Dependent Non O

A lot has been discussed about obtaining a Non O dependent visa for wife and /or children of Non Thai origin.

In my case having 2 children born in Thailand and we the parents,and the children for that matter are all NON Thai.

In fact my (legal) wife is Laotian.

Let me first start with the procedure.

1 of the parents MUST have a Non O as required by Thai Law.

They must obtain there NON O (3 months)visa OUTSIDE Thailand before they can Aplly INSIDE Thailand for their (dependent) NON O "whatever"visa.

They must be legally married or have a notary public deposed Living arrangement made up,if you require your spouse to come and live with you.

In my case where my son was born outside of wetlock i needed housingpapers (tabien baan)to registar my son and got him a non O

Our daughter born within wedlock has just obtained her dependentvisa in NongKhai.

again

first outside thailand a NonO 3 months visa and then within Thailand a dependentvisa.

Actions that can easy your procedure.

1. try to show them that you have made an effort to comply with the rules such as up to date banking copys and a day or 2 old bankingstatement.

2. Have our income certification (if needed) legalized at mofa Thai.

3.Take with you all your "proof" iow all the original (legalized) documents of which you present a copy.

up to date map of your livingquorters

Housingpapers and of course if a child is involved the original legalized birthcertificate

My livingrule is this.................

"Those who forget to prepair themself are excally prepairing themselfself to be forgotten".

good luck to all who need to apply

HGMA

post-28792-1214708951.jpg

Thnaks - that account should be helpful to some in similar situations.

I believe a parent must be on a one year extension of stay rather than "1 of the parents MUST have a Non O as required by Thai Law." Using multi entry non immigrant O visa entries would not qualify in my understanding.

treu

but than a multiple entry non O is not a inside thailand required non o is it?

Thnaks - that account should be helpful to some in similar situations.

I believe a parent must be on a one year extension of stay rather than "1 of the parents MUST have a Non O as required by Thai Law." Using multi entry non immigrant O visa entries would not qualify in my understanding.

Extensions of stay are not visas - a one year extension of stay is marked with a reason not a visa class such as B or O. The point is you have an extension of stay, not a non immigrant O visa, so were allowed to follow this process. The person here on a single or multi entry non immigrant O visa would not have been allowed to do so.

I am dazzled

surely you must have a "nonO visa" to get a driverslicence or housingspapers or .....etc etc.

an extension of stay is not a visa?????

on what grounds (legally speaking we, my family and I) are we staying in thailand then?

Extension of stay is marked with a reason?

what other reason then the same reason to apply for a non o in the first place....???? money!!!

i am sorry i dont get your point

The point i am trying to make is.....

no matter what nonO visa you have obtained within Thailand(that exludes multiple non o) you have to apply outside Thailand for a dependent visa in the same wayas you where appling for a non o In thailand for your own.except the marriage and /or birthcertificate.

as far as whe are concerned

we have a non 0 retirement O visa which allowes us to engage socially in Thailand.

hgma

quote name='lopburi3' date='2008-06-29 14:12:43' post='2059434']

Extensions of stay are not visas - a one year extension of stay is marked with a reason not a visa class such as B or O. The point is you have an extension of stay, not a non immigrant O visa, so were allowed to follow this process. The person here on a single or multi entry non immigrant O visa would not have been allowed to do so.

You enter Thailand with a Non O Visa, or have it issued at Immigration in Thailand by upgrading your Tourist Visa or 30 day stamp.

When the original Non O expires you apply for an Extension of Stay for a year. You have to re apply every year.

Your original Non O Visa is expired, finished. You are staying here on Annual Extensions of stay if you qualify.

You also have to report your address to Immigration every 90 days.

This is the official Immigration Order in English relating to temporary extensions of stay which is what you have.

Edited by Lite Beer

...an extension of stay is not a visa?????

Correct. An extension of stay is not a visa.

A visa allows you to travel to Thailand.

Upon arrival in Thailand the immigration officer puts an entry stamp in you passport with the permission to stay (admitted <date> until <date>)

An extension of stay is an extension of the period you are permitted to stay in Thailand, ie the permission to stay that you received when you entered Thailand or when you last extended your stay.

