Reccomend An Exercise Machine

telaksslave

Once you’ve figured out what machine you want, ask around amongst your friends if they know of anyone willing to sell an unwanted machine.

I’ve known people buy them with good intentions and loose interest, not saying you will. The Thais refer to exercise machines jokingly as coat hangers.

i would like an alround exercise machine to mainly lose weight im not out to b a mr universe just to get fit from home and burn some calories up im 53 now so its not easy, where can you reccomend to buy and what make and type of machine

I'm not questioning your motivation, self discipline and &/or dedication, but I'm of the opinion that most (not all) home excercise machines end being used as indoor clothes hangers.

Do you have a local gym, at all?

The effort to attend is invariably repaid in your increased fitness level and body shape as well as self-confidence.

Plus, there's often some grade A totty working up a sweat for your inspiration and entertainment. :o

But this may be what you're looking for (accessories not included, but available at your local gym - batteries may be required):

Edited by SebD

Save your money. All you need is an exercise mat. Look on the internet for an excercise program.

During TV commercials get up and walk. Before lunch put on your favourite music and dance. Buy a timer and set it to go off every hour when you are at the computer. When it goes off get up and walk for 10 minutes. If you are in a hurry to lose some weight go on the soup burning diet. After the diet do not go back to eating rice, potatoes, sweet drinks, fry-ups, more than 2 alcohol drinks per day.

Or something simple and firm (but yeilding) to roll around on could offer a decent workout and bring on some quite sweaty excertions: :o

Edited by SebD

i would like an alround exercise machine to mainly lose weight im not out to b a mr universe just to get fit from home and burn some calories up im 53 now so its not easy, where can you reccomend to buy and what make and type of machine

The straight answer is that it will be very difficult for you to lose bodyfat with an exercise machine. Unless you strictly control your calorie intake it will be virtually impossible.

Most unfit or moderately fit people doing casual exercise would be hard pressed to burn 300 calories per hour. Considering your basal metabolism could be around 100 calories/hour, that's a net calorie burn of only 200 in an hour of moderate intensity exercise. 22 grams of fat, or 50 grams of carbohydrates would put that straight back....about a glass and a half of beer.

Think of the exercise as a health primer. Lose fat by calorie restricted dieting.

For reasons I won't go into, I can no longer play squash and football and am a similar age to you (53).

I spent quite a lot of time trying out various fitness regimes that I could replace these activities with, to at least keep up a level of fitness.

I soon realised that if you do not really enjoy doing something you grow to hate it and won't do it for long. So try some activities to see if you like them first. So in your case go to a gym for a month to see how it 'feels' using the equipment

If you find some equipment you quite like, then you may be able to buy it for your home.

Also, take a note of all your measurements, including weight, so you can be encouraged by the weight loss and better shape you achieve.

I settled on the following which I have done now for the last 3 years and still enjoy.

So each day I:

- Walk for at least an hour

- I bought some dumbells (just 2 at 6 KG and do several hundred lifts on each arm)

- I bought a mat a mat and a device I put behind my head to do a hundred sit-ups a day

- use every opportunity to walk - ie: park as far as I can from the supermarket entrance, walk up escalators etc...

- I bought some hand 'squeezers' and do hundred a day on each hand

Good luck with it. Obviously your diet is imporatrant as well - but you know that anyway

Edited by dsfbrit

If you live in a condo walk (or run) up the stairs (and down) instead of using the lifts.

Swim as often as you can.

Do some calisthetic (sp) exercises (Use Google and you'll find loads of websites with exercise regimes).

I agree doing exercises at home is much better than gym oriented unless you're into muscle bulking.

Buy an exercise mat that has exercise diagrams on it.

Those La La balls also include an exercise regime that gives muscle tone.

I'm statrting tonight myself!!

Or something simple and firm (but yeilding) to roll around on could offer a decent workout and bring on some quite sweaty excertions: :D

normal thing in pattaya its full of idiots, coming in with, retard comments, kiss it

You wanna lighten up (not just speaking metaphorically).

Most seem to agree that home excercise equipment is often a waste of time and space.

But if you can't even be motivated enough to get off that fat thing you invite me to kiss, to visit a few sport's shops, though, it's unlikely you'd excert it as far as your nearest gym - nor as far as your newly acquired multi-gym/clothes-horse. :o

And where did Pattay come into your reply, from? :D

If you really intend to start a home exercise program, the very best would be an elliptical machine.

They are very gentle on the knees and get your heart rate up easier than on other equipment because you are using your upper and lower body simultaneously.

For reasons I won't go into, I can no longer play squash and football and am a similar age to you (53).

