50+ farang crowd. I am afraid that many folks forget that some older guys can be in great shape and very active. The stereotype of the fat old farang hobbling around with the 22 year old Thai jumps to mind, but remember it's a stereotype.

Different strokes for different folks.

Kek, your probably right, but there are guys who are into older men. I know a very good-looking, professional Thai guy who only shows interest in the 50+ farang crowd. I am afraid that many folks forget that some older guys can be in great shape and very active. The stereotype of the fat old farang hobbling around with the 22 year old Thai jumps to mind, but remember it's a stereotype.

Different strokes for different folks.

In Pattaya, it really is a stereotype that is so very common that it starts to appear very normal. That is why when I encountered "normal" behavior in the west, it now looks strange and decidedly unappetizing.

In Thailand, an older farang/older Thai couple would be a real statistical oddity compared to the more typical "normal for Thailand" cross-generational pairing. Thats just the way it is, and just the way alot of us, most really, like it, lets not be hypocrites about it, exceptions always understood.

Edited by Jingthing