--

Maestro

...an extension of stay is not a visa?????

Correct. An extension of stay is not a visa.

A visa allows you to travel to Thailand.

Upon arrival in Thailand the immigration officer puts an entry stamp in you passport with the permission to stay (admitted <date> until <date>)

An extension of stay is an extension of the period you are permitted to stay in Thailand, ie an extension of the permission to stay that you received when you entered Thailand or when you last extended your stay.

--

Maestro

...on what grounds (legally speaking we, my family and I) are we staying in thailand then?...

One would have to see your passports to be able to answer this question.

--

Maestro

He already said he has a retirement visa.

It sounds like what he doesn't understand is the difference between the visa and the extension.

Thats what he said Terry. Plus he is over 50 so that seems to be what he has. A years extension of stay based on retirement. His family as his dependents.

... Plus he is over 50...

Is he? The only mention of 50 beside yours is in Astral’s “Unless you are over 50, I cannot see you getting a one year extension of an O visa.” Did I miss something?

--

Maestro

Post #5 but quotes are bad so hard to find and not clear that it is an extension of stay - an earlier post in March did indicate an extension of stay:

we have a non 0 retirement O visa which allowes us to engage socially in Thailand.

hgma

He has posted a good account and only wanted to caution readers that this matching visa/extension was only available because he had an extension of stay rather than a 90 day visa entry which his original post seems to indicate is the qualifier.

OK now I understand.

Is your Non O visa a multi-entry, or have you already obtained a one year extension??

If it is multi-entry you need to go to immigration with proof of 800K in the bank or

65K per month, or a combination totaling 800K for the year. Then they will give you a

one year extension.

Once you have this extension and you are legally married you can apply for your wife and children to

also get one year extensions based on your visa.

...Is your Non O visa a multi-entry, or have you already obtained a one year extension??

From what I understand now, the husband already has an annual extension for retirement, his wife and two children have extensions of stay as his dependants. This means that all four family members are in Thailand on the basis of extensions of stay.

--

Maestro

OP mentions his two kids were born in Thailand (unless I'm mistaken) makes them Thai citizens, he can apply for extension on basis of retirement visa over 50 yrs old with Thai children? don't know what wife status is on this.

... Plus he is over 50...

Is he? The only mention of 50 beside yours is in Astral’s “Unless you are over 50, I cannot see you getting a one year extension of an O visa.” Did I miss something?

--

Maestro

Sorry M . I looked at his profile and for once he actually has some info on there.

OP mentions his two kids were born in Thailand (unless I'm mistaken) makes them Thai citizens, he can apply for extension on basis of retirement visa over 50 yrs old with Thai children? don't know what wife status is on this.

However are the kids Thai ? :o

Children born in Thailand do not obtain Thai citizenship. Parents were not Thai.

Children born in Thailand do not obtain Thai citizenship. Parents were not Thai.

According to some Thai Embassy websites they do, if both parents were legaly in Thailand. http://www.thaiembassy.co.za/Workspace/E02...Nationality.pdf

However the Thai nationality act states: if the father or mother is " the person having been permitted to stay temporarily in the kingdom" the child does not aquire Thai nationailty. http://burmalibrary.org/docs3/THAILAND'...onality_Act.htm

I would like to thank everybody for his effort in reading and understanding the by me posted topic.

Its very interresting to read how various people with (i assume) various background are able to "read" the Thai Law on Immigration.

As for me?

The only thing which is importent to me is the fact that we as a family can live in Thailand on the border with Laos.

Thanks again.

Fam.HGMA

I would like to thank everybody for his effort in reading and understanding the by me posted topic.

Its very interresting to read how various people with (i assume) various background are able to "read" the Thai Law on Immigration.

As for me?

The only thing which is importent to me is the fact that we as a family can live in Thailand on the border with Laos.

Thanks again.

Fam.HGMA

Good for you mate. :o

Just be sure you know how to keep it that way