I spent quite a lot of time trying out various fitness regimes that I could replace these activities with, to at least keep up a level of fitness.

I soon realised that if you do not really enjoy doing something you grow to hate it and won't do it for long. So try some activities to see if you like them first. So in your case go to a gym for a month to see how it 'feels' using the equipment

If you find some equipment you quite like, then you may be able to buy it for your home.

Also, take a note of all your measurements, including weight, so you can be encouraged by the weight loss and better shape you achieve.

I settled on the following which I have done now for the last 3 years and still enjoy.

So each day I:

- Walk for at least an hour

- I bought some dumbells (just 2 at 6 KG and do several hundred lifts on each arm)

- I bought a mat a mat and a device I put behind my head to do a hundred sit-ups a day

- use every opportunity to walk - ie: park as far as I can from the supermarket entrance, walk up escalators etc...

- I bought some hand 'squeezers' and do hundred a day on each hand

Good luck with it. Obviously your diet is imporatrant as well - but you know that anyway

thank you very much, you talk with intelligence and understanding, i do know about calories i will give it a bash and walk to my office everyday thats about 1 and a half miles, if u see me, get that cardiac arrest mobile to come and get me :o) only joking

If you really intend to start a home exercise program, the very best would be an elliptical machine.

They are very gentle on the knees and get your heart rate up easier than on other equipment because you are using your upper and lower body simultaneously.

I would vote for a good rowing machine (like the Concept 2). It does a much better job of intergrating more muscle groups than an elliptical.

I would vote for a good rowing machine (like the Concept 2). It does a much better job of intergrating more muscle groups than an elliptical.

I use both of these machines regularly (Concept 2 rower & elliptical). I actually used to own one myself, but now use one at Tony's gym (they only have 2).

Although what you say about rowing is true, it's a very difficult exercise for people to keep up for 15 minutes or longer. An elliptical machine is much easier to use for a longer period of time. Rowing can also be problematic for people with back trouble/injuries.

A Concept 2 rower would have to be imported from the US. Home use Elliptical machines are readily available in Pattaya.

Join the Pattaya Hash on Mondays (it used to be) from the Scandinavian Bar on Beach Road / Lek Hotel.

Join in training sessions with Pattaya Panthers Rugby Club.

It is much easier - and more fun - to exercise with a group. If you use a home machine you will find all sorts of excuses not to exercise today - I'll do twice as much tomorrow.

And you'll find a new social group with at least a leaning towards fitness.

And you'll find a new social group with at least a leaning towards fitness. :o:D:D

The H3 - the Drinking Club with a Running problem

Rugby Clubs - just as famous for consuming large amounts of alcohol as actually playing a game.

He's only going to end up an alcoholic joining either of those two 'sporting' institutions.

And you'll find a new social group with at least a leaning towards fitness. :o:D:D

The H3 - the Drinking Club with a Running problem

Rugby Clubs - just as famous for consuming large amounts of alcohol as actually playing a game.

He's only going to end up an alcoholic joining either of those two 'sporting' institutions.

But it's more fun than dragging yourself on to a machine for an hour a day.

And I've spent my life playing rugby / hashing and similar. Now at the start of my seventies, still working, still fit.

(Still drinking :D )

[

Although what you say about rowing is true, it's a very difficult exercise for people to keep up for 15 minutes or longer. An elliptical machine is much easier to use for a longer period of time. Rowing can also be problematic for people with back trouble/injuries.

A Concept 2 rower would have to be imported from the US. Home use Elliptical machines are readily available in Pattaya.

I'm not trying to be argumentative but again I have to disagree. There's no reason someone who can to a long elliptical session should have any problem doing a similar rowing session as long as they keep the stroke rate and effort reasonable. And if weight loss is the goal, then doing some form of intervals on the rowing machine is a great way to get in a good but short workout. I agree with your statement about back problems--especially if they use poor form while rowing.

There was another thread where someone ordered a C2 and had it shipped. It went smoothly and IIRC the price was reasonable.

[

I'm not trying to be argumentative but again I have to disagree. There's no reason someone who can to a long elliptical session should have any problem doing a similar rowing session as long as they keep the stroke rate and effort reasonable. And if weight loss is the goal, then doing some form of intervals on the rowing machine is a great way to get in a good but short workout. I agree with your statement about back problems--especially if they use poor form while rowing.

There was another thread where someone ordered a C2 and had it shipped. It went smoothly and IIRC the price was reasonable.

I have extensive experience on both machines, and there's no doubt that it is far easier to maintain a high heart rate on an elliptical than a rower for longer periods of time. The elliptical is exceptional in this regard. Due to the pumping action of upper and lower body its burns more calories for what seems like less effort.

I'm not taking away from the rower at all because it is an exeptional piece of equipment, but if my goal was to burn maximum calories for 30 minutes to 1 hour, the elliptical would have to be the choice. Personally, although I have the fitness to row long time, I usually quit after 20 minutes due to the very tedious nature of the exercise.

A typical cardio routine for me goes something like this: rowing 20 minutes then elliptical for 30 - 45 minutes followed by treadmill for 15.

Get a cross trainer/elliptical. You do not need one with programs. You can buy one with the manual pressure adjuster. All you need is a clock, so if the battery goes flat or the computor fails, it doesnt matter. Then use it as follows. Warm up 3 minutes, lighter pressure. Sprint 90 seconds, higher pressure, at a rate that does not exhaust you and force a stop; (then slower at the reduced presure for one minute, after each sprint, except the last one). Iniitially make 2 repeat sprints, and build up to 4 X 90 second sprints. Cool down at the initial pressure for three minutes. Then do some stretching. Do your exercise daily, its only 15 minutes and thats all you need for superb heart and lung health, and fat loss. Diet to lose weight... forget about the non-scientific calories, the body has many compensatory mechanisms, thermic effect, homeostasis etc, so calories DONT COUNT. For diet, eat some fruit 45 minutes before the exercise, then try and go zero carbs till next day breakfast. No fruit, milk, bread, rice etc. You can eat unlimited meat, fat, eggs, cheese, veges, except spuds. Good training, lets know how it goes.

Edited by thomast

Get a cross trainer/elliptical. You do not need one with programs. You can buy one with the manual pressure adjuster. All you need is a clock, so if the battery goes flat or the computor fails, it doesnt matter. Then use it as follows. Warm up 3 minutes, lighter pressure. Sprint 90 seconds, higher pressure, at a rate that does not exhaust you and force a stop; (then slower at the reduced presure for one minute, after each sprint, except the last one). Iniitially make 2 repeat sprints, and build up to 4 X 90 second sprints. Cool down at the initial pressure for three minutes. Then do some stretching. Do your exercise daily, its only 15 minutes and thats all you need for superb heart and lung health, and fat loss. Diet to lose weight... forget about the non-scientific calories, the body has many compensatory mechanisms, thermic effect, homeostasis etc, so calories DONT COUNT. For diet, eat some fruit 45 minutes before the exercise, then try and go zero carbs till next day breakfast. No fruit, milk, bread, rice etc. You can eat unlimited meat, fat, eggs, cheese, veges, except spuds. Good training, lets know how it goes.

Forget calories? You must be joking?

If you don't burn more calories than you eat, you're never going to lose fat...this is science and basic physics.

A zero carb diet is unreasonable and totally unscientific....and unhealthy for anyone who wishes to gain a decent level of health and fitness.

A zero carb diet is unreasonable and totally unscientific....and unhealthy for anyone who wishes to gain a decent level of health and fitness.

We're in total agreement on this one. I'm a big proponent of lower carbs but even Atkins says to eat 20 grams during its induction phase. There are some interesting theories that fat accumulation is not as simple as calories in--calories out, but to tell someone who is trying to lose weight that they can eat unlimited amounts of meat, cheese, etc. is absurd.

I have extensive experience on both machines, and there's no doubt that it is far easier to maintain a high heart rate on an elliptical than a rower for longer periods of time. The elliptical is exceptional in this regard. Due to the pumping action of upper and lower body its burns more calories for what seems like less effort.

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree on this because my experience is the opposite. I find the elliptical tedious and boring but I really get into rowing. That being said, I no longer do hour-long intense cardio (>70% max HR). Instead I concentrate on shorter, more intense workouts, combined with longer, easier activity. The article below influenced that decision. As a matter of fact, it was this article that really got me started on the path towards achieving better health.

Case Against Cardio

Any exercise routine requires your full concentration. There are too many distractions trying to exercise at home.

You can turn part of your home into a gym with various machines, mirrors, mats etc. but it only takes one phone call or a nagging wife to bugger up your training routine.

Forget about exercising at home.

Swimming is the best exercise that you can do. Every muscle is worked with no impact on body joints.

Bicycle riding is the second best, again with no impact on body joints.....unless you hit a truck. :o

Jogging comes third. Running on grass or sand to reduce impact on body parts.

Skipping is an excellent cardiovascular workout and is comparable to running at 12kph when you consider the number of calories burned per minute. Skipping targets the calves, thighs, bottom, and shoulders, helping to keep these areas toned. It is a lower impact activity than running, is kinder to the joints and consequently, carries a smaller risk of injury.

Don't waste your money buying exercise machines. Look around and you. You can do chin ups on a branch of a tree. You can do sit ups anywhere. You can use rubber tie straps for resistance training. (rowing movement, arm curls, leg curls etc. If you want more resistance, double the tie straps.) You can jog in the park. You can punch a bag. You can use a rope for skipping.

.........and the list goes on.

Swimming is the best exercise that you can do. Every muscle is worked with no impact on body joints.

Bicycle riding is the second best, again with no impact on body joints.....unless you hit a truck. :o

Swimming is not the best exercise. It fails in a few areas.

1. It requires a lot of skill to perform satisfactorily in the pool. Years of training are required to achieve the swimming skills necessary to make swimming most beneficial, and that requires a very good coach.

2. Most people either swim too hard due to lack of swimming skills and end up puffed out very quickly (mostly due to oxygen deprevation), or swim too easy in breastroke at a level that hardly burns any calories at all.

3. The heartrate is lower due to the horizontal position and being supported in the water, so it's takes a lot more effort to burn the same amount of calories as land based exercises.

4. It doesn't strengthen the very important core supporting muscles around the spine.

5. It doesn't prevent or slow down bone density loss from aging as do other land based exercises.

Biking doesn't compare to rowing or elliptical trainers either. It's harder on the back and knees and doesn't exercise the upper body at all.

Biking doesn't compare to rowing or elliptical trainers either. It's harder on the back and knees and doesn't exercise the upper body at all.

I used to play rugby in the winter - race bikes during the summer. Spring and autumn were very hectic - rugger on Saturday afternoons, bike races starting around 6.00 a.m. Sunday mornings - training almost every evening.

The exercise when going up or down hills is very much related to upper body strength, as well as thighs and related muscles.

It shouldn't be hard on the back, if you ride correctly. But nowadays I see many professional racers who have poor technique - in that they'll suffer later. Good technique means that you get off the bike exhausted, bur can get back on again next day without any strains, aches or twists.

But I agree with MM that the Good Lord made our bodies to be used for natural movement, not to be geared up to machines for 'pretend' exercise. Get out in the fresh air and enjoy life.

(If you live in Bangkok this may not be possible)

I've been a swimming official for almost five years and have also helped coach a youth swim team. I also see some very old lap swimmers who pile up the meters. But my own attempt at trying to swim for fitness bears out Tropo's post. Even though I already had a good fitness base from running and cycling, I couldn't believe how wasted I was after swimming 50 meters the first time out. I worked on technique, did drills from a video, and tried to incorporate it, but I eventually decided I could use the time doing something more productive. Again, it's a great exercise for a lifetime if you can reach the skill level needed to do it aerobically.

I used to play rugby in the winter - race bikes during the summer. Spring and autumn were very hectic - rugger on Saturday afternoons, bike races starting around 6.00 a.m. Sunday mornings - training almost every evening.

The exercise when going up or down hills is very much related to upper body strength, as well as thighs and related muscles.

It shouldn't be hard on the back, if you ride correctly. But nowadays I see many professional racers who have poor technique - in that they'll suffer later. Good technique means that you get off the bike exhausted, bur can get back on again next day without any strains, aches or twists.

But I agree with MM that the Good Lord made our bodies to be used for natural movement, not to be geared up to machines for 'pretend' exercise. Get out in the fresh air and enjoy life.

(If you live in Bangkok this may not be possible)

The only cycling I enjoy is indoor cycling on a Lifecycle. It's a wonder machine. I can control all the parameters (rpm, resistance) instantly to create a very useful exercise session and monitor my heart rate and control it to a fine degree.

Outdoor cycling is too dangerous and difficult to control. You've got to allow for weather, wind, traffic and road surface conditions. Difficult and dangerous at night too...and there is always the chance of a mechanical fault or puncture.

I've been a swimming official for almost five years and have also helped coach a youth swim team. I also see some very old lap swimmers who pile up the meters. But my own attempt at trying to swim for fitness bears out Tropo's post. Even though I already had a good fitness base from running and cycling, I couldn't believe how wasted I was after swimming 50 meters the first time out. I worked on technique, did drills from a video, and tried to incorporate it, but I eventually decided I could use the time doing something more productive. Again, it's a great exercise for a lifetime if you can reach the skill level needed to do it aerobically.

I'm an avid lap swimmer myself. A lot of people think that the windedness they feel after a few laps is from exertion, when in actual fact it's from not getting enough air.

If anyone is sceptical of this, here's a great test. Try lap swimming with a snorkel. You'll probably find with a snorkel you can easily keep going for an hour. It's amazing how easy swimming can be if you can get enough air.

As you say, it's takes a long while to get to the point of swimming aerobically.

Edited by tropo